A Possible GPU Upgrade (Although, not as of now)

Konrad Bergkvist

Konrad Bergkvist

Right, no one can get ahold of a solid GPU for a reasonable price. However, someday someone may. 

As it stands I have an MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Aero with 8 GB Memory. One day I'll upgrade, and thus any recommendation is very welcome. I'm considering the GTX 2060. Does anyone currently have it in their rig, and may want to share what their experience with it is like?

Thanks in advance, any help or guidance is appreciated.

K

Christopher Bourke

What sim do you use at the moment? V4 or V5? If you're in v4, you might as well just stick with the 1070 since VRAM isn't the biggest issue, but if you're in v5 you will lose out on 2 precious GB of VRAM to use, so do take that into consideration if you upgrade with v5.

In terms of performance, since i own one, it's a very nice card. Gets the job done well with reflections on high (or ultra if i feel greedy) but the VRAM can even get maxed out at some locations with heavy PBR usage in terms of the scenery and the aircraft itself, but I've only found one location so far (JetStream Designs Nantes), i upgraded from a GTX 1060 3GB and having double the VRAM for me really opened up the visuals path for me in the sim, and most 2060's can be overclocked safely quite far, i have mine on a 130 MHz Core OC and a 900 MHz Memory OC (stable!) at the moment. It handles all GPU intensive tasks well for me, and i virtually always stay around the 25-30 fps mark in very intensive regions, which is good enough for me.

That 1070 you own is still a powerful card though, and that VRAM you have shouldn't be taken lightly, as said earlier if you're in v5 then every GB counts, and I'd just stay with the 1070 to be safer in the VRAM department. Don't get me wrong, It's entirely possible to use the 2060 in v5, I've tested it out before, but you'll be on thin ice virtually all the time with the VRAM limits even with recent optimizations.

TL;DR, stay with the 1070 if you're in v5 because of the VRAM, go with the 2060 if you feel like it if you're still rocking v4.

• Like 1
Wilhelm Zwirchmayr
On 10/25/2021 at 8:00 PM, Konrad Bergkvist said:

Right, no one can get ahold of a solid GPU for a reasonable price. However, someday someone may. 

As it stands I have an MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Aero with 8 GB Memory. One day I'll upgrade, and thus any recommendation is very welcome. I'm considering the GTX 2060. Does anyone currently have it in their rig, and may want to share what their experience with it is like?

Thanks in advance, any help or guidance is appreciated.

K

Hi there,

you also have to consider the monitor resolution.

I used to have an HD resolution with a 1080TI nvidia and it worked optimally.
then i bought a wqhd monitor and then my problems started, especially when you flew to an airport at night.
then I ran the 2080TI and everything worked smoothly again.

now i have a 3080 MSI suprime and for a week it has also had a water cooling system

With FSLABS, the graphics card is more demanding and the clock rate remains stable thanks to the water cooling.
previously 80 ° C GPU and now max. 55 ° C

yes, I set my FPS to a fixed value of 30

• 2 weeks later...
Konrad Bergkvist
On 10/26/2021 at 1:10 AM, Christopher Bourke said:

What sim do you use at the moment? V4 or V5? If you're in v4, you might as well just stick with the 1070 since VRAM isn't the biggest issue, but if you're in v5 you will lose out on 2 precious GB of VRAM to use, so do take that into consideration if you upgrade with v5.

In terms of performance, since i own one, it's a very nice card. Gets the job done well with reflections on high (or ultra if i feel greedy) but the VRAM can even get maxed out at some locations with heavy PBR usage in terms of the scenery and the aircraft itself, but I've only found one location so far (JetStream Designs Nantes), i upgraded from a GTX 1060 3GB and having double the VRAM for me really opened up the visuals path for me in the sim, and most 2060's can be overclocked safely quite far, i have mine on a 130 MHz Core OC and a 900 MHz Memory OC (stable!) at the moment. It handles all GPU intensive tasks well for me, and i virtually always stay around the 25-30 fps mark in very intensive regions, which is good enough for me.

That 1070 you own is still a powerful card though, and that VRAM you have shouldn't be taken lightly, as said earlier if you're in v5 then every GB counts, and I'd just stay with the 1070 to be safer in the VRAM department. Don't get me wrong, It's entirely possible to use the 2060 in v5, I've tested it out before, but you'll be on thin ice virtually all the time with the VRAM limits even with recent optimizations.

TL;DR, stay with the 1070 if you're in v5 because of the VRAM, go with the 2060 if you feel like it if you're still rocking v4.

Hello,

I'm on P3D v4. I think you're right about staying with the 1070 while I'm on v4. So upgrading is due in the future. On a different note, what are your temperatures with the 1070 Aero? Depending on load mine stays within the 50-65 degree interval. Don't know if that's any good or if I shall clean it and also redo the thermal paste. Any take?

Thank you for your input & kind regards,

K

Konrad Bergkvist
On 10/29/2021 at 8:52 AM, Wilhelm Zwirchmayr said:

Hi there,

you also have to consider the monitor resolution.

I used to have an HD resolution with a 1080TI nvidia and it worked optimally.
then i bought a wqhd monitor and then my problems started, especially when you flew to an airport at night.
then I ran the 2080TI and everything worked smoothly again.

now i have a 3080 MSI suprime and for a week it has also had a water cooling system

With FSLABS, the graphics card is more demanding and the clock rate remains stable thanks to the water cooling.
previously 80 ° C GPU and now max. 55 ° C

yes, I set my FPS to a fixed value of 30

I run 1080p on two Acer 270R @ 60Hz. I don't fancy swapping my screens out. 

Regards,

K

Konrad Bergkvist
On 11/10/2021 at 6:57 AM, Rudy Fidao said:

Anyone running an AMD graphics card?

I am interested in the 6800XT or similar, one day.

In retrospect I should've probably built an all AMD Rig. The 6600, 6800, 6900 all seem really nice.

Regards,

K

Tom van der Elst
56 minutes ago, Konrad Bergkvist said:

In retrospect I should've probably built an all AMD Rig. The 6600, 6800, 6900 all seem really nice.

Regards,

K

Maybe, like me, you are a dinosaur who grew up wih flightsims loving

Geforce cards and hating ATI cards, it used to be quite an issue way back when.

It is still the reason I only ever buy Geforce components, I just don't have the guts to go to the dark side.

Christopher Bourke
5 hours ago, Konrad Bergkvist said:

Hello,

I'm on P3D v4. I think you're right about staying with the 1070 while I'm on v4. So upgrading is due in the future. On a different note, what are your temperatures with the 1070 Aero? Depending on load mine stays within the 50-65 degree interval. Don't know if that's any good or if I shall clean it and also redo the thermal paste. Any take?

Thank you for your input & kind regards,

K

I don't own a 1070 aero, so i wouldn't know, you can see my specs in my signature. But, for being under load while (i assume) in the sim at 65 degrees top sounds very good to me, nothing of concern there. And back to my previous point regarding the upgrade - yeah, you ought to stay with your 1070 if you're only going to be on v4 right now, a GPU upgrade is only justifiable if you're going to make the move to v5 any time soon.

Markus Burkhard
9 hours ago, Tom van der Elst said:

Geforce cards and hating ATI cards, it used to be quite an issue way back when.

It is still the reason I only ever buy Geforce components, I just don't have the guts to go to the dark side.

I know that you know, but I still want to reassure other readers of this topic that those issues are way in the past now. Just to prevent the forming of unfounded rumours: 

There's no issue with current AMD GPU cards regarding compatibility with flight simulators that would require anyone to choose Nvidia instead of AMD. There is no "dark side" and there's no reason to hate them.

No offence Tom, just wanting to prevent certain rumours to drag along forever :) 

Tom van der Elst
2 hours ago, Markus Burkhard said:

No offence Tom, just wanting to prevent certain rumours to drag along forever :) 

None taken, maybe I should've been clearer that that has been an issue a long time ago

and certainly is not an issue at all these days.

I just have that peculiar habit of not choosing ATI/AMD because of that period a long time ago.

Which might be plain stupid as there's lots of great stuff for good prices :D

cheers

Tom.

• Thanks 1