Fsx-Se

Dwayne_Bates

Hi All,

Hope you are all well :),

I just wanted to ask a question about Steam Edition for FSX, I have been doing a lot of research on FSX-SE and have seen some positive reviews.

But is there really any much difference in performance? I know Dovetail have been releasing updates which is great, but are people looking more towards P3D or Maybe FSX-SE with Dovetail which looks promises.

I also watch Dovetail live stream on Twitch now and then and they talking about making a new Flight Sim, but I could just be hearing them wrong.

Thanks for you're time.

Dan

Peter Cockman

I use FSX SE now and for me it runs smoother and certainly no 'out of memory errors'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use FSX SE now and for me it runs smoother and certainly no 'out of memory errors'.

Hi Harrier77

So that is promises with no out of memory errors. In terms of performance, how well would you say it runs?

To be honest FSX runs fine on my PC, as well as P3D. But I have been watching some of Dovetails streams and it can be quite interesting and plus I watch just to get more of an insight about FSX-SE.

Dan

Peter Cockman

Hi Dan,

Mine is not a scientific assessment, just what I see. There are some good YouTube videos showing comparisons (FSX side by side with FSX SE) which might interest you.

I will not be going back to FSX. Also with add ons like this one on the horizon I think the future is bright for FSX SE.

Pete

Dan,

P3D and FSX / FSX SE have been designed with very different purposes in mind which is reflected in their respective licence agreements in what you the end user is, or is not allowed to use the software for. Its also shown in the variation of pricing, the same add-on for FSX costing 1.5x or more that price for use in P3D.

I personally wouldn't say that P3D is a direct replacement for FSX - yes they share similarities with P3D originating out of the Microsoft ESP platform but it's becoming clear that the two are becoming further apart.

My understanding is that FSX SE has indeed had some bugs fixed and been recompiled using more up to date redists; there are details on the web that DTG have provided about the updates they have made. As I see someone has mentioned Out of Memory Errors - its entirely possible in FSX SE to get them if you don't know how to set your sim up and expect too much of it. From an entertainment side FSX SE is for me the preferred platform to use - however if your looking to educate yourself or looking into the commercial side of simulation then P3D may be a better option.

The point that will be of great interest will be when Dovetail announce more details on the flight sim they are developing. For now its a little cloudy and its impossible to recommend one platform or the other purely as everyone's needs and expectations are different.

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 1

As above, FSX:SE is no guarantee of getting no OOM errors, this is completely down to your setup. I use SE with no issues though.

As above, FSX:SE is no guarantee of getting no OOM errors, this is completely down to your setup. I use SE with no issues though.

Likewise with FSX, some people can get through FSX with no OOM. I'm likely to get FSX-SE add to my collection of FSX & P3D.

Dan

• 2 months later...
smokeyupahead

I just started using fsxse.

I bought it because I like the in-game web browser, so now I can view charts without exiting full screen.

Performance wise I see no increase in frames so far but I do find it very stable.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Jonathan Fong

Unfortunately, Concorde X requires the disabling of the Steam overlay, meaning that the in-game web browser won't work. Otherwise, however, I find that FSX-SE gives me a moderate (5-15) fps increase depending on the scenario (fps increases compared to FSX in more computer-intensive scenarios), as well as having much better VAS management (depending on the plane, I usually end up with 1-1.5GB of VAS remaining after each flight).

• Like 1