Top Posters In This Topic

• Pierre Chassang

• Ray Proudfoot

• Ramón Cutanda

• Steve Prowse

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Captains, Please have a lokk here:

Dear Captains, Next Wednesday I will meet an ex-Concorde real life pilot. I will discuss with her of several Concorde X vs real aircraft differences. During development, she already

Concorde Performance System X: http://concordeperformancesystem.org/   Concorde Performance System X (referred to as CPS-X hereafter) is a standalone utility which can be used with SS

Posted Images

Pierre Chassang

Dear Captains,

Next Wednesday I will meet an ex-Concorde real life pilot.

I will discuss with her of several Concorde X vs real aircraft differences.

During development, she already gave me hints but not heard by team.

I know Andrew is open mind and will correct some little bugs in the future SP3.

I will be back next Monday with interview results.

Always working on CPS

Pierre

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
Pierre Chassang

Hi,

I'm back late with the interview result. So sorry for the delay.

Interview results :

Concerning the Ballast fuel, it has never been used for all flight performed by my friend.
Dispatch always load aircraft to avoid its use.
In theory, the CPS Ballast approach is good. The only point of disagreement is the transfer amount should be interpolated instead of directly extracted from table causing differences in mean values.

She asked me why don’t having ability to set Ballast manually. This will allow to set CG at 53% instead of range border. This is a way I will explore very soon.

I will also add the Ballast weight display next to landing fuel transfer for better understanding.

Ballast in T9 could only be used with a TO fuel less than 34000 kg. If over, T9 was full and couldn’t receive Ballast.

I learned that today the Ballast on many airlines liners is replaced by tankering when fuel is cheaper at departure than at destination.

As we’ve discussed, the Ballast has to be in T11 only in approach phase to return the CG in range, then transfer sets CG to 53%. During the flight, it is located anywhere in the tanks.

Now let’s see the descent procedure:

Air France pilots followed the FCOM procedure accurately, neither more or less.
The AFCS ITEM are not simulated in Concorde X, so we don’t talk about them.

PA set to ALT HOLD and MAX CLIMB MAX CRUISE lights off.
ENGINE RECIRCULATING VALVES set on OPEN.

The recirculation valves allow the recirculation of fuel from downstream of the engine and CSD oil coolers back to the engine feed tanks. This maintains the cooling flow of fuel across these coolers when engine feed flow is reduced by the engines low demand for fuel.

The first TLA used was 18 – 24° in accordance with Delta ISA:

More than ISA-10: 18°.
Less than ISA-10: 24°.

This is the most important bug in ConcordeX simulation. The AT is very low responding than the real one.
In real life, the throttles were moved back as they were at noise reduction time.
The TLA detent was set to right position and the levers could be moved fast until they are stopped by detent.

My friend agrees with the fact that Concorde X travel far too much distance before slowing down.

FEED TANKS 1 & 4 switch set NORM. This will maintain T1 and T4 as near as full level as it can be.
FORWARD TRANSFER to 55%. T11 hydraulic pumps blue and green set OFF.

When reaching the selected descent speed which could be 380, 350 or 325 kt Autopilot IAS HOLD must be engaged. So the pitch angle will ensure the speed stability.
Here again Concorde X has bug because the flight control response is too long and the aircraft overspeed, then the pitch decreasing, it reaches an almost level-off flight travelling a useless long distance before pitching down again, overshooting the selected speed and so on…

Set ALTITUDE to the subsonic level or next ATC level.
Set IAS to the

Air France GenOps prohibited the idle throttle position during descent because when reaching the subsonic level, the engines risk a thermal shock.

When aircraft decelerates to M1.6, set TLA to 34° (same problem here concerning the slowness of reaction of AT).

The TLA 34° doesn't corepond to about 78%N2 as set in Concorde X. I've improved the N2%/TLA scale from French FCOM and the result is nearest 80.6%N2 than 77/78%N2.

Set ENGINE FLIGHT RATINGS to CLIMB.

Reaching M1.3, set PRESS STATIC HEATERS to ON.

Check RAMPS are up position and SPILL DOORS are closed.

When Concorde X passes though the speed of sound in both direction, the shock wave causes a wide variation of air pressure in vertical speed sensors providing a wrong VS value during a few seconds.
So you should engage PITCH HOLD just before M1.0 and ALT ACQ, IAS HOLD just after. (In both direction) This avoid a discomfort to the passengers

Avoid bank angle more than 10° between M1.50 and M.93 near protected areas inside the turn.

At M1.0 move back throttle levers to idle.

If a Subsonic step is planned, maintain M.95 and CG 55% with PA engaged.

When Concorde is slower than M1.0, it may be piloted as a classic liner.

My friend told me she would prefer manually piloting Concorde than B747.
It was softer and easiest and more maneuverable, even at low speed.
Engines had more reactive because the thrust vs weight ratio wasn’t the same and thy spool up and down more quickly.

Some other little things to correct in Concorde X:

• When engines don’t run, and with fuel pumps in prestart configuration, the engine 3 burns fuel (!).
  • Pitch datum behavior could be improved.
  • The standby airspeed / Machmeter indicates wrong values at high speeds.
  • As existed in SSTSIM, a French version of clock would be desirable.
  • Land2 land3 F indicator seems not functional.
  • Anti-ice is not realistic.
  • ENG 4 T/O N1 limiter seems not efficient when set to 88%.
  • Inflight reverser seems not realistic when activated and they are often disconnected without reason.
  • CAT3 AUTOLAND and GO AROUND lights seems don’t work.
  • I never seen Autoland red light ON.
  • Aircraft deviation lights are not reliable.
  • Landing gear latch sometimes doesn’t work.
  • English timer fast setting is really too fast.

Hope this help.

Cheers

Pierre

• Like 1
Brian Furlong

I know the AT issue is being worked on for the next service pack.

As for the interview, fantastic. Very informative.

Something i found interesting was the "avoid bank angle more than 10° between M1.50 and M.93 near protected areas" as it is also mentioned in the BA concorde manual. Except it is between M 1.00 and M 1.30, due to "undesirable boom focusing" and "performance penalties".

One question though, I had once heard that upon reaching 47,000 feet, Air France would set the throttles to idle in order to expedite the transition to subsonic speeds, is that true?

Pierre Chassang

Hello Captains,

The interview answers that question:

Air France GenOps prohibited the idle throttle position during descent because when reaching the subsonic level, the engines risk a thermal shock.

Of course, engines were set to idle once reached less than M1.0.

Cheers

Pierre

Jean L. Leborne

Thanks for reporting the interview Pierre.

In the "Some other little things to correct in Concorde X" list, one point is missing at least :

- the Back Beam mode is not modeled in Conc_X. I guess it was available in the real Concorde

No need to remind us about the fact that Back Beam is no longer allowed in European airspace. The only question is : was the Back Beam mode available or not in the real AF or BAW Concordes ?

Thanks

Jean-Louis

from the Conc_X manual page 73.

BACK BEAM Push Button Light (White)
This mode is specific to the flight director and can only be used with the autopilot
disengaged.
Pressed - permits tracking of an ILS localiser front or back beam, in the reverse direction
to the ILS front beam QDM (magnetic bearing to a station under no wind conditions),
provided that the front beam QDM is selected on the VOR LOC REF selector.

• Like 1
Pierre Chassang

Hi,

The BACK BEAM mode was available on AF Concorde.(Real life Concorde pilot confirmed)

You are right, the BACK BEAM is only available in FD mode.

If AP is engaged, the BACK BEAM selection disengage the AP.

Engage this mode only when near the LOC axis (HSI LOC active)

Cheers

Pierre

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pierre, Since the latest update I seem to have lost the fuel bias entry from the fuel planning tab. I am using FS9 only. On the report tab it is stating a bias of 120%, as this was the last one I used before the update. Can you help?

Dave

Hi again Pierre,

Yes, it was at the bottom of the fuel planning page for FS9 in previous versions, but in 3.00.103 there is nothing below the Average Wind Component Box which is where it used to be.

Dave

Pierre Chassang

Hello

I've resized the GUI and the editor and label concerning fuel bias were hidden in the last release.

So sorry, I upload a corrected exe ASAP

Thanks for report

Cheers

Pierre

• 1 month later...
Martin Tornberg

I have a problem with version 3.0.0.103. After I have added a route and then select it via the "load..." button and select it I recieve the following error message: "HTTP/1.1 500 server"

I have tried to make a complete uninstallation without luck and the problem is still there, does anyone have the same problem?

Ramón Cutanda

Yes. Same problem here. It seems it has to do with some sort of server connection. Everything was OK until a couple of days ago, and then all routes, even those working before, stopped working. If I am not wrong error "500" means a bad configuration of the server. In my case the error is (or was) HTTP/1.1 404 data file not present. The infamous 404 kicks in when requesting a web page which does not exist in the server.

Hopes Pierre can have a look at it.

Bests,

Pierre Chassang

Dear users,

So sorry for late reply, I was not at home since a few weeks.

Concerning the HTTP errors, would you check the CPS.cfg file (editing it in notepad).

You should find the followinf line at the end of the file

If they don't exist, please add them.

This should fix the issue.

If exist let me know.

Happy New Year to all

Pierre

Ramón Cutanda

Hello Pierre,

In my CPS.cfg file I had this:

GribSource='http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/filter_gfs.pl'

WxChartsSource='http://www.aviationweather.gov/data/iffdp'

MetarSource='http://www.ogimet.com/display_metars2.php'

Please do note the single quotation mark (') at the beginning and end of ghe "GribSource" URL.

I tried to remove it but, unluckly, I got the same result.

Bests,

PS: I also tried adding the single quotation mark to all the other lines with same negative result:

GribSource='http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/filter_gfs.pl'

WxChartsSource='http://www.aviationweather.gov/data/iffdp'

MetarSource='http://www.ogimet.com/display_metars2.php'
joshfellows1997

Nope I still get the same error even though its 404 now data file not present I have done what you said they are there I even went onto the websites and copy and pasted the links to make sure they are correct but to no avail

Pierre Chassang

Hi,

In the CPS.cfg, There is no qotation mark.

Please try to delete them and report please.

Is the message appears when loading departure airport or when loading route?

Thanks

All the best

Pierre

Pierre Chassang

Hello dear users,

After investigation, it seems the issue comes from NOAA web page reorganization.

As I'm reconfiguring my computer, I have no more the development tool installed (for now).

So, in the mean time, please use custom WX option in the control panel as walkaround.

All the best

Pierre

Pierre Chassang

Hi again,

NOAA has changed Web WX request syntax, that's why CPS is no more able to read the data.
Fortunately, there is just to change that syntax into CPS code to fix the issue.

So as soon the development tools will be reinstalled, I will be able to fix the issue very quickly.

Sorry for the convenient.

Friendly Yours

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Getting a problem with the latest version. I have changed the line in the cfg file, but am getting the following error message:-

"n'est pas une valeur en virgule flottante correcte

Can you help please?

Hi Pierre,

I start CPS, enter the departure airport.

When I load a plan I get the error message as above.

The ground distance is given, but nothing else, nothing on the map, or in the route log.

Thanks for your help

Dave

Jonathan Fong

What kind of flightplan file must be loaded?

I export with PFPX to FSx flightplan. But it doesnt show when loading flt plan in CPS.

Thanks

I'm using PFPX without issues... Just using it for exporting and nothing else (at least for Conc).

Hi Replica17,

Please read manual.

Best regards

Pierre

I have tried that. doesnt show anything. The file is there if I look through explorer.

Its called EHAMKJFK.PLN

Pierre Chassang

Hi,

Did you ADD the route before load it.
The routes readable by CPS must be "S-EHAMKJFK.PLN format. This is done after you ADD the route into CPS.

Please report

Best regards

Pierre

Hi,

Did you ADD the route before load it.

The routes readable by CPS must be "S-EHAMKJFK.PLN format. This is done after you ADD the route into CPS.

Please report

Best regards

Pierre

Hello, got it working now thanks.

But I'm getting a http 500 error..

already checked the cfg file