Ramón Cutanda

Concorde Performance System: Calculations For Any Route

Pierre Chassang

Thanks so much for support Ramon.

Milton Kuser

Sounds like a sweet update!

Herby Gore

Hi,

After spending hours searching for the right settings to get rid of the OOM problem with the concorde, I now have a stable system and the concorde is not causing CTD anymore. :wub:

Now, I want to install and set up CPS.

First, merci beaucoup Pierre for this software.

Even before installing it, I have a question:

I have AS2012 installed on another computer connected to my main rig through wideFS and simconnect. As far as I know, CPS needs to be installed on the computer running FS, right?

I saw in the video tutorial that I have to indicate the active sky folder path. How can I do that when AS2012 is installed on another computer? Can I share the folder and indicate the path on the network?

Pierre Chassang

Hi NHerby,

In the CPS installation process, if AS2012 isn't detected on the same computer, (from register information), you'll see a message asking you if AS2012 doesn't installed or if it is located on another network computer.

If so, in the condition you can browse to the AS installation folder in CPS dialog box (folder shared), you can use it through the network.

You'll just have to indicate both program folder path and "current_wx_snapshot.txt" file path, located in "users\appdata\HiFi\AS2012\Weather" folder of the computer on which AS2012 is installed.

The same way can be used using FS on a different computer than CPS.

Some users are in that situation and haven't problem

Hope this help

Best Regards

Pierre

Herby Gore

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your answer. I've installed CPS on the same computer than AS2012 and it works fine. No problem to send the ADEU cards to the FSX computer through the network; same for the payload, I can see those new CPS entries in the FSX's dropdown menu (Addons ->FSLabs ->Aircraft fuel/Aircraft load).

I saw that it is required to transfert some fuel from T9 to T11 to get the desired CG. Is-it a standard procedure that should be performed by the VFE or do I need to take care of it by myself? From what I saw, the VFE does not move fuel prior to TO and since I have the VFE enabled, I cannot touch the fuel pannel. In this case, is-it possible to modify the fuel distribution directly from the FSLabs interface before loading the aircraft? Why CPS loads the aircraft this way when the FSLabs default loads give directly a correct CG for TO?

Edit: Forget about this queston. I found the answer in this topic.

Another thing: in CPS, the fuel management sheet remains blank. I can't figure out why.

Pierre Chassang

Hi NHerby,

Could you please send me a picture with blank fuel management sheet?

It is the first time an user has this kind of issue and I can't reproduce it.

Regards

Herby Gore

Could you please send me a picture with blank fuel management sheet?

Just sent you a PM with a screenshot.

Regards.

Pierre Chassang

OK, There is no issue, Th fuel management sheet is not yet implemented with curves for now.

The sheet with curves will be displayed from a FS menu in a future version.

At this time, you can plot the FOB with a pencil on a printed sheet from CPS.

So it is not an error...

Cheers

GavinPrice

Sorry if I sound silly but how do I create an acceptable ICAO waypoint from a LATLON like this to use with CPS? N51 10.0 W006.00.0

Pierre Chassang

Sorry if I sound silly but how do I create an acceptable ICAO waypoint from a LATLON like this to use with CPS? N51 10.0 W006.00.0

Hi,

ICAO rules accept only 5 characters Fix names.

Using the rules, it becomes: 5106N

Minutes of Latitude are not taken in account.

No_Name

Is there a way to use this application without adobe reader?

Pierre Chassang

Hello Nikola,

Unfortunately not.

CPS contains a an Adobe component which only works with Acrobat reader.

The other components are not freeware and as CPS is freeware I can't use them...

Best regards

Herby Gore

Hi,

Back after several flights managed through CPS. It is definitively a fantastic software but I still have a few questions:

As explained earlier in this topic, I did not install CPS on the computer running FSX but on a laptop connected via LAN (shared folders, widefs and simconnect) where I also run other addons like FSC9, AS2012, squawkbox... With this setup, I have issues with CPS when the computer running FSX is off. The first problem I have is after loading the route, the route displays properly on the map but the ground distance stays at 0. As a result, the fuel calculation is wrong. Is it possible to run CPS without having the FSX computer up?

It may sound a bit stupid to run CPS without FSX, but, since CPS is installed on a laptop that I often bring to work, I often make the flight planning during the day to be able to directly jump in the cockpit in the evening. But here, I have no way to be sure that the plane will be able to fly the planned route.

Another question regarding the CG:

As far as I know (I stand to be corrected here), there are 3 possible TO CG on Concorde: 53% for TOW<140T, 53,5% for TOW >=140T and 54% when all the tanks except tank 11 are full. Why in the aircraft balance tab, CPS proposes any TO CG between 52,5% and 54%?

Last point, is the maximum TO weight displayed somewhere? Indeed, several times when I tried to compute the TO data, I had a warning saying that the aircraft weight was above the maximum TO weight. I sort this out by reducing the payload but this supposes to go back in the process and redo all the fuel calculation many times untill I find an acceptable payload.

Following the same idea, it would be interesting to know what is the limiting factor for a particualr TO. In many cases (runway too short, obstacle), opting for another runway can increase the maximum TO weight and therefore make the TO possible. But, here again, I stand to be corrected; it may not be as simple as I think it is.

Pierre Chassang

Hi NHerby,

As explained earlier in this topic, I did not install CPS on the computer running FSX but on a laptop connected via LAN (shared folders, widefs and simconnect) where I also run other addons like FSC9, AS2012, squawkbox... With this setup, I have issues with CPS when the computer running FSX is off. The first problem I have is after loading the route, the route displays properly on the map but the ground distance stays at 0. As a result, the fuel calculation is wrong. Is it possible to run CPS without having the FSX computer up?

It may sound a bit stupid to run CPS without FSX, but, since CPS is installed on a laptop that I often bring to work, I often make the flight planning during the day to be able to directly jump in the cockpit in the evening. But here, I have no way to be sure that the plane will be able to fly the planned route.

This is not an issue.

Any software working with network has the same behaviour.

The answer is: No network connexion, no working software needing network.

But!, CPS may working without any FS installed. I say FS only, If ActiveSky is not installed neither on CPS computer or network one, CPS can oly use real or custom weather.

Using CPS without FS is quite simple:

1- On the CPS installed computer, create a folder with aname of your choice.

2- Inside this folder once created, create a subfolder named "civa" exactly as shown (except brackets).

3- Inside the subfolder "civa", create a subfolder named "ADEU" exactly as shown (except brackets).

In the (1) folder, paste the .pln files you want to use from the FS computer.

In the(3) subfolder (ADEU), paste all the files from the "civa\ADEU" FS computer corresponding to the .pln you want to use.

When done, type the (1) folder name path on CPS control panel in place of the usual Flight plan folder path.

That's all.

You may now use CPS without FS.

Another question regarding the CG:

As far as I know (I stand to be corrected here), there are 3 possible TO CG on Concorde: 53% for TOW<140T, 53,5% for TOW >=140T and 54% when all the tanks except tank 11 are full. Why in the aircraft balance tab, CPS proposes any TO CG between 52,5% and 54.

Concorde is able to take-off from 52.5 to 54%. have a lok to the take-off form (French style), you can see all these value at bottom of form with the corresponding elevons trim settings.

Sometimes, CPS calculate a TOCG with values out of range.

So Captain has to select a listed value in the range (near the calculated value) and can read the fuel transfer he'll have to perform during taxi.

Avoid a fuel burn to set a correct TOCG by which could result a insufficient fuel for trip.

In this case, change the aircraft load to obtain a fuel transfer.

If using vfe, you can see him perform a transfer to 52.5% when aircraft is very light.

Last point, is the maximum TO weight displayed somewhere? Indeed, several times when I tried to compute the TO data, I had a warning saying that the aircraft weight was above the maximum TO weight. I sort this out by reducing the payload but this supposes to go back in the process and redo all the fuel calculation many times untill I find an acceptable payload.

Following the same idea, it would be interesting to know what is the limiting factor for a particualr TO. In many cases (runway too short, obstacle), opting for another runway can increase the maximum TO weight and therefore make the TO possible. But, here again, I stand to be corrected; it may not be as simple as I think it is.

From memory (I'm not at home and without CPS), Max TO weight should be indicated onth TO form (French style only, English style doesn't give this information or may be on top).

Most of the time the best way to clearing this warning, is selecting a longer or better oriented runway before mofify the aircaft load.

Anyway, the day MTOW is calculated from the runway length and slope, wind, temperature, pressure, brake energy dissipated limits and tyre speed limit, as in real life.

Hope this help you.

All the best.

Pierre

GodAtum

Hi thanks for the update. How do I load routes? I go to the route page, click Add Route but it says the route has already been added.When I go to load, it says please add Route.

Pierre Chassang

Hi thanks for the update. How do I load routes? I go to the route page, click Add Route but it says the route has already been added.When I go to load, it says please add Route.

Hi GodAtum,

Please could you send me the pln file causing problem?

Thanks

GodAtum

Hi GodAtum,

Please could you send me the pln file causing problem?

Thanks

Sorry how do I do that?

Pierre Chassang

Sorry how do I do that?

Please, host the file where you want and send me the link here.

Cheers

Pierre Chassang

OK, I saw you flight plan.

First it get an wrong waypoint coodinates: " BABAN" is N15*30.8 E120*28.5. which gives a 15165NM trip.

On the other hand your FP is in correct format.

Look if you don't have another one with the same name in your FP folder.

If not, rename the FP EGLLKIAD.pln, without "S-" prefix and try to add the route one more time.

It should work.

Hope to help you

Herby Gore

Thanks again Pierre for your answers.

I think I just found a bug:

On the departure tab, I made a mistake when entering the departure airport ICAO. I entered KMIQ instead of KMIA. As a result an error window pops up and cannot be closed. The only way out is to kill CPS via the task manager.

And recently, I had an issue with the weather: in AS2012, the weather report tab indicated a wind at 90/03kts while in CPS, the METAR was 300/05kts. In such cases, is it possible to manually enter the METAR in CPS?

Pierre Chassang

Hi NHerby,

The descride issue seems indicate you don't get the lastest exe version of CPS.

Please, could check the .exe file date and hour which should be: 16/04/2013 11:16 32090Ko.

If not so, re download and reinstall CPS.

For AS2012 issue, is AS2012 launched when you get the metar?

otherwise AS2012 displays the last metar saved in its latest session.

Kind Regards

Herby Gore

For AS2012 issue, is AS2012 launched when you get the metar?

otherwise AS2012 displays the last metar saved in its latest session.

Yes, AS2012 was up and running before CPS was launched. I even relaunched both softwares several times.

I just try to reproduce the problem but, even when using the historical weather from AS2012 and getting the METAR I had when the problem occured, I cannot reproduce it. I've just installed the latest version. Maybe this is why I cannot reproduce the problem now.

If I face the same issue again, I'll take screenshots to show you.

Regards.

Mark Wolpert

I ran the program for a round the world route and everything was fine but when I exported to ConcordeX the numbers did not show up when Ioaded concorde. Does fsx and concorde have to be running when you take this step?

Pierre Chassang

Hello Mark767,

When exporting data to Concorde X, you must read 2 messages in CPS.

1- ADEU folder has been successfully saved.

2- Concorde loader updated.

When both message have been displayed and validated with OK,

You can print the flight package and close CPS or only close the program.

Then you can launch FSX and load Concorde X. When loaded, Select a panel state like "Cold and dark" or " Concorde preliminary".

When done, open "Addons/FsLabs/Options" menu and select "Fuel load" tab.

Select "CPS" preset fuel load which should display the CPS values.

Then select "Aircraft load" and select "CPS" Preset load (The CPS values should be displayed) and click "Apply".

Did you proceeded as above?

Best Regards

Pierre

Mark Wolpert

hen you can launch FSX and load Concorde X. When loaded, Select a panel state like "Cold and dark" or " Concorde preliminary".

When done, open "Addons/FsLabs/Options" menu and select "Fuel load" tab.

Select "CPS" preset fuel load which should display the CPS values.

Then select "Aircraft load" and select "CPS" Preset load (The CPS values should be displayed) and click "Apply".

OK this is the step I was missing. thanks for your reply.

Mark Wolpert

OK so I just had a chance to do as you suggested and did find the CPS under Fuel and Payload tabs. The next question is after I have loaded up the correct CPS fuel and weight, are you able to use the FSL Performance Loader to send you V1, Vr, V2, etc. data to the Concorde? or do you have to load these manually? I guess another way is to pick another airport with similar runway length and direction to use....probably off a little but may be good enough for Concorde in FSX.

Pierre Chassang

Hello Mark767,

Well, I asked to Andrew how I could send V speeds, HSI Theta3 bug, Timer settings for noise reduction, TLA, FF and P7 from CPS to Concorde.

He told me that until now, it is impossible.

But, He told me too he will work to a solution as soon A320X will released.

So for now, you must set those parameters manually as real pilots did.

CPS can do that with SSTSIM because the communication process between FS9 and CPS is quite easier.

As you suggest, the use of FSLabs performance utility with similiar runway lenght can't work because multiple other parameters are used to caculate V speeds as QNH, Wind speed and direction, runway slope and some more.

Awayting Andrew solution, you need set them manually.

Best Regards

Mark Wolpert

OK, thanks for your response. Let's hope there is a solution in the near future.

Mark Wolpert

A quick question on how CPS uses the Activesky 2012 data. Is it just getting the average wind component and temperature that you type in manually? or is it actually reading the weather file for winds aloft? The reason I ask is that I am now flying a RTW leg PHNL-NTAA and I am running out of fuel. I have 550nm left with just 14T on board. I used CPS properly I think and entered the route winds and temperature from AS. In addition I added an extra 2000 kgs of fuel but it still seems like it calculated the value too low.

Ramón Cutanda

When loading the route into Active Sky it's important to SET THE RIGHT ALTITUDE in the load route field. Otherwise you will be using winds from another altitude layer. I always use 55,000 feet as most of times Concorde won't reach 60,000. As for the True Airspeed I use 1134 knots.

Each time Active Sky uploads the weather, it creates the following file:

C:\Users\YOUR-USER-NAME\AppData\Roaming\HiFi\AS2012\Weather\current_wx_snapshot.txt

That's one of the first things you need to setup after CPS install, telling CPS where that file is located, as that will be the information used for the route performances calculation.

Also, please note that when set to Active Sky, you will need to enter the AVERAGE temperature whereas when using "Real" weather setting you must set the DIFFERENCE with respect the ISA of 56,5 ºC.

Hope that helps.

Bests,

Mark Wolpert

thanks for the information Ramon, so when I get average temps of -64.5 I would enter average temp of - 8.0 (the difference from 56.6). correct?

Ramón Cutanda

thanks for the information Ramon, so when I get average temps of -64.5 I would enter average temp of - 8.0 (the difference from 56.6). correct?

That's correct ONLY if you're using REAL as weather source. If using Active Sky then you have to type DIRECTLY what average temperature Active Sky shows. By the way, you may find this webpage interesting:

http://www.digitaldutch.com/atmoscalc/

Bests,

Mark Wolpert

Ok we'll I use as2012 directly and I did type on the actual temp. I think the issue was the altitude.

Pierre Chassang

Hi Mark and Ramon,

The reply of Ramon is perfectly right.

When using "Real WX" you have to set the difference with -56.5°C

When using AS you need to set the temperature indicated by AS. (The label color on the fields turns to red when using AS).

The question concerning atitude is more complex:

AS gives you this temperature as if the flight profile was a rectangle. You'll find deparure ground temperature, then cruise altitude for the next waypoint even if located 20nm farther.

You'll find winds and temperature at cruise altitude until the last waypoint before destination and as for departure, ground temperature for arrival airport.

Exactly as the flight profile was a rectangle.

As Ramon I did set 52000 or 55000 ft as cruise altitude when using AS to increase accuracy. But, I think it not enough.

So, I actually use real life temperature and winds on NOAA charts.

Here is how I do that:

I browse to : http://www.aviationweather.gov/iffdp/

I select the flight area chart.

Then I pick 5 winds and 2 temperatures:

Winds:

1. I get wind either near departure or near the mid subsonic step if exists at FL240 and estimate the component
  2. I get wind near acceleration point at FL340 and estimate the component.
  3. I get wind near Mach2.0 reached point at FL450 and estimate the component.
  4. I get wind near TOD at FL600 and estimate the component.
  5. I get wind either the mid subsonic step if exisits or near the destination airport at FL240 and estimate the component
  6. I calculate the average component for all these values.

Temperature:

1. I get temperature near the Mach2.0 reached point at FL450
  2. I get temperature near mid supersonic leg at FL450 (You can also calculate intermediate temperature between FL450 and FL600)
  3. I get temperature near TOD at FL 600.
  4. I calculate the average of these three.

I know it is fastidious, but more realistic for real WX as for AS.

In the future, I will implement a feature which will get winds component and temperature from NOAA directly as do PFPX, but It is a very complex task needing NOAA Grib files decoding functions.

Hope this help

Cheers

Pierre

Eastern

Pierre and Ramon,

Thank you for this amazing tool and support. It really has changed the way I fly Concorde X. It was just a few weeks ago I took my son to Le Bourget Airport to admire F-WTSS and F-BTSD and could not wait to get home and fly her virtually. CPS has brought back the fun of planning new exciting routes.

Merci beaucoup,

Rob

Pierre Chassang

Pierre and Ramon,

Thank you for this amazing tool and support. It really has changed the way I fly Concorde X. It was just a few weeks ago I took my son to Le Bourget Airport to admire F-WTSS and F-BTSD and could not wait to get home and fly her virtually. CPS has brought back the fun of planning new exciting routes.

Merci beaucoup,

Rob

Hello Rob

Many thanks for kind words.

I'm glad you could see the real aircrafts in Le Bourget from which I live at 20 minutes with car.

I often go there to see them because I've worked at Aerospatiale from 1969 to 1997 and my first task there was Concorde during 4 years.

I really love that bird. That's why when I saw that no planning tool for her existed on FS, I decided to create one.

It is not perfect, but message like your and the help from Ramon, Maxime, and some others passioned peoples, give me energy to continue and improve CPS.

Stay on line because new feature will be added in a near future which you surely like.

Thanks again for support this project.

Kind Regards

Tigerhawk

Not sure if this has been covered in the previous 11 pages, but the P7 settings have a small bug. The settings computed are 39.6 for engines 1-3 and 39 for 4. However due to there only being 2 digits in the Eng 4 parameter the Sim (FS9 - SSTSIM) has loaded it as 3.9. Not sure if the same happens with FF as well as I haven't done any calculations that end up with a whole number.

Pierre Chassang

Hello Tigerhawk,

I will see that ASAP and when fixed, publish a new version on the blog.

It will be 1.9 before I include inflight Fuel management and descent calculator. Then It will become version 2.0.

Thanks for report

Best Regards

Pierre Chassang

Hello Tigerhawk,

I've tested CPS with P7 set at 39.0 and everything seems good.

Can you give me more informations, please?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Tigerhawk

Hi Pierre,

I didn't actually fly the plane, I just noticed that the P7 gauge was set at 3.9 rather than 39.0 after I uploaded the data to the sim from CPS. What difference this would make in actual flight/takeoff I don't know!

Thanks

Pierre Chassang

Ok Tigerhawk,

The next time you have this issue, please could you take a screenshot of the P7 gauges and print the flight package for the flight in pdf format.

Then send me them.

If there is a bug, we'll find and fix it...

Best Regards