Performance: 2d vs 3d cockpit...

Jose_Monteiro

Jose_Monteiro

Well,

to start I am not ( yet ) and FSLabs user. I actually haven't even installed FSX:SE again and am awaiting the release of the P3D version to read user comments and decide what to do ... My system is rather mid-low level ( i5 2500 @ 3,3 GHz from 2011 ) and although I have 16 GB DDR3 RAM and a GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 graphics card, I think I will have to be cautious with my install...

My FSX is FSX:SE

1) I have the dx10 fixer, so, I believe I should always install it even if I do not plan to use ANY of the fancy graphics ( shadows et al... ), because I read that it is lighter on VAS... Can you guys confirm this ?

2) I don't mind running the Airbus in 2d panel mode, and I actually thought this was the lighter way, but yesterday I read somewhere that severe FPS degradation could result from undocking instruments in 2d panel and specially when resizing them ? Is this true ?  Should I then opt for the 3d panel instead ?

3) Windowed vs Full Screen mode is the other problem I have.  I read that windowed performs better, but I always experienced better performance when running FSX:SE in full screen mode, using VSync ( 1/ 2 ) ... so, I really don't know what to think about this windowed vs full screen ... optimization. What can you had to my doubts :-) ?

Simon Kelsey

Hi Jose,

i5 760 @3.8GHz, 4GB RAM, GTX 570 here.

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

1) I have the dx10 fixer, so, I believe I should always install it even if I do not plan to use ANY of the fancy graphics ( shadows et al... ), because I read that it is lighter on VAS... Can you guys confirm this ?

I do use DX10, but only after a got an OOM. However, I was using the VC (and I hadn't really optimised the rest of my settings at the time). Personally, I wouldn't rush to buy the fixer unless you find you actually have problems (DX10 comes with its own challenges re: antialiasing configuration etc as well).

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

2) I don't mind running the Airbus in 2d panel mode, and I actually thought this was the lighter way, but yesterday I read somewhere that severe FPS degradation could result from undocking instruments in 2d panel and specially when resizing them ? Is this true ?  Should I then opt for the 3d panel instead ?

No problems with undocking windows in 2D mode. The issue is resizing windows that are already undocked (which is an FSX problem rather an an A320X problem). If you resize the panel before you undock it, it's fine (so I resize to somewhere near where I think it needs to be, undock, drag it over, if it's too big/small I dock the window again, adjust the size, then undock again etc). The 2D panel is much better performance wise -- on my system I get a stable locked 30FPS pretty well everywhere.

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

3) Windowed vs Full Screen mode is the other problem I have.  I read that windowed performs better, but I always experienced better performance when running FSX:SE in full screen mode, using VSync ( 1/ 2 ) ... so, I really don't know what to think about this windowed vs full screen ... optimization. What can you had to my doubts :-) ?

I haven't tried full screen mode with the A320X (I prefer it too, but I can't run FSX in full screen mode and have a second monitor available for panels/vPilot etc etc. P3D, on the other hand...). However, what's the worst that could happen? Try it, if it works, great -- if you find it's unstable, just revert to windowed mode. I was always under the impression that theoretically one obtained better performance in full screen mode as well (though that might be out of date) -- however, in general I can't honestly say I can notice any performance difference at all on my system between full screen and windowed.

Zeljko Budovic

1. in my testing - no. DX10 gives me higher VAS with same FSX settings i use for DX9. But it makes FSX looks good and smooth with lower settings, and this is how you get lower VAS.

2. No problems for me, but i prefer virtual cockpit. Tested 2D panels and i was able to mantain locked 30fps all the time

3. I allways run FSX in full screen mode(vsync 1/2 and locked 30fps too), no problems at all. You can force vsync in windowed mode too, if you wish:

[GRAPHICS]

ForceWindowedVsync=1

Just use google, you may need to restart Aero to make this work

I belive recomendations are made to work for most of FSL customers, not everyone uses vsync, locked fps or has a stable sim.

Hope this helps

François CHAUSSE

I use a i7 2600 K 3.4-3.8 Ghz, 16 Go RAM, Windows 7 and Geforce 760. I have installed 2D Panels only: with 2 screens and 6 or 7 undocked windows(picture below) the fps are around 30-40 even when I land at "reasonable" airports (LFMN,...)

fsl2screens2.jpg

Jose_Monteiro

For me 2d is the way to go...

With my close vision getting worst from year to year, I love Aerowinx PSX's 2d panels for their readability.

Thx for sharing this great screenshot @brivadois!  Looks Amazing!

Tell me - on a completely distinct matter that I had also brought to discussion at another thread, but keeps puzzling me whenever I watch youtubes of the Airbus... - Is that twitchiness in roll, pitch yaw and steering really like I see on those videos, specially in approach conf and landing ?

I keep watching videos, some of them rather professional and meant to be taken as tutorials, but the stick inputs, particularly of finals, have rather brisk outcomes on the aircraft roll and pitch axis ?  During takeoff and landing I can also observe an extreme sensitivity to rudder and steering tiller inputs ?

I know this product runs it's own external flight dynamics and ground physics model, so, might it be that it still requires some fine tuning ?

Simon Kelsey

Personally I think it flies just fine. If you are ham-fisted on the controls you will have problems, but that is true in any aeroplane.

The rudder & NWS is sensitive compared to other models which use the default FSX ground friction model etc, but that doesn't make it wrong. I was instructing the other day in the default C172 after having flown the A320X quite a bit and I almost went off the side of the runway in a 3kt crosswind when I demoed the takeoff -- I needed aggressive, nearly full rudder inputs just to stay on the runway during the takeoff roll. That's what we're used to because of the rubbish FSX ground friction model -- but it's not realistic at all. People refer a lot to 'kicking' the rudder -- the rudder is a large and very powerful control surface and one should only ever really use pressure on it.

Your mileage may of course vary because we are all using different hardware. However, if you fly with a light touch -- thumb and fingertips only on the stick -- and guide the aeroplane smoothly to where you want it to go then it is fine.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk