FSL A320 on oculus rift

Karim Shakarchi

Karim Shakarchi

Hello,

I'm impatiently waiting for the FSL bus on P3D! In the meantime  has anyone tried flying it using oculus rift headset and flyinside? 

Kind regards,

Fulcrum

Philippe Gleize

Hi!

yeah it works well with FlyInside and it's fluid. You have to use the mouse to interact with the VC, ( mouse cursor is aligned with left eye).

Frankly VR is the future. No need to invest thousand of euros in hardware for a home cockpit.

• Like 3
Karim Shakarchi

Salut Philippe,

awesome. I totally agree! VR is the future of flight sim. I'm getting warmed up on the competitor's "easy" bus until FSL release their master piece for P3D!

Meilleures Salutations

Karim Shakarchi

I would but I don't have FSX on my system. I killed it years ago. So I guess I'm bound to wait a few weeks/months until the P3D touchdown. 

Rafal Haczek
2 hours ago, Philippe Gleize said:

Frankly VR is the future. No need to invest thousand of euros in hardware for a home cockpit.

That, I believe, is purely a matter of taste/needs. For me, nothing beats the realism of having a hardware-based home cockpit.
Of course there are two serious disadvantages to consider: the (mentioned) money you need for it and the limitation of aircraft type you wat to recreate.

For years I have collected some hardware controllers (e.g. joystick, yoke, pedals, throttle quadrant, switches, MCP, EFIS, radios, tablet FMC) and can't imagine simming without them. But until I have a full overhead panel plus main displays (all this is planned somewhere in future, money permitting), I am also using TrackIR, which is great.

Full visual controllers like the Oculus Rift are an interesting experience but, maybe due to me being in my fifth decade of life, I would say they are not comfortable for everyone.There is health (eyes, headaches, locomotion sickness, dizziness, nausea, etc.) aspect to take into consideration, which is important. I have seen and read people saying it is thrilling, but after some time they get strange feelings (even Froogle said so, didn't he) and feel tired.

LIke I wrote in the first paragraph, the aircraft type is some kind of limitation, which is clearly visible in my current situation.
The equipment I bought / made / modified is boeing-type, mainly based on 737NG. The choice was based on the availability of addons and the hardware itself. But now I am flying the FSL airbus and only some of my hadware can be used (throttles /limited/, pedals, some switches, radios /limited/ and TrackIR).

There are no perfect solutions in life, are there? :)

Pete Banner
2 hours ago, Philippe Gleize said:

Hi!

yeah it works well with FlyInside and it's fluid. You have to use the mouse to interact with the VC, ( mouse cursor is aligned with left eye).

I agree. I have used the Rift with FlyInside and A320X in P3D, and the immersion is great. The resolution could be a little better, but it is usable now.

However,as Rafal says, it is a matter of taste. For me it will be VR.

Philippe Gleize

Yeah it's a matter of taste absolutely. But for me there was a before and an after rift. You literraly have the sensation to be in the cockpit and have a real perception of the pieces volume. Interaction and resolution still need to be improved but am frankly optimistic regarding the techno progressing speed. 

• Like 2
Karim Shakarchi

It's of course down to personal preferences. Personaly I am very optimistic for the future of VR for sims. VR is the only thing (apart from expensive commercial sims with 180deg+ collimated to infinity visuals) that gave me the feel of flying. Using VR, I can fly visual approaches using the same methods and feelings I have developed in the real world. 

As Philippe mentioned, current display resolutions aren't yet great. But the future is bright for that technology.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15.10.2016 at 1:53 PM, Philippe Gleize said:

( mouse cursor is aligned with left eye).

Is this the case with all the programs on the Rift or only in FSX/P3D?

Don't own a Rift yet so excuse the silly question :) 

Philippe Gleize

I think it's with all addons but mouse is not supposed to be used with VR. Dan Church is doing outstanding job on Flyinside and managed to integrate leap motion so that you can manipulate controls naturally with your own hands. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
B_r_u_n_o-R_o_l_o

Well, I just returned my rift, I did try the A320X and the 777, and the immersion is incredible, and you really feel like you're sitting in the cockpit, however the gauges are too difficult to read (I used the highest resolution available with FlyInside) and I can't see myself using the rift for airliners, for low and slow GA flights, it is probably a good fit, but since I dont really fly GA I can't really justify the cost of the rift. 

I will wait to see what CV2 has to offer but I don't know what the specs will be or when it will be out (I am sure it will take some time for the next gen to be released). For now I am going to pick a 3rd monitor (I currently use 2 ASUS 27"), but I have to say, once you taste VR it is hard to go back to monitors. Anyways, this is my experience with VR, and I am sure others will have different perspective (I also wear glasses and it is a bit of a pain with the rift after some time)

Ifikratis Kamenidis

I also returned my Oculus Rift. I got excited by the immersion factor which is amazing. You really are inside the cockpit. There is no comparison in simulating 3D space. Though after some flights, I found out what I was now losing from my 2D setup. Problems started to become obvious:

Textures - Resolution
My well paid add-ons textures were not worth their value anymore. That includes textures for aircraft, clouds, terrain, airports etc...Then it was the aircraft displays. I had to physically move continuously by leaning to read the screens. Which was immersive in a way cause you feel the space..but is also like you have forgotten your prescription glasses. Using the zoom was as immersion lost as the 2D preset views all of us use, but at least you can still the MFDs in 2D without zooming. Finding the runway at the distance was not as easy as I initially thought. Head tracking is excellent and your head can look 360 degrees (that's a huge plus) but due to the low resolution you can't make out details.  The small footprint of the runway in the distance was lost somewhere in the pixels and I had to guess if this is a runway or a white toned field..In cloudy conditions that is even more difficult.

Flight management
The implementation of FI by using imported windows while works for others, for me was not possible, as I had some clicking problems. The mouse was not responsive at all. And when you need to find a map you don't wanna pause or take off the googles. But this could be a setting problem cause I know others use this function fine. For me, having the maps in my ipad is faster.

Compatibility
The biggest hit along with the resolution was the fact that I could not use the Majestic Q400. There is a bug with FI that has to be fixed..and it will I'm sure. But when? I couldn't stand that I had to check the forums 10 times a day and wish someone to fix it. I had also purchased Leap Motion which didn't work with my payware airplanes the way I thought it would.

Performance

Recently upgraded to a 6700K system a month ago and VR was not giving me the same performance with my heavy add-on aircrafts. This could translate to some stutters especially in translation head motion sometimes but also fluidity. An added benefit is that you could lower LOD way down cause you couldn't see any details in the distance either way (good for VAS). On my 2D setup I have fluid 30fps most of the time.

Conclusion

I don't want to be negative. I like VR and I certainly believe that it is the future. Also the 3d modeling is something appreciated only in VR to 100%. You feel the real dimension of everything. From the cockpit to the Jetway to the terminal, the taxiways...etc. Maybe in a year, or more. It needs to go to 4K per eye certainly. This will need better hardware. 

For now, I'm moving to a 34' ultrawide that should make things satisfactory. I ended up concluding that in 2D you don't have the immersion of being there, but you have the immersion of monitoring the flight as fast as the real pilot, and this is paramount on IFR. Losing time by zooming, leaning and moving windows does not work in a fast moving IFR ATC environment, at least for me.

• Like 2
Rafal Haczek
9 minutes ago, Ifikratis said:

I'm moving to a 34' ultrawide that should make things satisfactory.

I did that exact move a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. I am sure you will love it!
You can read my thoughts here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/499047-asking-for-advice-on-buying-an-ultrawide-monitor/page-3#entry3524798
By the way thanks for a nice review. :)

Alexander Luzajic
21 minutes ago, Ifikratis said:

There is a bug with FI that has to be fixed..and it will I'm sure. But when? I couldn't stand that I had to check the forums 10 times a day and wish someone to fix it

:) 

Alexander Luzajic
17 minutes ago, Rafal said:

I did that exact move a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. I am sure you will love it!
You can read my thoughts here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/499047-asking-for-advice-on-buying-an-ultrawide-monitor/page-3#entry3524798
By the way thanks for a nice review. :)

Nice Monitor....Not that pricey even, but since I spent $$ on new Video Card I will postpone a bit....Can't justify at this moment and in this age (LOL) to spend $ on games..... Resolution appears to be right on for FSX. Do you have whole VC in front of you now? Considering it's size... I am still trying to stretch my VC to two screen but unsuccessfully and drives me nuts. Every time I do so, it just disappears and it takes me time to revert everything back, but I've seen people have it (successfully). I tried searching on Forums but all explanations I found gave me no results. So I gave up now.

I would like to do that with two 27" Samsung I have.... 

Rafal Haczek
1 hour ago, alexanderluzajic said:

Do you have whole VC in front of you now?

That certainly depends on the zoom level and my position (I use TrackIR5).
But usually I prefer to have not a full VC in sight, somewhere up to FO's ND (included).
If I need to see the whole panel, I just move a bit back, which feels quite natural.

Here are two screenshots showing both positions. First a standard view and second the wide view:

2016-12-19_1-16-50-264_zpsp89xecev.jpg

2016-12-17_0-58-29-184_zpsiozxgyf8.jpg

• Like 1