Uninstalling FS Spotlights problem

Ray Proudfoot

Ray Proudfoot

This is not a cry for help as I’ve resolved the situation but felt compelled to post because what happened shouldn’t have.

A couple of weeks ago I was getting the Enigma message even though my FS PC has no antivirus and I have a genuine copy of Concorde. I searched the forum and one or two posts pointed to FS Spotlights possibly being the reason. Given I never fly after dark I could think of no good reason to have Spotlights installed so I uninstalled it. That was the end of the Enigma messages.

Today when looking in Event Viewer I noticed several warnings about FSL service unable to start even though its set to Automatic. They went back several days to when I uninstalled Spotlights. I tried to start the service manually but a message appeared saying a file could not be found. I wondered if it could be related to uninstalling Spotlights.

So I downloaded and installed the latest version of Spotlights. Rebooted and the service was running. Why would uninstalling Spotlights cause the service to stop running and delete a file required for the service?

Anyway, there was worse to come. When I looked at my DLL.XML file there were only two entries in it. A dll one and Spotlights. No mention of the three FSL DLLs required for Concorde.

Fortunately I had a backup so was able to restore all the entries.

It would seem installing Spotlights cleans out the existing entries in DLL.XML. Anyone care to comment?

Lefteris Kalamaras

Ray,

the FSLSpotlights uninstaller should not delete the three other XML entries, only the Spotlights-related one.

The FSLService is only used for FSLSpotlights, so it makes sense it should be removed - not sure why it wasn't uninstalled however, it should also have been.

Ray Proudfoot

Hi Lefteris,

It wasn’t the uninstaller that removed those entries. It was the installer that did. It appears to have created a new DLL.XML overwriting the existing one.

I’m 100% certain of this as I’ve been flying a different aircraft in P3D for the last few days and if my DLL.XML didn’t contain the AS16 and FSUIPC entries I would have known about it.

Have a look at what the Spotlights installer does.