GPU Upgrade?

Brad Zimmer

I am looking to improve performance in my P3D environment in conjunction with FSlabs.  I use mid sliders and my pc specs are below.  As for settings, right now I use the following:

Right now I have pretty good performance except in low vis.  Frames are usually around 20 or so on the ground and 30-40 in cruise.  Would I benefit from a new GPU?  My fear is that I shell out the cash for a new card and not see an increase.  I was also told my pc couldn’t handle a 1080 or 2080 TI and that I should maybe look at an 8gb 2070 GTX.  I am pretty non technical so I was hoping you all could make some suggestions.  I might have access to a pretty inexpensive used 1080 TI, but if I can’t benefit from that, I’d look at a different one.  However, if going from my current card to a 2070 won’t do much, I guess I’d probably have to think about an entire new system.  Thoughts?

FXAA- Off

4SSAA

AA x 16

Texture resolution Medium

2560x1440x32

Vsynch - On

Triple Buffering - On

Unlimited Target Frame

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit)

Chassis: CM Storm Scout II Advanced w/ Side Window Black

Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Professional, Intel LGA 1151

Processor: Intel 6th Gen Core i7 6700K (4.6GHz Overclock) Quad Core

CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid Cooling

System Memory: 16GB Kingston DDR4 SDRAM 2400MHz

Graphics Processor: 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, PCI Express 3.0

System Power: 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply

Sound Card: 7.1 High Definition Integrated Audio

Primary Solid State Drive: 500GB Samsung EVO 850 Solid State Drive (SSD)

What about any newer hardware?

1 minute ago, Miguel Leandro said:

And you could try with 4xmsaa instead ssaa

I found that with MSAA at night, my lights shimmer significantly and the difference in FPS was very minimal.

Robert Sutherland
8 minutes ago, Brad Zimmer said:

What about any newer hardware?

The only reason I recommended the guide is because 6 euros is much less than spending much more on PC upgrades, and you might find it works to your expectation. 

Artur Araripe

RTX 2070 = GTX 1080. It's quite and upgrade and you would certainly notice a good performance jump. Although, I would not recommend going for an upgrade right now (unless you find a good deal), cuz the new nVidia lineup is coming in mid-2020. 

1 minute ago, Artur Araripe said:

RTX 2070 = GTX 1080. It's quite and upgrade and you would certainly notice a good performance jump. Although, I would not recommend going for an upgrade right now (unless you find a good deal), cuz the new nVidia lineup is coming in mid-2020. 

i think that new line up is certainly nice for the new sim

• Like 1
Artur Araripe

That's why i'd recommend waiting. It's promising, because it will counter AMDs next lineup and we all know what happens when NVIDIA desperately counters an upcoming - and rather promising - lineup. Remember the GTX 1080ti before the mining trend? It was less than 700 bucks and holds up well enough to this very day. It was and still is extremely powerful, price x performance ratio over the roof. Probably the most bang for the buck card ever released by Nvidia. They were trying to destroy VEGA. Turns out the GTX 1080 would do it alone, no need for the Titan variant. But now, the game is different, AMD sorta knows what they are doing and their next lineup might be really good (for real). So Nvidia will need to do something similar again, and we might see a SIGNIFICANT jump for once unlike lately where they have been only making it a tad better to say "hey, it's an upgrade". As if a 25% performance jump is somewhat acceptable LOL

We want more juice!!!!

9 minutes ago, Koen Meier said:

i think that new line up is certainly nice for the new sim

How about the 1080TI?  I can get one for pretty cheap.  Would my system be able to handle it to its full effect or would the 2070 be better?

Artur Araripe

Yea, your 6700K can definitely handle it without issues.

My friend had a 4790K + 1080ti and it was fine, let alone a 6th gen i7.

How cheap thou?