Upgrading my PC (Rather than a new one)

Robbie Garrett

Robbie Garrett

All, 

My PC is roughly built in early 2018 with the upgrade of x2 NVME in the last two years (Bottlenecked by my CPU/Mobo).

My current specs:

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) | Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition | Intel i7 8700K 4.7GhZ  | Corsair H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler  | nVidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC GDDR5X | Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 RAM | 2x Samsung 980 Pro with HS 1TB  NVME M.2 | 2x Kingston  240GB HyperX 3K SSD | 8TB WD_BLACK  Ext SSD | Corsair RM Series 750X '80 + Gold' 750W Modular PSU | Windows 11 Version 22H2

I am wondering if it would be easy to transition to a new Mobo and CPU setup, presumably all my parts should work well?  What else in the above would I have to change. Just hoping I could reuse the case, and some of the non-redundant parts that I have.

I also recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11.  Changing Mobo should be okay for windows or would I have to re-purchase a new license key, or would the NVME be fine on a new mobo?   Looking at running MSFS (FSL whenever it's out) and using Adobe Premiere Pro for my YouTube channel.

• 2 weeks later...
Alexander Luzajic

Hmmmm. with exception of your GPU...you should still be good.....I it could be costly but if I am upgrading, I would go from scratch....Safest way. 

My take

• Like 1
stephen speak

i upgraded mine 3 years ago from an AMD A6 to a ryzen 5..3600X ..32gb ram still have my 1080ti works like a charm..windows ported over no problem..i just removed the old devices and run update and all was good

steve

Robbie Garrett

It would be sad to get rid of my GPU, as it's not a bad piece of equipment. But presumably not good enough for today's sims?

I see now we are DDR5 on the Motherboards, so presume the memory I have would also need upgrading?

With the NVMEs, are there any motherboards that have x3 M.2. NVME slots at GEN4/GEN5 speeds? I want to retire my x2 240GB SSDs and get a Samsung 990 Pro, so I'll have x2 Samsung 980 Pro and have a Samsung 999 Pro for Flight Sim.

On 12/24/2023 at 12:57 AM, Alexander Luzajic said:

Hmmmm. with exception of your GPU...you should still be good.....I it could be costly but if I am upgrading, I would go from scratch....Safest way. 

My take

21 hours ago, stephen speak said:

i upgraded mine 3 years ago from an AMD A6 to a ryzen 5..3600X ..32gb ram still have my 1080ti works like a charm..windows ported over no problem..i just removed the old devices and run update and all was good

steve

stephen speak
1 hour ago, Robbie Garrett said:

It would be sad to get rid of my GPU, as it's not a bad piece of equipment. But presumably not good enough for today's sims?

I see now we are DDR5 on the Motherboards, so presume the memory I have would also need upgrading?

With the NVMEs, are there any motherboards that have x3 M.2. NVME slots at GEN4/GEN5 speeds? I want to retire my x2 240GB SSDs and get a Samsung 990 Pro, so I'll have x2 Samsung 980 Pro and have a Samsung 999 Pro for Flight Sim.

DDR5 is the new standard that goes with the new generation of CPU’s..that also means new motherboard and CPU..I am still using my 1080ti I have had a few years..Google motherboards with multiple nvme slots in..I’m sure I seen an advertisement somewhere for one with 5 on it but I can’t remember where 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Hi Robbie. I would not presume anything until you try it.

The 1080ti is indeed an ‘old’ card by today’s standards. However, whilst I can’t advise on your needs for storage drives - especially since you do a lot of video editing work - I can tell you that card and your present system will run complex airliners on MSFS 2020 more than adequately. Forget about the demands of P3D, FSX or X-Plane. MSFS is an altogether different beast.

Are you aware the sim is on sale right now? You can buy the base package for a remarkable 36USD at the moment.

I’d have a good look at the three options of the sim available and buy one right now to try on your existing system. I think you’ll be in for a pleasant surprise.

• Like 1
stephen speak
4 minutes ago, David Arthur said:

The 1080ti is indeed an ‘old’ card by today’s standards. However, whilst I can’t advise on your needs for storage drives - especially since you do a lot of video editing work - I can tell you that card and your present system will run complex airliners on MSFS 2020 more than adequately. Forget about the demands of P3D, FSX or X-Plane. MSFS is an altogether different beast.

Are you aware the sim is on sale right now? You can buy the base package for a remarkable 36USD at the moment.

I’d have a good look at the three options of the sim available and buy one right now to try on your existing system. I think you’ll be in for a pleasant surprise.

MSFS is Not a lot of good if you can’t use FSLabs on it..p3d v5.4 uses more of CPU power than GPU..so for that the 1080ti is more than capable 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, stephen speak said:

MSFS is Not a lot of good if you can’t use FSLabs on it..p3d v5.4 uses more of CPU power than GPU..so for that the 1080ti is more than capable 

Standby for a shock Stephen but other aircraft are available in MSFS and as we know FSLabs are working hard right now to get their products into the sim for the enjoyment of it’s enormous user base B)

• Like 2
stephen speak
2 minutes ago, David Arthur said:

Standby for a shock Stephen but other aircraft are available in MSFS and as we know FSLabs are working hard right now to get their products into the sim for the enjoyment of it’s enormous user base B)

Stand by for a shock..this is the FSLabs forum..and is for support of FSLabs products..yes we know they’re working to get the product into that game..to me that’s what’s holding up porting it to p3d..we were promised nearly 2 years ago the NEO and A330 were coming out on p3d first..then msfs after..I still have screenshots of the original announcement incase FSLabs didn’t do as promised..yes we all know there’s more add-ons out there..it would be boring if there wasn’t 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, stephen speak said:

Stand by for a shock..this is the FSLabs forum..and is for support of FSLabs products..yes we know they’re working to get the product into that game..

Indeed we are and in the general discussion part of this forum the OP has asked for advice on upgrading his system to work with "the newer sims" that we know FSLabs are developing for.

I make no comment on existing platforms that I no longer use and I would not presume to second guess FSL's future development strategies. However, the OP has asked for advice specifically to do with upgrading to MSFS. His present system is actually rather more powerful and up to date than my own. I am suggesting he obtains a copy of the sim before he makes any upgrades to his system.

Here we have arrival into Ronald Reagan National with my thirteen year old cpu and my six year old gpu. Really looking forward to doing this with a FSLabs product soon:)

Edited by Norman Blackburn
video removed
  • Like 1
Norman Blackburn

we were promised nearly 2 years ago the NEO and A330 were coming out on p3d first

Hi Stephen

It may be Christmas day however I need to take you up on the above.

Nowhere was it promised so lets try not to make it sounds in someway it was never written.   We did say we expected it to come to P3D initially but things change.  

I still have screenshots of the original announcement incase FSLabs didn’t do as promised

No need for a screenshot - its right here 

Since that announcement others have been made, the primary one being that we are bringing existing products to the MSFS platform.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
stephen speak
1 hour ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Hi Stephen

It may be Christmas day however I need to take you up on the above.

Nowhere was it promised so lets try not to make it sounds in someway it was never written.   We did say we expected it to come to P3D initially but things change.  

No need for a screenshot - its right here 

Since that announcement others have been made, the primary one being that we are bringing existing products to the MSFS platform.

In all fairness Norman..this thread was about giving someone advice on upgrading his computer..but as in the past you get the I want it and want it now brigade chirping in..yes us p3d simmers are the same with the NEO and 330..god knows we’ve waited long enough..but this isn’t about that..we’re trying to give best advice as we can so someone can get the best out of your products..hope you had a good Christmas and have a happy new year 

steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Robbie Garrett

Hello,

I am roughly looking at MSFS 2020/MSFS 2024 or whatever FSL releases onto with the Concorde and the A32X series, as I'll mostly have time for the odd short/fast-haul ;)  Also need to consider editing 4K for the YouTube on Adobe Suite.

I am definitely thinking a DDR5 motherboard, that can take my existing x2 1TB NVME M.2. Samsung 980 Pro's and a new 2TB/4TB Samsung 990 Pro, which will retire my over 10 year old SSDs.    I am guessing the i9-14900K is the top of the range? I guess I could try the 1080ti but could get the flagship Nvidia product if that doesn't work out?

What about RAM?  Will my PSU still be good to continue?

On 12/26/2023 at 10:59 AM, stephen speak said:

DDR5 is the new standard that goes with the new generation of CPU’s..that also means new motherboard and CPU..I am still using my 1080ti I have had a few years..Google motherboards with multiple nvme slots in..I’m sure I seen an advertisement somewhere for one with 5 on it but I can’t remember where 

On 12/26/2023 at 11:45 AM, David Arthur said:

stephen speak
6 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Hello,

I am roughly looking at MSFS 2020/MSFS 2024 or whatever FSL releases onto with the Concorde and the A32X series, as I'll mostly have time for the odd short/fast-haul ;)  Also need to consider editing 4K for the YouTube on Adobe Suite.

I am definitely thinking a DDR5 motherboard, that can take my existing x2 1TB NVME M.2. Samsung 980 Pro's and a new 2TB/4TB Samsung 990 Pro, which will retire my over 10 year old SSDs.    I am guessing the i9-14900K is the top of the range? I guess I could try the 1080ti but could get the flagship Nvidia product if that doesn't work out?

What about RAM?  Will my PSU still be good to continue?

It all depends on what power the cpu takes..the rest should be ok..a bigger GPU you will most likely need at least an 850 watt psu..I have an evga 1000 watt modular supply in my bits cupboard ready for when I get a 3090ti

Alexander Luzajic
On 12/25/2023 at 6:19 AM, stephen speak said:

steve

I had to go from scratch 3 years ago and at the time when parts were scarce and way overpriced. But managed to built decent machine. And at the time I couldn't get any GPU (proper) and managed to scoop refurbished 2080TI and ever since I've been using it without any issues. Nothing overclocked in the box. When I finished I tried to see how everything runs without adding more HP and left it that way ever since. Very smooth. I wasn't concerned about any FPS because of smoothness I have. Although that FPS are where they need to be...LOL. 

Month ago MSFT had huge discount on MSFS2024 and after debating I bought and I've been flying ever since. First out of curiosity but I have to say that I am impressed with look and weather. Of course, except PMDG nothing decent to fly there, I won't go for FSL competition for the $$$ they are selling (gouging) their bird. It looks that everyone wants to take advantage of our valet...LOL. 

I am just hoping that FSL is somewhere close to the end with their testing and their product will be available sooner rather then latter. I was hoping that XMAS holidays would good time but....I was wrong, Again...

stephen speak
2 minutes ago, Alexander Luzajic said:

I had to go from scratch 3 years ago and at the time when parts were scarce and way overpriced. But managed to built decent machine. And at the time I couldn't get any GPU (proper) and managed to scoop refurbished 2080TI and ever since I've been using it without any issues. Nothing overclocked in the box. When I finished I tried to see how everything runs without adding more HP and left it that way ever since. Very smooth. I wasn't concerned about any FPS because of smoothness I have. Although that FPS are where they need to be...LOL. 

Month ago MSFT had huge discount on MSFS2024 and after debating I bought and I've been flying ever since. First out of curiosity but I have to say that I am impressed with look and weather. Of course, except PMDG nothing decent to fly there, I won't go for FSL competition for the $$$ they are selling (gouging) their bird. It looks that everyone wants to take advantage of our valet...LOL. 

I am just hoping that FSL is somewhere close to the end with their testing and their product will be available sooner rather then latter. I was hoping that XMAS holidays would good time but....I was wrong, Again...

You never said which Xmas holidays 

Alexander Luzajic
3 minutes ago, stephen speak said:

You never said which Xmas holidays 

LOl, true....Unfortunately can't comment more because I have no idea what is involved to make transfer and make new software but I am hoping it will be soon...

stephen speak
Just now, Alexander Luzajic said:

LOl, true....Unfortunately can't comment more because I have no idea what is involved to make transfer and make new software but I am hoping it will be soon...

We all are..apparently FSLabs are busy getting it ready for msfs..I’m sort of getting impatient and looking for a NEO that works in p3d..my patience only goes so far and nearly 2 years is more than enough..it’s a shame as FSLabs products are the best aircraft add on I’ve ever had 

Alexander Luzajic
1 hour ago, stephen speak said:

We all are..apparently FSLabs are busy getting it ready for msfs..I’m sort of getting impatient and looking for a NEO that works in p3d..my patience only goes so far and nearly 2 years is more than enough..it’s a shame as FSLabs products are the best aircraft add on I’ve ever had 

I am afraid it will be long wait....we'll see for how long....

stephen speak
Just now, Alexander Luzajic said:

I am afraid it will be long wait....we'll see for how long....

I know..as long as people’s computers can run it..that’s what this thread is about after all..I hope he manages to upgrade to a decent standard..don’t really think a new GPU will be needed at this moment though