My Concorde X Video Tutorial

Ramón Cutanda

Ramón Cutanda

Thanks so much for your notes Nikola. I will make sure to include you appreciations as soon as I find some time. I warned everyone in my first post that even if I made this tutorial with the best of my intentions and will surely be useful for newbies, it is quite far from perfect :-)

Thanks again for your help to make this tutorial better.

Bests,

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ray Proudfoot

• Ramón Cutanda

• Chris Clarke

• No_Name

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOTA: Hay una versión en español de este tutorial en este enlace: http://simulacionde

The uploading of the first part finished today, Monday 1st of February, at about 15:00z but, for some unknown reason, Youtube is still "proccessing" the video, so it seems there's been some kind of pr

I've watched the first two 'episodes' and I'm enjoying it a lot. I didn't know the purpose of the drain heaters so it's helped my education. Useful tip too about using INS2 in manual mode for s

Ramón Cutanda

Thanks Nikola. I'll subscribe to it. :)

Just a quick note about subscriptions: please, take into account that simulaciondevuelo.com, and its new Youtube channel, are MAINLY aimed at Spanish speakers. I used to post all my videos in my own personal Youtube channel, but starting with the Concorde tutorials, I've decided that finally, the time for a specific Youtube channel has come. That's why, for the time being, that Youtube channel is "empty" and you can only find Concorde videos in there. However, I don't really believe that I will be posting many more videos in English once all the tutorial parts are uploaded. 99% of the future videos of that channel will be in Spanish only, so I don't really think that most of you will be interested in subscribing. However, it is your decision, of course, but please be warned that may be subscribing won't probably fulfill your expectations.

Bests,

Ray Proudfoot

Thanks Ramon. I'll refrain from subscribing as my Spanish is limited to the normal tourist words. :(

Morten Steen

Thanks Ramon, really great work, I'm enjoying your video tutorials very much.<br /><br />As a new Concorde pilot, there are so much info I would have struggled to compile without your help :)

Part6:

You can exit dme update page when you start dme update. It will continue until dme signal is lost, and then it will revert to triple mix mode, or single dme update mode (if dual update was used) automatically.

Btw, it doesn't hurt to start DME update as soon as workload permits after take off.

Btw2, you can enter altitude of dme station if you right click on 3 and 9 buttons while in dme page (7-9), but I doubt it affects anything.

FE should monitor ramp and spill gauges when he retard throttles for deceleration, but in simulator they always work correctly. I believe intake pressure ratio error gauges doesn't work at all - never saw them moving.

Ramón Cutanda

Part 8 uploaded so... the upload is complete and all 8 parts are available now :-)

If you have some time, I would appreciate you would answer a couple of questions about the tutorial. It is completely optional, but I just feel curious about a couple of things. Thanks for your time.

Bests,

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10AFRT9gIW6uRNa6EQedA67FKdl3UHNt1LXwkeOzq1sA/viewform

Part7:

When you load waypoint from your electronic flight bag software to INS keep in mind that your software gives you coordinates in DDMMSS format, while INS in Concorde requires DDMM.M format, so you cannot just copy/paste the numbers. You need to convert it first.

It's a good idea to update ASI bugs because at final you were like 6.5 tons lighter than at top of descend.

Part8:

You need to wait for wheels to be firmly on ground before applying full reverse.

At gate you can perform INS error check to see how much error the INS units generated during flight. Just for fun. :)

Ok, it's complete. It's excellent tutorial.

Edit: While you are not native English speaker, I find you listenable which I cannot say for some native speakers. I'm not native English speaker too.

Edited by Nikola16789
Konstantin

I have watched all eight parts of your tutorial, and I must say that this is the most detailed and comprehensive video tutorial that I have ever seen about a Concorde in the flight simulator. Well done! I would even say that some parts were almost too detailed (leaving the viewer overwhelmed with information) - but that's still better than leaving important steps out. I would have appreciated if you looked out of the window during supersonic cruise to show the splendor of flying at the ende of space, but again, this was an informative video and not primarily geared towards eye-candy. And don't worry about your English. Although I am not a native speaker either, I have spent a considerable amount of time in the US, and even with that it's hard to completely get rid of one's accent. Your grammar and word choice are very good, though. And if you worry about your accent, know one thing: It is said that speaking with an accent makes you sound more intelligent and appear more sexy... :)

• Like 1
Adam Turley

It is said that speaking with an accent makes you sound more intelligent and appear more sexy... :)

Steady on mate. Ramon, you've got one fan at least.... Most of us are only here for the aeroplanes.

Well done tutorial though.

• Like 1
Chris Clarke

Thanks so much for these videos. I'm at work watching them ready for my first flight tomorrow. Is there anywhere I can get a copy of your PDF tutorial with the yellow parts highlighted? That'd make following it a lot easier... Thanks for everything.

Ray Proudfoot

I've watched the first two 'episodes' and I'm enjoying it a lot. I didn't know the purpose of the drain heaters so it's helped my education. :)

Useful tip too about using INS2 in manual mode for seeing the distance and time to a selected waypoint. :)

Your accent is easy to listen to Ramon and your English is excellent. When are those Oscars? :D

• Like 3
Steve Prowse

Thanks so much for these videos. I'm at work watching them ready for my first flight tomorrow. Is there anywhere I can get a copy of your PDF tutorial with the yellow parts highlighted? That'd make following it a lot easier... Thanks for everything.

Hi Chris,

Some years ago Ramon made an excellent checklist: http://ramoncutanda.com/alz/concorde/FSLabs_Concorde_Checklist.pdf

I've used this till now it's excellent like all of Ramon's contributions to us are! I'm sure new/not so new Concorde pilots will find this very useful. I hope all went well with the first flight.

Morten Steen

Excellent, thanks Steve!

I'm in video #5 now, and I am confused about the use of the A/P modes Pitch Hold and VS.

1. Is the pitch angle bug in the HSI linked to the A/P or only a visual reference? Can I select pitch hold and use the pitch bug to control the FD / AP?

2. Ramon is pointing to the V/S indicator and operating the "datum" switch while talking about pitch hold.

Are the two modes linked in a way I don't understand, or are they separate?

Cheers,

Martin Tornberg

Hi Morten,

I think you're referring to the Attitude Indicator and not the HSI, right? If you have FD enabled you can look at it on the Attitude Indicator when using the pitch hold mode on the A/P. If you're adjusting with the pitch datum it will change only the pitch, nothing to do with vertical speed.

If you have a constant pitch that will give you a certain amount of vertical speed dependent of airspeed. If you increase airspeed with thrust but same pitch all the time the vertical speed will increase.

If you want to set a constant vertical speed instead of constant pitch you want to look at the VSI (vertical speed indicator). The orange bug on the left side of the numbers is the selected V/S that you have adjusted with the pitch datum. The autopilot will pitch up and down in order to match the selected vertical speed. At this point it's not so interesting to look at the attitude (since that will change based on airspeed in order to maintain a constand vertical speed) really but the VSI.

Hope that make some sort of sense... :ph34r:

Morten Steen

Thanks Martin, it makes perfect sense, I meant the AI, yes :)

I was abit confused when Ramon was talking about pitch hold while adjusting the pitch datum, I might have misunderstud what he meant.

It was the terminology that got me. The pitch datum switch changes the VS bug, but has nothing to do with the pitch hold mode.

Secondly, if I am on AP with pitch hold active, and then adjust the pitch indicator on the AI, will I control the AP with the pitch bug, or is it just a visual reference?

Cheers,

Adam Turley

Thanks Martin, it makes perfect sense, I meant the AI, yes :)

I was abit confused when Ramon was talking about pitch hold while adjusting the pitch datum, I might have misunderstud what he meant.

It was the terminology that got me. The pitch datum switch changes the VS bug, but has nothing to do with the pitch hold mode.

Secondly, if I am on AP with pitch hold active, and then adjust the pitch indicator on the AI, will I control the AP with the pitch bug, or is it just a visual reference?

Cheers,

The pitch datum switch on the centre pedestal has multiple functions depending on the A/P pitch mode selected. It works with 3 modes: 'Pitch Hold', 'Vertical Speed' and 'IAS Hold'.

When engaged 'Pitch hold' will hold the current pitch attitude. The datum switch will command a pitch up or down from this attitude.

When 'Vertical speed' is selected the datum switch will command increase or decrease in V/S. The grey bug on the left side of the VSI is the commanded V/S - watch this as you use the datum switch. It is good practice to have an auto throttle engaged in IAS Acquire when using V/S mode, to avoid under or overspeed situations.

'IAS Hold' will command the A/P to hold the current airspeed by controlling of pitch attitude. This mode can't be used with autothrottle since the two modes are mutually exclusive. The A/T will trip out when engaging this mode. You can change the rate of climb / decent using manual thrust changes. The datum switch should work with this mode as well, by command a increase/decrease in the airspeed 'datum' the pitch tries to hold. However I find it's slow to react and it's hard to figure out the speed you're commanding using the datum switch this way.

Note the the datum switch has 2 positions 'fast' and 'slow'. Use left and right mouse clicks to differentiate.

The white pitch indicator on the ADI is purely a manually adjusted reference bug. It's not connected to the A/P or flight director in any way. Precise attitude on Concorde was quite critical in many stages of flight and it's useful to have a good reference. In real life it's controlled by a thumb switch on the yoke.

Chris Clarke

Has anyone managed to get the Heathrow to JFK Tutorial flight loaded into Aivlasoft EFB? It'd be nice to have it running. I tried typing in the waypoints from the flightplan but it puts UPGAS somewhere out in the North Sea and the 67 W and SM 30 W type waypoints just aren't recognised... Can anyone help?

Ray Proudfoot

Chris,

Paste this into Notepad and save it as a PLN file. UPGAS has been replaced by KESUP but in all other respects it's the same as the tutorial.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="1,0">
<Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>
<FlightPlan.FlightPlan>
<Title>EGLL to KJFK</Title>
<FPType>IFR</FPType>
<RouteType>HighAlt</RouteType>
<CruisingAlt>60000</CruisingAlt>
<DepartureID>EGLL</DepartureID>
<DepartureLLA>N51° 28' 39.00",W000° 27' 41.00",83</DepartureLLA>
<DestinationID>KJFK</DestinationID>
<DestinationLLA>N40° 38' 23.72",W073° 46' 43.29",13</DestinationLLA>
<Descr>EGLL to KJFK created by Professional Flight Planner X (http://www.flightsimsoft.com/pfpx)</Descr>
<DeparturePosition>27L</DeparturePosition>
<DepartureName>HEATHROW</DepartureName>
<DestinationName>KENNEDY INTL</DestinationName>
<AppVersion>
<AppVersionMajor>10</AppVersionMajor>
<AppVersionBuild>61472</AppVersionBuild>
</AppVersion>
<ATCWaypoint id="EGLL">
<ATCWaypointType>Airport</ATCWaypointType>
<WorldPosition>N51° 27' 53.83",W000° 26' 02.68",+000083.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>EGLL</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="WOD">
<ATCWaypointType>NDB</ATCWaypointType>
<WorldPosition>N51° 27' 10.01",W000° 52' 43.67",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAORegion>EG</ICAORegion>
<ICAOIdent>WOD</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="CPT">
<ATCWaypointType>VOR</ATCWaypointType>
<WorldPosition>N51° 29' 29.66",W001° 13' 10.89",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>CPT</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="MALBY">
<ATCWaypointType>Intersection</ATCWaypointType>
<WorldPosition>N51° 35' 32.99",W002° 03' 42.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>MALBY</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="KESUP">
<WorldPosition>N51° 19' 32.00",W003° 39' 16.99",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>KESUP</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="MERLY">
<WorldPosition>N51° 19' 59.99",W005° 00' 00.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>MERLY</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="LESLU">
<WorldPosition>N51° 00' 00.00",W008° 00' 00.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>LESLU</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="51N015W">
<WorldPosition>N50° 41' 00.00",W015° 00' 00.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>51N015W</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="51N020W">
<WorldPosition>N50° 49' 59.99",W020° 00' 00.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>51N020W</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="51N030W">
<WorldPosition>N50° 30' 00.00",W030° 00' 00.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>51N030W</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="49N040W">
<WorldPosition>N49° 15' 59.99",W040° 00' 00.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>49N040W</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="47N050W">
<WorldPosition>N47° 02' 59.99",W050° 00' 00.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>47N050W</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="46N053W">
<WorldPosition>N46° 10' 00.00",W053° 00' 00.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>46N053W</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="44N060W">
<WorldPosition>N44° 14' 00.00",W060° 00' 00.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>44N060W</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="43N065W">
<WorldPosition>N42° 45' 59.99",W065° 00' 00.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>43N065W</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="4267N">
<WorldPosition>N42° 00' 00.00",W067° 00' 00.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>4267N</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="KENDA">
<WorldPosition>N39° 21' 10.69",W070° 29' 58.02",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAORegion>K6</ICAORegion>
<ICAOIdent>KENDA</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="LINND">
<WorldPosition>N39° 24' 35.13",W071° 42' 37.75",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>LINND</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="3972W">
<WorldPosition>N39° 19' 59.99",W072° 00' 00.00",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>39N072W</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="OWENZ">
<WorldPosition>N39° 49' 24.08",W072° 49' 49.90",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>OWENZ</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="CAMRN">
<WorldPosition>N40° 01' 02.29",W073° 51' 39.81",+000000.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>CAMRN</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
<ATCWaypoint id="KJFK">
<ATCWaypointType>Airport</ATCWaypointType>
<WorldPosition>N40° 38' 42.60",W073° 45' 44.85",+000013.00</WorldPosition>
<ICAO>
<ICAOIdent>KJFK</ICAOIdent>
</ICAO>
</ATCWaypoint>
</FlightPlan.FlightPlan>
</SimBase.Document>

• Like 1
Chris Clarke

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the help so far. I'm guessing that's one you've exported from PFPX? I've copied it into Notepad on Windows 10 and saved it with the file extension .pln but when I browse to the location with EFB it won't see it. The Icon is still a notepad rather than a blank page like my other .pln files. I use PFPX and EFB a lot with my NGX etc but this has got me foxed...

Ray Proudfoot

Chris,

EFB can definitely read PLN files. P39 of the EFB manual describes how to Load a Saved Route. Three options and the middle is Microsoft Flight Simulator (*.PLN).

Name shouldn't matter but I'd suggest EGLLKJFK.PLN.

Chris Clarke

Chris,

EFB can definitely read PLN files. P39 of the EFB manual describes how to Load a Saved Route. Three options and the middle is Microsoft Flight Simulator (*.PLN).

Name shouldn't matter but I'd suggest EGLLKJFK.PLN.

Hi Ray,

My EFB is showing all of my other .pln files that I've generated with PFPX when I try and open it. Just not the Notepad file I've made with your XML code. WHen I go to save the file in Notepad it says it's saving it as (Filename) EGLLKJFK.pln and then just underneath that it says Save As Filetype - Text Documents. There's no option to save it as a PLN filetype. So I'm guessing the actual file name and extension is EGLLKJFK.pln.txt

Any Ideas?

Thanks for trying, Chris.

Ray Proudfoot

Chris,

Locate the file using Explorer and change the file extension from txt to pln. You may need to enable "show file extensions" if it's not turned on. I don't have W10 do can't give specific instructions.

The only reason EFB can't see it is because the extension is wrong.

Chris Clarke

Chris,

Locate the file using Explorer and change the file extension from txt to pln. You may need to enable "show file extensions" if it's not turned on. I don't have W10 do can't give specific instructions.

The only reason EFB can't see it is because the extension is wrong.

That's got it! I had to Google how to show File Extensions in Windows 10. I'm mainly a Mac user so I didn't know that one. Windows exists in this house for P3D only really.

I'm following my flight on EFB as I write this.

Thanks so much Ray.

Chris

Chris Clarke

Glad you're sorted Chris. Enjoy the flight. :)

Just out of interest, can I ask how you went about creating that XML please? It'd be good to have one for all of the flights plans available with the Concorde X. For example the return JFK to London and the Barbados flights etc...

Ray Proudfoot

Chris,

I created them in PFPX from the plans supplied by FS Labs. Then exported by PFPX. That's how they get that formatting.

I'll see if I can create them for the Barbados and JFK routes and upload to the forum. Give me a day or two.

Chris Clarke

Chris,

I created them in PFPX from the plans supplied by FS Labs. Then exported by PFPX. That's how they get that formatting.

I'll see if I can create them for the Barbados and JFK routes and upload to the forum. Give me a day or two.

Thanks, I'll have a go at doing my own and see if they match yours...

Thanks for your help today, I really appreciate it.

Chris Clarke

You're welcome. Did you land okay?

Yeah I did thanks. Only just made it to 3000 feet for the ILS but it was pretty smooth. I'd say that the last part of the descent and landing are the bits that are closest to what I'm used to with the 737NGX and 777.

Ray Proudfoot

That's the easy bit down to 3000ft. :) Did you make 14000ft at OWENZ?

Incidentally, I decided to create flight plans for all the routes supplied in the documentation. No point doing something half-baked. On a day like this what else is there to do? :blink:

So you'll also have Bahrain, Singapore, Boston etc etc. Another couple of days to put them all together.

Chris Clarke

That's the easy bit down to 3000ft. :) Did you make 14000ft at OWENZ?

Incidentally, I decided to create flight plans for all the routes supplied in the documentation. No point doing something half-baked. On a day like this what else is there to do? :blink:

So you'll also have Bahrain, Singapore, Boston etc etc. Another couple of days to put them all together.

I did make 14000 at OWENZ yeah. I just didn't start going to 3000 from 6000 early enough. I hit 3000 exactly on the point of ILS Intercept. Pretty close!

Thanks for the flight plan stuff, a good friend of mine that I work with out here in the Gulf came over and we had a go at the first flight together. It was great fun. Turns out he knows a guy called Smiffy who was involved with the testing of the Concorde X. It's a small world...

Has anyone managed to get the Heathrow to JFK Tutorial flight loaded into Aivlasoft EFB? It'd be nice to have it running. I tried typing in the waypoints from the flightplan but it puts UPGAS somewhere out in the North Sea and the 67 W and SM 30 W type waypoints just aren't recognised... Can anyone help?

Hello. Sorry to but in, but what does EFB do? Is it kinda like a 'moving map' software? Thanks!

Ray Proudfoot

You did well. That descent profile to OWENZ was one of my main interests. You don't think you're going to make it until you go sub-sonic and then that descent rate really kicks in. Luverly jubberly!

I'm through most of the plan. Hard work when the waypoints in the plans no longer exist. I'll start on Air France tomorrow.

Jonathan Fong

There are also some 'modernized' flight plans (text format; not .pln format, although that is possible) in the "Concorde Routes in Current AIRACs" thread that basically replace obsolete waypoints such as UPGAS and BARIX with modern ones like KESUP and LULOX. The flight plans (which I help make) try to stay as close as possible to the original ones, including the old SM/SN/SO tracks.

Chris Clarke

You did well. That descent profile to OWENZ was one of my main interests. You don't think you're going to make it until you go sub-sonic and then that descent rate really kicks in. Luverly jubberly!

I'm through most of the plan. Hard work when the waypoints in the plans no longer exist. I'll start on Air France tomorrow.

There's a thread in the Stickies section of these forums that has something about replacing the old waypoints with new ones. Would that be of any use?

Chris Clarke

Hello. Sorry to but in, but what does EFB do? Is it kinda like a 'moving map' software? Thanks!

Yeah, it's called Aivlasoft EFB. It's fantastic, you can preview what SIDS and STARS are available and it follows your flight in real time. It shows location of AI Traffic too, amongst lots of other things. I highly recommend it.

Morten Steen

Yes, amongst many other useful functiones for a one man flight crew:

- Radio tuning by mouseclick

- Online traffic visualisation

- PDF archiver / checklists

- Ground map with taxi-help

Take a look here: http://www.aivlasoft.com/73.html

You should run it on a networked laptop, that way you're not cluttering up your FS screen.

Cheers,

Ray Proudfoot

There's a thread in the Stickies section of these forums that has something about replacing the old waypoints with new ones. Would that be of any use?

Maybe but you'd need to change the info in the CIVA files too. I've stuck to the waypoints in the CIVA plans so you get a perfect match. And there's something inherently sad about getting rid of UPGAS. It's now located in the North Sea but for the purists it will always be south of Swansea.

I'll have a read of it though.

Kyprianos Biris

The thread you are referring to is mostly for users flying on line (VATSIM/IVAO) where having obsolete from current AIRAC's waypoints may confuse on line ATC who see you on radars that decode flight plans in current AIRACs.

The Change of a CIVA INS ADEU Data Card is dead simple my just going in the CIVA folder copying it, changing its name and editing it with NOTEPAD to just replace data to current one and saving it.

The Coordinates to replace can be found by any flight planning tool which generates flight plans from route text input.

Users flying exclusively off line with AI ATC don't need to worry since AI will never ask them about non current waypoints. AI has no brain :)

Jonathan Fong

Yep. If you want to give ATC a bit of an easier time when decoding your flight plan, then using the flight plans in that thread is best; however, if you either fly offline w/o ATC or if you simply want to use the original flight plans (which ATC still accepts most of the time on VATSIM), you can just use the original FPs.