FSLSpotlights updated to resolve dxgi.dll crash!

Lefteris Kalamaras

Lefteris Kalamaras

Hello all,

I've just made FSLSpotlights v1.0.0.22 available to everyone in our Downloads area. It should fix the crash bug with dxgi.dll in DX10 and DX11 (P3D).

Please let us know if that works for you!

Be warned:

After loading this new update it hoses PTA - message cant find shader cache - may have to put back original shaders and let pta do its thing again - make sure you have a backup of your original shadershlsl folder

Hmm restored original shaders folder but still getting an error message:ERROR: Shaders cache directory not set! 

Checking it now

Heres the deal:

Option "A"

1. You should restore your original backup of your Shaders HLSL entire folder

2. You must run P3D as after this new spotlights install it deleted the P3D shader folder located here: C:\Users\rsvet\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

3. PTA will now work

=================================================================================

Option "B" You can try this first - easiset way and no harm trying

1. You must run P3D as after this new spotlights install it deleted the P3D shader folder

2. You may not have to You should restore your original backup of your Shaders HLSL entire folder - just run P3D as the reason you are getting a shader cache error message is because the new Spotlights install deletes the P3D shader folder entirely located here: C:\Users\rsvet\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

Lefteris Kalamaras

That is not the shader folder. It's the shader cache folder. It can be deleted at any time and it should be restored by p3d when it runs next time. 

Chris Keller
7 hours ago, slopey said:

So this means we can use PTA and shader add-ons alongside with Spotlights now?

No problems here with PTA. I just installed Spotlights and that was it. No need to use or restore the original ShadersHLSL files.

Lefteris Kalamaras

It should be. Give it and try and let us know, it's free for any FSL Aircraft and you can also try it around LGAV for free as well.

Edit: Looks like I got my hopes up too soon.  Using d3d9.dll, splash screen briefly flashes then closes with no error in Windows logs.  Uninstalling FSSpotLights removes this problem and FSX:SE starts normally.  Behaves this way with Reshade 0.19.2, 1.10, 2.02f1.

Back to the holding pattern I go for purchasing the A320 and reinstalling my Concorde!

Lefteris Kalamaras

Can you rename d3d9.dll to dxgi.dll in the FSX folder and try that way?

If that does not work, we'll set you up with Visual Studio Community and we'll try some debugging on your end, if you don't mind that is.

Depending on the version of dll I'm using at the time, when renamed dxgi.dll, either a) a CTD when clicking "show desktop", not minimize, in flight (Faulting module name: unknown) or b ) a CTD at the opening screen by clicking "free flight" (Faulting module name: dxgi.dll or sometimes unknown).

This behavior was present in FSX SP2 and now FSX:SE.  In fact, I completely uninstalled FSX SP2 and bought/installed FSX:SE with my add-ons from scratch again in an attempt to get FS Spotlights working in DX10 with Concorde v1.31/1.32 and a shader to no avail.  Hence, my hesitation to reinstall the Concorde or buy the A320.

Lefteris Kalamaras

I would be happy to take a look at your system, if you're willing to go through a Teamviewer session with me. Send me a PM with your Skype details and we'll do that.

Michael Avallone

Hello, I have not had that particular crash but last night I did get two TDR events ( graphics driver crashed) when I have not had that problem for a long time.. 

Is is it possible that this update to spotlights could fix that?. I understand TDR events are mostly due to a unstable OC but the system was stable on cross country flights prior to last night.

figured I would ask before I remove all over locks and start from scratch.

Lefteris Kalamaras

No, Teamviewer does not relinquish control at all - it works in tandem with the remote user (i.e. if the remote user tries anything fishy, you simply stop them using it immediately). In essence, it's as if both users hold the mouse and keyboard and can see the screen.

Before we do that, hang on - I am tracking an issue with ReShade and DX9 where I could reproduce the issue. I'll post here when I have more news.

Michael Avallone
43 minutes ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

What were you doing at the time of the TDR crashes? Are you flying window mode or full screen?

first one I was climbing out of jfk on autopilot at 15k feet,. second time was after I finished my flight to Boston and looked up (trackir) to shut a switch off.. 

i don't think it's related to the a320 but I have had a couple of glitches in my sim the last few days... one time my mdcu popups had a black background instead of grey... like the texture for the mdcu was missing.. 

another time I had a trackir crash and had to restart it... kind of odd, it may be something in my OC or maybe my graphics card is going south.

i will update spotlights tonight and see if it helps

Michael Avallone
2 hours ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Mike-

yes, it sounds like it's not related to the A320-X, it has to do with your overclocking...

I agree, I will back it down to stock speeds and then start over on my OC, this is a new build ( 1 month old 6700k)   I had TDR issues before when running X.M.P. so I increased system agent and vccio voltages and that seemed to solve it for awhile,. had no problems until last night.. 

Either way way I will install the update,. thank you

Lefteris Kalamaras
19 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Depending on the version of dll I'm using at the time, when renamed dxgi.dll, either a) a CTD when clicking "show desktop", not minimize, in flight (Faulting module name: unknown) or b ) a CTD at the opening screen by clicking "free flight" (Faulting module name: dxgi.dll or sometimes unknown).

This behavior was present in FSX SP2 and now FSX:SE.  In fact, I completely uninstalled FSX SP2 and bought/installed FSX:SE with my add-ons from scratch again in an attempt to get FS Spotlights working in DX10 with Concorde v1.31/1.32 and a shader to no avail.  Hence, my hesitation to reinstall the Concorde or buy the A320.

OK - I ran many tests here and you're correct, there is incompatibility between ReShade and Spotlights at the moment.

Unfortunately, the issue is deeper than I expected and since ReShade does NOT expose their interface (they do TONS of hooking internal DirectX functions), it's impossible to tell if we can fix it in a relatively short time.

As a result, we recommend you run FSX without ReShade, or you run without Spotlights (the A320-X itself has no issues).

Lefteris Kalamaras
On 30/8/2016 at 0:54 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

Great product Lefteris, very easy to use and setup.

I don't use PTA or reshade or any product that uses it's own DXGI, so never had any issues with Spotlights.  But thanks for the update.

I'm trying to use GIT (GoFlight Interface Tool) to find simconnect events/lvars that I could perhaps use to turn on/off the various lights I've setup ... any hints welcome?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob-

at the moment, no hints, as we do not expose the interface to Lvars or events. We do have this in mind for upcoming releases though so when it happens, I'll update everyone.

Michael Avallone

I tried to install the new version of spotlights and all hell broke loose.... Now I get crashes all the time, I just uninstalled the a320 and spotlights and I am going to try and install from scratch

Reinstall didn't fix it

its crashing earlier and earlier... First it would crash instantly when I touched a light, then just from powering it up and now it won't even load

ok editing this again.... Now it seems to be working?????? Except I lost the sound for the thrust lever gates, AP disconnect sound is gone and none of the call outs or retard sound is working??

8 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Excellent, yes it would be very nice to be able to turn these light sets on/off without the mouse.

Another way forward/opportunity would be to extend to exterior lights (might be stepping on Keven's toes, FSFXPackages) so we can have volumetric lighting of landing lights and the like (a replacement for Shockwave lights that don't really work well in P3D).

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: after you get the Airbus out for P3D of course :)

There's volumetric 3D lighting already in the Immersion Packages. If we have FSLabs add volumetric 3d lighting, that will conflict with those of us who have the Immersion Packages FSFXPackages.

On September 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

... or you run without Spotlights (the A320-X itself has no issues).

Glad I was correct on the compatibility issue and this isn't (still) isolated to my system.  I look forward to a fix.

According to some in this thread, the A320 doesn't work "properly" without Spotlights.  So, I'm confused.  Think I'll go ahead and keep waiting for an FSL Spotlight resolution before purchasing.

Wayne Klockner

Just to be clear, one can download Spotlights, install it, and it'll work with the A320X without purchasing it.

peter kelberg
5 hours ago, RudiJG1 said:

Just to be clear, one can download Spotlights, install it, and it'll work with the A320X without purchasing it.

post 2  will answer  your  question

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me fslspotlights unusable I have to uninstall it cause having it installed causes me the dxgi.dll crash.... no words sir the problem is your software.... without all works ...with the error .... the consequence is easy to understand... I'm very disappointed with all the money paid for...please help us

Lefteris Kalamaras
6 hours ago, mari8it said:

For me fslspotlights unusable I have to uninstall it cause having it installed causes me the dxgi.dll crash.... no words sir the problem is your software.... without all works ...with the error .... the consequence is easy to understand... I'm very disappointed with all the money paid for...please help us

Dear Mario,

do you have other add-ons installed, such as ReShade or MilViz aircraft? If it's possible, please attach your dll.xml and let us know.

Sir The problem is present only when I install fslspotlight and this is a fact ..... I will send you my dll.xml as soon as possible but it is a fact that you have to search the problem in your software cause all works without it , thanks 

HERE YOU ARE....... and so?:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
    <Descr>Launch</Descr>
    <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>FSLOptions</Name>
        <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
        <Path>FSLabs\DLLs\FSLOptions.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>FSLEvents</Name>
        <Path>FSLabs\DLLs\FSLEvents.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>FSLSounds</Name>
        <Path>FSLabs\DLLs\FSLSounds.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>PMDG Interface</Name>
        <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_Interface.dll</Path>
        <DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
        <DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>RAASPRO</Name>
        <Path>.\RAASPRO\RAASPRO.dll</Path>
        <DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
        <DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
        <Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>as_connect</Name>
        <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>FSLSpotLights</Name>
        <Path>FSLabs\FSLSpotLights\DLL\FSLSpotLights_P3D.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

• Like 1
Michael Gadeberg

Hello Mario. Looking at your dll.xml I can see that FSLspotlights entry is at the very bottom. Try and move this entry up between the FSLsounds entry and the PMDG entry.

My dll.xml looked like yours and moving FSLspotlights up below the other FSLabs entries fixed it.

• 3 weeks later...
S_r_d_a_n  K_o_s_t_i_c

I have constantly a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

Only if i use FSSpotlights

Build 33, P3D 3.4 latest

Is it possible to obtain a refund?

Can't say a thing about a refund, but are you aware that the DXGI problem is a general one, most often seen in connection with NVIDIA cards, and very often with other games too?
There are couple threads here, there are hints what you can try to a avoid it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
S_r_d_a_n  K_o_s_t_i_c
18 minutes ago, tonaz said:

As i was saying, i can fly 9 hours with no error without spotlight. If i turn on the lights, the error comes sooner or later (sooner than 9 hours for sure).

I know, and I wasn't disputing that.

Never had this in absolutely no other games (Battlefield1 (which is infamous about DXGI_ERROR), Fifa, Horizon3...).

As it is currently absolutely unknown what really causes DXGI errors - and I believe the first to fix the error would be Microsoft and Nvidia, is my guess, you can't just point your finger and say "Spotlights". You simply only see the trigger (Spotlights), but don't know the cause.

Remember all the unexplained crashes with FSX (starting with g3d.dll, g2d.dll, ntdll...). Did we know the cause? Not really. Were we miserable? Yes. Did we stop using it? No.

Here in the forums there are no real fixes about this.

Of course there are not. There aren't any real fixes across the internet, if you search. I did some extensive testing and searching, and trying, and reinstalling windows, trying different drivers etc.

My conclusions were that using older driver, it was more stable (thus why I'm on the 372.20 currently), and not using Firefox while simming (or turn off the GPU acceleration). Also, I made sure that I only have a SINGLE nvlddmkm.sys file on my system, that being the right one, and stopping Windows from updating it. Now, if you read these things carefully you will see there are many problems here:

- windows updating drivers automatically

- windows having different .sys (main driver) files laying around (yes, it happens)

- having to use DDU to clean it thoroughly

etc.

Plus I use some tweaks in NI for single display performance and always use max performance.

Currently I haven't experienced DXGI for some while, and I believe some of these things I did minimized the probability? Removed it? Unlikely.

Actually, i dont want to seem rude, but to be honest i payed for a working product, not for something that needs my work to be fixed. I'm sick and tired of softwares that need fixes.

Thanks anyways, i will ask for a refund in a proper way.

It is your right to expect a working product. However, before you blame the product, in my opinion, you must be (scientifically) sure that the problem is the said software. Are you really so sure it's not something in P3D, or Nvidia driver, or Windows? Because if you are, then you must have a solution too (what is broken, can be fixed).

I hope all goes the way you want it to go. Whatever way that might be.

• Like 1
S_r_d_a_n  K_o_s_t_i_c

Actually,

I'd like to ask anyone having this problem, to search for nvlddmkm.sys on your whole system partition.
Please report if you have a single file (then check for the version and compare to the driver you *know* you last installed) or you have multiple files.
Thanks