Monitor: Curved or flat?

Stu Antonio

Hi guys,

I'm buying a new monitor (32'' 4K) and I'm not sure if I should get a curved one or stay with a flat one...

Any opinions on that in regards to flightsimming? 

:)

Cheers
Stu

4 minutes ago, Matt Richards said:

It's a subjective decision. I have a 49" super ultra wide, which is curved. Couldn't imagine going back to a flat screen.

Sure, subjective opinions is what I‘m looking for. :) Thanks for yours. I actually tried an Ultrawide a few weeks ago, couldn‘t get use to it, it was just too wide for my taste (especially when also working on that thing) :)

I‘m zeroing in on a 21:9 curved 32-40“ but wasn‘t sure if the curve has some disadvantages I‘m unaware of…. 

Markus Burkhard

Curved monitors are fantastic for flight simulation purposes. The bigger the screen is, the more use you get from it being curved, as it wraps around your peripheral vision.

However, you need to make sure that your seating position is such that your head is placed at the centre of the circle that defines the curvature. If you sit too far away, then the effect is lost. So when buying a curved screen, one needs to make sure that placing/mounting it close enough is possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, Markus Burkhard said:

Curved monitors are fantastic for flight simulation purposes. The bigger the screen is, the more use you get from it being curved, as it wraps around your peripheral vision.

However, you need to make sure that your seating position is such that your head is placed at the centre of the circle that defines the curvature. If you sit too far away, then the effect is lost. So when buying a curved screen, one needs to make sure that placing/mounting it close enough is possible. 

Interesting point. I will investigate that and take it into account! Thanks!

Markus Burkhard
4 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

Interesting point. I will investigate that and take it into account! Thanks!

Most times I see issues with this is when people use their desk for flight simulation, having mounted a yoke between the seat and the monitor, with the latter placed behind the yoke. This then uses up a lot of space placing the user way out of centre of the curve. That scenario then requires a flexible monitor mounting arm to place the monitor above the yoke. 

Matt Richards

It took me a few weeks to get used to the screen and I've had it almost 2years now. I created a purpose built desk to house the montior and all my sim hardware (amazing how much you collect over the years) My eyes are approx 85cm from the centre of the screen. For me I found that the perfect distance so I don't get eye strain or feel I'm too close or far away.

Thanks for the input.

Not an easy pick, there are so many (and you can find 5-star as well as 1-star user reviews on all of them...) :)
But from what I have seen (and measured at my desk) I'm kinda getting the feeling that a curved one only makes sense of you go with an ultra wide.

42 minutes ago, Markus Burkhard said:

What monitor are you using?

I have a 40" 4K curved screen: https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/BDM4037UW_00/brilliance-4k-ultra-hd-lcd-display-with-multiview

One major drawback I have found with the curved screen seems to be that glare is more of a problem on sunny days. (Unless I draw the curtains and sit in the dark of course...). Worth bearing in mind depending on where you are positioning your screen.

I don't think i'd be that fussed about getting another curved screen - I haven't found it any more immersive although granted mine isn't ultrawide. 

26 minutes ago, Ken Knowles said:

I have a 40" 4K curved screen: https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/BDM4037UW_00/brilliance-4k-ultra-hd-lcd-display-with-multiview

One major drawback I have found with the curved screen seems to be that glare is more of a problem on sunny days. (Unless I draw the curtains and sit in the dark of course...). Worth bearing in mind depending on where you are positioning your screen.

I don't think i'd be that fussed about getting another curved screen - I haven't found it any more immersive although granted mine isn't ultrawide. 

Very nice! I found a similar one from Philips for a reasonable price. Never thought about a 40“ before but I like the idea!

Okay guys, if my wife asks, my company is providing new home office equipment as part of the new „flexible workplace initiative“ and my line of work dictates a screen of at least 40 inch. („sorry honey, new health standards“)

:ph34r::D

• Haha 1
Rafal Haczek
52 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

if my wife asks, my company is providing new home office equipment as part of the new „flexible workplace initiative“.

My company now wants to co-operate with yours.
At least when it comes to sharing (very useful) ideas.

You could compare it with a car, shift gear or automatic. When you once tried automatic (=curved) you'll never want to go back. I'm with Samsung after a live time with Philips and very happy with it.

Ray Proudfoot
5 hours ago, Stu Antonio said:

I'm buying a new monitor (32'' 4K) and I'm not sure if I should get a curved one or stay with a flat one...

Stu,

As far as I’m aware there aren’t any 32” 4K curved monitors, just flat ones. I can recommend my BenQ PD3200U which supports 30Hz natively.

The choice is entirely subjective. What suits one won’t suit another.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

Stu,

As far as I’m aware there aren’t any 32” 4K curved monitors, just flat ones. I can recommend my BenQ PD3200U which supports 30Hz natively.

Samsung has some actually. But the reviews are mixed.
Regarding the 30Hz, that was never my thing, I always found limited framerates and Hz gave me headaches :) … I‘m never had issues with 40+ fps and 60Hz, so I‘m only looking for a bigger 4k screen than my current 27“. 

Ray Proudfoot

@Stu Antonio, good luck getting 60fps at LAX and LHR. I can just achieve that at 30Hz.  It if it’s not good for you then fair enough.

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Stu Antonio, good luck getting 60fps at LAX and LHR. I can just achieve that at 30Hz.  It if it’s not good for you then fair enough.

I wasn‘t trying to discredit the 30Hz approach, I‘m just saying (as you mentioned) doesn‘t suit me. I tried it several times and could never archieve a satisfying result. It made me dizzy. Yes, on high demand scenery the fps might drop with unlimited frames and 60Hz but it‘s all within my personal limits. 

Gregory Verba

I am using Benq 32" 4k (flat monitor) today and pretty happy with it. I was using 34" ultrawide curved (3440 x 1440) before. I think that if you are not going to get ultrawide monitor , there shouldn't be much difference between flat and curved monitor. 

• Thanks 1
Ivan Majetic

I've been using Asus Rog PG348Q for a couple of years now, 34" 3440x1440, yeah it's not real 4K and doesn't support HDR, but i can't see myself buying flat screen monitor in the future. It will be wide and curved. :)

Markus Burkhard
7 hours ago, Stu Antonio said:

But from what I have seen (and measured at my desk) I'm kinda getting the feeling that a curved one only makes sense of you go with an ultra wide.

Agreed. If one buys a 16:9 screen big enough as to make sense being curved (wide enough), then that screen will be like at least 40" in diameter, resulting in a LOT of unused screen estate at the top quarter of the screen. So that part of the screen is then not necessary, meaning it should be somewhere else, which means ultra-wide.

HOWEVER

Not everything ultra-wide is automatically good for flight simulation. Any screen ratio larger than 21:9 is only useful if the vertical dimension is high enough. What good is an extra extra wide screen if you don't have enough vertical space for seeing your instruments while looking outside straight ahead. And even at 21:9 I think 1440p is not a future-proof investment anymore.

But if you can afford, large ultra-wide with high resolution and enough vertical space with a nice curve is absolutely brilliant for flying. It's going to break the bank, but what can you do :wacko:

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your input guys. I also have to consider the fact that I need the screen for work and too big/wide will probably be contra productive. I think right now I will step away from the curved ones, as I think ultra wide is not my cup of tomato juice. As there seems to be nothing between 32 and 40 inch, that’s my final thing to decide :) 

Markus Burkhard
1 hour ago, Stu Antonio said:

As there seems to be nothing between 32 and 40 inch

There are many curved models at 38" 21:9, such as the one I use, and if you need them cheaper there are also models without G-Sync and 60Hz only. Unless you need 2160p, in which case I'd agree there's nothing worthwhile between 32 and 40 inches. 

• Thanks 1
Antonio Valcarce
7 hours ago, Miguel de gonzalo said:

I use this monitor Wich I think is one of the best out there.

4K HDR1000 144 Hz etc.....

https://www.gigabyte.com/es/Monitor/AORUS-FV43U#kf

I'm also on the flat side with this 43" (suported by an old viewsonic VX922 19" from my old set up of three)

https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-43UN700

It may not be the top but, and I agree and insist like other that this is a very personal choice, these are the main reason against the ultra-wide curved:

• I need to balance the sim with some other usages of the PC for which curved is no good.
  • I rather the height of the view when compare with ultrawide.
  • The already mentioned head position, in my case could be a problem.
  • Just one big view, as this time, avoiding the division due to several monitors was a must. This size obviously provides a view field less wider than an ultra-wide (curved or not) but still wide enough, so this LG provides a well balanced option in that respect.

And some other smaller reasons.

As said, this is very personal, but it looks like you are in the right path for, whichever option you go for, to be the right one for you

Cheers

Kano

• Thanks 1

Using a LG ultra-wide and its so nice for flight sim (its amazing also for home office!!). However my next one will be curved!
Its a good benefit to be able to see whats the FO doing ;) :D  (can we pls have shared cockpit :D

I've been simming on an ultrawide (21:9 34") for a few years. I definitely couldn't return to a standard 16:9 format.

However, although I was considering a curved monitor, thinking it might increase the simming immersion, I finally didn't go for it.
I tested it both in the shop and at a friend's and I didn't really like the experience.

The final reason is I don't have a sim-only computer and monitor. If I did, maybe I would give a curved monitor another try. So, for pure simming/gaming, it might work fine. My equipment is also my workhorse, where I do a lot of film edition, photo edition, graphics and working with text. So the curved one doesn't fit my needs. 21:9 for my purposes is very good, as I can open multiple windows at the same time (usually three), have a long timeline in Premiere Pro, or have my edition tools comfortable located aside the image I work on. But the curved vision makes this work uncomfortable for me.

You can save yourself a LOT of money if you use a 'Trackir 5'!  I have used mine since the first TIR4 came out and would not fly without it. Cheaper also than a VR headset allows you to look anywhere in the flightdeck with a slight turn of your head.

Makes it all natural and the cost, cannot be beaten.

1 hour ago, Dave Taylor said:

You can save yourself a LOT of money if you use a 'Trackir 5'!  I have used mine since the first TIR4 came out and would not fly without it. Cheaper also than a VR headset allows you to look anywhere in the flightdeck with a slight turn of your head.

Well, I tried it (and several cheaper ones) and honestly, I didn‘t like it at all. But that‘s just me. And it‘s also a bit of a different topic here I think, it doesn‘t really help with peripheral view or solve issues when you have a small monitor. Track IR is no VR, you can’t save money by using track IR instead of a bigger screen if yours is too small (imho). It‘s just an additional input source to control your viewpoint with your head.

I don‘t mean to talk bad about it, sorry, but track IR for me is just a waste if money. 

Matt Richards
2 hours ago, Dave Taylor said:

I sometimes use TrackIR v5 with my 49" super ultra wide and I still feel like I want more screen :D

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

track IR for me is just a waste of money. 

First time ever I am left with no other choice but to disagree with Stu. ;)
I bought my first TrackIR some 15 years ago. I couldn't sim a minute without it.

But yes, it has little to do with the type of monitor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Rafal Haczek said:

First time ever I am left with no other choice but to disagree with Stu. ;)
I bought my first TrackIR some 15 years ago. I couldn't sim a minute without it.

But yes, it has little to do with the type of monitor.

No problem, everybody can always disagree with me. :)

My issue with those trackers is the fact that you turn your head while your eyes have to stay on the screen. I don‘t see the point of that. I don‘t look left, I still look straight but with my head turned. I find that stange. Also, you can only move your head so much that you can still see the screen. So looking down on the pedestal can only work of you map the system to move the view 80deg down while your head moves only 10deg. And you‘ll end up with your face down but the eyes fully up to be able to see the screen. Same with the other directions. For me this was so annoying and counter intuitive, I just couldn‘t handle it.

But again, that‘s just my experience and opinion. It‘s working well for many others and that‘s totally fine. :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stu Antonio said:

looking down on the pedestal can only work of you map the system to move the view 80deg down while your head moves only 10deg.

Within the limitations of the on-screen simming (opposed to having a full-scale cockpit built, which is amazing but very expensive), it still seems much more 'realistic' than using 2D panels or pseudo-cameras (ChasePlane or Ezdok) when you don't move your head at all, look in front of you, and suddenly 'see' your pedestal or overhead.

I, for instance, use the following combo for best (affordable) immersion: a UW monitor for wide perspective, TrackIR as a substitute of being 'inside the cockpit' (final approach with TiR when you can move forwards and over your glareshield for precise situational awareness is simply irrepleceable), ChasePlane for quick access to some distant areas, for wingviews, and for use when TiR is paused (e.g. when typing, precise-switching or I'm doing something away and quickly need to adjust values), and a mini home cockpit to get this 'real touch' feeling (I have components like: sidestick, yoke, pedals, throttle quadrants, flap/spoiler panels, autopilot, EFIS, radios and MCDU/FMC tablet).

If I were a rich man (Ya ba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dum), I would have a full-scale cokpit built.
I tried one for 737NG and the fun cannot be compared to anything but real flying (especially when you have a motion platform).

Holger Teutsch
No problem, everybody can always disagree with me.
My issue with those trackers is the fact that you turn your head while your eyes have to stay on the screen. I don‘t see the point of that. I don‘t look left, I still look straight but with my head turned. I find that stange. Also, you can only move your head so much that you can still see the screen. So looking down on the pedestal can only work of you map the system to move the view 80deg down while your head moves only 10deg. And you‘ll end up with your face down but the eyes fully up to be able to see the screen. Same with the other directions. For me this was so annoying and counter intuitive, I just couldn‘t handle it.
But again, that‘s just my experience and opinion. It‘s working well for many others and that‘s totally fine.
I agree with you! You are not alone.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3 mit Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Matt Richards said:

I sometimes use TrackIR v5 with my 49" super ultra wide and I still feel like I want more screen :D

Yes I expect you do but for me. finance stops me from spending on things that, I don't really need, saving that money for essentials of life.

I think it's rare to find a PC peripheral with such divided user experience, but I certainly belong to the no Track-IR camp. I bought it and attempted to use it numerous times but I ended up not liking it for the reasons Stu mentions. I found it very counter intuitive to move the head while locking the eyes on the screen. But I know it works for many people and that's great!

• Like 1