FSL Spotlights FAQ

Bob L

Q: I cannot see the FSL Spotlights controller window inside Prepar3D v5.

A: The initial release of FSL Spotlights does not contain a controller window inside Prepar3D v5 due to the change from DirectX11 to DirectX12. We expect this to be added in a future release, but there is no release date for it.

Q: The sim crashes upon launching with FSL Spotlights installed. 

A: Does your dll.xml file contain an entry for VRS TacPack or "Milviz_pack.dll" ? Either disable it, or go in their settings and remove the DX Experimental feature.

Q: The sim crashes upon launching with FSL Spotlights installed.  My OS = Win7 SP1

A. Right click on the file - dxgi.dll and if it is OLDER than this version - 6.2.9200.16492 13-Jan-2013, then you need to apply the Win7 SP1  Platform Update, which can be found at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805

Q: FSX tells me that FSL Spotlights is not installed correctly.

A: Ensure that you've run the Flight1 FSX Registry Repair tool from here and given it the proper path to the FSX executable. Then, restart the FSLService (or preferably reboot your computer first).

Q: I am getting the "Flight Simulator has detected a problem with a third-party software program (add-on): Name FSLSpotlights.dll or other .dlls): Do you want to run this software (not recommended)? Then, even if I click Yes, Flight Simulator crashes.

A: This is because something caused an error in a previous load of Flight Simulator and Windows decided to intervene and permanently mark that DLL as unsafe. You need to run "regedit", find the registry setting for

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

and in there, edit the entry for fsx.exe to REMOVE any mentions of

Data = $IgnoreFreeLibrary<FSLSounds.dll>

(or the other FSL dlls accordingly).

Then, restart FSX - you'll get the error message once again, but click Yes, and the application will work correctly this time.

Also, make sure your FSX is running as Administrator.

Q: FSX Steam just dies after FSL Spotlights have been installed - no error message.

A: Make sure you have the Steam overlay disabled from Steam -> Settings -> In Game option.

• Bob L locked this topic