4X Engine Fire During Transonic, No Failures Active?

Magnus Meese

Magnus Meese

I was taking the lady from LHR to JFK tonight, and everything ran smoothly. Then during the transsonic climb, as I passed aprox Mach 1.25, N2 numbers fell to about 94%, throttles still at full and reheats on. I checked Master Warning, all instruments panels and then went into both FSX and FSLabs Failure pages to clear all failures (No failures was listed as active). A little after the N2 numbers fell to about 82%, and just seconds after, while I was thinking "This can't be good...", all four engines recieved fire warnings and flamed out immideately. Seconds later FSX Flight Dynamics took over and took the plane into a neck-breaking stall. Game over.

Now, I've flown this bird many times, both SSTSIM and Concorde-X, and I followed every step as I've always done, using the same flightplan, checklists and documents. Only one thing was different this time, I loaded the INS waypoints via the Segment feature. This should be irrelevant. The only thing I'm not a 100% sure was carried out normally, is the Engine Bleed / Cross Bleed config. Checking the panel after splashdown though, it was configed properly. (VFE shoudl've been controlling this). I'm not sure I have time for another flight tonight, but if I do I'll take careful note of everything and see if the problem happens again.

So my question is, has anyone encountered this before? Does anyone have a clue what might've cause it? Why was the failure pages clean?

A little more technical data on the incident:

- VFE Enabled, except for Engine control.

- Reheats worked properly until engine flame-out.

- EGT and Fuel Burn was normal up until the flame-out, however EGT was rising slowly as the N2 dropped the second time.

- No warnings or other failure markers illuminated/showed before the flame-out itself.

- Engine anti-ice was not used out of Heathrow. Thunderstorms in the vincinity, but outside temps were good.

All help is appreciated!

Andrew Wilson

Sounds like the intake-ramps were not configured correctly, and the engines would have surged. You may have heard them banging? The result is, as you described if no action is taken, a bust engine that will likely overheat and catch on fire. It's not a triggered failure, per se, so you wouldn't see anything in the failure menus. Rather, a malfunction as a result of flying the aircraft incorrectly configured for that specific phase of flight.

If you notice it happening again - check the intake controls, specifically that the lane computers are in AUTO.

I'd be interested to know if it was indeed the intake ramps if you find out.

Magnus Meese

Probably the ones right there. Forgot about it, but yes I heard them bang before the engines said good bye. What kind of faulty configuration NOT controlled by the VFE (in other words, me) could cause this?

• 1 month later...
David Barnett

Hi Meese, don't know if you ever resolved your issue. I had the exact samer thing happen to me 3x.

Well, glad to have figured out the problem, but it was all my fault. I too had the VFE not controlling engines. As you know, after take-off things are very busy, especially if you are handling some things by yourself.

Well, in my hastiness of flying the plane and doiingthe after take-off checklist, I didn't want to puase for realism; I missed one very import switch on the after takeoff flow.

ENGINE RATING MODE.....FLIGHT. I was leaving it in the takeoff mode, since the VFE doesn't controll those switches. So, the intakes didn't get the proper signals as needed. Went swimming back to Maui a few times till I got it figured out.

Hope it helps.

Best,

David

Have the same problem, in my opinion that situation causes Intake Manual Mode.

Finnaly I made an emergency app at KIAD. This failure appeared exactly in Supersonic Climb.

fsx2012072014321491.jpg

fsx2012072014324436.jpg