Radar Contact 5 Status

Calum Martin

JD has posted on Avsim Radar Contact 5's status.

Four years ago this month, my life changed, in ways I still find hard to put into words. For most of the last 20 years my wife has suffered a debilitating disease which robbed me of the woman I married 30 years ago and the mother of our wonderful daughter. During those 2 decades, I spent the day taking care of my wife, and raising my daughter, and working at BellSouth. In the other hours, I teamed up with my partner Doug, and a handful of dedicated beta testers, and managed to create something special, Radar Contact. In many respects, I think RC kept me sane and focused on the things that were important.

During those years, through sheer determination and perseverance, helped by science, technology, pharmaceuticals, and a pair of wonderful doctors - my wife emerged from those decades of fog. Once again I saw glint her in her eye, I heard the laugh that I had longed to hear, and I was reunited with my wife, my partner, my soul mate.

At the same time, my daughter had taken a giant leap. She was no longer the rambunctious little kid, but was now a mature young woman preparing to go off to college.

While these events were going on in my personal life, I turned my attention to Radar Contact on numerous occasions. Each time, I found myself seduced by the people, the emotions, the companionship, the adventures that I had missed for so long.

I know this will be a great disappointment to many of you, and I share your disappointment. I’m blessed by the countless friendships that would have never been possible without Radar Contact. I know many users that have gone on to become licensed pilots, some who have their commercial licenses. I think sometimes, in some small way, maybe RC helped them to achieve what I only dreamed of. I will never be able to express my gratitude and appreciation to all of you.

There is one thing I've learned over the last 20 years, never say never. My life is proof that things change when you least expect them, and it would be silly to say there will never be a version 5. But for the near term, I'm selfishly going to do the things that bring me joy, and make me laugh, and make me smile, and make me feel good all over. I'm going to live life to the fullest, with my wife, my daughter, my family.

So I hope in the end, you will not be disappointed, but you will be happy. Happy for me, my wife and my daughter. I hope you can agree, that putting Version 5 on the shelf for now, is the right decision at this time, and it’s for the right reasons. Remember, never say never.

If you are interested in photography like I am, you can see what's new at my
page.

JD

I’m where John is. The only difference being I got there more quickly.

JDTLLC was born in 1997 and went to work on RCv1. John, myself and our beta testers stayed full bore through RCv3. By the end of v3 I was feeling the unhealthy affects of the 14-18hr/day ATC life I was leading. Off we went into today’s RCv4.

By that end, everything around me and about me was suffering, including my mental state. And this is where my guilt begins… John and the beta testers began RCv5 development; I could not participate. I regret this deeply still, but that temporary sabbatical has changed my life for the better and forever. It was necessary for sanity. And that’s my sincere hope for John. I’m thrilled for him that his wife is back and his daughter has become a strong woman. Many prayers have been answered. For my dearest friend John and his family, this has been long overdue!

I’ve watched this brilliant man go through very tough times in his personal life. I’ll never forget John’s commitment to his family and dedication to JDTLLC, even in the worst of times. And John had some ‘worst of times’. I love John Dekker. He deserves the best and if his life has changed where he’s smiling and excited about his tomorrows… I support him in whatever he needs.

Never say never. JDTLLC is not going out of business.

Doug

And to answer some of the questions that I’m sure will come up:

• We will continue to generate keys, preferably by the automated key generator and email, but we will continue to do them manually for those who forget how

• We will continue to support RC in the same way we have supported it from day 1, we will answer any and all questions, we will refer users to the download links, and updated versions of FSUIPC and makerwys.exe, and when necessary, analyze logs and other information to determine the issue that the user is having

• The only thing that has changed, is that version 5 is on the shelve. If and when work is ever started on it again, we will let you know.

• We are taking this step for all the right reasons, because our lives have changed in positive and loving ways. There is nothing negative that should be read into this.

jd

I wish JD all the best!