PC Upgrade in time for SL

Timo Heller

Timo Heller

Hello folks,

for some(!) time now I've been dreaming about a PC Upgrade. Just recently I noticed one of my four RAMs died. So I guess now is the time. Last year I already upgraded to a GTX1070Ti, the upgrade I was looking at is as follows:

Intel Core i7-4820K                                         -> Intel Core i7-10700K
G.SKILL RipjawsZ DDR3 1866 C9 (4)3x4GB -> Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 C18 2x16GB
Asus P9X79 PRO                                             -> Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING

(And MAYBE, if availability and price change for GPUs update to a RTX2080 next year...)

For about 700eur, is there a better/cheaper way of getting a similar performance increase? I have no idea which of these components will actually bring a performance increase, could those with a similar system enlighten me? Also, would P3D V5 be happy with those specs (mainly the then already old GPU)?

Thank you in advance!

• Timo Heller changed the title to PC Upgrade in time for SL
klaus legrand

I guess for the MoBo and CPU / RAMM all of above is all good, the main issue at the moment is the GPU.

I was looking myself to upgrade my GPU specially since p3dv5, but given the market conditions i will wait ...9keep saying that since 6 months now)

I guess you can see my specs on my signature , and i am pretty happy with 30 to 50 fps with the FSL depending on the airports.

Hendrik Herryjanto

If you want to upgrade go for Ryzen 5600x combine with DDR4 3600Mhz C16 (you can either go for 16Gb or 32Gb, I found that 16Gb is no longer enough for my case).

Moved from Intel to AMD with 5800x combine it with Asus B550-F Strix and 32Gb 3600 C16 and have never been happier. Just doing PBO and curve optimiser. I was with Intel since I ever own a PC back in 96 and moving to AMD was a learning curve but defintely worth it. I had to read a lot regarding PBO and curve optimiser and how it all works.

Timo Heller

@klaus legrand Thanks for that input! Did you notice any downsides with that system or completely happy?

@Hendrik Herryjanto Interesting, I was thinking about the AMD switch too, but just as yourself I am completely new to that side. But the 5600 would actually be like 100 bucks cheaper for only a little decrease in performance (at least according to userbenchmarks). What GPU are you using with it? The 58 of course is a leage above, so hard to compare. Anyone else whith a similar setup, a AMD 56 with a GTX1070, who could give me an impression of the frames you are getting?

klaus legrand
6 hours ago, Timo Heller said:

@klaus legrand Thanks for that input! Did you notice any downsides with that system or completely happy?

100% Happy.. no..never !  I have balanced settings and seems to be a good compromise between smoothness graphics and what i have in the box...the experience is quite good i have to say.

Sometimes i struggle at some airports (YSSY for ex) and i would like maybe better screen resolution hence better GPU.

Hendrik Herryjanto
13 hours ago, Timo Heller said:

@Hendrik Herryjanto Interesting, I was thinking about the AMD switch too, but just as yourself I am completely new to that side. But the 5600 would actually be like 100 bucks cheaper for only a little decrease in performance (at least according to userbenchmarks). What GPU are you using with it? The 58 of course is a leage above, so hard to compare. Anyone else whith a similar setup, a AMD 56 with a GTX1070, who could give me an impression of the frames you are getting?

I am still using 1070 thanks to miner and scalppers.... lol..... my resolution is 2K with AI traffic as well. P3D config is mid-high setup wiht EA on. Running FSL on FB and FSDT products are smooth on 25-30FPS. The only thing to watch is VRAM is 1070 is only 8Gb. If you want to use LatinVFR product and FSDR KORD or FT KLAS, you need to lower your texture resolution to 1024 to not have VRAM OOM. Or you can turn off EA to get some more VRAM.

• Like 1
klaus legrand

@Hendrik Herryjanto exactly...i don't run EA and 2048 textures in 1440p  i have pretty much 30 fps 90% of the time.

Now i am not saying to buy a 1070 ...even myself i would like to have a brand new 3090 or RTX6800 but...times are difficult from that perspective

• Like 1
Timo Heller

So in the end I went for the system I picked first. Just finished the build and to my dissapointment I could barely see any improvement. The whole system is running at not even 30%. Do I need to reinstall P3D from scratch or what am I doing wrong here?

Sabine Meier
14 minutes ago, Timo Heller said:

So in the end I went for the system I picked first. Just finished the build and to my dissapointment I could barely see any improvement. The whole system is running at not even 30%. Do I need to reinstall P3D from scratch or what am I doing wrong here?

have you let p3d rebuild a new config?

Markus Burkhard
On 3/17/2021 at 5:31 PM, Timo Heller said:

So you upgraded the parts mentioned but you did not do a clean install of Windows?

Ivan Majetic

Format drives and install windows from scratch. Before you do that uninstall P3D, FSLabs Airbuses and the rest of addons that require uninstall prior to system reinstall so you can reuse the same license again. 

You can download windows installation file from microsoft, make a bootable usb and you will be done in no time. Last time I formatted my drives and reinstalled windows I took me literally less than 15 mins to have a fresh desktop on screen. 

• Like 1
Rafal Haczek
12 minutes ago, Ivan Majetic said:

You can download windows installation file from microsoft, make a bootable usb and you will be done in no time. Last time I formatted my drives and reinstalled windows I took me literally less than 15 mins to have a fresh desktop on screen. 

I am facing the necessity of Win10 reinstall, so you have just made my day. Thanks!

• Like 1
Ivan Majetic
37 minutes ago, Rafal Haczek said:

I am facing the necessity of Win10 reinstall, so you have just made my day. Thanks!

:) happy to hear that. 

Timo Heller

Yes, the windows install is quick, but the rest will be at least a day if not two. Got much more on this PC than just P3D and the other two sims... thats why I hesitated to take this step.

But if you can assure me that it will bring the expected increase in performance I will do it! Should I maybe first try with a clean install of P3D or is that just a waste of time?

Markus Burkhard
1 hour ago, Timo Heller said:

But if you can assure me that it will bring the expected increase in performance I will do it! Should I maybe first try with a clean install of P3D or is that just a waste of time?

You can try a clean P3D first of course, but generally after changing the heart of your system (CPU and mainboard), a clean install of Windows is always highly recommended. Personally I'd wipe the SSD clean and start fresh.

Now since you will do a clean install of P3D, have you thought about upgrading to version 5? This would unlock the full potential of your new hardware. Remaining on version 4 will always limit system performance due to DirectX 11.

Timo Heller

Thanks for the quick reply Markus!

Yes I have indeed, but my 8Gb Vram still make me hesitate about the switch, with all those comments about the crashes...

Ray Proudfoot

@Timo Hellerbefore you wipe and start afresh try this. It won't do any harm and may just save you a lot of work.

Open Device Manager and open each hardware section. Highlight each entry and hit delete. When you have finished restart your PC. Windows will rescan every piece of hardware and reinstall the drivers. It could save you a ton of work and may fix the problem.

Radical I know but it's quite safe as Windows checks all your hardware when it boots anyway. Anything missing is added back into Device Manager.

Regarding VRAM and P3Dv5 I have Pilot's LEAL airport and it uses over 10Gb of my 11Gb VRAM. It probably adjusts to what memory you have because the same airport in v4 never used anything like that amount. Probably DX12 causing it. But I do run in 4K which uses 4 times the memory of 1920*1080.

Paul Parkin
45 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Timo Hellerbefore you wipe and start afresh try this. It won't do any harm and may just save you a lot of work.

Open Device Manager and open each hardware section. Highlight each entry and hit delete. When you have finished restart your PC. Windows will rescan every piece of hardware and reinstall the drivers. It could save you a ton of work and may fix the problem.

Radical I know but it's quite safe as Windows checks all your hardware when it boots anyway. Anything missing is added back into Device Manager.

Regarding VRAM and P3Dv5 I have Pilot's LEAL airport and it uses over 10Gb of my 11Gb VRAM. It probably adjusts to what memory you have because the same airport in v4 never used anything like that amount. Probably DX12 causing it. But I do run in 4K which uses 4 times the memory of 1920*1080.

If only Ray! It's the one airport that gives me a DXGI error without fail sadly.

Ray Proudfoot
26 minutes ago, Paul Parkin said:

If only Ray! It's the one airport that gives me a DXGI error without fail sadly.

Hard to comment without knowing your harware. No such problems there for me with the Vertx DA62 and Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25.

Paul Parkin
1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hard to comment without knowing your harware. No such problems there for me with the Vertx DA62 and Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25.

I'm on an RTX2080, with the FSL A320 it's a DXGI error at some point.

Ray Proudfoot
1 hour ago, Paul Parkin said:

I'm on an RTX2080, with the FSL A320 it's a DXGI error at some point.

With only 8Gb VRAM it’s not ideal for v5. Despite my 1080Ti being older its 11Gb helps. Use Riva Tuner SS to monitor your usage. Turn down graphics heavy settings.