Real World A380 Climrate

dodiman

Hi !

I have one question regarding the A380 Climb Rate after takeoff. I've noticed on youtube videos, that the A380 has a low pitch and climb-rate after takeoff, similar to the one of the a340.

Is that because the power is low when fully loaded and derated thrust?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Hi!

From what I have heard so far, the A380 is rather too powerfull..

But climb rate depends on many things such as the wind. If you have strong tailwaing for example, your aircraft will climb at a higher rate. Having strong headwind, you will climb much slower.

Philippe Gleize

The 380 has just one of the best airfoil design... Low pitch implies a low AOA for a given slope, and so a low induced drag.

Lawrence Ashworth

Hi !

I have one question regarding the A380 Climb Rate after takeoff. I've noticed on youtube videos, that the A380 has a low pitch and climb-rate after takeoff, similar to the one of the a340.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Airbus aircraft come with the general philosophy that using all of the runway with as little thrust as is safely possible is better than using half of the runway with more thrust than necessary. The A380 is the same and rather than being assumed to be underpowered/overpowered, it is simply related to how it is operated. The A340 was not necessarily underpowered but rather it was just operated in a way that meant it was more economical to be operated in the way it was. A low pitch and climb rate may indicate that the aircraft is heavy indeed but it may also indicate the aircraft is light and the engines are being spared, this is often seen in and out of airports which have stringent noise requirements which in the EU is all of them.

Hi !

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Perhaps this can give you a general idea:

http://contentzone.eurocontrol.int/aircraftperformance/details.aspx?cgn=&cg=&ICAO=A388&GroupFilter=12&NameFilter=&ICAOFilter=A388