'alert Height Cat 3'?

Adam Turley

Adam Turley

Does the virtual FO ever state ''Alert height Cat 3''?

Currently I hear him say 'Alert height Cat 2'? with land 2 indicated. But he also says the exact same thing with land 3 indicated. How would I achieve the correct callout?

Out of interest when Cat 3 - should I get both captions (land 2 and land 3) lit? I get both at the moment - should Land 3 be illuminated on its own when properly set up?

Cheers

Adam Turley

Guest Paul Smith

For the callouts, one of the Dev's would have to answer.

For Land 3, i believe its an either or dependant on mode, and whether the possibility exists to downgrade from a Cat III to a Cat II.

Cheers

Smiffy

Adam Turley

There is a working 'Alert Height Cat 3' sound file in the FSX Concorde X Sound directory - so it appears it's possible for it to play. Question is...under what conditions? I've tried the Rad Alt minimums bug set to different values, but still get the 'CAT 2' call out.

Cheers,

Adam.

Andrew Wilson

Hi Adam,

I've had a look and the code is definitely there to play the Alert Height Cat 3 call, when on a LAND 3 approach (both autopilots).

If it still isn't working for you, I'll have a go at a LAND3 approach here.

• 2 weeks later...
Adam Turley

Sorry to revisit this Andrew, but I can't get the call out to work. It's not that big a deal, but do you think you can work it out your end?

Just to confirm I've got both LAND 2 and LAND 3 lights illuminated, and autoland works fine - but always get 'Alert Height Cat 2'....

Cheers,

Adam.

• 4 weeks later...

Andrew,

It would really help my OCD if we could work this out. I've just been practicing autolands all afternoon instead of the LHR-JFK I had planned, and I get the 'Cat 2' callout every time.

At first I thought the solution might be to set the DH' alert to 15ft. I believe this was the Cat 3 DH used by BA. However this didn't work. I've tried setting the ESS split switches and SSB switch in different orders, I've tried arming LAND and VOR & GLIDE mode in different orders. The result is always the same - LAND 2 and LAND 3 illuminated, but no cat 3 voice.

There must be a specific trigger, could it be an external trigger? The FSX weather perhaps? Very unlikely I think. Could it just be the sound file is there but the code was never implemented?

Regards,

Adam.

• 3 years later...
Adam Turley

Sorry to drag this post up again, but what with the current issue of hotfixes you might be able to look at it?

I still can't get the 'Alert Height Cat 3' call to play for an autoland. I'm definitely Cat 3 as per correct green lights etc. What exactly are the requirements for the call to play? I'm using a DH of 50', as this is the CATIIIA DH height I use at my airline for the 737. Would this still be correct for Concorde?

Cheers.

Adam

Ray Proudfoot

How is the Concorde to land? I have only ever flown a new A319 with very easy landing. Does the Concorde have autoland?

Of course. You should cancel auto-throttles and autopilot at 15 feet otherwise the aircraft will crash.

Adam Turley

Of course. You should cancel auto-throttles and autopilot at 15 feet otherwise the aircraft will crash.

Not quite, you should disconnect the autopilot when the main gear touches down. You then slowly lower the nose gear to the runway. The auto throttle will disconnect itself either shortly after touchdown or when reverse is selected (can't remember which...). There is no rollout guidance autopilot mode, hence the need to disconnect at touchdown. There is a rollout guidance cue on the ADI however to follow manually. The Concorde was limited to CATIIIA autoland (typical DH 50', but 15' for BA Concorde ), rather than the more capable CATIIIB.

My original question still stands though and the procedualist in me would love to know...how to generate the 'cat 3' from the FO.

Ray Proudfoot

Adam,

Moot point. A/P off at 15ft won't cause an issue. Better off then than any possible issues if left on until gear touches.

Throttles should be closed at 15ft. On main gear contact press F2 to engage idle reverse. Four blues will blink briefly.

When nose wheel touches down engage reverse thrust and manually brake. Yoke forward.

Can't answer your other question, sorry.

Adam Turley

Adam,

Moot point. A/P off at 15ft won't cause an issue. Better off then than any possible issues if left on until gear touches.

Throttles should be closed at 15ft. On main gear contact press F2 to engage idle reverse. Four blues will blink briefly.

When nose wheel touches down engage reverse thrust and manually brake. Yoke forward.

Can't answer your other question, sorry.

Ray, you're correct as far as FSX is concerned. To be honest though, as we're talking about simulating real world as realistically as possible, you definitely wouldn't disengage the A/P at 15ft. If you did it wouldn't be an autoland would it. I've not experienced problems in FSX doing this. Regulatory requirements and airline SOPs demand autoland when weather is below vis and/or ceiling minima for a reason. The autothrottle should reduce thrust to idle at 15ft, you should disconnect both A/P and A/T at touchdown.

Thanks

Adam

Ray Proudfoot

Adam,

Not sure how many differences there are between the real world Concorde and the modelled one in FSX. Also, difficult to hit all those switches within a second or two without FE or co-pilot.

Anyway,good luck in your quest.

• 2 weeks later...
Adam Turley

Adam - are you able to reproduce this issue at any airport in particular?

You have LAND 3 (green) on the WLD?

I do most of my 'test' flying at East Midlands EGNX on to RW27. I've tried EGLL as well, no joy.

I confirm I've got the correct setup and LAND 3 lights on the WLD. Can you not reproduce the problem? It says alert height cat 3 for you?

Is the code purely that LAND 3 is announciated? It's not linked to the selected DH at all?

• 3 weeks later...
Adam Turley

Adam,

This is fixed for v1.32. Thanks for your help.

That's great. Thanks for the quick turn around on this - 3 years 6 months - haha. Only kidding I guess, great work, looking forward to it.