I just don't get it...

Luke Hall

You know, I just don't get what's up with P3D... My specs are in my signature. 

Sitting at Gate 104 EGKK, using UK2000, ORBX UK South, Chaseplane and all of the usual stuff. With all of my settings @medium, nothing maxed out, the view of the terminal through my A320 cockpit window is rendering between 17-19FPS. My CPU usage is about 35% and my GPU usage is about the same. Away from the field I'm getting about 40-50FPS if unlimited without vsync.

My system is blisteringly fast and neither the CPU or GPU are working hard, so what the hell is going on that means I only get these low frame rates? It doesn't make any difference if I max the settings in P3D out, it just increases the CPU and GPU utilisation but still doesn't max them out. If I reduce everything, it has barely any effect on overall FPS.

Weird.

• Like 1
Dennis Ahola

@Luke Hall I get around 20-40FPS at Gatwick depending on the direction I'm looking, I'm using FTX England along with Aerosoft Heathrow so It tends to put a heck of a load if you look in the direction Heathrow is, Also FTX England will mess your FPS a bit, I don't think you're alone with those FPS problems :(

8 hours ago, Alex Pugh said:

Are you using P3D 4.5?

Hi Alex. 4.5 client and content, 4.4 scenery (because life is too short to update right now). However... this problem has been around for many versions, so I don't feel that it's version specific.

2 hours ago, Andrew Wilson said:

Hi Luke,
I’m seeing the same here lately. UK2000 EGKK the frames are hit very hard. Maybe because it’s not optimised for V4?

Hi @Andrew Wilson. I guess it could be a factor but this has been a problem to some extent since the conception of P3D in it's current general form. Though the frame rate issue seems to be pretty general across the board, it does seem that UK2000 airports are suffering more than most. I get a very comfortable 40fps + at places like ORBX LOWI and AS EDDF.

I'm not by any means one of these FPS hysterical types that are so prolific on these forums - I just want to get enough output to limit to 30fps comfortably in all situations. With vsync, that gives me a very nice fluid experience. I mean, I like lots of other games like racing sims and FP shooters and even the most modern applications running at 4K with RTX and all of the eye candy are managing 200FPS+ on my system. Many argue that these kinds of apps are not performing the same complex mathematical calculations as flight sims, hence the superior performance. However, they are rendering UHD graphics that exceed the visual clarity of anything P3D can produce several times over, whilst still performing incredibly complex operations. Of course, they are more modern and use more advanced coding, but the discrepancy is just too great for that to be an explanation.

I have run extensive analysis of my PC during various P3D scenarios where performance is poor and have failed to find a single significant bottleneck anywhere. Certainly not in the CPU or GPU. Not in any of the I/O or busses and not in memory performance. And all of this whilst sitting still, at the gate where the system is only rendering a boring texture of a terminal building! 

Many people talk about optimisation being the key, but I can crank my settings right up or right down and the resulting change of FPS output is negligible, which leads me to suspect that this isn't the main problem. It's as if the core of the application is instructing itself to do all of the calculations, gather the information, then divide whatever output frequency it achieves by 3 or 4, then output it to the GPU. It's such an anathema. 

1 hour ago, Dennis Ahola said:

@Luke Hall I get around 20-40FPS at Gatwick depending on the direction I'm looking, I'm using FTX England along with Aerosoft Heathrow so It tends to put a heck of a load if you look in the direction Heathrow is, Also FTX England will mess your FPS a bit, I don't think you're alone with those FPS problems :(

Yeah, I agree. Direction of view certainly has a big impact, even if the actual view being rendered contains very little. 

Dennis Ahola
1 hour ago, Luke Hall said:

Yeah, I agree. Direction of view certainly has a big impact, even if the actual view being rendered contains very little. 

I wish there were some way around it but sadly enough we have to feel the pain a little even though we use the 9900K

I have seen similar things. GPU and CPU are running not even at half load, RAM usage is also okay, yet the frames go down. I have the feeling the New York area is prone to this. Huge amount of buildings to render. But why is the GPU not running at a higher load? 

12 hours ago, Luke Hall said:

My system is blisteringly fast and neither the CPU or GPU are working hard, so what the hell is going on that means I only get these low frame rates?

Exactly... 

Michal Szkodzinski
15 hours ago, Luke Hall said:

You know, I just don't get what's up with P3D... My specs are in my signature. 

Sitting at Gate 104 EGKK, using UK2000, ORBX UK South, Chaseplane and all of the usual stuff. With all of my settings @medium, nothing maxed out, the view of the terminal through my A320 cockpit window is rendering between 17-19FPS. My CPU usage is about 35% and my GPU usage is about the same. Away from the field I'm getting about 40-50FPS if unlimited without vsync.

My system is blisteringly fast and neither the CPU or GPU are working hard, so what the hell is going on that means I only get these low frame rates? It doesn't make any difference if I max the settings in P3D out, it just increases the CPU and GPU utilisation but still doesn't max them out. If I reduce everything, it has barely any effect on overall FPS.

Weird.

I have exactly the same rig as yours and I solved this problem with one silly thing ........ Set all the sliders in p3d to MAX. It sounds maybe idiotic but only then will you push the GPU to work more intensively which affects other things :)
FSLabs on EGKK from the cockpit 20 - 25 fps but with full graphics and smooth ( not in EGLL where fps when take off are 10 - 15...... )  Plus You can change  target fps in options in mcdu :)

Try it :)

Desktop Screenshot 2019.04.20 - 17.18.20.65.png

Desktop Screenshot 2019.04.20 - 17.18.28.75.png

Desktop Screenshot 2019.04.20 - 17.18.38.25.png

Desktop Screenshot 2019.04.20 - 17.18.45.49.png

procek.png

Desktop_Screenshot_2019_04.20_-_17_24_07_78.png

Joshua Williams

From what I understand about version upgrades LM is not the problem. Its the lack of available add ons to test against the version by the developers until its released. Some developers are on the Beta team but that is a very small minority. The frustratingly sad part is we as the consumer just have to wait until LM can fix the issue because developers with a wide range of products cant get to all of them in time.

Well here's an interesting twist... I uninstalled client and content 4.5 and reverted back to 4.4. I immediately have regained another 15FPS and am back to somewhere nearer my normal performance.

• Like 1
Doug Miannay
15 hours ago, Luke Hall said:

Well here's an interesting twist... I uninstalled client and content 4.5 and reverted back to 4.4. I immediately have regained another 15FPS and am back to somewhere nearer my normal performance.

Check out this thread on LM's Prepar3d Forum.  This has been verified and documented... and LM will have a hotfix sometime soon.

2 hours ago, Doug Miannay said:

Check out this thread on LM's Prepar3d Forum.  This has been verified and documented... and LM will have a hotfix sometime soon.

Yeah thanks! I saw that but somehow felt that "it couldn't happen to me"! I guess I was very wrong! :-)

• Haha 2