APU AUTO SHUTDOWN

Giacomo Mariucci

Giacomo Mariucci

After completing the parking checklist and connecting the external power, I switch the APU BLEED to OFF then I wait 5 seconds and I switch the APU MASTER SWITCH to OFF but, in that moment, I get a MASTER CAUTION of APU AUTO SHUTDOWN and the FAULT LIGHT comes on on the APU MASTER SWITCH pushbutton. It would have been cool if it happened once every 20 flights...but not in almost all of them!! :blink: Five flights completed and 3 of them experiencing this FAULT. Quite frustrating, isn't it? Any idea? :mellow:

Andrea Bianchini

I had the same problem but I just discovered that I was doing the API shutdown procedure wrong.

I push and disengage apu bleed, then I push apu master switch to off. The apu start remains a while in avail but then the light extinguish.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

Giacomo Mariucci
41 minutes ago, ginopatrassi said:

I had the same problem but I just discovered that I was doing the API shutdown procedure wrong.

I push and disengage apu bleed, then I push apu master switch to off. The apu start remains a while in avail but then the light extinguish.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

I apply the same procedure :) : EXT PWR ON...APU BLEED OFF...WAIT 5 SECONDS and then APU MASTER SWITCH OFF but right in that moment an APU auto shutdown occurs. It doesn't happen at the end of all my flights but quite too often. Maybe FsLabs have simulated even the Maintenance personnel on strike? :lol:

Giacomo Mariucci

Nikola,

I agree with you. But what if, for example, I wanna simulate a really hot day at an airport in which external air conditioning is not available? I should expect frequent problems with the APU?

I also had this happen a couple flights in a row. But it seems I've found the problem:

Make sure the APU START pushbutton is NOT PRESSED in when you turn off the APU MASTER.

For me, the start button remained pushed in after APU start due to moving the mouse off the switch while clicking. (Known FSX bug/feature) Unfortunately, the difference is hard to notice, but I've trained myself to listen for the second click of the APU START button returning to the normal position.

Haven't had this problem since I started paying attention to that detail...

Hope this helps...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JackAirbus said:

Nikola,

I agree with you. But what if, for example, I wanna simulate a really hot day at an airport in which external air conditioning is not available? I should expect frequent problems with the APU?

No, I didn't say that. 

It's completely fine you want to simulate that.

It seems Lars has the answer. Will try it next time.

Alessandro Dallago

To add to the subject, if external power is connected and the batteries are off, auto shut down will occur when turning on the Apu, an easy mistake to make when pressed for time. 

Giacomo Mariucci
26 minutes ago, Tyrion said:

I also had this happen a couple flights in a row. But it seems I've found the problem:

Make sure the APU START pushbutton is NOT PRESSED in when you turn off the APU MASTER.

For me, the start button remained pushed in after APU start due to moving the mouse off the switch while clicking. (Known FSX bug/feature) Unfortunately, the difference is hard to notice, but I've trained myself to listen for the second click of the APU START button returning to the normal position.

Haven't had this problem since I started paying attention to that detail...

Hope this helps...

Thank you Tyrion! I'll give it a try!

23 minutes ago, A320FO said:

To add to the subject, if external power is connected and the batteries are off, auto shut down will occur when turning on the Apu, an easy mistake to make when pressed for time. 

Good reminder! Just as stated in the FCOM! ;)

Thanks a lot guys for your help!

44 minutes ago, Tyrion said:

Yes same here the only time I had an apu fault was with the apu start button still pressed.

Never happened to me, but I rarely use apu bleed after landing. No one will die for 5 minutes until ground crew connect bridge and ground air.

You'd be surprised how quickly the cabin heats up on a hot day. In the minute or so it takes to start the engine, the cabin gets warmer.

52 minutes ago, Check Airman said:

You'd be surprised how quickly the cabin heats up on a hot day. In the minute or so it takes to start the engine, the cabin gets warmer.

That's true, even just from people inside. ~5000J per minute per person is emitted inside cabin. Just a basic metabolism. 

8 hours ago, JackAirbus said:

Tyrion,

I tried as you suggested and...SOLVED! I'm not experiencing this kind of fault anymore! Thank you so much! :D

Glad to hear that! You're welcome!