30hz vs 60hz?

Brad Zimmer

I keep reading that it is better to run P3d with 30hz and I have heard it is better to run 60hz.  I have tried both and I can't tell a performance difference (at least I don't think I can tell).  Can someone explain what the differences would be?  I am using  a GTX 1060 GPU and have a Dell 34" Curved display U3415W running at 3440 x 1440 QHD.  I run FXAA off, MSAA x4, ultra textures, and 16x filtering.  I use unlimited frames and gsync.  Should I benefit with 30hz or 60hz?  What should I be keeping an eye on with one over the other?  Sorry for a very open ended question but I have no clue about this.  Thanks

J0hannes Butz

I've got myself a GSync Monitor just before christmas, running it at 165hz. Below 40FPS and above the maximum hz of the monitor GSync "behaves similarly to VSync" is the thesis.

In theory it should be better for you to run at 60hz to have the Sim GSynced in the range between 40-60FPS.

As far as I have tested, GSync behaves a little more controlled even in "non-optimal ranges" compared to VSync, I'd personally recommend running your monitor at 60hz.

Just now, Johannes Butz said:

I've got myself a GSync Monitor just before christmas, running it at 165hz. Below 40FPS and above the maximum hz of the monitor GSync "behaves similarly to VSync" is the thesis.

In theory it should be better for you to run at 60hz to have the Sim GSynced in the range between 40-60FPS.

As far as I have tested, GSync behaves a little more controlled even in "non-optimal ranges" compared to VSync, I'd personally recommend running your monitor at 60hz.

Thank you.  I misspoke.  I have vsync on in P3d.  Should I be doing something with gsync instead?  I am not sure of the difference or where to change any settings.  Thanks!

J0hannes Butz
11 hours ago, Brad Zimmer said:

where to change any settings

You simply turn off VSync in P3D, right click on your desktop and open the Nvidia Control Panel. Once you're in there there will be a "set up GSync" tab (if connected correctly), I like to set it to "enable GSync in full screen and windowed mode" so you can use P3D and other games in full screen, borderless window mode and window mode without having to sacrifice GSync.

GSync (at the moment) only works with DisplayPort 1.2, so make sure your monitor is connected with that, and it will automatically sync any game/application that has VSync turned off.