New build for P3D

Oliver Mitchell

Oliver Mitchell

Evening all.

Currently interested in purchasing a PC solely for P3D. So far, I've found the following at a reasonable price:

• Intel I7 7700K @ 4.2Ghz (with turbo to 4.5Ghz)
  • GTX 1080 8GB
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Performance Ram
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270X-Ultra Gaming

AKA, https://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/intel-i7-7700k-2tb-16gb-ddr4-gtx-1080-8gb-blitz-computer-gaming-pc.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIycnjqPja2wIVcDPTCh2pHwOAEAQYBCABEgKE7PD_BwE

What are your thoughts on this? What more/less do I need? I have the objective of being to able to fly the A320X mainly from FlyTampa Athens, along with ORBX Global and possibly ORBX Vector, ActiveSky and Active Sky Cloud Art, PTA Assistant, GSX and any other airport scenery being mainly freeware, say at 30-40FPS. I'm gonna mainly be doing European flying to/from Athens.

I'm thinking of looking for something similar with an SSD and better cooling. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Oliver Mitchell

• Like 1
Lefteris Kalamaras

Hi Oliver,

I would suggest you go for the 8700k and a Z370 chipset instead, add an M.2 SSD (preferably a 960 from Samsung) and a Corsair H110 water cooling system. The rest are fine - if you can upgrade the 1080 to a 1080Ti, even better.

Hope that helps!

Oliver Mitchell

Cheers Lefteris,

I doubt I'd have the budget to go for the 1080Ti, however with regards to the SSD, would that increase performance (I assume for loading autogen etc.) or simply decrease loading times? If it's the latter only, I'm not too bothered as I'm more than happy to just wait out long loading times.

Keep up the hard work on the Bus!

Oliver Mitchell

Markus Burkhard

Oliver, 

SSDs are not just for decreasing loading times. These days hardware has gotten so fast, that if you'd build a new system with a 7700K and GTX 1080, and then fit a HDD in it, it would simply be one huge bottleneck for the entire system.

If you can't afford a M.2 SSD, at least get a decent 2.5" SATA SSD from Samsung. A mechanical HDD in the days of 64bit simulators would be no fun at all, the file size has gotten just too big for that.

Oliver Mitchell
12 hours ago, Markus Burkhard said:

Oliver, 

SSDs are not just for decreasing loading times. These days hardware has gotten so fast, that if you'd build a new system with a 7700K and GTX 1080, and then fit a HDD in it, it would simply be one huge bottleneck for the entire system.

If you can't afford a M.2 SSD, at least get a decent 2.5" SATA SSD from Samsung. A mechanical HDD in the days of 64bit simulators would be no fun at all, the file size has gotten just too big for that.

Thanks Markus, looks like I'll be getting an SSD!

Oliver Mitchell

Alejandro mirania

...Humm, Oliver, I see you are going to pay in pounds!!! ...that´s an old fashion way and expensive one...why don´t you pay in Euros as everybody in the rest of the world do???

Try this web,: https://www.alternate.es/

The money you are going to save, worths sending abroad !

Kind regards!

Alex!

Markus Burkhard
3 hours ago, Oliver Mitchell said:

Thanks Markus, looks like I'll be getting an SSD!

I might add that if you need to, you can still have an HDD as an addition to an SSD, if you need it for storage purposes, large files that are accessed infrequently, like a music library or document files. However for everything that is involved with lots of read and write access, such as a simulation software or an operating system, an SSD should be used.

Oliver Mitchell

Thanks to all who have replied - after some research, it looks like it's gonna be a 8700K and GTX1080Ti. What are your opinions on 8GB vs 16GB of RAM (specifically for running the A320X)?

Oliver Mitchell

Lefteris Kalamaras

You should NOT get anything below 16GB RAM. I know RAM is expensive these days (blame mobile phones for that in fact), but anything below 16GB (or sometimes even 32!) and your computer will suffer.

Oliver Mitchell
8 minutes ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

You should NOT get anything below 16GB RAM. I know RAM is expensive these days (blame mobile phones for that in fact), but anything below 16GB (or sometimes even 32!) and your computer will suffer.

Roger, understood - thanks for the timely reply!

Kike Arribere

Hi, this afternoon I will pick up the one I bought:

i7-8700k/16Gb/2TB+240SSD/GTX1080 

I hope I will see an improvement between this computer for P3DV4 and my previous FSX on a gaming laptop... jijijiji

I hope this is enough, because the screen was left for July jijiji

Oliver Mitchell
2 minutes ago, Kike Arribere said:

Hi, this afternoon I will pick up the one I bought:

i7-8700k/16Gb/2TB+240SSD/GTX1080 

I hope I will see an improvement between this computer for P3DV4 and my previous FSX on a gaming laptop... jijijiji

I hope this is enough, because the screen was left for July jijiji

Lovely stuff! Would you be able to get back to me on how it performs, perhaps through a PM whenever you get the chance?

Cheers!

Kike Arribere
18 minutes ago, Oliver Mitchell said:

Lovely stuff! Would you be able to get back to me on how it performs, perhaps through a PM whenever you get the chance?

Cheers!

Yes, I will, but give me time, I’m planning to start installing everything during July... I still to travel back home and finish shifting places... busy month....

but I will revert back to you ;)

Oliver Mitchell
14 minutes ago, Kike Arribere said:

Yes, I will, but give me time, I’m planning to start installing everything during July... I still to travel back home and finish shifting places... busy month....

but I will revert back to you ;)

Cheers Kike - I don't plan on purchasing until late August anyway so no rush :)