Strange ground “shadows” changing with view angle

Stu Antonio

Stu Antonio

I have some strange shadow areas on the ground that change with the view angle.
This happens in external as well as internal view. I've seen this on landings, during taxiing and on stand at several 3rd party airports.
Changing the shadow quality and draw distance does change the shadows a bit, but doesn't resolve the problem.

Does anyone know what may cause this? 
Thanks

Stu Antonio
Just now, Henrik Lieb said:

These are cloud shadows, you use envshade right?
It's a bit bugged in 5.1/5.2 currently.

Yeah, I niticed turning cloud shadows off „solves“ it. Correct, I use envshade.  I‘ll wait for them to fix it then.

Thanks! 

Stu Antonio
On 7/11/2021 at 9:43 PM, Henrik Lieb said:

These are cloud shadows, you use envshade right?
It's a bit bugged in 5.1/5.2 currently.

On 7/12/2021 at 2:42 PM, Atul Mishra said:

Yeah. I think it's envshade as well. I've had this since V5.1 actually. Not sure if others did.

TOGA's official response to the video and my question if this is related to Envshade: 

KLQ1CbI.png

So I guess it's LM's turn... 

Henrik Lieb
1 hour ago, Stu Antonio said:

TOGA's official response to the video and my question if this is related to Envshade: 

KLQ1CbI.png

So I guess it's LM's turn... 

Thanks for the info, can you give me the exact time and date? I try to recreate this, cause it never happend to me, thanks.

Stu Antonio
25 minutes ago, Henrik Lieb said:

can you give me the exact time and date?

Okay, I was able to successfully reproduce this (aircraft doesn't matter):

Try July 08th 2021 at SimWing's EDDM stand 330 with historical weather (ActiveSky: EDDM 080920Z 30004KT 270V350 9999 FEW007 SCT010 SCT025CB 19/17 Q1020 TEMPO BKN010)

I got the strange cloud shadow effect there.

But I admit, this can have so many reasons. AS settings, SkyForce settings, P3D setting... but who knows.

Matt Richards

I’ve seen on another thread somewhere that it’s caused by Activesky. Not sure if that’s correct as I’ve not had time to test it yet. I’m using stock shaders and I’ve seen it with those.

Stu Antonio

Yeah, it's obviously related to a specific cloud situation. I don't have this effect in 90% of the cases, but if the cloud coverage is just "right", these things appear....

Henrik Lieb
11 hours ago, Stu Antonio said:

Okay, I was able to successfully reproduce this (aircraft doesn't matter):

Try July 08th 2021 at SimWing's EDDM stand 330 with historical weather (ActiveSky: EDDM 080920Z 30004KT 270V350 9999 FEW007 SCT010 SCT025CB 19/17 Q1020 TEMPO BKN010)

I got the strange cloud shadow effect there.

But I admit, this can have so many reasons. AS settings, SkyForce settings, P3D setting... but who knows.

Thanks, after long testing with your metar other metars custom weather... I wasn't able to recreate this sadly. 
Here is short video: https://streamable.com/sksxgp

Stu Antonio
8 hours ago, Henrik Lieb said:

Thanks, after long testing with your metar other metars custom weather... I wasn't able to recreate this sadly. 
Here is short video: https://streamable.com/sksxgp

Okay, thanks for checking.
I was able to narrow it down with a user over in the LM forum. I could also reproduce it on the default situation with a overcast stratus layer 800-1200 ft.

It appears that as soon as the viewpoint (external or cockpit) "touches" the cloud layer, the visual bug appears. Even if no clouds are visible, the bug can still be seen when the system creates a very low cloud layer. In my above situation at EDDM, you can see FEW007, so my guess is that this somehow produced the error. A very low cloud layer by ActiveSky.

My approach now is to increase the "P3D cloud offset" in ActiveSky (which was "0" before) in order to prevent very low, close to the ground clouds.

Cheers

LM forum reference:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=143010&sid=70a62501822191d61602e1d5e0f2d312

• 2 weeks later...