[RESOLVED] Changing Altitude

pcubine

In the VC I cannot get the default altitude of 100 to change to 5000. I can change the 100 to 1000 on the black ring. When ever I touch and click any white part of the altitude knob, the knob just go in and out and I can find no spot around the knob that is a click spot. Tried both left and right clicks. Knobs go in and out. How can the altitude be changed?

O_l_i_v_e_rM_a_e_r_t_e_n_s

Hi Michael,

move your mouse slightly to the outside of the knob until the pointer changes from a "finger" to an open hand. You can click or use the scroll-wheel in that area.

EDIT: That's for the 2D cockpit. In the VC just use the mouse wheel when hovering over the ALT knob.

Edited by olli4740
1 hour ago, olli4740 said:

outside of the knob until the pointer changes from a "finger" to an open hand.

Oliver

It never changes to a open hand. I don't know if it ever becomes a finger. I think it just stayed a pointer.  I will have to check that tomorrow. That's the way it's changed in the PMDG MD-11 and I have done that thousands of times. Thanks for the reply.

So you are confirming you're in the 2D cockpit, not in the Virtual Cockpit? (In the VC the mouse pointer doesn't change.)

Is the cockpit your active window? Or is your mouse coming from a different monitor or from a different application window and you haven't yet clicked into the cockpit to make it your active window? (The scroll wheel won't work until you make the cockpit window your active one.)

23 minutes ago, olli4740 said:

So you are confirming you're in the 2D cockpit, not in the Virtual Cockpit? (In the VC the mouse pointer doesn't change.)

Is the cockpit your active window? Or is your mouse coming from a different monitor or from a different application window and you haven't yet clicked into the cockpit to make it your active window? (The scroll wheel won't work until you make the cockpit window your active one.)

Oliver

I am in the VC (see post #1) so I should just expect a pointer not a finger. The VC is the active window. No other windows are open. FSX is the only application running. At the time of installation I selected the VC with pop ups as opposed to the 2-D or pure VC. This means when I am in the VC I can right click and then click on a menu for the Captain View, Virtual Cockpit, Overhead Panel. Pedestal, First Officers Seat, Jump Seat, etc. During the preflight I have used some of the view but Virtual Cockpit was the view selected when I tried to changed the altitude. Just had thought while typing this. I was in the full screen mode. I need to try it in windowed mode and see what happens.

21 minutes ago, pcubine said:

(...) I need to try it in windowed mode and see what happens.

In full screen mode in the VC my mouse operations don't seem to be reliable. I had to click somewhere (some empty spot) on the main panel to get my mouse wheel changing the altitude again.

38 minutes ago, olli4740 said:

In full screen mode in the VC my mouse operations don't seem to be reliable. I had to click somewhere (some empty spot) on the main panel to get my mouse wheel changing the altitude again.

Oliver

Windowed mode made no difference. I done with this piece of junk. $100 bucks right down toilet. I will keep on flying PMDG planes.

Bob,

I'm Oliver, he's Michael.   ;-)

I was wondering whether something like the auto-updated stream of this forum site could be the reason for the VC window to "lose focus"?

On my system, every time I click into the cockpit window again, the mouse wheel function returns. (VC and 2D, full screen and windowed mode.)

7 hours ago, makoy777 said:

They did mention in their website it is to be flown in window mode didn't they?

Yes FSLabs did. I have all settings in FSX and NI set for full screen and that the way they are going to stay.

Have you tried the scroll wheel on your mouse? I fly full screen and never really get much of any mouse cursors in the VC and when I do they're pretty inconsistent. I just put my mouse pointer over what I want to change and if it's a rotary selection knob, use the scroll wheel. Works 100% of the time. 

It works that very same way with PMDG products save for the kind of clunky way the T7 is modeled with the baro and DH/MDA knobs...but I digress...

2 hours ago, adamant365 said:

I just put my mouse pointer over what I want to change and if it's a rotary selection knob, use the scroll wheel. Works 100% of the time. 

It works that very same way with PMDG products save for the kind of clunky way the T7 is modeled with the baro and DH/MDA knobs...but I digress...

I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks. T7, page 98, Introduction Manual. Change setting from realistic to rotary.

Christopher Allan

@pcubine The same goes for some of the light knobs. Put the mouse pointer over the knob, then use the mouse wheel. When you scroll the mousewheel, a turning hand symbol will mysteriously appear and start turning the knob in the VC.

It is clear you have not consulted the supplied documentation thoroughly, or you would have seen the following statement on page 11 of the Introduction Guide in the section with the title Mouse Button Useage: "...However, these clickspots are not available in the Virtual Cockpit. In VC mode these knobs can only be rotated using the scroll wheel."

Complex add-ons can be frustrating to learn how to use at times, but I would encourage you to give yourself a chance, and keep going back to the books, and practising. You only insult yourself by making brash derogations like you did before.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pcubine said:

I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. (...)

Michael,

pls. click some empty spot on the main panel in the VC (windowed mode or full screen shouldn't matter), try the scroll wheel to change your altitude, and tell us how that works for you.

This bird contains more subtleties than the B777 (and the A320-X also has more of a mind of its own! :lol:).

Try it first without clicking an empty spot. I've never had to do that on mine and I run full screen all the time except when changing panel states. 

Then if simply scrolling doesn't work, try the click an empty spot trick. 

peter kelberg
5 hours ago, X24 said:

It is clear you have not consulted the supplied documentation thoroughly, or you would have seen the following statement on page 11 of the Introduction Guide in the section with the title Mouse Button Useage: "...However, these clickspots are not available in the Virtual Cockpit. In VC mode these knobs can only be rotated using the scroll wheel."

This  goes  with all addons  seems  that people cant be bothered  to read  the introduction manual ;)

9 hours ago, X24 said:

Mouse Button Useage: "...However, these clickspots are not available in the Virtual Cockpit. In VC mode these knobs can only be rotated using the scroll wheel."

11 hours ago, adamant365 said:

Have you tried the scroll wheel on your mouse? I fly full screen and never really get much of any mouse cursors in the VC and when I do they're pretty inconsistent. I just put my mouse pointer over what I want to change and if it's a rotary selection knob, use the scroll wheel. Works 100% of the time. 

I put the pointer right on top of the white knob and used the wheel to increase the altitude from 100 to 5000. So it works. I can now move to the next step in the tutorial. Thanks for the help.

9 hours ago, olli4740 said:

click some empty spot on the main panel in the VC (windowed mode or full screen shouldn't matter), try the scroll wheel to change your altitude, and tell us how that works for you.

Oliver

I put the pointer right on top of the while knob and used the scroll wheel to change altitudes. It works. Thanks for the help.