Having Out Of Memory Errors (Oom)? Try This

Ramón Cutanda

Ramón Cutanda

Updated: 27th February 2016 -  Should anyone have any suggestion I will be most pleased to update and improve the text. Just leave a reply to this post.

FSX is and will always be a 32 bits application. At the time of writing this post (september 2016) P3D (latest version 3.3) is also a 32 bits application.That means they can only handle 4 Gbytes of your installed RAM. No matter how much RAM you've got on your system. Even if you have 128 GB of RAM a 32 bit application such as FSX or P3D can only make use of up to 4 GB of RAM. Concorde-X is probably the most demanding plane on the market regarding memory use, but I don't think you'll ever have a problem if you fly Concorde-X using default sceneries and reasonable settings. However, you'll very likely get OOM errors (Out of Memory) when using extreme settings and/or other memory demanding addons, such as complex sceneries like Aerosoft Heatrow (specially if combined with London VFR or specially UK2000 sceneries), Aerosoft Mahhattan (specially if combined with FSDream Team KJFK), Paris Charles de Gaulle (LFPG) or FlyTampa Dubai, just to name a few.

Because there's no way to increase the amount of memory that FSX/P3D can use, which will always be limited to 4GB, the only solution to avoid OOM errors is to lower the memory demands. As far as I have been able to check, these are the items to take care of when experiencing OOM errors:

Number of objects:

Scenery objects:  Each tree, building, ground assistant and vehicles, post and signs... Every single object needs a space in memory. Reducing autogen or the scenery detail will be of a great help to reduce memory use and has usually solved all my OOM errors.

Traffic: Each vehicle is also an object. So using road and airport traffic, boats, etc, will also increase the memory use. It is also important to bear in mind that AI traffic addons, such as My Traffic X, ICE or SKY can introduce a great number of planes (objects) and textures (described next) which will noticeably increase the memory requirements.

Airports: FSX/P3D will load airports even if you overfly them at 60.000ft and don't use them to land or even look at them. That means a complete waste of memory by loading a whole lot of unnecessary objects. In the Scenery Library it would be wise to only tick departure and destination airports unchecking all the rest addon sceneries to make sure that we are only loading default sceneries along our route. The free tool Scenery Config Editor is very valuable to easily activate and deactivate sceneries as necessary: http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/

Textures:

Varied textures: FSX and P3D come with a limited set of textures, so it is very common so see "repeated" the very same tile of land over and over again, specially over water, desserts, etc. Addons such as FTX Global solve this problem providing a much wider range of textures that help increasing the realism of our ground environment. However, using a wider range of textures means an important increase in our memory use. Most of our flights with Concorde will take place at supersonic speeds over the water. Water textures are usually very monotonous, so most of the times the range of textures won't be a problem for us in those kind of flights, but that is a factor to be taken into account if making a continental flight over land where we will load a wider range of different textures.

Photo sceneries: For the reasons explained in the previous section, photo sceneries are a real memory killer, the reason being that no two texture tiles are the same. Even if you are not using a 100% photo scenery please take into account that some developers include a certain area of photo realistic textures around the airport.

HD Textures: We all love HD textures... but they are also a memory killer. HD textures are great for the cockpit, but I would strongly recommend not to use HD textures for clouds. I personally don't find that much of a visual difference and, in return, I find a much better performance, specially in storms, and a greater margin to avoid OOM errors.

Level of detail:

The lod_radius setting in the [TERRAIN] section of the fsx.cfg or prepar3d.cfg files defines the distance from our current position at which the simulator will start loading textures and objects. At least in theory, that will help to reduce blurry textures in the distance or airports suddenly popping up from nothing on our approach because the textures and objects, airport in this case, will be loading long before we arrive.

However, and as described in previous sections, having a lot of objects in a scenery can cause OOM. Having varied and HD textures can also cause OOM. Increasing both of them is certainly not a good idea.

The default lod_radius setting for both FSX and P3D is 4.5. Extreme caution should be taken when Increasing that value and flying Concorde, as an OOM error is almost guaranteed.

Toggle from windowed mode to full-screen mode

On 18/9/2016 at 0:54 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

One tip given to me that will reclaim up to 250Mb of VAS is to toggle from windowed mode to full-screen mode or vice-versa. I always do that and it makes a real difference. On a recent flight from Mega Airport Oslo Gardermoen to Heathrow Xtended I flew right over central London. VAS dropped down to around 300Mb but toggling screen mode brought it back to nearly 600Mb and the flight was completed without running out of memory. That's a pretty severe test.

Monitoring VAS Usage

Using FSUIPC

Source: http://www.avsim.com/topic/431663-vas-fsuipc-and-fsx/

• FSX Menu bar | Add-ons | FSUIPC ...
  • Select the Logging tab
  • Enter an Offset of 024C (that's a zero)
  • Enter a Type of S32 from the drop down box
  • DO NOT check the Hex checkbox
  • Press OK

https://s10.postimg.io/rgopotmd5/VAS_FSUIPC.jpg

projectFLY Pilot Tools

http://pawkbun.co.uk/

http://puu.sh/iFaFF/8835fc2588.png

Microsoft tool TN Process Explorer

http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx

Hope this info helps.

Bests,

PS: This is what Andrew Wilson, one of the developers, says about this OOM errors in one of the replies to this post:

On 11/4/2013 at 10:06 AM, Andrew Wilson said:

There is no room to improve the memory management inside Concorde-X. The product was designed with the minimal memory footprint possible. It is the memory management inside FSX that is flawed - as discussed several times here before the program doesn't release memory, so allocation of memory simply accumulates over time. That is, until we hit the buffers imposed by restrictions that apply to any 32bit Windows program - then FSX simply dies.

The problem, really - is that the FSX platform is over six years old. We're now trying to expand a platform that simply cannot be expanded beyond the 32bit infrastructure it was built upon. Because Concorde has so many instrument panels, the memory footprint of Concorde-X is higher than other titles - but there really isn't anything more we can do to minimize this for FSX.

One thing to keep in mind - with FSX scenery settings throttled, you're still getting better graphics than any Concorde pilot was accustomed to when they flew either of the two Concorde training simulators.

2 hours ago, twharrell said:

Just wanted to add some other helpful tips that "might" help save some VAS:

1) I read in another forum to put all unused default and 3rd party aircraft in a separate folder (name it 'Hangar'). I tried it and may have seen a little gain, but I don't know why this would affect VAS.

2) The lates NVidia drivers (378.XX) have been reported to cause VAS leaks. I just reverted back to driver 376.33 and just gained 100-200 MB VAS. Crazy. This is a moving target, though, because it doesn't appear to be a consistent issue among computer systems and you never know when updating a driver might cause issues. However, this is something to explore, especially if you had no prior VAS issues.

3) Optimize 3rd party addons - there is a great lengthy thread stickied in the P3D tips and tricks section on AVSIM. This doesn't appear to be as much an issue as it used to be, though. Taxi2Gate and older FSDT sceneries are big ones to check out, but check all of them. You really don't need textures greater than 2048 px (one could even argue you really don't need anything over 1024 px, as the difference is really not that huge). 

Todd

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morten Steen

• Bryn

• Kyprianos Biris

• Lefteris Kalamaras

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Ramon, I had a read of your updated post but wasn't sure what had been changed. Maybe changing the text to red might help?

I have not just added some more extra info but making a full review of the text instead. The main concepts are basically the same, but I have tried to be more organized and precise. Everyt

Just wanted to add some other helpful tips that "might" help save some VAS: 1) I read in another forum to put all unused default and 3rd party

Posted Images

Charan Kumar

I was always curious about the last one, especially with GSX. I remember that when you set Airport LOD lower, first the airport vehicles vanish, then the gates...with GSX, does this change? I haven't tried it, so I was just wondering. I hate to pull up at an airport which has a blank building or no buildings and no gates, except taxi ways to the end of the side of a building -_-

Hi,

Yesterday, LFPG --> KJFK with the Concorde. No specific scenery on USA. Arrived at the US coast : Error message : Out of memory.

My spec : I7 2700K / 16 Go RAM / ATI Radeon HD6870 1 Go / Windows 7 64 / FSX Accel / Windowed mode / Gex Europe & FSGlobal 2010 & AS2012 / Concorde X SP2.

Indeed, I had the autogen's sliders to very dense : But, starting with a FSX taking about 1.8 Go RAM and finished with a crash at 4 Go RAM, is not normal.

Especially, on the default Canadian coats which are all white ... A desert !

So, my question : There are some memory leaks in the C++ programming Concorde X DLLs ?

Lefteris Kalamaras

JardY,

no. But there are some memory leaks in the C++ programming of FSX. Specifically when you switch views and go from window mode to full screen and back, etc.

I also invite you to google how video memory is handled and specifically about memory fragmentation when it comes to texture handling. You might have all the memory available, but if it's not in a contiguous manner, it will not be available to your process.

Regards.

But how to explain that I can flight with PMDG MD-11 hours and hours without "out of memory" error.

I had never seen this error except with the Concorde. I know... it's a complex aircraft. But each time, I flight with, each time I have troubles.

I will monitor memory use and I am getting back to you.

• 3 weeks later...
Ramón Cutanda

So far I've visited almost 100 different airports with Concorde-X and I've only had OOM errors TWICE. First time was in Dubai (OMDB) using the scenery by Flytampa and the second was in the London Area using Aerosoft's London VFR + Heathrow. Lowering autogen solved the issue both times. BTW, I always fly offline using My Traffic X at about 40% of traffic, disabling cars and boats. I agree that Concorde-X is more "sensitive" to OOM errors than other plane but, again, only two OOM erros in all this time and in so many different scenarios. So there must be something else I'm uncounciously doing that helps me avoiding errors, or some of you have something different in your configuration that make them happen. I've recently upgraded my computer and still no OOM errors, so I've tried two different hardware combinations.

Should I learn anything else about this errors sure I'll let you know.

Bests,

Ramón Cutanda

Yesterday I got another OOM error using Orbx Blue USA/Canada Pacific Fjords + Orbx PAKT Ketchikan International. As always, I lowered Autogen to "Sparce" and then I could fly the scenery normally.

Bests,

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting at the gate at JFK in the default Cessna, I have VAS usage of 1.5GB. After loading the concorde, bringing up all the 2d panels and closing them again (so loading them into memory) and doing an external view pan around, VAS usage goes to 3.8GB.

That is amazing and ridiculously bad. No other addon uses so much VAS.

The answer from here seems to be to try and lower that 1.5GB. But the concorde is adding 2.3GB! That's more than everything else in the sim... Including FSDT JFK and AI traffic.

Come on... This needs to be fixed.

Tracking the VAS, it's clear the 2d panel loads are using way too much memory.

After the concorde is loaded initially, VAS is sitting around 2.3GB. external pan adds about 150MB. The rest is loading up the 2d panels.

Oh, and I've resized the bitmaps and set pixelsizes in the panel.cfg... Saved about 100mbs.

It's something in the gauge loads. I'm betting something big is being instantiated with every panel.

Herby Gore

First, thanks Ramon for the tips you give. Really usefull.

Even when disabling UT2, I had this OOM error each time I reached a big airport like UK2000 Heathrow or CDG mega airport. After moving down the autogen from dense to normal, the problem seems to have disappear. I'll have to do a few more test but I'm confident.

It's really a pitty that this aircraft can only run with very poor graphics settings and without nice addons like UT2. And, for me as well, it's the only aircraft that causes such problems.

In order to still try to get the best out of it, do you guys think that the "texture max load" and the "texture bandwith mult" entries in the fsx.cfg file can have an impact on this problem?

Ramón Cutanda

First, thanks Ramon for the tips you give. Really usefull.

Glad to hear my words were helpful. Unfortunately I coudn't tell you what effect could have those changes you propose in the fsx.cfg file. As I wrote before, I'm aware Concorde-X is much more demanding with regards memory use than any other aircraft I've ever flown, but lowering autogen I've been able to take off and land from more than 100 different airports all over the world using complex payware sceneries in many of them. If I can do it I'm pretty sure most of you should too. Ideally, Flightsimlabs should improve Concorde's memory use and magament or, at least, provide some OFFICIAL SUPPORT with regards this matter, as it's pretty obvios it's a COMMON ISSUE MOST OF ALL SUFFER (if not all....) But in the meantime, lowering autogen is usually the best bet.

Sorry not being able to help you further with regards this topic.

Bests,

Andrew Wilson

Flightsimlabs should improve Concorde's memory use and magament or, at least, provide some OFFICIAL SUPPORT with regards this matter, as it's pretty obvios it's a COMMON ISSUE MOST OF ALL SUFFER (if not all....)

Ramón,

There is no room to improve the memory management inside Concorde-X. The product was designed with the minimal memory footprint possible. It is the memory management inside FSX that is flawed - as discussed several times here before the program doesn't release memory, so allocation of memory simply accumulates over time. That is, until we hit the buffers imposed by restrictions that apply to any 32bit Windows program - then FSX simply dies.

The problem, really - is that the FSX platform is over six years old. We're now trying to expand a platform that simply cannot be expanded beyond the 32bit infrastructure it was built upon. Because Concorde has so many instrument panels, the memory footprint of Concorde-X is higher than other titles - but there really isn't anything more we can do to minimize this for FSX.

One thing to keep in mind - with FSX scenery settings throttled, you're still getting better graphics than any Concorde pilot was accustomed to when they flew either of the two Concorde training simulators.

Ramón Cutanda

Thanks so much for your clarification Wilson. I'm perfectly aware of FSX limitations. In fact, FSX is NOT six years old. It's an update of FS9, and FS9 it's an update of FS2002 and the thing goes on... The "real" core of FSX is more than 10 years old now.

What I was thinking of when I made my point is that, if this is such a common error, a visible and clear warning should be put on official documentation, install notes or similar so that users installing Concorde-X are aware of this limitation of FSX. Otherwise, many customers spend hours fighting against their computers thinking it's their fault (the customer) or that Concorde-X is buggy.

I've always found information post in forums of the utmost relevance and I usually spend hours reading forums even before I have an issue. You can learn many things in advance!!! But the thing is most users only come into the forum AFTER an issue arises. Hence my suggestion.

Thanks for reading and taking our notes into consideration.

Kindest regards,

Andrew Wilson

Hi Ramón,

If there are settings that work for everyone - then we can put something into the release notes for SP2.1 for Concorde-X.

Right now, as you are no doubt aware, our resources are entirely focused on the A320-X. If you'd like to create a post with such recommendations for us - I can set it as a sticky topic here in the forum and we'll ask for customers input as to which settings work best for them - and how we can minimize the chances of FSX running out of memory.

Ramón Cutanda

Thanks for your interest Andrew. The reason why I started this post in the first place was precisely trying to explain why OOM errors are fairly common with Concorde-X and what can be done about it. And I was very careful with the title and keywords so that users searching the forum could find this post as easily as possible. In my opinion, combining my first post with your notes about FSX limitations could be very helpful for most users. As far as I've able to test autogen is the main reason for OOM errors; but only in memory demanding sceneries.

Once again, I do apreciate your interest in this matter. Thanks for participating in this post.

Derek Struye

How would that make any difference in memory consumption?

I do not know the exact technical in and out details but from what I understand DX10 uses VAS (virtual address space) resources more efficiently(less), puts more usage of our powerful GPUs and less stress on CPU.

Just one example.

Whole forum of info.

Herby Gore
do you guys think that the "texture max load" and the "texture bandwith mult" entries in the fsx.cfg file can have an impact on this problem?

I made a few test flights to check this out and did not have any OOM error after raising the texture max load from 1024 to 2048 then to 4096. This setting doesn't seem to have any influence on the OOM error.

Another thing: I have airport enhance service and I got an OOM error in Heathrow just after calling the follow me car. I think it is a good idea to avoid using it also.

I will make a few more flights later today to check if the "texture bandwith mult" can also be raised without getting this problem.

If there are settings that work for everyone - then we can put something into the release notes for SP2.1 for Concorde-X.

It's definitively a good idea to put the inputs from this topic in a place where the new comers can easily find them. With the time, more and more people will have hardware that supports hardcore FSX settings. As a result, more and more people may face this OOM problem with the concorde.

[Edited by moderator] :

Bryn,

thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, they are entirely uninformed - and how could they not be, since you are not privy to the actual code.As such, I edited your post and allowed it to serve as a first and final notice that such behavior will not be tolerated.

If you have something fruitful and helpful to suggest, please do so. If you continue with the trolling, you will end up being banned. You have been warned.

Kyprianos Biris

Below is a description of how I manage to survive the dreaded OOM issue.

By throttling down FSX I have managed to handle FSL Concorde just before the 4Gb VAS limit not to get OOMs.

Key issues in my settings :

The widely known FSX tweaks like http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

Some critical sliders

Autogen : Normal, not even Dense.

Vehicles : 15%

UK2000 EGLL : I installed the alternative low res ground textures provided to clients after logging in the purchased products page.

That saved me all the OOMs in London area with Concorde where I also have UK2000 EGKK and EGLC installed.

NOTHING else in London area except the generic FSX visual improvements (see below).

To other "heavy" airports plus the UK2000's above:

I install them by removing / disabling :

- static 3D objects like baggage trucks, aircraft etc.

- dynamic ground vehicle traffic that is not immediately visible from the taxiing area

- other buildings or features especially the ones with many polygons

When I know I will depart a "heavy" scenery with destination an also "heavy" scenery I try to minimize switching between external view pans.

In this case I also don't spend more time than needed at ground because as I see the VAS memory accumulates as time passes by.

I try to avoid if possible dusk/dawn departures since as I can see they combine more texture switching (day <-> night) both in external environment as well as Concorde itself which they don't clear from memory (i.e. day memory load remains after night textures load)

In my FSX PC (i7 processor with Nvidia GTX660Ti card) I have installed

UTX Europe, GEX Europe and REX, nothing else generic.

Weather by ASE and all other side software are run in a laptop via home LAN.

ASE limit cloud layers to max. 3

I do not have any AI package installed since I always fly on line in VATSIM network with FSInn where I have low res multiplay models set for display.

Indeed Concorde reaches 3.2~3.3 Gb VAS only by flying from and to DEFAULT FSX scenery airports.

That leaves little room for "heavy" sceneries.

From the last months of its extensive usage I have managed to fly from "heavy" to "heavy" airports by having 3.9something Gb VAS in worst case scenarios just after vacating arrival runway.

This is where I arm the parking brakes and send the PIREP to my VA !

Then if it crashes it so does at least without disastrous consequences !

In few (rare) times of these flights it reaches the 4Gb and OOM crash before I reach the gate.

Petakas, I have done much the same.

Another trick that I have used is switching between trillinear and anisotropic filtering in the fsx display options menu. That recovers a little bit of VAS, (about 100mb), which can be handy when FSUIPC starts its chiming.

I managed to get from FSDT JFK to Orbx England and UK2000 EGLL by doing that, and by limiting the number of 2d panels I opened. The FE 2d fuel panels add about 150mb each to VAS usage on my machine, so I don't open those if I can help it. Still, it finally ran out of memory as I taxied across to terminal 4.

My earlier (albeit moderated) post urged some investigation of the 2d panel code because it is the opening of those 2d panels that uses up all the VAS. I reckon there's some windows library loading action going on, but the moderator is right - I can't see the code.

I have also reduced the size of the panels in the panel.cfg file (using pixel_size and commenting out the window_size ratios) , and I've reduced the size of the bitmaps and lowered their quality to 8 bit.

Lastly, I've written my own gauge and that displays the remaining VAS (using the FSUIPC offset) - it's like an extra instrument... When it reaches zero games over :)

But, with all that, I remain disappointed in the product. Opening the panels should not use 2gb of vas.

Maybe the team can tell us what's going on with all that memory in the 2d panels?

Bryn

Herby Gore

Back after a few more test flights. As said before, I raised the texture bandwith mult up to 120 and made a few flights around Heathrow and one from LFPG to EGLL (2 very heavy sceneries). No problems at all. I managed to go all the way from gate to gate.

In the end, in my case, I just need to change the autogen setting when switching from Concorde to another plane.

• 3 weeks later...
GodAtum

Hi, here are a few details of my settings:

Land and sea traffic: disabled

Autogen: normal

AI: 20%

I still have OOM errros when flying into Imaginesims KIAD and FSDT JFK.

Robbie Garrett

Out of interest, I downloaded process explorer. Which of these is the VAS? or which one is what causes the OOM's that I get coming into London, and London Heathrow only. I used UK2000 Heathrow X (latest version) and I don't have anything else installed, really annoying as everything just goes slightly dark and you can't land the airplane at Heathrow properly.

Strangely it doesn't happen anywhere else, not even NEW York :S Just having a brief read says to me that VAS is 4GB, why is mine set at 3,071,004K? Should this not be 4GB?

k3knrc.jpg

I had Auto-Gen at Extremely Dense, I've lowered this to normal as I don't really see any benefit of it, I'll have to see if this fix works, but out of interest anything else I can do to make sure it doesn't OOM.

Derek Struye

Virtual Size is the one to watch. If you right click on the company name area then select columns then process memory tab then check virtual size box it will show live on the main page of PE.

Watch what happens in to VAS in process explorer as you open up all the panels.

Try choosing a set of panels you will not open at all for a flight. Some of the engineers ones might do.

Bryn.

Kyprianos Biris

Out of interest, I downloaded process explorer. Which of these is the VAS? or which one is what causes the OOM's that I get coming into London, and London Heathrow only. I used UK2000 Heathrow X (latest version) and I don't have anything else installed, really annoying as everything just goes slightly dark and you can't land the airplane at Heathrow properly.

Check my post further up this thread about UK2000 EGLL alternative low size ground bitmaps.

This is what saved me from OOMs in London regardless of FSLabs Concorde.

Strangely it doesn't happen anywhere else, not even NEW York :S Just having a brief read says to me that VAS is 4GB, why is mine set at 3,071,004K? Should this not be 4GB?

3,071 is what FSX.exe is "consuming" at that point.

When this reaches just above 4,0xx FSX crashes.

I had Auto-Gen at Extremely Dense, I've lowered this to normal as I don't really see any benefit of it, I'll have to see if this fix works, but out of interest anything else I can do to make sure it doesn't OOM.

Reduce memory consuming features you don't necessarily need. AI traffic, AI vehicles, Static objects etc.

Check this guide for things you may have missed in tweaking FSX:

http://kostasfsworld...hardware-guide/

Check especially the OOMs (Out of Memory errors) and why they happen

For OOM issues check this dedicated guide:

http://kostasfsworld...ddon-vas-usage/

[For later readers visiting this thread]

You find the process explorer here:

Add the column for VAS via Process -> Virtual Size tab and see if it reaches the 4Gb limit where you crash.

When FSX loads I sort application by VAS size so usually FSX stays on top.

Ramón Cutanda

Check this guide for things you may have missed in tweaking FSX:

http://kostasfsworld...hardware-guide/

Check especially the OOMs (Out of Memory errors) and why they happen

[For later readers visiting this thread]

You find the process explorer here:

Add the column for VAS via Process -> Virtual Size tab and see if it reaches the 4Gb limit where you crash.

When FSX loads I sort application by VAS size so usually FSX stays on top.

Those links were really helpful and clarifying. Thanks so much!!!

Herby Gore

It's strange to note that this article doesn't talk about the autogen density setting.

On my config, I still often have the FSUIPC warning (and sometimes the OOM crash) on long haul flights when I land in Heathrow (UK2000) or CDG (mega airport) despite the autogen density set to low.

I don't have the LOD_RADIUS entry in my fsx.cfg. So I assume it is by default set to 4.5, right? Could it help to set it to a lower value?

Kyprianos Biris

On the main guide

http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

in section

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=6.500000

Kosta writes

This tweak is for sharper distant textures and basically extends the sharp texture radius around the aircraft. It takes a toll on performance and especially memory load (VAS).

This setting should NOT be set over 6.5. This is a known source of OOM errors, and even 6.5 can cause it, if you are not careful. Max FSX default is 4.5. And it is going to reset to 4.5 each time you enter AND confirm the settings screen in FSX.

And important tweak that goes along with higher LOD is the ZOOM. More you zoom out, sharper the textures are going to get! I am using default of 0.6 zoom in all my views.

*P3D has this setting by default in the options, but be aware that VAS usage is in P3D slightly higher, thus higher chance of OOM with LOD 6.5

I have left it 4.5 and the few seconds it takes to sharpen the textures does not bother me since I gain performance from it.

It only bothers you if you fly really fast and low above terrain which is very rare for me.

cptawsom

I have left it 4.5 and the few seconds it takes to sharpen the textures does not bother me since I gain performance from it.

It only bothers you if you fly really fast and low above terrain which is very rare for me.

I also always had it 4.5, and never experienced an OOM (in a 64-bit OS), even with "notorious" sceneries like EFHK and CYVR.

I also always had my autogen set to sparse. I believe (I may be wrong) it also helps in OOM avoidance (it certainly helps in the framerate on my system).

Kyprianos Biris

and never experienced an OOM (in a 64-bit OS),

It does not matter 64 bit OS or not. You get OOM because FSX is 32 bit and it can handle max 4.0 Gb of VAS and then crashes.

Check the description of the issue in Kosta's blog guide to FSX tweaks, somewhere he mentions this.

cptawsom

It does not matter 64 bit OS or not. You get OOM because FSX is 32 bit and it can handle max 4.0 Gb of VAS and then crashes.

Yes, but in a 32-bit OS this limit gets down to 2GB.

(3GB with a special switch in the Windows NT Loader)

• 3 weeks later...
Kyprianos Biris

A typical almost OOM flight.

DEFAULT sceneries (add on airports LFMN & EIDW deactivated on purpose to avoid OOM)

LFMN Nice - over London (UK2000 airports not deactivated) - EIDW Dublin.

VAS at EIDW gate (see bottom left) 3,948 Mb just before OOM crash.

eidw.jpg?m=1369860129

Only other add ons UTX Europe - GEX Europe.

Lefteris Kalamaras

Kyp,

out of curiosity - and if you like to volunteer for this - could you report memory usage at the end of your flight if you UNINSTALL UTX Europe?

Lefteris

Kyprianos Biris

... or try another flight at "bare earth & water" areas without UTX scenery maybe ?

I guess the outcome would be the same right ?

The reason I ask is because I would like to avoid uninstaling stuff !

My problem is that I use extended desktop with 2 monitors, most 2D panels ON and this has memory demand.

From what I recall I can tell you that on such "bare" scenery flights the Concorde will stabilize at some 3,2 Gb of VAS and max will be 3.5

This leaves me "safety" room for a 500mb scenery load only.

The problems is that this may be an accumulated total scenery "flown over during session" load as I see now in this post and not a local scenery "flying in now" load.

During the subsonic LFMN to EIDW flight I flew over Paris and London with their add on capital airport sceneries activated (but not those of departure and destination).

http://www.oav.gr/oa...x.asp?id=181090

http://vataware.com/...cfm?id=11773747

Lefteris Kalamaras

Kyp,

actually, no, I meant uninstalling UTX as there are still some considerations that it has some memory leaks which we're trying to verify. Not sure if that's true or not, so I am not trying to start rumors here.

I meant uninstalling UTX as there are still some considerations that it has some memory leaks which we're trying to verify. Not sure if that's true or not, so I am not trying to start rumors here.

Lefteris, I do not have UTX Europe installed - either way, the only problems UTX ever had was in early versions on FS9.

Do the 2d panels not use over 2gb of VAS on your setup after they've all been opened once?

If they do, can you explain why your panels use over 2gb, while no one else's comes close to that? Like PMDG, which only uses 800mb.

Bryn.

• Lefteris Kalamaras pinned this topic