P3D v6

Jack Kenov

No kidding.  I don't even want to think how much money I spent re-buying airports and planes from p3d to msfs.  Probably a very large number.  

Ray Proudfoot
34 minutes ago, stephen speak said:

I know..it’s anything but a cheap hobby..my throttle pack alone was the better part of 3k..let alone all the other hardware I have..scenery etc

The beauty of hardware is it’s usually long lasting and is sim independent.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The beauty of hardware is it’s usually long lasting and is sim independent.

amen to that.  I think my favorite addon now is spad.next.  It has allowed for so much capability with different sims and airplane specific profiles. 

stephen speak
12 minutes ago, David Gray said:

amen to that.  I think my favorite addon now is spad.next.  It has allowed for so much capability with different sims and airplane specific profiles. 

You won’t get that to work with skalarki 

Ray Proudfoot
42 minutes ago, David Gray said:

I rely on GoFlight Interface Tool (GIT) by Pollypot for my GoFlight modules. Bought 20 years ago and still going strong.

A move to another sim would involve an awful lot of work to achieve a status quo.

Timm Rehberg
On 6/26/2023 at 5:24 PM, Andrew Wilson said:

Yes I recall there was an initial release, followed later by an Service Update 3 that was quite significant. 

I think it was 1998 that I started contributing to the FS98 community. My first sim was FS4 released in 1989!

You are destroying my imagination that you are just around 28 years old and a super-legend in flight sim development :D :D :D

Douglas Cheeseman
7 hours ago, stephen speak said:

Have you got the A320 base version?? As nothing else will work unless you have..I agree with msfs..not for me either 

Yes, A320 base and A321 expansion.

• Like 1
Miguel de gonzalo

As I always say , FSLabs is the TOP of every airplane addon, no discussion about that , so if FSLABS is moving to MSFS, I fairly trust them that MSFS is mature enough and that the sim is good enough and have enough tools to put all the tech that FSLABS has made in the last years …. No more to say. HELLO MSFS. 

Thanks FSLABS 

• Like 4
Martin von Dombrowski
15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Having purchased around 150 airports for P3D which adds up to around 3,000 GBP assuming an average of 20 quid a time I’m not prepared to throw all that away and start afresh on another simulator.

I’m sure there are plenty who had bought more than that but still preferred another sim. Hard to fathom really. But that’s their choice. I respect their decision and trust they respect mine.

https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/the-sunk-cost-fallacy

• Like 2
stephen speak
4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The alternative is not acceptable to me.

That’s fine if you’re an Arab oil baron

Ray Proudfoot
22 minutes ago, stephen speak said:

That’s fine if you’re an Arab oil baron

I don’t follow. We both know what the purpose of his post was. And in the P3Dv6 topic too! :rolleyes:

stephen speak
7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don’t follow. We both know what the purpose of his post was. And in the P3Dv6 topic too! :rolleyes:

Correct ray..I said to someone yesterday..the same as Duncan said to you about Concorde..if you want to discuss msfs..open another thread instead of keep hijacking the one 

• Like 1
Callum McLoughlin
19 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Having purchased around 150 airports for P3D which adds up to around 3,000 GBP assuming an average of 20 quid a time I’m not prepared to throw all that away and start afresh on another simulator.

I’m sure there are plenty who had bought more than that but still preferred another sim. Hard to fathom really. But that’s their choice. I respect their decision and trust they respect mine.

While you may well be ‘unconvincable’ - and that is fine, what you do with your money is entirely your business - I had been very much in the same boat. What I have found with MSFS is that the amount of freeware on flightsim.to which is genuinely very good, means I have spent money on 3x airports: EGCC, EGGP and EGLL.

Default is generally excellent. Freeware is excellent. Payware takes things to another level.

You don’t need to pay for much beyond planes to have fun in MSFS. Even the freeware (FBW A20N… No FSLabs yet, so hopefully I won’t get an Exocet missile through my virtual window for saying…. Is very flyable and very nice for zero pounds).

I bet even a few devs around here enjoy a bit of MSFS Airbus Freeware. Not that they’d admit it of course :P 

My journey with MSFS was as follows:

1. It was released. I was sceptical, thought it was a game for kids and would be another MS Flight debacle.

2. Some aircraft turned up and it looked nice, but I was too heavily invested in P3D.

3. My PC blew up, so I bought a new fancy one and decided to install MSFS first to see what I thought. One flight… mind blown. Hooked. I remember being on the BAVirtual Discord with @Riyad McCollin flying a circuit in the default A20N absolutely gobsmacked and like a kid at Christmas.

I cannot go back. Once you experience it now, there is no real return…. 

Have you tried it? If you haven’t in some time…. Give it a go. Humour me :P 

Oh, and before there is moaning about ‘not respecting other sims’…. I am not on commission… But I do care about Flight sim and I want people, passionately, to have the best experience they can. I have been doing this since 1995 on a crappy old computer with a CRT monitor. This really has been a major part of my life for 25 years :) 

I recall the same arguments with people on FS2004 and FSX, and those of us who had moved to P3D…….

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Callum McLoughlin

Last but not least… When the MSFS version of the Concorde arrives, I will be reaching for the tissues. I have turned my back on the sim, but not the dream.

I wont be wiping my eyes.

Anyway.. time to revisit the ITVV videos… I am ‘in the mood’ again ;):lol::lol::lol:

• Haha 3

Here is a comparaison between P3D V5 and MSFS for the new A300B4 addon in development, let's see what V6 will allow the dev in term of modeling and texturing.

A300.jpg

• Like 1
Norman Blackburn
41 minutes ago, Callum McLoughlin said:

I bet even a few devs around here enjoy a bit of MSFS Airbus Freeware.

We are maybe a little more fortunate than most since we get to play with a number of our own addons in MSFS :P 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
Miguel de gonzalo
46 minutes ago, Callum McLoughlin said:

While you may well be ‘unconvincable’ - and that is fine, what you do with your money is entirely your business - I had been very much in the same boat. What I have found with MSFS is that the amount of freeware on flightsim.to which is genuinely very good, means I have spent money on 3x airports: EGCC, EGGP and EGLL.

Default is generally excellent. Freeware is excellent. Payware takes things to another level.

You don’t need to pay for much beyond planes to have fun in MSFS. Even the freeware (FBW A20N… No FSLabs yet, so hopefully I won’t get an Exocet missile through my virtual window for saying…. Is very flyable and very nice for zero pounds).

I bet even a few devs around here enjoy a bit of MSFS Airbus Freeware. Not that they’d admit it of course :P 

1. It was released. I was sceptical, thought it was a game for kids and would be another MS Flight debacle.

2. Some aircraft turned up and it looked nice, but I was too heavily invested in P3D.

3. My PC blew up, so I bought a new fancy one and decided to install MSFS first to see what I thought. One flight… mind blown. Hooked. I remember being on the BAVirtual Discord with @Riyad McCollin flying a circuit in the default A20N absolutely gobsmacked and like a kid at Christmas.

Oh, and before there is moaning about ‘not respecting other sims’…. I am not on commission… But I do care about Flight sim and I want people, passionately, to have the best experience they can. I have been doing this since 1995 on a crappy old computer with a CRT monitor. This really has been a major part of my life for 25 years :) 

I recall the same arguments with people on FS2009 and FSX, and those of us who had moved to P3D…….

Any beer for this man ? :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Callum McLoughlin
4 minutes ago, Norman Blackburn said:

We are maybe a little more fortunate than most since we get to play with a number of our own addons in MSFS :P 

Such a tease ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
stephen speak
51 minutes ago, Callum McLoughlin said:

I recall the same arguments with people on FS2009 and FSX, and those of us who had moved to P3D…….

Callum..maybe that’s half of my problem..like you said you thought it was a game and not a serious sim..I can’t get past the fact it can be played on an Xbox and in my eyes..it’s a game..cue as you say Exocets..I’ve had many heated debates on loads of different forums and the msfs purists go straight for the jugular..yes the system specs are a lot less than for P3D..you could probably use it on a pentium 2 with 16mb ram and a voodoo 5 card..but I’ve still to be convinced..I’m a realist and will probably have to be convinced about v6..5.4 is doing it for me at the minute stable better performance than ever..we’ll have to see how v6 pans out next week 

Callum McLoughlin
5 minutes ago, stephen speak said:

Callum..maybe that’s half of my problem..like you said you thought it was a game and not a serious sim..I can’t get past the fact it can be played on an Xbox and in my eyes..it’s a game..cue as you say Exocets..I’ve had many heated debates on loads of different forums and the msfs purists go straight for the jugular..yes the system specs are a lot less than for P3D..you could probably use it on a pentium 2 with 16mb ram and a voodoo 5 card..but I’ve still to be convinced..I’m a realist and will probably have to be convinced about v6..5.4 is doing it for me at the minute stable better performance than ever..we’ll have to see how v6 pans out next week 

If you can find a way to get a cheap ticket to access it… Game pass, or something like that. Or even watch a friend on screen share… not sure if you’re a member of BAVirtual but someone will happily do it there (personal offer once I am back home next week) if you just want to ‘look’.

I agree on the face of it that the XBox stuff sounds a bit…. Beneath us, being frank - on board 100%. I also don’t like the fact we can’t have a proper WX radar.

It is all pros and cons. But the way it looks… I am very old fashioned but it is like dating a 20 year old… Yes it isn’t as worldly as someone who is 30… but its a thrill!!!!

Ray Proudfoot

@Callum McLoughlin, well constructed post. Starting with aircraft I have no real interest in the Airbus. I tried one many years ago (not FSL) and just didn’t like the display or instrumentation. I prefer Boeing. I have the GoFlight MCP which together with Pollypot’s software maps perfectly to the PMDG 737. It would never work with any Airbus.

I have a Fulcrum Yoke so again, not really suitable for an Airbus. The throttle quadrant is ordered and will be brilliant for every aircraft but especially Concorde.

As I said in an earlier post it’s the choice of aircraft that determines my choice of sim. I have just four payware in v5 and whilst 3 are available for MSFS it means buying again.

Looking at default airports in MSFS, EGCC was barely recognisable. Even on final flying over Cheadle and Heald Green it was hard to make out buildings I am familiar with. It would be necessary to buy many airports again. I just can’t convince myself it’s worthwhile.

I’ve said from the outset there were 3 red lines and those haven’t changed. 1) forced updates, 2) no historical weather and 3) no decent ATC program to match Radar Contact v4.

3) has improved with a couple of reasonable ones. The other two remain.

I attend a monthly flight sim meeting and play with MSFS each time. Yes, the low level views are great but I’m an IFR flyer rarely flying low level. With no cirrus and some dramatic clouds I’m not convinced of the visual attractiveness of MSFS’s weather.

Whilst P3D / AS / ASCA doesn’t have the ability to create live weather the same, the ability to have correct weather for a daytime departure anywhere in the world more than compensates. Especially important in hot countries for Concorde.

When I fly Concorde in v3 the scenery is grim due to scaling back settings to keep VAS acceptable. But once above 10,000ft it’s hands-on and I’m too busy to look out the window.

Regarding the arguments over FSX versus FS9 and all the previous ones I never saw the same vitriol then as I see now. I’m a moderator over at AvSim and I’ve been pilloried several times because I prefer P3D to MSFS. They don’t seem to accept people can have a different opinion. It’s here too but to a much lesser extent.

So I’m sorry. I’m no closer to buying now than a couple of years ago. When you’ve flown Concorde in 32-bit at 1920*1080 on a 4K monitor with crappy airport buildings the 64-bit in v5 ( and maybe v6) at 4K with highly detailed scenery is going to be transformational.

I rest my case. :D

• Sad 1
stephen speak
1 hour ago, Callum McLoughlin said:

If you can find a way to get a cheap ticket to access it… Game pass, or something like that. Or even watch a friend on screen share… not sure if you’re a member of BAVirtual but someone will happily do it there (personal offer once I am back home next week) if you just want to ‘look’.

I agree on the face of it that the XBox stuff sounds a bit…. Beneath us, being frank - on board 100%. I also don’t like the fact we can’t have a proper WX radar.

It is all pros and cons. But the way it looks… I am very old fashioned but it is like dating a 20 year old… Yes it isn’t as worldly as someone who is 30… but its a thrill!!!!

Callum..baw1244..been a member since 2000..I have seen some of the graphics/scenery my son in laws brother has it on Xbox and sent me a video of him flying over the rest and be thankful in Argyll near where I live ..looked good I must admit ..I am in holiday myself in the canaries until Saturday..I am just going to post a picture that shows the pricing for v6..a little bit disconcerting to say the least 

stephen speak

These are the new prices for v6..I think they’ve priced themselves out of the market..it will really have to be something special for me to pay that..and the personal license to be connected to the internet at all times..yes most are..but why??

IMG_1361.jpeg

Craig Baillie

Wouldn’t surprise me if v6 is gunned at the corporate players.

Lockheed have dined out long enough on us casual users not following the Eula.

Now they can’t threaten poking the Microsoft monster.

edit (following that screenshot): $60 for personal is about normal. That’s what I’m on (previously Academic)

stephen speak
2 minutes ago, Craig Baillie said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if v6 is gunned at the corporate players.

Lockheed have dined out long enough on us casual users not following the Eula.

Now they can’t threaten poking the Microsoft monster.

edit (following that screenshot): $60 for personal is about normal. That’s what I’m on (previously Academic)

Craig..I’m on the professional and $199 was more than enough 

Ray Proudfoot

I bought the Student Licence for v5 for £43.21.

Assuming an exchange rate of 1.26 to a pound v6 will cost £47.51.

Four quid more seems reasonable since March 2021.

I paid £49 in 2017 for P3Dv3.

stephen speak

@Ray Proudfoot..I don’t do the academic or personal as it’s now called..can’t be doing with the watermark..had that in v4 ..if they had kept the pricing the same I wouldn’t have had a problem..don’t get me wrong..I’m far from strapped for cash..but on the other side of the coin I’m not one for being ripped off..I always go for what I want at the price I’m willing to pay..now with the cost of living crisis..how many people with young mouths to feed are going to spend that amount and take food away from their kids..if that was me I’d know where my priorities would lie

Andrew Wilson
1 hour ago, stephen speak said:

These are the new prices for v6..I think they’ve priced themselves out of the market

Which market are you referring to? The gaming/entertainment market? I thought the consensus was that P3D didn't fit into this gaming category, and that it is more of a professional simulator platform?

It's logical that the price points would reflect this?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

image.thumb.png.779561ffcd8b284324afbb1bd8077fe1.png

..I don’t do the academic or personal as it’s now called..can’t be doing with the watermark..had that in v4 ..if they had kept the pricing the same I wouldn’t have had a problem..don’t get me wrong..I’m far from strapped for cash..but on the other side of the coin I’m not one for being ripped off..I always go for what I want at the price I’m willing to pay..now with the cost of living crisis..how many people with young mouths to feed are going to spend that amount and take food away from their kids..if that was me I’d know where my priorities would lie

well I hope you are happy now, as the watermark has been removed.

stephen speak
15 minutes ago, Jack Kenov said:

image.thumb.png.779561ffcd8b284324afbb1bd8077fe1.png

well I hope you are happy now, as the watermark has been removed.

Really??when did that happen..doesn’t say that on the photo I shared earlier 

3 minutes ago, stephen speak said:

The pic you shared is from Sunday the 25th

• Thanks 1
stephen speak
48 minutes ago, stephen speak said:

This might change things a bit

stephen speak

I wonder if this will be available..it worked in v4..went awol in v5..possibly back in v6..using the cockpit to cabin video camera..gsx is updating to show passengers in the cabin..so would be a nice touch 

Andrew Wilson
36 minutes ago, stephen speak said:

gsx is updating to show passengers in the cabin..so would be a nice touch 

MSFS only isn't it?

stephen speak
1 hour ago, Andrew Wilson said:

MSFS only isn't it?

Don’t know Andy..seen it on fselite..it wouldn’t surprise me tbh 

Craig Baillie

It says GSX Pro which is only for MSFS.

I laughed when I first saw the article but have to admit it would be an immersion boost looking from the outside and not seeing empty windows.

• Like 1
stephen speak
21 minutes ago, ChristopherLow said:

The watermark is absolutely NOT an issue in P3D.

Apparently the watermark has been removed..now that might be a game changer..no problem being connected to the internet all the time..easier for updates and probably for LM to check for piracy 

Ray Proudfoot
23 minutes ago, David Gray said:

Ray. Are you positive you can’t use spad.next to control your mcp?  I would think it’s possible. And if that’s the case you can use it in multiple sims with multiple planes 

here is their list.  
https://docs.spadnext.com/getting-started/supported-hardware

David, if I was seriously considering MSFS I would investigate alternatives. But I’m happy with P3D. If the day comes when P3D is not available then I’ll consider an alternative sim. Had FSL developed Concorde exclusively for MSFS then I would have moved albeit reluctantly.

But they haven’t and the only question mark is whether they’ll make it compatible with v6. Hopefully they will.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
stephen speak
9 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

David, if I was seriously considering MSFS I would investigate alternatives. But I’m happy with P3D. If the day comes when P3D is not available then I’ll consider an alternative sim. Had FSL developed Concorde exclusively for MSFS then I would have moved albeit reluctantly.

But they haven’t and the only question mark is whether they’ll make it compatible with v6. Hopefully they will.

37 minutes ago, David Gray said:

Ray. Are you positive you can’t use spad.next to control your mcp?  I would think it’s possible. And if that’s the case you can use it in multiple sims with multiple planes 

here is their list.  
https://docs.spadnext.com/getting-started/supported-hardware

David..I’ve just looked at that..skalarki homeline and proline..that’s impressive..doesn’t say desktop line but I think that’s homeline in a case..might look into this myself..I know when it started it was to use saitek on p3d from fsx..but it’s got a lot more on it now..very impressive..how much is the top version??

• Like 1