1999 Ba Concorde World Tour

Ray Proudfoot

Ray Proudfoot

British Airways invited 100 of Concorde's best passengers to participate in the 1999 World Tour. How many of you have tried flying this?

I'm going to give it a go and wanted to get as many of the airports for FSX as I could. Here's the airports and where you can obtain them. Most are payware but a couple are freely available on AvSim. There are only two where no alternative to the default is available.

New York FSDreamTeam JFK v2
Vancouver FSDreamTeam Vancouver
Kona FSDreamTeam Hawaiian Airports Vol 2
Nadi NXGN Simulations Nadi
Sydney FlyTampa Sydney
Guam
Avsim Freeware Guam Intl *other files are also required from AvSim.
Bangkok AA Sceneries Suvarnabhumi International
Chennai Default only
Nairobi OrientalSim Nairobi Intl
Aqaba Default only
Venice
Aerosoft Venice
Lisbon Aerosoft Lisbon v2

I'm substituting Honolulu for Kona. Will need to get 4 of them to complete the set.

Magnus Meese

Be careful with the Guam freeware scenery, it's spending available VAS like the Concorde spends fuel at takeoff. I couldn't use it without removing everything but the afcad and some ground files.

Ray Proudfoot

I recall it was quite hungry on VAS but with the extra 350Mb available with v1.3 it should be manageable.

Kyprianos Biris

Yes Guam is unacceptable in VAS consumption and FpS drop.

When released I had contacted the developer and even though we discussed on the subject back and forth he never really removed what he should in the updates so I dumped it and used some alternative simple AFCAD available (in AVSIM or flightsim.com can't remember) which brings it closer to current status.

• 7 months later...

Hi Ray. It is definitely the best available. It's not as optimized in terms of performance as most of the 'modern' sceneries but VAS for me is good. Not sure how much VAS the Concorde uses but I suspect you should be OK. Good luck.

Nick

Ray Proudfoot

Thanks Nick, much appreciated. If I can overfly central London, land at Heathrow Xtended and still have 500Mb+ VAS then I should be fine.

• 6 months later...
Kristoffer Lokke-Sorensen

Brilliant list of scenery @Ray Proudfoot! Saved me a lot of effort! I'm also looking into doing the 1999 tour, after seeing a documentary about it a while back. However - I can't seem to find the NAV-logs of this flight anywhere.. do you happen to know if B.A ever released them?

Ray Proudfoot

Sorry kristolz, I don't. But some here do have access to some BA docs so you may still be lucky. Glad you appreciate the list. :)

Mark Wolpert

I have done the 2 World tours and the Africa tour as well as the Farewell tour.  Some of these a few times.  Quite enjoyable and when I did them there was no CPS so working out the fuel was really fun !  Enjoy the trip Ray.

Ray Proudfoot
19 minutes ago, Mark Wolpert said:

I have done the 2 World tours and the Africa tour as well as the Farewell tour.  Some of these a few times.  Quite enjoyable and when I did them there was no CPS so working out the fuel was really fun !  Enjoy the trip Ray.

I did it 12 months ago Mark. ;)

Fraser Gale

@kristolz if you mean the communication logs like the ones provided by FSLabs for the main routes and charters, they would be very difficult to find. As for BA "releasing" them, it would not happen, the only way would be via a "leak" with a former employee who maybe took copies. However, in 1999 nobody thought Concorde was nearing the end of her life so business carried on as normal and the navigation/communication logs would have been returned to the company in the flight docket. 

Unless someone has taken a crafty copy - and this would have to been operational staff or former crew who probably wouldn't pass them on anyway - I think we have to make do with making our own.  Create a route in a flight planner then make a spreadsheet to look like a communications log and transfer all the data in.

I have it setup so that I can put coordinates in and excel calculates the track and distances between the waypoints so that I don't have to use a planner. It's complicated but it is doable!

Frazz

Kristoffer Lokke-Sorensen

Thank you @Fraser Gale:) I figured as much, since I couldn't find them anywhere. In the documentary, the host talk about changing the routing on several occasions, due to political reasons mostly,  so the planned routing probably differs from the real one they took.

Did the real pilots navigate through known waypoints and airways over water, or did they "improvise", and make up their own, as best suited their needs? As there were (are) not much traffic at FL500 and above, I would think they did what they thought was best?

Fraser Gale

They would use a direct route on a "great circle" track when over water.  This would have waypoints as check-ins via HF radio every 350 - 500 nms and also to use as fuel checks, some of which may already exist as part of track systems, others would just be known by their coordinates.   This would all be planned by professional planners as routes had to be pre-cleared with governments and authorities.  On occasions things did change and the crew would have the ability to re-plan if required but I think a local planner would be involved.  They would have to plan the fuel figures manually using the cruise control manual, although in later years a pocket computer that the crew carried could help with this. The most critical leg is from Kona to Nadi, where on most atmospheric conditions, there is a 10 minute gap in the middle from where you have no diversion within range on 3 engines!  This often happened on the Barbados route also, and as another SEO said to me, "we read our papers during those 10 minutes and didn't dare look at the engine instruments!"  

I have heard an account from a former SEO that when he was on an earlier world tour, they reached Australia without issues but on one of the sectors (I think to Bangkok) they arrived for preflight briefing to discover that the head winds were so bad they could not make it!  The passengers, bags and cargo were put on a jumbo and the crew were given Concorde with maximum fuel in order to do the leg.  They had to re-plan the flight there and then, and as he said "it beats the object of taking folk around the world!"

Frazz

• 8 months later...
Kyprianos Biris
On 4/28/2017 at 3:06 PM, kristolz said:

However - I can't seem to find the NAV-logs of this flight anywhere.. do you happen to know if B.A ever released them?

Not Nav Logs per se but at least the filed flight plans can be found here http://concordefpl.co.uk/

I have no doubt you know about it, I just post it for future readers.

• Like 1