cpt.ghost24

Home Joystcick Vs Airbus Sidestick

cpt.ghost24

Ok so i flew the level D A320 sim of my countries airline (Sri Lankan Airlines) and the one thing i noticed straight out(Other than it being the best thing after my first solo flight and my PPL checkride :P) is the fact that the sidestick has some nice weight to it with quite a bit of resistance, being pretty firm compared to our home joysticks, sensitivity wise i think i have it set up the same but then again it is an ever changing factor considering speed and config. anyway long story short would you guys(FSLabs) be giving a super high in depth config for our home joysticks or would you(Pretty please) be coming out with an affordable a320 sidestick that we could purchase and use. Most currently in the market hit the $1000 mark and damn thats way too much for us home simmers(most of us actually).

Lefteris Kalamaras

We have quite a few aces up our sleeve for sidestick control. We're super excited on how we've managed to control it and we think you will be as well :).

cpt.ghost24

oh man now i'm really exited, thanks for the prompt reply :)

Alec246

This makes me regret that I removed the Spring from my Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick. It was so stiff with it, very difficult to do precision flight, now it's much more smooth, but I guess it will not feel like an Airbus SideStick.

Philippe Gleize

This makes me regret that I removed the Spring from my Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick. It was so stiff with it, very difficult to do precision flight, now it's much more smooth, but I guess it will not feel like an Airbus SideStick.

After trying an airbus FFS, I can say that the Warthog is the closest stick to the real one.

• Like 1

Lefteris Kalamaras

I happen to like the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro joystick... and I know my opinion is shared by several real life bus drivers... (the A320 kind).

Brett McInnes

I use that myself has done the distance i just wish it had a better throttle does anyone recomend 1.

Alec246

After trying an airbus FFS, I can say that the Warthog is the closest stick to the real one.

Wow! And they weren't even trying to mimic the Airbus feel. But the All Metal Construction makes this one of a kind, such a good joystick. I'll try putting the big spring back.

Philippe Gleize

I don't have it so I can't tell you sorry

john cookson

I happen to like the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro joystick... and I know my opinion is shared by several real life bus drivers... (the A320 kind).

now i realise why i bought the 3D many add-ons ago !! ;)

lefteris / team, any thoughts on a tiller .... currently use the 3D's twist but would prefer a separate one (at an affordable price).

Lefteris Kalamaras

I use the 3D's twist - not aware of any separate one that's not a homemade one (or an expensive one).

Alec246

I think although feel has a very important part in the flying of the plane, the resolution of the sensor is also very important. Hall sensor is becoming popular now, the precision is much much greater than standard potentiometers, no need to calibrate, no physical connection, so I think all Joysticks made before this technology is due to get an upgrade soon. It's also crazy cheap, I hope someday Logitech starts using them for their products. I have no idea the kind of resolution a real Airbus Stick has, but it must be something like Hall Sensor, with 16bits resolution, I think this gives 65000 points in each axis, much better than the 256 you get from standard 8 bit joysticks, like Logitech, etc

cpt.ghost24

yes lefteris the logitech extreme 3d pro is the one i'm using as well and i also find it is close. no complaints but we need an affordable solution to have a320 style sidesticks. at least find a mold for one we can make at home. that grip is fantastic and certainly better than any other joystick i've used. :D

Lefteris Kalamaras

Well,

it would be affordable if you'd gut two of them, take the twist potentiometer with spring and use that :)

cpt.ghost24

hmm that sounds pretty interesting :D now to only find a 320 sidestick mold and then we can make any amount of sidesticks :D i remember some time ago someone had posted on his website how to do this but he somehow got hold of a retired sidestick. its a matter of filling the sand mold with a mix of chemicals and some colouring and then fixing the trigger PTT switch plus the red AP disconnect switch which is not that hard. oh i found the website

http://www.fscockpit.com/

Alec246

If someone could do an Airbus A320 Sidestick to adapt to the ThrustMaster Warthog Base, which is easy since the joystick was made planning on being upgraded to other kinds of Sticks in the future, that would be the cheapest way I believe to have an almost professional solution. with Hall Effect Sensors 16bits Resolution. The base of the Warthog is Small, so it could fit anywhere.

Norman Blackburn

hmm that sounds pretty interesting :D now to only find a 320 sidestick mold and then we can make any amount of sidesticks :D i remember some time ago someone had posted on his website how to do this but he somehow got hold of a retired sidestick. its a matter of filling the sand mold with a mix of chemicals and some colouring and then fixing the trigger PTT switch plus the red AP disconnect switch which is not that hard. oh i found the website

http://www.fscockpit.com/

You mean something like this? ;)

2012-11-22%2016.30.18.jpg

cpt.ghost24

exactly like that!!! how did you get that if i may ask? :D

Norman Blackburn

exactly like that!!! how did you get that if i may ask? :D

I ordered them (I have both sides) many years ago from FDS. Once I have them drilled and fitted with switches they will meet up with my logitech xtreme3 joysticks.

Vonduck

Yo know... someone could make a great little business out of supplying Airbus joysticks for the FS community.... i investigated trying to buy one but was going to cost $1200 Canadian dollars which is way over the top...

If a supplier could be found who could manufacture the mold to the correct specs, drill the needed holes and make it compatible with any (or almost any Joystick base) joystick base it could be a winner...

A unit with the minimum of user input required to put it together would be the go...

I might just investigate this as stuff like this is pretty cheap to do in NZ (if you have contacts!).. if anyone has any input or suggestions that would be a good place to start!

Ciao

Doug

cpt.ghost24

i dont think they have the "unfinished" sidesticks yet.and yes vonduck we definitely need something like that. Normal how much did they cost you?

lonewulf47

I fully agree on that one for obvious reasons... :D As I also use rudder pedals it would be a great feature to provide a possibility to use the twistgrip to control the nosewheel steering (e.g. as it is seen on the A2A B377 Stratocruiser).

Oskar

Lefteris Kalamaras

Oskar-

while I can't share what we've implemented and what not, I can strongly suggest that there will be separate tiller / rudder pedal functionality :)

Karl Brooker

What a tasty little tid-bit :)

lonewulf47

Oskar-

while I can't share what we've implemented and what not, I can strongly suggest that there will be separate tiller / rudder pedal functionality :)

Sounds yummy :) ! Exactly what makes the fun of operating an A/C on ground also ....

Oskar

Alec246

Oskar-

If I can set my Thrustmaster Warthog Slider Axis for Tiller, that would be so good! Rudder Pedals like in the real plane, giving me just a little Wheel Control to mantain the centerline during takeoff and landing.

Alec246

I wonder if there's a photo of the internals of a real Airbus A320 Side Stick Mechanism. I want to see what they use to produce the feel pilots are used. I think this should be the top priotity for someone who wants to built their own Stick, the shape of it can come later.

Bob Lyddy

I wonder if there's a photo of the internals of a real Airbus A320 Side Stick Mechanism. I want to see what they use to produce the feel pilots are used. I think this should be the top priotity for someone who wants to built their own Stick, the shape of it can come later.

Saw this new company & product being advertised at AVSIM - http://www.premiersim.com/a320-pro.html, it shows a drawing of the joystick...as an example.

Alec246

Wow!!! I would never imagine it would be that complex!! Man... 6 Hydraulic Pistons to give the feel for the pilot, it would be Huge to make one for our own use.

john cookson

Well,

it would be affordable if you'd gut two of them, take the twist potentiometer with spring and use that :)

lefteris

this is similar to my thinking for a tiller (and warmed by the discussions here after asking above) ... disassemble a second 3D Pro, modify / change / replace the grip to a tiller "look alike" and rebuild.

along with rudder pedals / foot brakes and #1 3D Pro as the sidestick - with 2 axis only and the best grip button layout i believe - it would seem a very efficient layout / solution without the cost !!

i wonder if anyone has any sketchs of a 3D Pro's internals which would help a successful rebuild. should be a fun xmas experimenting on the run !!

ft85915

I have the same FDS Side Stick as Norman Blackburn.

But I still have yet to find a good joystick to securely mount on to. :(

UNI_0151s.gif

cpt.ghost24

I have the same FDS Side Stick as Norman Blackburn.

But I still have yet to find a good joystick to securely mount on to. :(

UNI_0151s.gif

wow could you tell me how much that unfinished sidestick cost you please? i really need to get one :D

Vonduck

Hi guys,

I investigated the FSD side stick availability and the rply is that they no longer provide this - only the complete unit... Peter (the salesman) mentioned the following contact as the only one he knows of that could asist...

There is a guy in Romania. RouTech is the name

Hope that helps!

On another vein... what are the chances ...

ft85915

of getting some kind of mold of the side stick you have and sending the mold over to NZ? Of course at my expense!

Let me know...it seems this is harder than i first thought! We will get there though!

Cheers

ft85915

Vonduck: Sure, I personally don't mind making mold or a cast copy of my FDS side stick. However as this is a FDS product, I think it would be best (if you or I) ask for permission to do so. My only condition is that it is not to be resold or reproduced to make a any profit or business out of it. Any charge should be just to cover the cost. Martial, Labor (preferably for free) and P&P. I would need to do a bit more research in to how to make a mold and cast it as I have never done it before.

Vonduck

Thats great ft85915! And of course, it would not be a 'business' so to speak (i already have one of those and absorbs soooooooooo much time!!) just a covering of the costs to make and post such an item to those who are interested in it... every step would be transparent for anyone who desires to know the costs involved for each step...

I will email Peter now and ask it it is allowed to make a mold of the unit...depending on what he says will determine if we can proceed with this...

Thanks for entertaining the notion.. i will get back to you with the reply ASAP!

Cheers

Doug

cpt.ghost24

Vonduck: Sure, I personally don't mind making mold or a cast copy of my FDS side stick. However as this is a FDS product, I think it would be best (if you or I) ask for permission to do so. My only condition is that it is not to be resold or reproduced to make a any profit or business out of it. Any charge should be just to cover the cost. Martial, Labor (preferably for free) and P&P. I would need to do a bit more research in to how to make a mold and cast it as I have never done it before.

if you could let me know the cost for a mold i would definitely pay you for one, as we cannot buy these anywhere it would be nice to be able to make them at home makes for a fun project.

hers a link on how to make a mold. for further info youtube will be of service otherwise i'm sure people are there who do this for a living.

http://www.a320homecockpit.de/00000096221175917/00000096330b5e512/00000097c213ac506/index.html

Vonduck

No reply from FDS as yet.... :unsure:

Flight_1986

This is a great post, I am very interested in getting a sidestick. i live in Chicago and there are no places in the US that make sim parts and i have been in contact with FDS

and they have become more commercial and dont produce any individual items. If you guys determine costs please let me know

Thank you,

Arslan

Vonduck

Well... upshot form the above is that FDS did not return or reply to my question about using there side-stick as a mold for our own use... so i guess the answer form them is a "no"... which effectively means we have no way of getting a mold made unless someone has access to a real one form a scrapped plane.. (long-shot i know!)...

We might be stiff out of luck chaps! Unless anyone else has some ideas to throw into the mix?

Cheers

Doug

Vonduck

Hi there Hans!

I have indeed contacted the Routech in Romania and they had sent me back a reply..

They have a generic montage (as they put it) that can be installed on a Logitech Attack 3 joystick or similar... they have first officer side and captains side to choose from...

Costs are as follows: (This is ONLY for the unit - postage was extra)

EUROS - 179.00 for unit - 30.00 for postage (they would do a deal for 199.00 all up)

USD - $263.12 all up including postage

NZD - $320.89 all up including postage

So... not cheap but cheaper than the complete FDS version...