Building A New System

Dwayne_Bates

Hi all,

As we all are, I am looking forward to the release of FSL A32x, But the thing I want to do first is build a new system that will hardly it without a problem with some other addons, I.E Traffic, Rex etc.

Just wanted to see if anyone would have any advice for me and maybe help me out, Price at this moment in time I am not worried about as I have saved & today got a good little tax rebate :).

Look forward hear from you all.

daN-_

Hi Dwayne,

I just completed purchasing parts for a new build (see below), this is based on NickN's Simforum's Hardware Bible - http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

I'll probably upgrade my current monitor to a 27 or 30 inch Dell Ultra

1 - EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB video card
1 - Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA CPU
1 - ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 Motherboard
2 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C9D-8GTXD
1 - CORSAIR AXi series AX860i 860W Digital ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Power Supply
1 - Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case
2 - Samsung SAMZ7PD512BW 512GB 840 Pro Series 2.5" Solid State Drive (SSD)
1 - Corsair Hydro Series H60 120mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
2 - BitFenix Spectre All Black 230mm Fan (BFF-SCF-23030KK-RP)
2 - Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-3 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan
If you do not want to build a system I would recommend checking out Jetline Systems (http://jetlinesystems.com/) or Wired2Fire (http://www.wired2fire.co.uk/).
Bob

Hi Bob,

I will take a look at the link's you have gave me, Thank you for your help & maybe when I have finished on the build I will share it.

With you're system do you ever come across any problems & what fps would you say you get in a busy area?

Also I see you are a Beta tester and if you testing the FSL A320, is that running smooth as well?

Thanks for your help,

daN-_

The system is not yet built as I'm still waiting to receive all of the parts. Regarding specific performance of the A320 with my current PC, i'm unable to discuss due to the NDA, but suffice to say it I am not upgrading my PC due to performance issues. My current PC is 5yrs old and I've been itching to upgrade to the Haswell and GTX780 as my PC is used for other apps besides FSX.

Performance of FSX and other add-ons (NGX, FSDreamteam airports ) using my current built PC (see my specs in the signature block) is fairly good. I do NOT look at FPS but at how fluid and stable the system is (as per Nick's fsx perf bible). No matter how powerful your PC is you need to be very aware of the PC's VAS usage, so again fluidity and stable to me, are much more important than high FPS. (see - http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-oom-and-addon-vas-usage/ ).

Bob

Hi Dwayne,

I just completed purchasing parts for a new build (see below), this is based on NickN's Simforum's Hardware Bible - http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

I'll probably upgrade my current monitor to a 27 or 30 inch Dell Ultra

1 - EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB video card
1 - Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA CPU
1 - ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 Motherboard
2 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C9D-8GTXD
1 - CORSAIR AXi series AX860i 860W Digital ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Power Supply
1 - Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case
2 - Samsung SAMZ7PD512BW 512GB 840 Pro Series 2.5" Solid State Drive (SSD)
1 - Corsair Hydro Series H60 120mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
2 - BitFenix Spectre All Black 230mm Fan (BFF-SCF-23030KK-RP)
2 - Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-3 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan
If you do not want to build a system I would recommend checking out Jetline Systems (http://jetlinesystems.com/) or Wired2Fire (http://www.wired2fire.co.uk/).
Bob

Hello! :)

May I ask what you want to do besides FSX?

best regards,

Emmanuel

Thanks for your reply Bob,

Yeah I know on FSX alot of it is to do with the CPU usage as it only uses a single core ( Correct me if I am wrong ),

The next system I would like to build would mainly be for FSX ( Maybe P3D but in no rush at the moment ) I would like to do some editing if I can for the likes of Youtube & put something together.

On my system at the moment, I have FSX installed as well as Airbus X + PMDG 777 which can sometimes cause me some problems with the performanc, But my system is around 4 years old, so I am not expecting much from it.

I do have other games but I very rarely play them, so my main thing would be FSX + Video editing.

daN-_

Also Bob, I see you use that Track IR , Is that any good cause when I see people on youtube use it, It just don't look right but that when it's on 3 screens, but that could just be where its on split screens, Also how can you look at the overhead and the throttle?

Edited by Dwayne_Bates

P3D v2 has been announced on final beta and expect release this month. I am keen to see how it goes. Version 1.4 is miles ahead of FSX in terms of stability, havent had to worry about hardware.

Sent from my Mobile thing

Emmanuel - I use the PC for other non-sim related apps, mainly Call of Duty.

Dwayne - I've only used TrackIR on 1 monitor, and it is OK. You cannot look at the overhead and throttle quad at the same time, unless you change your viewpoint, which to me seems unrealistic. In real life flying you cannot look at the overhead and pedestal at the same time while seated, as you need to look up or down. If you're standing in the cockpit door then you would be able to see the overhead and pedestal (throttles) at the same time. I'm not an Airbus pilot, but I do fly single engine aircraft, some with and without overhead buttons, so my comments are based on my experience.

Emmanuel - I use the PC for other non-sim related apps, mainly Call of Duty.

Dwayne - I've only used TrackIR on 1 monitor, and it is OK. You cannot look at the overhead and throttle quad at the same time, unless you change your viewpoint, which to me seems unrealistic. In real life flying you cannot look at the overhead and pedestal at the same time while seated, as you need to look up or down. If you're standing in the cockpit door then you would be able to see the overhead and pedestal (throttles) at the same time. I'm not an Airbus pilot, but I do fly single engine aircraft, some with and without overhead buttons, so my comments are based on my experience.

Ok, for this the computer isn't bad but the processor is a overkill. You can overclock a i7-3770k better and further than the haswells and for COD a i5 is way enough and can be overclocked to get good performances in FSX as well.

If you would have done stuff like video/image editing, heavy physics calculations or such than the haswell is the number 1 choice.

However a good investment for the future.

best regards,

Emmanuel