Black Marble Extended Lights Pack

Brad Zimmer

I am currently using BM base and vector and was curious as to what people think of Extended lights pack?  Is there a noticeable difference or a gimmick?  Right now I get pop ups and lights shimmering in the distance and wanted to see if the extended lights pack would fix that.   There isn't much out there since you can't post BM stuff on Avsim.

Gregory Verba

Hi. My suggestion to you: don't get it! I have it and uninstalled it. Too much issues with ELP. Stutters , freezes and etc. There is no solution to this cause developer blaming p3d

• Like 1

Currently I have BM base and vector.  I also own Orbx Vector but it is not installed.  Is there anyone using BM base with Orbx Vector?  Is that possible or a better combo than BM base and vector?  What are the pluses and minuses?

On 2/15/2020 at 5:30 AM, Brad Zimmer said:

Currently I have BM base and vector.  I also own Orbx Vector but it is not installed.  Is there anyone using BM base with Orbx Vector?  Is that possible or a better combo than BM base and vector?  What are the pluses and minuses?

In short, yes, you can use BM with Vector, but it's not a simple process. Chris has a post up on the BM site the details what you need to do. The road lights with BM are really pretty, but by opting out of Orbx vector you miss everything else to include coastlines, parks, rail, beaches, et al.

My two cents is stick with Orbx. After a year of BM, I ended up reverting to Orbx in total. The trade off in detail is not worth the hassle of setup and fine tuning if you want to have a nice looking sim. My main issue with BM was how it supersedes everything and demands it's the top level of the library. Flying over really nice third party scenery only to be greeted with a huge line under a bridge (or sometimes doubled up bridges) got stale quickly. BM also doesn't play well with shader modifiers. Add to that Chris' opinions on the direction of the hobby and his rather callous manner in which he opines about other devs and it all leaves a sour taste in my mouth. 

Black Marble has good potential, but I am afraid it will get left in the dust as new technology develops and the hobby makes progress.

• Like 1