A320/319 Pre-Phttps://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/18404-a320319-pre-purchase-question/urchase Question

Eric Fisher

Eric Fisher

Apologies for not posting in the A320 forum. This is the only forum I have rights to generate a new topic in. Due to a discount I purchased another companies A319. I cannot get my throttles to work with it and they lock topics up over there so quick before my issue was sorted and I have gotten utterly frustrated with everything so to heck with it. Their answer for me did not work and looks like it will never work anyways. So shame on me for wasting my money. Long way of saying I would like to enter into the FSL fold. But before I do I would like to know if anyone with FSUIPC and hardware throttles have them working through FSUIPC with the FSL Airbus planes?

In the other companies software I was told to ensure no axis assignments on the P3D controls page for the hardware (there isn't), inside FSUIPC, click on "send to FS as normal axis" on the "Axis Assignment" tab and not to calibrate it through fsuipc on the "Joystick Calibration" tab. Herein lies the bloody problem, under the aforementioned method the throttles only go up to just before CL, forget FLEX/TOGA, the throttles don't go up that far and there is no way to calibrate them! There are no setting in their software to make any adjustments. So frustrating! I never expected things to be so difficult.

I have a Jetmax 737 Throttle Quadrant (https://www.jetmax.ca/components/jetmax-737tq). Yes, I know not airbus but spent hundreds of dollars on it and want to adapt it to use with the FSL software.  I also have their separate tiller and wish to use that as well.  I will purchase both the FSL A320 and 319 if I know my hardware can be set up to use with it. I hope someone from the development team or a seasoned user will help me out here. Thank you

A lot of users - including myself - are setting their throttles via FSUIPC. Personally I have a TM Warthog dual throttle & stick, along with the MFG rudder pedals and an opencockpits tiller that are set up through FSUIPC (along with some additional more specialized hardware you can see in my signature).

Regarding the throttles you are using, I do not have any personal experience. If you search the forum for jetmax, you will find a few members that are using them. They can share their experience with you here or you can contact them directly via PM to let you know how they work and how they set up theirs.

Markus Burkhard

Eric,

I don't have any experience with the throttle hardware you use. However the linked product page says it's standard USB without any custom drivers required. So if this registers in Windows as a standard game controller along with all its axes, I see no reason why it wouldn't work with our Airbus.

Personally I use the Thrustmaster stick and throttle via FSUIPC and have zero issues with it.

Eric Fisher
1 hour ago, Markus Burkhard said:

Eric,

I don't have any experience with the throttle hardware you use. However the linked product page says it's standard USB without any custom drivers required. So if this registers in Windows as a standard game controller along with all its axes, I see no reason why it wouldn't work with our Airbus.

Personally I use the Thrustmaster stick and throttle via FSUIPC and have zero issues with it.

Markus, thank you for the reply. You are correct, standard USB , no special drivers needed. I assume you since your going through fsuipc you have your joystick disabled in p3d then?

Two quick questions if I may. In your fsuipc settings do you have selected on the "Axis Assignment" tab,  "send to FS as normal axis" or the calibrate through fsuipc selected for your throttles?

Lastly, on the "Joystick Calibration" tab, are the calibration for the throttles cleared out or do you have them calibrated? 

Thank you for your time. It's looking like when I get off duty tomorrow I have a purchase to make! 

Eric, you can see below an example of how I send my dual throttles via FSUIPC to the sim: 

With the exception of the tiller that has to be send as "normal axis" anything else can be send either way in my experience. You can use calibration if required. For example I use it for my brakes that need to be inverted and my tiller that I want to be smoother towards the center, thus I use slope. Furthermore there are some recommended dead zones in our manual for the aileron/elevator axis that for those that use FSUIPC have to be set via joystick calibration.

Markus Burkhard
9 hours ago, Eric Fisher said:

Markus, thank you for the reply. You are correct, standard USB , no special drivers needed. I assume you since your going through fsuipc you have your joystick disabled in p3d then?

Two quick questions if I may. In your fsuipc settings do you have selected on the "Axis Assignment" tab,  "send to FS as normal axis" or the calibrate through fsuipc selected for your throttles?

Lastly, on the "Joystick Calibration" tab, are the calibration for the throttles cleared out or do you have them calibrated? 

Thank you for your time. It's looking like when I get off duty tomorrow I have a purchase to make! 

My joystick is not disabled in P3D as I use it for slewing around. However all axes for normal flight have been removed within P3D.

My axis assignment settings in FSUIPC are set as "send direct to P3D". And then all axes are calibrated in the Joystick Calibration tab, yes. It's the same for the flight stick, throttles, rudder and brakes.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
Eric Fisher
10 hours ago, Mike Ionas said:

Eric, you can see below an example of how I send my dual throttles via FSUIPC to the sim: 

With the exception of the tiller that has to be send as "normal axis" anything else can be send either way in my experience. You can use calibration if required. For example I use it for my brakes that need to be inverted and my tiller that I want to be smoother towards the center, thus I use slope. Furthermore there are some recommended dead zones in our manual for the aileron/elevator axis that for those that use FSUIPC have to be set via joystick calibration.

Thanks Mike. I'm going to purchase and begin setting up this afternoon. I may reach out if I get stuck. Thank you for your time. 

• Like 2
Eric Fisher

Thanks to the post below from Simon (and the advice from in this thread) I am able to get it going. The only trouble is for some reason my throttles are not in sync between fwd idle and the CL detent. Within fsuipc I get very different values for each throttle range which is very odd to me and I don't think that can be fixed. I know with the Boeing I fly I can use the sync position button in fsuipc to get them to work together but this does not work when one mirrors the detent settings in the MCDU. So tomorrow will be spent adjusting each throttle lever with its own detent settings so that they can hopefully be in sync as I don't think that sync button in fsuipc can/does override them. But at least I am making much more progress than I did with another Airbus ;). Whats odd is Bob and I have the same hardware and his detent settings he posted in the below thread for fwd idle have my thrust levers almost to the CL detent.

Maybe try calibrating them in windows first via devices & printers? After that - in theory at least - their full range should be registered and you should not have any issues. You could also try both "send to FSUIPC calibration" and "send as normal FS axis" and see if it makes any difference. Keep in mind that their is a possibility for the displayed ranges to be different in each mode and require different setting in MCDU options. For example you could have a range of -1.000 to 1.000 with one mode and 0.000 to 1.000 with the other as discussed here: 

Also try not to use joystick calibration initially and if you need to adjust any deadzones do it via the FSUIPC.ini, where you can input the exact values you want directly.

• John Barnes changed the title to A320/319 Pre-Phttps://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/18404-a320319-pre-purchase-question/urchase Question