Repaint with updated Specular and Bump maps, high resolution. Improved VirtualCockpit!

Jip van Kuijk

Jip van Kuijk

UPDATE 4: V3 NOW AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD READ BELOW

F-BVFB and COCKPIT IMPROVEMENTS are now two SEPERATE packages, they can be found at the two URLs BELOW!

COCKPIT

F-BVFB

OLD INFORMATION BELOW:

UPDATE 1: SCROLL DOWN FOR SCREENSHOTS
UPDATE 2: V1 NOW AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD
UPDATE 3: V2 NOW AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD

I've started making a F-BVFB paint skin for Concorde including VirtualCockpit revamp!

I noticed the skins that come with the Concorde 'out of the box' are not that good looking, and they have specular maps that are a little off (sorry to whomever made those...) and some inaccuracies when it comes to how the real air France Concordes looked. (Don't know for the BA birds never seen one in real).

I've updated the night textures, specular maps and alpha layers. Correctly placed anti icing devices (the black patches) and lights. Bump maps with removed bump mapping on text that is painted on the bird like the 'do not step outside this area' I highly doubt the paint would be CM's thick (like it looks with the original skin) and bump mapping that is mirrored on the right wing text where it shouldn't be mirrored of course... Etc. Etc.

Next up will be the cockpit, but I'll need to visit a Concorde and bring my medium format reproduction camera to take images of the inside of the cockpit etc. 

Messages-Image1913576050.jpeg

• Like 4
Jip van Kuijk

Some extra screenshots to give you guys an idea. 

Updated bumpmaps, text on the aircraft is now flat instead of 'bumpy':

DO-NOT-WALK-DO-NOT-STEP-BUMP.jpg

Nose Landing gear with correct last 2 letters of tailnumber:

Nose-Landing-Gear.jpg

Engine intakes and danger flaps with correct colour scheme matching Air France F-BVFB

Engine-intakes.jpg

Here's another pic with the general look and feel of the bird:

front-right-at-gate.jpg

Let me know what you guys think?

p.s. The logo on the nose isn't the correct one yet.

Edited by jipvk
  • Like 1
Jip van Kuijk

Small update to the VC cockpit of F-BVFB:

Air France thought it was time to renovate the cockpit with some new: blinds, flooring, new rudder pedal metal and reupholstered seats.

cockpit-gang-naar-cockpit-3.jpg

cockpit-captains-blind-vanaf-fo.jpg

cockpit-richting-achter.jpg

cockpit-richting-cabin.jpg

concordecockpitgif.gif

• Like 4
Jip van Kuijk

Absolutely Cyril,

This is only V1, V2 is already being made! 

A changelog with future edits will be released later today. 

Thanks for the compliments! 

• Like 1
Guillaume L.

Great work ! :)

A small tip I learned when repainting the whole AF/BA fleet (available on AVSIM) :

Don't use the paintkit to create the wings001.bmp as you'll run into a night texture bug if you use it afterwards to create the wings001_lm.bmp.

This night texture bug is visible here, it's the line which goes across the wing :

bug.jpg

bug2.jpg

What I did as a workaround is to work directly on the wings001.bmp texture file located in the BALANDOR folder (as that file does not create the bug).;)

Guillaume

Jip van Kuijk

CHANGELOG

SINCE V1

EXHANGED SPECULAR MAPS
FIXED AND TWEAKED BUMP MAPS
IMPROVED LM TEXTURES (Night textures, for LEGACY version)
IMPROVED TEXTURES OVERAL IN VIRTUAL COCKPIT
EXCHANGED THE BLINDS TEXTURES
EXCHANGED THE FLOORING TEXTURES (Cockpit and Cabin!)
EXCHANGED THE UPHOLSTERY ON COCKPIT SEATS (To late version Concorde with Airbus style upholstery)
IMPROVED FUSELAGE TEXTURES
TEXTURE UPSCALING FROM 1024 > 2048

SINCE V2

REMOVED MOIRE TEXTURE ON BAG AT THE BACK OF COCKPIT SEATS
MADE NOSE GEAR MORE DIRTY, BETTER METAL TEXTURES.
ADDED ALPHA CHANNEL TO YOKE
EXCHANGED SEATBELT TEXTURES IN COCKPIT
EXCHANGED ALUMINUM TEXTURES CABIN
EXCHANGED RUBBER TEXTURES TIRES (the part that hits the ground)
EXCHANGED WALL TEXTURES COCKPIT NEXT TO JUMP SEAT
EXCHANGED METAL TEXTURES BASE OF SEATS
EXCHANGED GLARESHIELD TEXTURE 
EXCHANGED GLARESHIELD SCREW (thanks for the reminder @Cyril)

Download links can be found in the original post above.

• Like 2

Just fantastic.

At last we have a nice glareshield! The yoke looks more real also.

Jip, you forgot "little screw" in the changelog :lol:

806830fantastic.png

• Like 1
Jip van Kuijk

Flying LEPA to LFPG, you can see Mallorca in the background.

Her you can see some of the changes made in V2

V2-outside-front-left.jpg

V2-cockpit-from-engineer-seat.jpg

V2-cockpit-from-engineer-seat-straight.j

• Like 1
Roberto Rizzo

Lovely repaint, great work such a beauty deserved. Are you going to improve it furthermore?

AFR2202-Roberto

• Like 1
Jip van Kuijk

@Roberto Rizzo Absolutely V3 is on it's way! :)

Here are some screenshots of a few updates in V3:

Updated Cabin seats:

V3-Cabin-naar-achter.jpg

Updated Weather Radar texture (of course it's not working but it sure looks better! 

V3-Weather-Radar.jpg

Looking good although. I assume the seats have been made grey to better reflect air France than British airways. Any chance you will be doing a BA reprint too? 

• Like 1
Jip van Kuijk

Once I feel I can no longer improve anything else on the concorde I will start editing the F-BVFB into G-BOAF for example :) 

Concerning the seats @Johnsonwonson the seats have never been as bright blue as they are by default. However I do believe BA had a dark blue tinge to them. 

Brilliant and yes they are a navy blue. I've had a little go at editing the tail of the ba Union flag to make it more accurate. I'm very new to this however.  

• Like 1
Jonathan Fong

Wow! These textures are REALLY good, especially the VC and cabin improvements! I don't even fly AF, but I may start doing so now thanks to this awesome repaint... Hats off to you!

P/S: Any chance of (eventually) releasing the VC and cabin improvements (basically, all the textures that aren't livery-specific) as a separate modification that you can install into Concorde X for use with all liveries? As far as I know, you can just replace the specific textures in the "FSLabs_BAe-Concorde\texture" folder, which makes the new textures the defaults for all liveries. But of course, you probably already know that, being the awesome painter you are...

Beardyman

"P/S: Any chance of (eventually) releasing the VC and cabin improvements as a separate modification that you can install into Concorde X for use with all liveries?"

+1 for that kind request

• Like 1
Emilios Theodosiou
Jip van Kuijk

I have been thinking about this already yeah! But the Air France type Airbus seats weren't used by British Airways... So I'll have to make two versions there! :D 

I'm still improving next up is make all the text in the cockpit a little more sharp and legible. All the while keeping a very close eye on VAS usage and actually try to lower it! 

I will however also make at least one BA livery in the same quality as I did the F-BVFB. So that way 'both teams' can fly a high quality livery. 

And to keep you guys at bay, here is another screenshot of F-BVFB in flight yesterday from LFPG (Paris) to OBBI (Bahrain)

V3-outisde-5.jpg

• Like 1
Jonathan Fong

That looks absolutely epic... For the hi-quality BA repaint, I'd recommend doing the Chatham Dockyard one (the last one Concorde wore) - it's the most well-known one out of the 3 liveries that the BA Concordes wore. In any case, whichever livery style you choose (although I strongly dislike the Red Tail one in comparison to the other two), I would also suggest making it of a different registration than the 2 provided by FSLabs (G-BOAD and G-BOAF); that way, we have more variety in our aircraft choices (and SELCAL conflicts will be less likely when flying on VATSIM/IVAO).

Jip van Kuijk
2 hours ago, fcisuperguy said:

I would also suggest making it of a different registration than the 2 provided by FSLabs (G-BOAD and G-BOAF); that way, we have more variety in our aircraft choices (and SELCAL conflicts will be less likely when flying on VATSIM/IVAO).

Smart! I'll keep that in mind. Once I'm fine and feel the whole Virtual Cockpit and outside of the F-BVFB is done I will start on a BA aircraft. 

• Like 2
Jonathan Fong

Sounds good! Any chance of a rough ETA on that point of completion and/or a list of things that you want to change? Once again, thanks - this is the first repaint for the Concorde X with such work put into it!

Jip van Kuijk

I'm trying to get the F-BVFB finished (including the virtual cockpit) within the next month, I'm just looking for the right fonts etc for the cockpit text. 

Then I'll upload that here as V3 (or V4 if there will be another intermediate update), and then start on a BA aircraft. 

I've already got more than 71 hours into it.  So donations are really welcome as well (Is it allowed to ask this on here?!)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Jip van Kuijk

I'm back from my trip to Norway, I'll resume editing when I have time! :) 

David Barnett

Hello Jip, WOW looking really good man!

One of the things that has always bugged me for some reason, was the color of the VC panels.   They are gray! Not cobalt blue.

If it's possible to give them the "battleship/Boeing" gray, that would enhance the VC even more realistic to my eyes at least.  :-)

Of course, that may increase the VAS, don't know. You are the expert. :-) Looking forward to the BA livery. 

Would love to make a donation for your hard work. How do I do so?

Best,

David

• Like 1
Jip van Kuijk

Sneak peek into some changes that will be released with Version 3:

New ADI colouring with better real life resemblance, see attachment. The ball band at the top shows the original colour while the ADI sphere itself already has the updated colour. I've left the band above the sphere in the old colour in this screenshot just to show the before and after. 

ADI.PNG

Sneak peek into some changes that will be released with Version 3:

New ADI colouring with better real life resemblance, see attachment. The ball band at the top shows the original colour while the ADI sphere itself already has the updated colour. I've left the band above the sphere in the old colour in this screenshot just to show the before and after. 

• Like 2

Fantastic! I know the chalenge it's been to make this adjustment. Congratulation!!!

Concorde was flown a lot with the pitch index in real life, according to Mike Riley (Concorde Stick And Rudder Book's author) and it WAS nearly impossible before.

Thanks so much Jip

Jip van Kuijk

UPDATE 4: V3 NOW AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD READ BELOW

F-BVFB and COCKPIT IMPROVEMENTS are now two SEPERATE packages, they can be found at the two URLs BELOW!

I recommend first installing "F-BVFB Visual Improvement V3.0" and then "Cockpit Visual Improvement V1.0".

COCKPIT

F-BVFB

• Like 2
Emilios Theodosiou

excellent! Thank you so much:)

• Like 1
Jip van Kuijk

Donations are welcome guys, I've got more than 90 hours into this project thus far. And this project is a work in progress this is only Version 1. But I think even just the ADI colour upgrade will help us fly it better a lot! 

• Like 1