Randall Smith

Setting up the tiller using FSUIPC registered

Randall Smith

Is there a secret to getting the rudder pedals more responsive to taxi the aircraft. Mine are almost unresponsive which is opposite of what they are for my PMDG aircraft.

Is there a way to use the tiller with the mouse.

And yes I to am having brake OH issues.

Randy

Essono Fritz

Hey everyone -

It seems a lot of simmers are misreading the manuals and don't understand the way the tiller is set up in the FSL. 

First of all you can change the 'comma' to whatever letter you like (I changed mine to 'T') in the FSX menu >Add-ons>FSLabs >Keyboard Commands. This assignment simulates the Pedal Disc button found in the real thing (check your FCOMs :) ). 

Then you have two solutions presented to you in the MCDU OPTIONS MENU (MCDU OPTION page 2 >CONTROLS >RUDDER PEDALS

1. First solution (ON, default), is when you have NO extra axis left on your hardware for a seperate tiller axis and no registered FSUIPC to assign axis...

Rudder and nosewheel are controlled with one axis only.

'T' not pressed : nose wheel range +/- 6 degrees turn. Nosewheel and rudder move together. 

'T' pressed : nose wheel range up to +/- 75 degrees turn. Rudder doesn't move. 

2. Second solution (OFF), you have an axis left and also FSUIPC registered. 

- Assign your hardware axis into FSUIPC : "Axis Assignment" Tab > Send to FS as normal axis >Steering Set (NOT the 'Steering Tiller' found in Send Direct to FSUIPC Calibration!)

- Change the setting to OFF on the MCDU OPTIONS MENU (MCDU OPTION page 2 >CONTROLS >RUDDER PEDALS > OFF

Now, just like the real thing your (newly assigned) steering axis gives you FULL authority (at taxi speeds) over the nose wheel. Pressing (and holding) the 'Pedal Disc' ('T' rememeber?) helps you keep the aircraft straight during rudder travel check (as it disconnects the pedals from the NWS when Pedal Disc is pressed). 

Remember Rudder pedals can move the nosewheel too, in a limited range tho. 

Here you go fellas. :)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

atco

Thank you! I came here just to find out about this exact issue after doing some off-roading during my taxi at YSSY !

The wording in the FMGC is a little confusing because under Controls --> Rudder Pedals it says "Pedals work in tandem with steering tiller axis in FSUIPC" and that is how I had it set. Hopefully when I arrive in YMML I will be able to stick to the taxiways this time :D

Thanks for this very timely info

• Like 1

Ben Weston

So am I correct in the understanding that with option 1, you don't need to press the comma key at all (unless you're doing the rudder check) whilst taxying as all the steering is done via the rudder? Apologies for potentially being hard of thinking here. 

Essono Fritz

Ben - In option 1 (ON), the Pedal Disc function doesn't work (like the real thing). 

J_U_A_N__R-A-M-O-S

So, im right to assume that with this joystick that only has 11 buttons and a throttle (WITHOUT pedals or the twist feature) i could use the airbus just fine with method 1?

17392.png

Essono Fritz

You would need an axis for the rudder (unless you're planning or not using it), just ANY other aircraft addon. Cheers. 

JunHa

Thank you for the post. One thing I don't like is that the rudder pedal is too sensitive. I noticed the problem right before takeoff and right after landing. When A320x is on the runway with high speed, I harshly tried to line up in the middle. Because of the sensitivity it is so hard to control the rudder pedal. 

• Like 1

Essono Fritz

I don't know how you're set. Rudder only or Rudder + Tiller. 

But, one thing (or two) you need to know is that, the real Bus has a VERY effective rudder. It just take some time and practice to get used to. Same thing for the taxi/NWS behavior. The real thing is sharp and does NOT slip as easily as most FSX addons do. 

Stop assuming you know how it should behave (on the ground and in the air) or expecting similar behaviors blablabla or comparing to other and start learning perhaps. 

I tested this thing 6 long years and I am STILL learning things about it everyday... Just my two cents... Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Khoa Nguyen
42 minutes ago, Epikk said:

I don't know how you're set. Rudder only or Rudder + Tiller. 

But, one thing (or two) you need to know is that, the real Bus has a VERY effective rudder. It just take some time and practice to get used to. Same thing for the taxi/NWS behavior. The real thing is sharp and does NOT slip as easily as most FSX addons do. 

Stop assuming you know how it should behave (on the ground and in the air) or expecting similar behaviors blablabla or comparing to other and start learning perhaps. 

I tested this thing 6 long years and I am STILL learning things about it everyday... Just my two cents... Hope this helps. 

I'm using the gamepad with one axis is used as a rudder, while accelerating for take off the rudder reatcs so sensitive so my airbus almost like rolling a bit to the left and right as i try to keep it in the center line. Do you have any suggestion to reduce its sensitivity? Thanks

Essono Fritz

Less rudder inputs. Practice, practice, practice. :)

• Like 1

Jürgen Heuwetter
12 hours ago, Epikk said:

[...]

- Assign your hardware axis into FSUIPC : "Axis Assignment" Tab > Send to FS as normal axis >Steering Set (NOT the 'Steering Tiller' found in Send Direct to FSUIPC Calibration!)

[...]

THAT's what I screwed up first... Best example for RTFM thoroughly! :lol:

• Like 2

João Gouveia

Just one question... is it possible to have the "comma" key as a toggle instead of a push-and-hold. It gets hard to control thrust and steering while having to hold a key down.

Thank you

• Like 3

Lefteris Kalamaras
7 hours ago, Flightplayer said:

Just one question... is it possible to have the "comma" key as a toggle instead of a push-and-hold. It gets hard to control thrust and steering while having to hold a key down.

Thank you

We have this issue under consideration - I will not guarantee it will make it in too soon, but it's on the list. I am a bit concerned about the issues it might create (rather that "solve") for people who will forget to toggle it back off.

• Like 3

gerard van veldhoven

Then you have two solutions presented to you in the MCDU OPTIONS MENU (MCDU OPTION page 2 >CONTROLS >RUDDER PEDALS

First solution (ON, default), is when you have NO extra axis left on your hardware for a seperate tiller axis and no registered FSUIPC to assign axis...

- The nosewheel is slaved to the rudder.

They move together and are controlled by only one axis : rudder

Can you please confirm ,

In this case you still have to press and hold  the , ( comma , or in your case the T button )  to get full deflection of the nose gear while taxiing, without pressing the , or T the nose wheel is limited to 6 degrees , correct ?

Thanks,

Max H

Rudder is very sensitive, yes we have to practise! flying the pmdg for years, so it is a bit unaccustomed!

O_l_i_v_e_rM_a_e_r_t_e_n_s

So an option to assign the tiller to some of the other default axes (3rd propeller axis or 4th mixture axis, no registered version of FSUIPC would be needed then) has been dismissed? As this may conflict with hardware setups for 3- and 4-engined planes?

Luca Casalucci

One question, can I use a joystick button as the "comma" key?

varhelyikornel
On 2016. 08. 28. at 9:25 AM, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

We have this issue under consideration - I will not guarantee it will make it in too soon, but it's on the list. I am a bit concerned about the issues it might create (rather that "solve") for people who will forget to toggle it back off.

Could we have this as an option in the MCDU? Seriously, is very annoying pressing that button at all times when turning on ground. Make that PEDAL DISC button come alive, when we press it, it uses the rudder only plus the +/-6° nose wheel steering, when pressing again, it couples up with the rudder and the +/-75° steering. And have the option in the MCDU options for those, who want to use separate axis for the tiller. I think this would be the most comprehensive solution for everyone.

• Like 3

Bob Lyddy
2 hours ago, Luca said:

One question, can I use a joystick button as the "comma" key?

Yes, try it via FSUIPC or re-map a joystick button via FSX Controls page.

Luca Casalucci
8 minutes ago, Bob L said:

Yes, try it via FSUIPC or re-map a joystick button via FSX Controls page.

and what is the fsx command i have to change?

• Like 2

sidfadc

Can you set this up like the q400 and assign the nosewheel steering to the ailerons?

• Like 1

Erick F-B-W
On 30/08/2016 at 8:49 PM, varhelyikornel said:

Make that PEDAL DISC button come alive, when we press it, it uses the rudder only plus the +/-6° nose wheel steering, when pressing again, it couples up with the rudder and the +/-75° steering. And have the option in the MCDU options for those, who want to use separate axis for the tiller. I think this would be the most comprehensive solution for everyone.

Absolutely !...

Max Vargas

I tried to change the tiller from "," to "X" using the fslabs menu option, when I press the x key (or anything) fsx stops working and closes.

Max Vargas

I was able to delete the "," command but now I can't reprogram the tiller.

Bob Lyddy

Go to the FSX Menu - select Add-Ons - FSLabs - General - Keyboard Commands...

Max Vargas
33 minutes ago, Bob L said:

Go to the FSX Menu - select Add-Ons - FSLabs - General - Keyboard Commands...

Bob that's what I did. I deleted the comma command (Rudder Disconnect). Then I tried to program instead the X key. Selected Disconnect - Set - pressed the X key and got the windows message closing fsx.

I also have in Add-ons menu:

-Fsuipc not registered, it seems to work.

-Fslabs ground services did work fine.

-But fslabs spotlights does nothing when I select it! Maybe the same problem? 

Rgds

Rdisc.JPG

Max Vargas

What you see in the picture is exactly what happens when I press the x key (or any key btw)

Bob Yunque

I just set my joystick's twist axis to "Steering Tiller" in (registered) FSUIPC and a joystick button that is easy to hold while twisting the handle, to the "," and my tiller works perfectly.  Very simple.

Bob

Max Vargas
5 hours ago, signmanbob said:

I just set my joystick's twist axis to "Steering Tiller" in (registered) FSUIPC and a joystick button that is easy to hold while twisting the handle, to the "," and my tiller works perfectly.  Very simple.

Bob

Finally I was able to change the "," key for the "X" which I prefer since the "," is near the dot key which breaks the airplane so this one is much easier to spot, for me at least.

Bob Yunque
59 minutes ago, Max Vargas said:

Finally I was able to change the "," key for the "X" which I prefer since the "," is near the dot key which breaks the airplane so this one is much easier to spot, for me at least.

If you have a registered version of FSUIPC, the "," key can easily be anything you want it to be.

Max Vargas
9 hours ago, signmanbob said:

If you have a registered version of FSUIPC, the "," key can easily be anything you want it to be.

I do now, problem solved thks

Flamin_Squirrel

I couldn't get this working until now because I'd used Steering Tiller. Thanks!

ConstantinXIV

I can't use the tiller in A320. I've tried to assign diferent key for the disconnect button, but nothing works. No change when I press the key, I still get only 6 degrees of nose wheel movement. The reason I don't use the FSUIPC axis setting is because of the sim freeze problem. As I said, I've tried with different keys, I've pressed and hold the button... nothing. I have the disc button turned on in FMGC.

Lauri Sivuoja

Do you have "pedal controls NWS" selected in the MCDU?

ConstantinXIV

Yes, I do have pedal controls NWS turned on.

Bob Lyddy

Constantin - you reviewed the FAQ regarding the tiller?

Niklas Herrele

I have registered version of FSUIPC but just one axis for rudder and NWS is there a way to use the Pedal Disc ? 

Do i miss something ? 

All the best Niklas 

Bob Lyddy

Niklas - have a look at the FAQ...

Sang Hyun Yoon

I just keep pressing  "comma" key then use joystick rudder to tiller. 

• Like 1

Riccardo_Parachini

Hey guys! I really like using joystick twist as steering tiller, I wonder, is there any advised setting for sensitivity and dead zone?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Fabrizio Pascucci

Hi I have some trouble my self.

I have on pedal controls NWS in MCDU the key I set is "à" in fslab option menu in FSUIPC set the pedals to ruddr set.

In ths way nothing change by pressing à I can't see any animation on the tiller.

The only way in FSUIPC is to set to the same axis to the steering set and ruddr set in that way I can see any animation of the tiller.

If is not going to destroy the belly I will keep like this until to solve the puzzle.

Why not push the knob on the tiller to active it for taxi  and then push again to operate the rudder.

Holger Tillmann

Can someone enlighten me weather the tiller on the real bus has a detent for when the nosegear is at 0°? I am asking because I have an extra axis with no detent (FSUIPC will figure out the middle).

Best,

Holger

Pete Banner

Can someone enlighten me weather the tiller on the real bus has a detent for when the nosegear is at 0°? I am asking because I have an extra axis with no detent (FSUIPC will figure out the middle).

Best,

Holger

There is no physical detent as such (a fully smooth operation through the zero point), but when released it will zero. Hope this helps.