Joys of home simming.

Tom Cunningham

Tom Cunningham

I was a bit of a bold boy last night on a flight from Malaga to Corfu.

Part of the joys of home simming, I was having a few drinks while the flight was progressing.

All well until I decided the room was a bit cold so turned on the heating to get a bit of heat. and promptly fell asleep and missed my TOD point.

Brilliantly, the A32X followed the flightplan to the missed approach and entered the hold pattern, except as I'd missed the TOD, it entered the hold at FL350 and stayed there until I woke up about 10 mins later.

Lot of fun trying to descend and land after that, but I managed it somehow.

Ashamed to admit it, but I was glad I was only in the office room instead of a real office in the sky.

Anyone else have a similar story?

• Haha 3
Markus Burkhard

We should programme Norman to call the flight deck in case of the avionics registering a holding entry after TOD and never having left cruise ALT... I bet that chime would have woken you up just fine :D

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Marcel Semelka

How about a call from the cabin if you are in a holding longer than a set time (like 20-30min)?

Would be something like that somewhat realistic? Probably not... i assume its probably done the other way around, that the cockpit lets the cabin know about any delays...

Norman Blackburn
On 4/21/2019 at 3:01 AM, Markus Burkhard said:

We should programme Norman to call the flight deck in case of the avionics registering a holding entry after TOD and never having left cruise ALT... I bet that chime would have woken you up just fine :D

Those that know, know the cabin crew do call the flight deck in certain cases.

Chris Frasure
On 4/20/2019 at 4:00 PM, Tom Cunningham said:

I was a bit of a bold boy last night on a flight from Malaga to Corfu.

Part of the joys of home simming, I was having a few drinks while the flight was progressing.

All well until I decided the room was a bit cold so turned on the heating to get a bit of heat. and promptly fell asleep and missed my TOD point.

Brilliantly, the A32X followed the flightplan to the missed approach and entered the hold pattern, except as I'd missed the TOD, it entered the hold at FL350 and stayed there until I woke up about 10 mins later.

Lot of fun trying to descend and land after that, but I managed it somehow.

Ashamed to admit it, but I was glad I was only in the office room instead of a real office in the sky.

Anyone else have a similar story?

Guilty!