cpt.ghost24

They are still a work in progress .

But as soon as I finish them i will upload the stl files to thingeverse.

Im trying to find away to position a pot in the reverser lever ,

shouldnt be to hard ,just need the time.

the main thrust lever is already done with a potentiometer installed.

heres a couple of pic`s I took of what I have constructed.(luv this 3d printer)

all prints done on Makerbot replicator2 at low res.

http://i973.photobuc...14/grwx2/T1.jpg

http://i973.photobuc...14/grwx2/T2.jpg

MCDU keypad and frame next.

Now this is amazing! Never knew such a thing existed...3d printing! The future for our side stick looks good indeed! Good work guys!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jordan Chin

• cpt.ghost24

• Vonduck

• Chris Hulme

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got the Extreme 3D Pro and I use it left-handed all the time. It's fine, I just only enable the trigger for PTT and the right-hand top button for AP disconnect and turn the rest off. We had

blank  

Had a steering tiller printed now, spray painted it black, as well as the sidestick. Next plan is to mount them together in a box painted up li

Posted Images

Chris Hulme

I also had a reply from Peter at FDS. He requested I post this.

Any chance I could have you post in that thread that this link is an old "orphaned" product page.The product was deleted from our line in approx 2008... I would appreciate any help on this as I get 2-3 emails a week for this old stick and I need to kill that if possible. Our old web guy is not around and we are struggling to find where this link is sitting on our server oddly enough
Jordan Chin

ok so guys any updates on the sidestick?

I started modelling, but I haven't gotten any specific dimensions for the stick yet. I'm getting those shortly :). Will post some screens of the progress when I have something worth showing xD.

Jordan Chin

Here are some pictures with where I'd like to get the dimensions of:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_nfcDqovkQsOHVoNkJhcXE3SVk/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_nfcDqovkQsT1luc0VtTzI3ZGs/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_nfcDqovkQsOU15VFo1RE9hR1U/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks if anyone could get me these measurements and angles :). I have a rough model so far but I just need correct dimensions. I used 8x4 in to do the draft, will post some shots of that shortly.

Jordan Chin

Sweet! Thanks, these'll help nicely! :D

Here's some progress:

Untitled.png

cpt.ghost24

looking great guys, now after this is done and 3d printed please let me know how you can get it to me for the moulding and then hopefully in less than a month we can have the cheapest A320 sidesticks available :D

What you do is a kind of piracy :rolleyes::ph34r: is like copying of software . Anyone make a copy is not problem, but to sale it to more that one is not OK !

Do not think that the copy is cheaper as the original . Is not so simple as seems to be. The best is to buy it and in a cause you order more as two sticks the price is lower . Ask producers and I'm sure you receive support ! I have the sticks and the tillers to .

What you do is a kind of piracy :rolleyes::ph34r: is like copying of software . Anyone make a copy is not problem, but to sale it to more that one is not OK !

Do not think that the copy is cheaper as the original . Is not so simple as seems to be. The best is to buy it and in a cause you order more as two sticks the price is lower . Ask producers and I'm sure you receive support ! I have the sticks and the tillers to .

Huh???? Actually, the inception of this was driven by the mandate "no profit to be made by anyone"...what ever the cost involved is, it will simply cover the cost of postage and the item... many inquiries were tabled to FSD and we even asked if we could mold there side stick... their lack of reply indicated the answer was 'no' hence a kindly soul has decided to model one and produce it in 3D... i am not sure what item you are referring too when you say 'order more as two sticks the price is lower'... if what you are referring too is as low as 'cost' price then by all means tell us!

Francois Goudal

Moulding an actual airbus stick, or one of the sticks that a company sells would indeed be piracy.

Making your own, from scratch, even if you are trying to make it look like an already existing one is not.

The idea here is that someone has started to model a sidestick in a PLM software, based on pictures of a real stick. Then when this is done, we are going to print it with a 3d printer, and mould it so we can duplicate it, and possibly sell them. How is that piracy ?

We didn't illegally get access to data (such as design files from airbus), we won't simply duplicate (by moulding) a product that a company, such as FSD, sells (and FSD no longer sells it anyway...). We are simply making our own sidestick from stratch, with the intention that it looks as close as possible to the real Airbus one, and it won't be advertised as a real airbus part, but as a clone of the A320 stick which you can use for simming purposes. I don't think this is infringing any laws.

Jordan Chin

No. First of all, I'm using FREE software to model the stick (Blender). Secondly, I'm using ONLY pictures I've been given as reference and NOT specific blueprints. The 3D model was never intended for commercial purposes, say to be sold as a training device for example, but for the simming community, which is for entertainment purposes. What I model is a clone as also stated by Fanwe.

Piracy would be making a mold of the original stick from an Airbus aircraft or from FDS and THEN selling those, but what we are making a mold that is an approximation of the real thing BASED on pictures and measurements gathered from SCRATCH. So all in all, it's just a clone and is NOT branded as a 1:1 replica of the real thing.

Moulding an actual airbus stick, or one of the sticks that a company sells would indeed be piracy.

Making your own, from scratch, even if you are trying to make it look like an already existing one is not.

The idea here is that someone has started to model a sidestick in a PLM software, based on pictures of a real stick. Then when this is done, we are going to print it with a 3d printer, and mould it so we can duplicate it, and possibly sell them. How is that piracy ?

We didn't illegally get access to data (such as design files from airbus), we won't simply duplicate (by moulding) a product that a company, such as FSD, sells (and FSD no longer sells it anyway...). We are simply making our own sidestick from stratch, with the intention that it looks as close as possible to the real Airbus one, and it won't be advertised as a real airbus part, but as a clone of the A320 stick which you can use for simming purposes. I don't think this is infringing any laws.

Agreed!

Edit: More progress! Gonna fine tune the dimensions and shapes. Should have this done and ready for you guys soon! Should I model the AP disconnect button and the radio trigger too?

Untitled-1.png

cpt.ghost24

No. First of all, I'm using FREE software to model the stick (Blender). Secondly, I'm using ONLY pictures I've been given as reference and NOT specific blueprints. The 3D model was never intended for commercial purposes, say to be sold as a training device for example, but for the simming community, which is for entertainment purposes. What I model is a clone as also stated by Fanwe.

Piracy would be making a mold of the original stick from an Airbus aircraft or from FDS and THEN selling those, but what we are making a mold that is an approximation of the real thing BASED on pictures and measurements gathered from SCRATCH. So all in all, it's just a clone and is NOT branded as a 1:1 replica of the real thing.

Agreed!

Edit: More progress! Gonna fine tune the dimensions and shapes. Should have this done and ready for you guys soon! Should I model the AP disconnect button and the radio trigger too?

Untitled-1.png

hmmm i'm not sure how that works, we might have to find a company that actually produces switches that look like they so we can mount them on the stick but for the model they should be left out i guess. and btw its looking really nice :) good work mate
Gregory Bally

I happen to like the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro joystick... and I know my opinion is shared by several real life bus drivers... (the A320 kind).

Fully agree... I have tried several joystick and always return to the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro, using the twist handle for rudder and a separate saitek throttle... got rid of any other device.... (except a Razer Nostromo for extra keys and hat switch)

Gregory Bally

Can the Logitech joystick be configured for left hand use? I'm very happy with my (left hand) extremely precise Thrustmaster T16000M

Unfortunately, the only way to use the Logitech with left hand, is to turn around, hence you don't face the monitor anymore and flying remains uncertain...

Jordan Chin

Ok guys, pre-final shots. let me know if anything needs to be fixed. Lets see if you can find that mistake I made ;). I didn't realize until looking back at the real shots.

Back-1.png

Front-1.png

Side.png

Top.png

Render-1.png

Francois Goudal

Hi Jordan,

You've done a fantastic job ! Congratulations, and many thanks :)

If we are to 3d-print this, I think there are a few things we need to consider, with regards to the AP DISC button. We should try to identify a pushbutton that we could insert in the stick and that would look as close as possible to the real one. I'd be happy to try finding one, but I'm missing close-up pictures of the button on the real stick so I can find the best match.

Once we have found that button, we will need to make it fit in your stick model, so make a hole of the right shape and size so that the button can be inserted inside the stick.

Finally, we would need some kind of wirepath, so we can have the wires going from the button down to the base of the stick.

Also, as jeff pointed out, do you also plan to model the radio trigger ? If so, then we'd also need to find a way to make it clickable.

Anyway, I suppose those are probably more or less details, after all you've done already.

Quick practical question, could you extract the exact height of the stick from your file ? Just so I know which 3d printer to use (I'm sure I have at least one that can print this, but there's another one which has better accuracy which I would prefer to use but I'm not sure it would fit)

Jordan Chin

Looks really great. Very good job ;)

There is an AP DISC button but no radio trigger. Is that the mistake ?

Nope, I didn't double check the dimensions for the top of the stick, so it's a bit shorter than it should be (2cm in length and 1cm in width to be exact).

Hi Jordan,

You've done a fantastic job ! Congratulations, and many thanks :)

If we are to 3d-print this, I think there are a few things we need to consider, with regards to the AP DISC button. We should try to identify a pushbutton that we could insert in the stick and that would look as close as possible to the real one. I'd be happy to try finding one, but I'm missing close-up pictures of the button on the real stick so I can find the best match.

Once we have found that button, we will need to make it fit in your stick model, so make a hole of the right shape and size so that the button can be inserted inside the stick.

Finally, we would need some kind of wirepath, so we can have the wires going from the button down to the base of the stick.

Also, as jeff pointed out, do you also plan to model the radio trigger ? If so, then we'd also need to find a way to make it clickable.

Anyway, I suppose those are probably more or less details, after all you've done already.

Quick practical question, could you extract the exact height of the stick from your file ? Just so I know which 3d printer to use (I'm sure I have at least one that can print this, but there's another one which has better accuracy which I would prefer to use but I'm not sure it would fit)

If I can the diameter for the AP button that'd be great. I did the button since it'd be easier to cut that part out and replace it with a real one, the trigger would be a bit trickier to do that since it needs to be clickable.That means some hinge and spring mechanism would need to be installed on it to do that. What I could do is model it and then remove from the stick so you could just piece them together in the end. So if you want me to model it, sure I can. I didn't get dimensions for it however, so I'd have to make an estimate about it's size.

About the height, it was about 12cm in height and 11cm in length, that's looking from the side.

Francois Goudal

Hi Jordan,

Do you have the dimensions of the AP DISC push button ?

I found this : http://fr.farnell.com/schurter/0041-9141-3107/commutateur-bouton-poussoir-1-pole/dp/2082856

But I don't know if it has the right diameter and length/course because I don't have the dimensions of the original one.

Also, I have never tried to press this button in a real airbus, so if anybody has some kind of way to describe the feeling of pressing this button (course ? resistance ? is there a clear "click" mid-course ?), it would be good so we can try to find the best match.

Good news is the dimensions of the stick will fit in the 3D printer I have that has the best accuracy, so hopefully we should get something with already a nice finish straight out of the printer, without much post-processing/sanding.

The trigger is indeed a bit tricky. Maybe we can skip it for the "version 1" of this ? I bet that there will anyway be good inputs when this one will be real, so we will most likely have to run through a few revisions until it is perfect. So maybe the trigger can be added in a future revision ?

Jordan Chin

Hi Jordan,

Do you have the dimensions of the AP DISC push button ?

I found this : http://fr.farnell.co...pole/dp/2082856

But I don't know if it has the right diameter and length/course because I don't have the dimensions of the original one.

Also, I have never tried to press this button in a real airbus, so if anybody has some kind of way to describe the feeling of pressing this button (course ? resistance ? is there a clear "click" mid-course ?), it would be good so we can try to find the best match.

Good news is the dimensions of the stick will fit in the 3D printer I have that has the best accuracy, so hopefully we should get something with already a nice finish straight out of the printer, without much post-processing/sanding.

The trigger is indeed a bit tricky. Maybe we can skip it for the "version 1" of this ? I bet that there will anyway be good inputs when this one will be real, so we will most likely have to run through a few revisions until it is perfect. So maybe the trigger can be added in a future revision ?

I don't, but from the data sheet of that button you linked, the bezel looks like it's 10mm and the button is 5.1mm.

This will definitely be version one, I'll keep refining it based on feedback.

And there is nothing like the original,completely wrong.Multiple errors, nothing corectly, but I must refrain .

Please don't mind , but work in vain ! :(

That's fine, I welcome feedback, positive or negative. I don't own nor do I have access to the real thing, I only have pictures to use as reference (some not at the ideal angles, so there's some guess work involved), so it's only natural I make mistakes. You however said you have the stick and tiller, so I welcome your help if you're willing to. Dimensions, pictures or feedback as to what it should look like would be great. You say I have multiple errors, care pointing them out? This will only make the final model better for anyone who would want to use this :).

Thanks for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated, and I don't work in vain because this just helps me get better at what I do.

Flight_1986

Guys this post has boomed since i last posted, wow. Jordan, that is great that you have been able to take this into 3D printing mode, as for piracy far from it. When do you think this will be a final product and ready for printing?

cpt.ghost24

any updates people? i'm ready with the manufacturing infrastructure over here. ready for the 3d model to produce the molded sidestick :D. oh and another thing were going to need F/O and Cpt models. i guess if you mirror the image all will be fine?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Jordan Chin

Sorry guys had to put it on pause, had some projects I had to do for school that took up most of my time (just finished my final semester). So I'll start working again next week when I get my major project done (PHP is like that crazy ex that never leaves). Will post some more shots when I get started again. Until then :)!

Oskar Wagner

And for those who want is "as real as it gets" here's another goodie on that purpose: http://secure.simmarket.com/vr-insight-throttle-a320-pro-(de_7519).phtml No idea about Quality and availability. Funny enough it's not even mentioned yet on VRI's own Website... Admittently it looks quite good although the price might look it a bit worse... :D

Oskar

The only thing i was thinkning about this little project is that my currecnt stick has a POV hat switch for looking around... i was using track-ir but found it cumbersome in my new set-up... but if we want it 'real' then no hat switch eh!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm excited to see that there is so much interest in a highy realistic sidestick. In my diploma-thesis in aeronautical engineering I designed and built two highly rugged and very realistic sidesticks for the A330-Simulator of my university. I am planning to redesign it to optimise the manufactoring costs and would like to build a small series. Highlights would be: USB-Interface (HID) with contact free sensors (no wear), highly realistic force gradients (differ +-5% compared to original), damping (for the heavy feel), ball bearings on both axis and (optional) an electromechanical autoflight locking mechanism (which can be oversteered, like in original).

Comments, suggestions and wishes are highly appreciated! :)

Bastian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! new to the fourm... and I too have been looking for an airbus sidestick, what happend? is the project still on?

Hi guys,

I'm excited to see that there is so much interest in a highy realistic sidestick. In my diploma-thesis in aeronautical engineering I designed and built two highly rugged and very realistic sidesticks for the A330-Simulator of my university. I am planning to redesign it to optimise the manufactoring costs and would like to build a small series. Highlights would be: USB-Interface (HID) with contact free sensors (no wear), highly realistic force gradients (differ +-5% compared to original), damping (for the heavy feel), ball bearings on both axis and (optional) an electromechanical autoflight locking mechanism (which can be oversteered, like in original).

Comments, suggestions and wishes are highly appreciated! :)

Bastian

Sounds great! are you still willing to produce some sidesticks? even a simple mould of your origional one would be great!
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a Jumpseat flight on the 319 today morning (landed at about 2am in the morning). Other than it being one of the best experiences I've ever made, it was also great to move the the throttle and sidestick. I was surprised and I can only agree it had really some weight on it. Expected it to be a little easier to move. Hope to find a cheaper alternative whem the FSL Airbus is released.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Jordan Chin

Thread resurrection time! Ok first thing, I really have to apologize for my late return. Had to deal with school (now a graduate with a degree in Computer Science and a major in Multimedia) and other personal things in my life.

So onto business! I managed to complete the sidestick (Added bonus of the FO's stick too) with the dimensions I was given. Here's how it looks:

Bam!

SRXJPol.png

I can provide the file for 3d printing if you guys are happy with the result above. So I welcome feedback. ***Rememeber I did all this from pictures I found on the internet and were given from a few members here. So this may not be 100% accurate.

Cheers!

• Like 1