Sign in to follow this  
Peter Clark

Can't purchase?

Peter Clark

Greetings.? Just downloaded and installed the module for the FSX Aerosoft MCP/744 interface.? I've run the setup, see the diag window and if I'm at Athens I can manipulate the MCP et al and the aircraft reflects it, but when I click the "purchase" button on the module window my FSX crashes (generates a report to MS) and restarts.? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Lefteris Kalamaras

Hello Peter-

this is an issue that occurs to a small percentage of our customers and that we're currently investigating with eSellerate, our online product cart vendor. I would appreciate it if you wrote me an email with your computer specs (operating system, FSX version, etc.) and a dxdiag dump (run 'dxdiag' and save the output file) so I can forward to them.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Lefteris Kalamaras

Peter-

some good news: The crash you're experiencing with the Purchase button is due to some incompatibility between Flight Simulator X and Vista (as well as Windows Server 2008, which I am running locally) when network-related activities occurs in DLLs running inside FSX.

The way to stop the crash is to disable DEP (Data Execution Prevention) for FSX. There are various ways to achieve that, but for now, the best/quickest one is to follow this link HERE, which describes in more detail how to run a command prompt with elevated rights (Run As Administrator) and execute

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

which will turn DEP off for your Vista installation. You will need to reboot before the settings will be applied to your box.

If you're not comfortable with this process, you can complete the Purchase and then turn DEP back to its previous settings, but DEP causes other issues with Vista and FSX, so my suggestion is to leave it off, particularly if you have a good firewall/antivirus program running anyway.

Let me know if this solves your problem. Once you verify it does, I'll add it to our Knowledge Base as well.

Peter Clark

Yep, that it does.

Nice of the guys at Microsoft to make their own software compatible with their own operating system, but I digress ;)

Good job on this thing, been flying with it for a couple of hours now.

P

superfish

I do not know what the "bcdedit" command does (in this instance) but in my installation of Vista, you cannot turn off DEP for fsx.exe.? The OS will not let you do this.? So, I'm assuming that you can turn off DEP with this command but it will not affect fsx.exe.? Note:? I'm signed into my OS as Administrator.

Frank

Lefteris Kalamaras

Frank-

you say "in my installation of Vista".

You might be signed on as Administrator, but you need to also be running the command prompt window with administrative privileges... can you give it another try? The problem is definitely with DEP.