Lefteris Kalamaras

A320X Controls Mega Thread

Lefteris Kalamaras

Gents,

you will notice that the thrust controls (keyboard and joystick) now work a bit differently from what you're used to in FSX. The way we coded them should make a bit more sense for an Airbus, as we tried to follow the 'gates' methodology as closely as possible.

Here's the logic behind them:

1) Joystick:

Use the MCDU Menu -> Options page to reach the Thrust Lever Controls page

mcdu_options.jpg

In this page, you can tell the A320 sim:

1) whether your thrust controller has a single lever or two levers

2) whether you will use the stick for controlling reverse thrust or not (i.e. your stick does not go into the reverse range)

3) If you want visual cues ON to tell you if you're in a gate or not

with selection "Set Gate Zones" you move to the next page, "Gate Settings" where you can set the joystick range for each gate. The example here is with a single-lever joystick, but the philosophy extends to dual controllers as well.

mcdu_gates.jpg

In this page, you can select the lever you want ('BOTH' is the option if you have a single lever) and assign the proper range depending on lever position for each gate. The way I do it, I move the joystick to the full back position, click the THR POS button (LSK R1) once (scratch pad receives the current value), then move it slightly forward a bit and click LSK R1 again. The scratch pad should contain a pair of two values - for example, "-0.988/0.810". Then, press the appropriate LSK for FWD IDLE (LSK L4) to set the range for the FWD IDLE gate.

mcdu_action.jpg

I do the same the next three gates (CL, FLX MCT and TOGA) and that way, my stick is now set up to 'fall into' appropriate gates depending on the values coming to the sim from the joystick.

The low/high values for each gate signify the positions within which the A320 Thrust Lever is locked inside a gate and will not 'move'. (i.e. it protects for your hardware's possible jitter).

If you have done this correctly, all values will be green. If some ranges fall within each other, the respective values will become amber, signaling that you need to correct them.

mcdu_fault.jpg

We pre-calculate default values for you too, so you can click on LSK R6 to get those, and see if you like them.

In the example above, I have no reverse thrust position settings defined, as my joystick does not have reverser action - however, I could, if I wanted to, set my REV MAX and REV IDLE positions starting at the full closed joystick setting, but that would mean I'd need to physically mark on my joystick lever where the FWD IDLE position would be. Here's where the visual cues ON setting helps... :)

Keyboard action is a bit easier to grasp:

F2 and F3 buttons move the A320 levers back / fwd respectively (as normal).

F1 and F4 are a bit different: They are used to move the thrust lever to the next gate, rather than to full back / full forward position. That means that if you are at FWD IDLE, you press F4 to move to CL, then F4 again to move to FLX MCT, and another F4 to move to TOGA respectively.

Similarly with F1 - each key press moves the thrust lever back one gate (sound "click" position helps to identify this action).

We hope this makes your simming experience a bit more realistic when it comes to thrust controls! Let us know what you think!

• Like 8

Marios

EDIT: *** Latest sensitivities as of 30 OCT 2014 ***

A few things have changed again for ELAC in the upcoming v21, so in order to get 100% out of these changes, you will need to readjust your FSX's joystick null zone/sensitivity settings again.

Here is a screenshot showing how your FSX ailerons and elevator settings should look like. To get this, edit your Standard.xml file located into C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls folder. Scrolling down you should find something similar to the screenshot attached. Change the boxed values as per the screenshot and close/save the xml. Loading FSX should show the sliders as you see them below. Make sure you change the AXIS_AILERONS_SET and AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET values and NOT the SLEW or mouse values.

To be sure FSX will not reset by itself any of these values you can mark this file as read only after you save changes.

post-1921-0-60412000-1394654041_thumb.jp

FSUIPC users click here. *****(Reset control response slopes to zero - both aileron and elevator)*****

Marios

• Like 1

Essono Fritz

Ok guys -

I just briefly tested some FSUIPC settings. And the handling seems very similar to what I get through FSX control assignments.
-16480/+16480 is the normal range of motion for my Saitek stick in FSUIPC.

I made a profile for the FSL Airbus that I named 'A320'...
You can name it whatever you want of course.

First make sure you have 'ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring' in your FSUIPC.ini file .

Then, don't forgot to specify which aircraft name is 'hooked' to your profile. I have 'CFM' and 'IAE' so that every FSL livery installed works with my 'A320' profile.

[Profile.A320]
1=A320X
2=CFM
3=IAE

AXES

[Axes.A320]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=0X,256,D,1,0,0,0
1=0Y,256,D,2,0,0,0
2=1X,256,D,7,0,0,0
3=1Y,256,D,8,0,0,0
4=1R,256,D,3,0,0,0
5=2Z,256,D,10,0,0,0
6=2R,256,D,9,0,0,0
7=2S,256,F,66818,0,0,0

CALIBRATION

[JoystickCalibration.A320]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=No
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No
FlapsSetControl=0
FlapDetents=No
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=66731
RudderTrimControl=66732
CowlFlaps1Control=66162
CowlFlaps2Control=66163
CowlFlaps3Control=66164
CowlFlaps4Control=66165
SteeringTillerControl=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
LeftBrake=-16383,16384/16
SlopeLeftBrake=15
RightBrake=-16383,16384/16
SlopeRightBrake=15
SteeringTiller=-16380,-512,512,16380/16
Aileron=-16295,-150,150,16267
Elevator=-16380,-150,150,16380
Rudder=-16380,-512,512,16380

PICTURES

Ailerons/Elevators assignments
619319FSUIPCElevatorsAssignement.jpg619319FSUIPCElevatorsAssignement.jpg

Null zones
994898FSUIPCNullZones.jpg

Ailerons/Elevator slopes
To be left at 0 as flight controls response curves are now directly integrated into ELACs (v0.21) code.

Hope this helps... Cheers

• Like 4

Rene Grothmann

I just want to share a tipp and my experience for those of you that do not have a rudder below the desk with toe brakes. I tried a second joystick for this. You can put it left of the number one joystick (which I have to the left of my keyboard, using the mouse for mouse view to the right of the keyboard). I use the rudder on the second joystick as tiller and break comfortably by pushing the joystick forward. Taxiing is a lot more fun now.

You need FSUIPC registered.

• Once the second joystick is connected, go to the control settings and remove all joystick actions for this joystick. Make sure you do not remove the axis of the first one.
  • Go to the Options menu in the MCDU and set the rudder axis to OFF as described in the manual of the A320X.
  • Open FSUIPC and go to the axis assignment. Tick profile specific if you wish and start a new profile.
  • Now move the rudder axis and assign it to "steering set" (not to tiller!), and let it "send directly to FSX as a normal axis".
  • Press "rescan", and move the stick forward. Select "send to FSUIPC calibration" and select "left break" in the first field, and "right break" in the second field. You cannot get differential breaks this way. We have only one axis to push forward.
  • Go to the axis calibration in FSUIPC and select the second settings where the left and right break can be set on the right side. Press "Set" for the left break and assign 0 as the minimal value. Thus the neutral position of the stick will do nothing. The same for the right break below.

Close FSUIPC. It took a while to save the settings.

Rene

• Like 5