Concorde Performance System: Calculations For Any Route

Ramón Cutanda

Craig Udseth

Hi Pierre!

Noticed a couple of small items for your attention.

1. The first leg of the flight plan is not being added into the total distance.

2. Attempting to reload a "saved" CPS plan does not reproduce the flight log page - only a blank page with "0" distance.

3. Same results as in #2 when a flight plan is reworked from scratch whether using the "s-" noted file or when deleting the "s-" and reprocessing the Route file.

4. But, if the flight plan is again regenerated or re-saved from the flight planner software then it can again be processed thru CPS as usual. I am using Super Flight Planner, but that shouldn't matter as long as the file has been compiled and saved in FSX ".pln" format.

Again, thanks for the great program!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pierre Chassang

• Ray Proudfoot

• Ramón Cutanda

• Steve Prowse

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Captains, Please have a lokk here:

Dear Captains, Next Wednesday I will meet an ex-Concorde real life pilot. I will discuss with her of several Concorde X vs real aircraft differences. During development, she already

Concorde Performance System X: http://concordeperformancesystem.org/   Concorde Performance System X (referred to as CPS-X hereafter) is a standalone utility which can be used with SS

Posted Images

Tigerhawk

hi Pierre,

I am getting the same problem as Craig above, ie the route is showing 0 miles.

I am using version 2

I have e-mailed you the PLN file

Many thanks

Dave

Pierre Chassang

Hi Dave!

A little bug remained in the code.

CPS 2.0 should work well from now.

Just download again and install

CAUTION:

With the new version you'll have to delete all your Concorde ADEU files and and all the "S-" suffixe of all flight plans generated by and for previous versions.

Then you must add all these route one more time because some details have changed in the latest version for ADEU titles and .pln files.

Cheers

Tigerhawk

Thanks Pierre,

When you say we need to delete all your ADEU files, do you mean we need to completely empty the CIVA/ADEU folder, or just remove the ones added by CPS?

Pierre Chassang

Hi Tigerhawk,

you just have to remove the files used by CPS, not the others (I have updated the CAUTION message on CPS blog).

Thanks for your good remark.

Cheers

Pierre Chassang

Hi, Blackgold,

Did you have downloaded the latest version (updated today) of CPS?

If so, please send me the pln causing the issue.on support CPS mail adress.

Best Regards

Pierre

Craig Udseth

Hi Pierre!

Just downloaded latest upgrade for v2.00 and everything now seems to perform correctly with regard to flightlog distances and all data is present on reload after saving. Thanks for your quick attention to these. Your work has certainly breathed new life and interest in flying the Concorde. Many thanks for a superb and professional work.

Tigerhawk

Hi Pierre,

Same thing happened again I'm afraid. Downloaded 2.0.0.8. Removed all ADEU files from CIVA folder except the numbered ones added by the initial installation. Removed all S- flightplans from the Flight Simulator Files. Added the route, it created the ADEU files as expected. However, when I Loaded the route the ground distance is showing as 0 miles, although the waypoints are showing on the map. I've e-mailed the PLN to you, both before and after adding the route.

Regards

Dave

Romain Roux

Hi,

There, I've just downloaded the new version 2.0.0.8 and I can't load any route anymore. I have deleted all the previous "S-", cleaned the CIVA folder, and tried to Add several different routes.

the routes names are successfully changed to "S-" but when I try to load them, I get a message that says "The route has not been ADDED before use. Please ADD ROUTE command".

I didn't have that issue with the version 2.0.0.7. Is there something new I have missed in the new version?

I have tried also to add same routes created with different route planners but it doesn't change anything.

I have made the mistake to delete the v2.0.0.7 installer which was working fine for me, is there a way to get it back?

Thanks for your help and congrats for that wonderful tool (despite the problem I have now!^^)

Romain Roux

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for you quick answer, your program is excellent.

However, may I propose few ideas for a further update based on my personal use:

_ a possibility to chose what pages to print in the report (not the complete report each time)

_ an indication of the maximum runway weight when entering the payload before completed all the sequence payload + fuel (currently it indicates it only once you have completed the payload and fuel on takeoff calculation, which force you to come back and restart you loading and fuel. Not a big deal but it would simplify the preparation to my view)

I mainly ask that because I'm also unable to find the performance charts regarding runway length, fuel vs distance, and other necessary for flight preparation and obviously your software must include these charts.

Brgds

Craig Udseth

Hi Pierre!

Uninstalled 2.0.0.7 and newly installed latest 2.0.0.10 this morning. Re-saved flight plan from my planner (SFP) and then processed the plan with your new version. Everything seemed to work correctly. One question, however. I had altered my departure weather so I had to go to "custom" when I got to the "takeoff" page but still using AS2012 weather (my default) for arrival. Must I go back and change my temp aloft to difference from IAS or can it remain the ACTUAL average temp aloft? Second question: I noticed in the weather module when using the "calculate" page that you have provision for the wind component at subsonic but not the temperature at subsonic. I also notice that if I enter the temps in the three supersonic blocks, I also must then enter the same temp in the lower left corner(?) Also it appears the wind component must be entered again in the lower right corner. Why? Also, since I changed to "custom" for departure weather, must these temp figures be the difference from ISA instead of actual temp aloft?

Now to more pressing issue: though CPS works fine on a new plan, it fails to bring up the flightlog if the plan is RELOADED. It also provides no option to activate the "load" button but pressing ROUTE instantly brings up a blank flightlog with a "0" total distance. I did not proceed further since all calculations would have been meaningless. I tried this with two different plans (both resaved from scratch, processed and saved through CPS) with the same problem when I attempted to reload the "saved" plans.

Romain Roux

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for the great job. It works fine now with the method you describes on your website.

I have small point for improvement again to propose. Is it possible to keep the alternate entered when you switch from one tab to another? After having chosen the alternate I go to payload tab then, if I go back to the route tab and wants to go to the payload, I have to enter again the alternate. It a small thing but maybe there would be a way to keep the alternate?

I know I may be demanding a lot and I wouldn't like bothering you with that when we can see the quality of the tool, but to my point of view they are small things that make the use of your tool more confortable.

Pierre Chassang

Hi Craig,

1st question: CPS can work with three WX source "real world", "AS" or "custom" but not with a mix of two or three.

2nd Question: In subsonic step temperature has no significant influence on Concorde performance. There are two ways to enter wind / temp values.

Using real world WX source, you can enter the wind seeps for each part of flight with the help of WX chart browser. Then the average wind and temp will be calculated after "Save" button click and sent to the program with "Send" click.

Using AS WX source, You just have to read the average wind and temp in the AS flight plan, enter them in the lower corner zones and all the upper values will be the same you have entered.

The only difference is in real world source, you have to enter temp (Not ISA deviation) in upper zones and the average result displayed will be ISA deviation in lower left zone. Contrariwise, in AS source mode you have to enter the temp (Not ISA deviation) in lower left zone and the upper zones will dispaly the calculated temp (Three times the same) too.

One Rule: Upper temp are always the absolute values of temp (entered or displayed calculation), Lower left zone either displays calculated average ISA deviation in real world mode or absolute temp value must be entered in AS mode.

Wind works almost the same way:

In real world mode, you have to enter the winds in each upper zones and the average value will be displayed in lower right zone.

In AS you have to enter the average wind in lower right zone and the five upper zones will display the same value.

Concerning the plan issue, I'll try to reproduce it and back to inform you.

Hope I've been clear enough.

Best Regards

Pierre Chassang

Hi Romain,

I'll try to reproduce the issue with alternate and back to inform you.

I will always be listening to users ans so improve the product.

Cheers

Pierre Chassang

Hi one more time Craig,

I've tried to add 3 routes called EGLL-KJFK ; EGLL-KJFK01 and EGLL-KJFK02 (the same route renamed 2 times).

CPS has created 3 set of ADEU files normally.

I've loaded and reloaded the three routes in random order and i've got no issue,

Could you verify ADEU file have been created for your issued pln.

Then open the pln file to see if you have in title or <title> line ICAO codes like EGLL to KJFK-X (X is a digit).

You can find: EGLL London Heathrow to KJFK John F Kennedy Intl-X too.

The corresponding ADEU files must have the same name as above with the "-X" included like: EGLL to KJFK-X.1.AWC or ADC or txt.

if so just tell me.

Cheers

Craig Udseth

Hi Pierre!

I tried with 2 other files and everything seems now to work. I had caused the problem myself by changing the names of the ADEU files to match the older format. I now know to leave them alone! Thanks for the clearer explanation of the wind/temp calculate module.

One more question, however. I understand that I cannot mix the sources so if I customized the departure weather, then it will be considered customized for the whole plan including the arrival airport. I understand from your explanation that Real Wx must use the ISA deviation, but I thought that also applied for Custom Wx. Please clarify.

A followup question is that if I am using purely AS weather and only entering the average wind/temp aloft as gleaned from AS2012 then how would I be able to input to CPS if the wind was decidedly different for subsonic portion of flight? In one case in particular the plan involved a 500 nm subsonic arrival portion and the supersonic wind average was a 3k tailwind but the subsonic was averaging over 50k headwind. I can readily see where real weather input procedure would allow this to be taken into consideration, but still unclear how to input this using the AS average procedure. I look forward to your update of a manual in English. Thanks again, Pierre.

Craig Udseth

Hi Pierre!

Just a better explanation of my previous post: I discovered that you are saving the ADEU files in a directory call BACKUP and only saving the "text" file in the root ADEU directory. I had corrected this and inadvertently deleted the "txt" file which apparently is what CPS uses to reload the plan after it has been saved. Thus attempting to reload my previously created CPS file would not reproduce the flightlog. This is with v2.0.0.10.

A problem occurs, however, in that ConcordeX only loads the files into the CDU from the ROOT ADEU file. Each time we run CPS v2.0.0.10 we have to delete the original ADEU file in CIVA and rename BACKUP to ADEU so that ConcordeX can load the route files! Seems this would be an easily corrected issue.

Thanks for your diligence.

Pierre Chassang

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the report.

Issue fixed in the next version.

Concerning your previous post:

AS filght plan gives only one average temp and one average temp. Furthermore the AS flight profile never take in account subsonic part of flight.

It is as if the vertical profile was a rectangle.

As gives ground temp and wind for departure airport, then temp ans wind at max cruise level and finally ground temp and wind for destination airport.

I've contacted them for they modify this wrong profile.

They said to me in a future update it will be done.

Custom WX wait for ISA deviation as real world, not absolute temperature.

Hope this help

Best Regards

Craig Udseth

Hi Pierre!

Thanks. I think I have it now. I have been using historic weather so I was relying on AS2012 info. So to include the subsonic information as factor in CPS, I will have to manually average the wind factor for the subsonic portion and then (using custom weather) enter it into the "calculate" module along with the supersonic wind factor/temp (average gleaned from AS2012) into the proper blanks. Then pressing "save" will give me a net deviation from ISA for my plan. Of course that means that I will have to manually enter the departure/arrival AS2012 weather into the plan also. Does that sound right? Thanks again.

To Pierre:

Pierre, are you aware that for about a week now, the URL link for the latest CPS version is not present in your blog's first page? http://concordeperfo...stem.unblog.fr/

The title bar now says only Accueil - C'est quoi? when it used to say Accueil - C'est quoi? - Derniere version.

To get to the latest version page (http://concordeperfo...sion-available/) now, somebody has to either use a browser bookmark, or specifically enter it in the web browser's URL bar.

Pierre Chassang

Hello Cptawsom,

Thanks for report, but when using your link, I have all the titles present.

Thanks too for giving the direct link.

Greetings

Pierre Chassang

_ an indication of the maximum runway weight when entering the payload before completed all the sequence payload + fuel (currently it indicates it only once you have completed the payload and fuel on takeoff calculation, which force you to come back and restart you loading and fuel. Not a big deal but it would simplify the preparation to my view)

I mainly ask that because I'm also unable to find the performance charts regarding runway length, fuel vs distance, and other necessary for flight preparation and obviously your software must include these charts.

Brgds

The Day Max takeoff weight depends of runway lenght, runway slope, wind, and pressure altitude dependind itself of runway height and atmospheric pressure.

I doesn't depend of load.

So I think I could indicates this parameter (only informative because the real max takeoff weight depends of takeoff weight including fuel, brakes limitation, obstacles limitation, tyre limitation) on Departure runway panel.

Is it what you would?

Best Regards

Pierre

Romain Roux

Hi Pierre,

Yes it would be perfect.

Let's imagine (completely fictional figures) that I want to fly from LFPG. According to the weather conditions and my flight plan, departure will be on rwy 27L, it would be good to know what will be the max weight allowed for such a takeoff. The idea is not to have a very accurate weight before calculation but rather an idea of the limitation. If it is around 170t, I won't try to load the concorde with full pax and fuel because I know already I will exceed the approx 170T.

It is just to prevent go and back between the payload and fuel tab and the departure tab.

So yes, you get it, I would find it really great to have an indication on departure runway panel.

Thanks for you kind interest.

Romain Roux

Hi Pierre,

I have just had a look at your website with the preview of the next version, it looks perfect.

Thanks for having taken my ideas in such great consideration.

I haven't had time to fly since yesterday and not sure for today as well, but if I can, I will try to check if the modules are present in the fsx menu and will let you know.

By the way, there is a modo on the pfpx forum with the same pseudo than you, I guess it is you?

Brgds,

Pierre Chassang

Hi Romain,

When an idea is good and bring more confort for user, I have to include it in CPS.

Yours was very good that's why I did so.

Yes, I am co-admninistartor, global moderator, and beta tester with PFPX.

Hope you'll like this great tools when it will be released.

Greetings

Craig Udseth

Hi Pierre!

I am using the latest upgrade to CPS. This flight, however, the virtual FE did not balance fuel usage as I flew. ConcordeX became increasingly left side heavy and the fuel screens showed that fuel was being used disproportionally from the right side but very little from the left side. The aircraft began to track noticeably left of course and required me to input right aileron/rudder trim to keep it on track. By the time I was on final it was as though I were flying with left engines out but all engines were performing at full capacity. ( I had to engage crossfeeds in order to keep the right engines running during the last phases of flight since all fuel had been drained from the right side). It was quite challenging manually landing to say the least. After parking, I checked the "fuel" menu and found that ALL tanks were empty but Tank 1 (35%) and Tank 2 (43%). I have never experienced an out of balance fuel usage before using the automated virtual FE. I know that CPS has a DLL that is loaded with the ConcordeX and I assume that it communicates the fuel/payload to the "CPS" entry in the menu but does it also affect the way the fuel is used during flight? Maybe my question is way out of line here and, if so, I apologize. Maybe this was just an FSX glich that caused this to happen on this particular flight, but if not then please advise.

Also, Pierre, I notice that I am always ending up with lower fuel than CPS predicts and I have been very precise in entering my flight plan data. I am thinking that I may have to use a 10% fuel bias. Any suggestions on that?

Pierre Chassang

Hello Craig,

CPS, once created fuel and load profiles does nothing more.

Once it closed, only ConcordeX manages fuel by itself.

CPS doesn't have any dll to manage fuel and load. It just write a fuel profile one time only. That's all.

CpsModulesStart.dll created in FSX is only for generate the specific menus and launch CFM and CDC utilities. It has no effect on fuel mangement.

Until now you are the first CPS to encounter this kind of trouble.

I guess it is a ConcordeX problem.

Concerning the fuel prediction, I've added a feature that allows user to include CircOut and CircIn on departure and arrival airport to take in account departure and approach which increase the great circle distance between airport to first waypoint and last waypoint to airport. (It also exists with alternate in control panel).

I did two flight with strong tail wind and head wind using this feature and the results are very impressive.

With tail wind I had 14.7t at landing with 14.861t planned (1.08% less than planned)

With head wind I had 11.9t at landing with 11.799t planned (0.85% more than planned)

The next time you'll encounter the problem, please make a detailed report with screens and you think important. Then send me it.

So I can investigate accurately.

Thanks for report

Best Regards

Craig Udseth

Thanks for your offer to help, Pierre. After reading your answer, I retrieved the saved info in CPS and ran it again with the exact same data inputs but I received a totally different Fuel requirement. Puzzled, I closed it down and ran it again using the saved flight plan previously processed. Again, all entered data was exactly the same but the result yielded yet a totally different recommendation.(?) This last run gave me a much greater fuel requirement which seems more in keeping with what I would need to end up with the LW specified.

As for my imbalance issue, I redid the flight through CPS and reflew it up to midflight supersonic but experienced the exact same problem: only the right side tanks were feeding the engines, left side tanks were not being used resulting in very heavy leftside imbalance. I then ended the flight, de-activated the CPS related "dll", and deleted the CPS fuel load file from the ConcordeX folder. I started ConcordeX to refly the same flight still using the CPS "payload" entry from previous flight but this time MANUALLY entering the CPS recommended fuel requirement. And this time everything has been remaining symmetrical up through mid supersonic flight. I have paused it there so I could write this post. I will try another new flightplan and fly it with the CPS "dll" reactivated and using the resultant CPS fuel load file as a test and report back.

UPDATE: Created a new flight after reinstalling CPS and all seems to be feeding equally from left and right sides and staying balanced so far. I am at FL510 and tanks are still in balance so whatever was causing my problem it thankfully isn't CPS. Still getting different results though each time I run the same data through.

Edited by HiFly
Pierre Chassang

Hello Craig,

I am very surprised to read your message.

This story is really incredible.

I'm glad to hear CPS shouldn't be the cause of your troubles.

When you're loading a saved flight into CPS, the fuel data may be changed because weather is not saved with the flight.

So if a wind or pressure or temperature change, the fuel prediction also change.

Here is a tip I use just after loading FSX and get at gate.

I always use either Cold and dark or Cockpit preparation situation.

Then I deactivate virtual engineer and shut down all engines fuel pumps because Concorde X is getting a bug: it burn a little fuel even with engines stopped.

I then load fuel profile first then load one.

I finalize the cockpit preparation following takeoff form settings.

I finally reactivate the virtual flight engineer just before starting engines.

Until now I never had problem.

I will investigate to the difference between data for a same profile is too high.

Thanks a lot for reporting.

Kind Regards

Pierre Chassang

Hi, Kerlix

Ok, I don't know the weather files format with OPUS.

Could you send me some examples.

So I may be add it to WX source if not too complex.

BestRegards

Jean L. Leborne

I'm currently experiencing some troubles using CPS 2.0.0.14 : in the FSX add-ons menu all the 3rd parties tools (FSUIPC, FSLabs, Ivap, etc...) are showing up, except CPS and its items "Fuel management + Descent calculator" ? Pierre is aware about that, trying to fix the issue.

The dll.xml file includes the CPS lines, but the Simconnect.xml does not (both located in Appdata/Roaming/FSX). I just ran ADE environnment checker and I'm pretty sure FSX SDK SP2 is installed and all the rest that is needed. I'm also 100% sure Simconnect is also working fine with at least the Plan-G app that is running on my remote PC and that requires Simconnect to run properly with FSX/P3D located on my local desktop.

My question is : did some of you, CPS v2 users, ever experience this non-showing issue as described above ? without or with Plan-G using the SimConnect.xml file ?

Thanks a lot