Anyone flying P3D in 1440p ?

Milan Assuied

Milan Assuied

Hi everyone,

Back in the days I bought the original Concorde X for FSX and had some fun on a regular basis with it. However the performance impact was huge, I experienced crashes, and I put it aside.

Today I am really interested in getting the P3D version, my rig went up and people assured me that the new version was far better so I think it should be good on that side, even if the sceneries (i'm on ftx, like a lot of people) are getting more and more complex. The point is I am playing in 1440p and someone pointed out that :

" Be aware that running the simulator at screen resolutions higher than 1920×1080 will cause significantly increased VAS memory requirements and it is NOT recommended "

So basically I am just here to get your experiences and then decide to make the jump or not ... Also, I remember having bad experience with stability in a general way so I'd also like to have your comments about it

Thanks much and happy flying

Jip van Kuijk

I run the game at 2560*1440 yes, I run at 30 FPS during take off / landing with average weather and 60 FPS plus during cruise.

Also take a look at my visual improvement package/livery that improves VAS usage (mostly during dusk/night/dawn) but also during daytime flying. 
Repaint with updated Specular and Bump maps, high resolution. Improved VirtualCockpit!

Milan Assuied

A repaint that improve quality and memory usage  ? That's great thanks a lot for this.

May I ask what are your P3D settings, i have a rig similar to yours, my 6700K run at 4.5Ghz and my graphic card is a 1080. I can get up to 40fps with all settings maxed, pmdg aircraft, on an "medium" ftx scene like AYPY, or with some lower settings on a "huge" ftx scene like YMML. But 30fps is a lower limit to be comfortable while flying so I'd like to make sure I can get more before I buy.

Thanks again

Jip van Kuijk

I'll take a screenshot of my settings later today and post them here! :)

And yes it has lower VAS usage because of the dropping of LM textures that were needed for PRE DX10 engines like FSX, or when HDR lightning is turned off in Prepar3D etc.

This saves a considerable amount of VAS especially during DUSK/NIGHT/DAWN.

Jip van Kuijk

These are my settings, don't forget my system could easily run prepar3d with settings higher than this, but we got to keep an eye on Virtual Address Space usage (VAS) because if we go above 4000MB Prepar3D crashes, due to it being limited because it's a 32bit application.

Being able to run everything on max is easy when you stay at an airport and we'll stay within the 4000MB limit, but once you start flying you won't.

When I fly to KJFK from LFPG I set 'Level of details radius:' to 'medium' KJFK is heavy on VAS especially with my addon scenery, Paris is a lot lighter even with my Aerosoft scenery. EGLL by UK2000 guy is also heavy, very heavy! So you'll want that detail radius to medium at best. 

Graphics.jpg

Scenery.jpg

Lighting.jpg

Milan Assuied

Thank you,

Yeah I am experiencing VAS issues too especially at New York (Drewvick ...), since I do not like to reduce scenery details I downgraded REX texture.

Can't wait to get a x64 version of P3D ...

Thanks a lot for all these details, I assume than when you speak of 30fps you are talking about huge sceneries like EGGL and otherwise it is higher, right ?

Jip van Kuijk

x64 is not on the horizon yet, and might never come in the current engine.

30FPS is the minimum I get at EGLL KJFK etc. With heavy weather during Dusk or Dawn. Thats what I have tweaked my settings for.

But you cannot expect Concorde to run with settings higher than mine without running out of VAS. 

Milan Assuied
1 hour ago, jipvk said:

But you cannot expect Concorde to run with settings higher than mine without running out of VAS. 

That's a cold, I run PMDG / Majestic at high settings without vas issues :/ (unless of course if I load the scene which is by itself a problem, like New York City X normal pack, crash with standard aircraft).

Jip van Kuijk

I run PMDG and Majestic and have found the PMDG 777 and Concorde X are the heaviest of all. The PMDG 777 is heavy frame rate and VAS wise, where the Concorde X is primarily VAS heavy. 

Simply said there is only so much that fits in 4000MB this is totally independant of your system.