Core i9 10900 Hyperthreading & Stuttering

David McDonough

David McDonough

Hey Guys! With my build, I can get great performance with V5 and the A320 but during flight I get an awful micro stutter from 40/50 all the way down to 20's... Should I turn Hyperthreading off? Also what refresh rate should I run my monitor at?

Core i9 10900 non K, already raised the power to 125TDP.

32gb Ram

RTX 3080.

LG 1440P 144hz G-Sync display

Thanks!

Bartu Özkara
11 minutes ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Hi David,

I have HT turned off.  Most of the team here do also.

Norman would you recommend it to use "off" with i7 7700K too?

Bartu Özkara

I just tried to use Hyperthreading "On & OFF". I used A320, Same Airport, Same Date & Time, Same Weather and EA was on. Here are the results;

HT ON:

-VRAM: 3.5 On runway and after departure it was up to 4.4

-FPS: Minimum 48 Maximum 63.5 Average 50-60

-CPU: 40-50%

HT OFF:

-VRAM: 3.8 On runway and after departure I didn't observed a big increase it was almost same

-FPS: Minimum 48 Maximum 60 Average 50-60 (During climb the maximum FPS was in 70's compared to "HT ON" it was better).

-CPU: 100-80% (On my first check the usage was on 100% then it decreased slightly to 80% and maintained between 80-70%)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also some notes about the test:

-P3D v5.1 & FlightSimLabs A320 (Newest Update)

-The scenery wasn't a very FPS friendly therefore I'm in both tests very happy and thanks a lot for the team for this quick update which is working perfect.

-I use dual 2 x 2560x1080 29" Widescreen. But when I'm flying I'm using one screen to prevent FPS loss. I generally use my both screens with Macbook Pro. My screen is 75Hz but my FPS is always locked at 40FPS therefore I wasn't looking for more FPS. And I'll lock my FPS back to 40 FPS just wanted to see the limits.

-How much performance I get from CPU and VRAM was more important. And as I observed with HT OFF was the upper limit of VRAM lower then HT ON. But I have to make few flights to see how is it really handling. After we get ActiveSky I'll make few flights and If there is an major point to share I'll report here.

Kind regards, Bartu.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bartu,

would you share your P3D settings with us? I have a fresh reinstall of P3DV5 and the latest version of the A320.

At Orbx Stockholm I'm getting around 45-50 fps in the VC which is pretty good. Settings are quite high. MK Studios EFHK only around 30-35 fps in VC...dont know why.

My system:
i7 7700k, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080, Sim running on a SSD. Resolution 3440x1440.

GPU is quite bored during the whole flight while the CPU is very busy. No tweaks in the cfg at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 10:33 AM, Oliver Louis said:

Hi Bartu,

would you share your P3D settings with us? I have a fresh reinstall of P3DV5 and the latest version of the A320.

At Orbx Stockholm I'm getting around 45-50 fps in the VC which is pretty good. Settings are quite high. MK Studios EFHK only around 30-35 fps in VC...dont know why.

My system:
i7 7700k, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080, Sim running on a SSD. Resolution 3440x1440.

GPU is quite bored during the whole flight while the CPU is very busy. No tweaks in the cfg at all.

Just picked up a 3080 and v5 myself.  Very similar to your system, including a 7700k overclocked to 4.8.  I'd be curious with your results as well; plain vanilla cfg, I'm getting quite significant hard stutters every few seconds with default aircraft, onmedium/middle settings for most sliders.  Have been considering making the jump to a 10900K.

@Kyle Weber I reduced autogen vegetation density to "very dense" and now everything is fine. Rest of the settings are quite high. Between 40 and 50 fps at Orbx airports (except ESGG for whatever reason, but that scenery has already been fps hungry). No tweaks in the .cfg so far, except TRANSLUCENT_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE set to 4096.