Lefteris Kalamaras

The A320 - A Small Update...

Lefteris Kalamaras

Hi everyone,

I know a lot of you have been posting questions, requests, demands and even threats (!) about updates on our A320 development status, both here in the forum as well as via email to our support@ and info@ email accounts.

I wanted to take a little time to give you a small heads-up of where we stand, in a (futile) attempt to feed your hunger for information - in fact, I am simply buying a bit of time before Smiffy has to come knocking on my door again (banging, is more like it), pulling his hair out and saying that "you REALLY need to give an update - I can't take it any longer!!!"

You already know that we've been neck-deep in development for the past months, working on what we think is the most advanced simulation of an A320 aircraft that will have ever hit the desktop sim market.

Here's some details on stuff you might not have heard up to now:

- We have implemented an entirely new code library to allow our aircraft systems to communicate with each other via ARINC 429 protocol variables. The advantage of this implementation is two-fold: 1) We can very closely simulate the real aircraft's functionality, as in most cases, it means we read schematics and diagrams of the actual aircraft and plug the 'wiring' directly into our code without any code logic translation, and 2) we can potentially share these variables (as in the real aircraft) over a networked environment. Our aim (although we will not promise this until we are certain it's feasible) is to allow you to not only fully share the cockpit with another pilot, but also allow for multi-PC expansion of the panels, systems and gauges.

- We have invested hundreds of hours in various A320 Class D simulators, as well as tremendous amounts of time in the real aircraft (via our extraordinarily helpful technical advisors) to collect a huge amount of engine data. This allows us to achieve very accurate numbers in our engine simulation - which we've moved entirely away from the default FSX engine structure (and limitations).

- The flight model is being worked to match the behavior and patterns based on our observations and data from the Class D sims - our engine and flight model developer has been spending hours and hours refining and honing the system, which is an ongoing process throughout development and will continue into our beta testing period.

- Our aircraft FMGS is done entirely from scratch, based on the complete specs and schematics we have been so fortunate to be allowed access to. As such, we have been modeling the FMGS database using the full ARINC 424-19 protocol specifications, allowing ourselves flexibility to convert (and load) the exact monthly AIRAC database cycle that real aircraft load into their systems. This also allows our A320 to load and provide all possible leg types in our flight plan (yes, that means procedure turns and accurate holds - but also the complete sets of SIDs and STARs that are published with the monthly cycle).

- External and internal sound sets have been recorded in amazing accuracy with very modern equipment in the Class D sims, but also in various airports world-wide, blended with the latest 3-D audio technology we've inserted into our code.

-

I could go on with details (and I am sure some of you would really love me to) but I won't, as I am sure you all would love to be surprised with the end result as well! Instead, I will put up a first picture of where we are at the moment. (It's a nice opportunity for you all to bring out your magnifying glass and go through each pixel to berate us on "this, that and the other!") Before you do that. let me just say that we know there are several items that you might want to see (or you might find are not completed) at the moment, but I humbly ask for your patience on this - we're still in development, remember? :)

Cheers all and thank you for some fantastic support of our products until now! You all are the reason we are doing this! Thanks for being here!

post-13-087736600 1301005969.jpg

Wayne Klockner

Thanks so much for the tidbits...and it's altogether an appetite enhancer! I take it the pic is composed of 2D panels only?

Looking forward to this one.

Jim Blake

Thanks for this update, Lefteris! It looks like you guys will FINALLY give everyone an accurate simulation of the A320 for the desktop PC! :D Bravo-Zulu to you all, and keep up the great work (to be!)

Jim

Jordan Collins

I hope you guys are doing an awesome VC! This is going to be great, at first I wasn't in pressed but it this shows progression on your part and I like that!

queimada

That's cool, guys.

I appreciate that gesture and wouww what a work.

Now i will go back sleeping until your next screen. I am not the kind of people to harass poeple.

Good luck.

Dom Mason

paul H

Cool update, look forward to flying it, I hope you can adapt this to the A380 in time too :)

KiberHD

Thanks for the update, will wait patiently for the next update.

Alec246

I´m very happy after reading this update, it´s all simmers have dreamed since I can remember. The implementation of the 424-19 is just fantastic, what I read made me wonder about a lot of questions, but I won´t ask you all because I´m sure all the other members also have them, and this topic would go nuts, but I´m going to ask the one I ahve asked here before on this forum.

You say you can load the exact same Navdata database the real aircrafts use, that´s Wonderful. My question is, how on earth do you think they´re going to let regular flight simmers use such thing just for FS? Even if they did, I can´t imagine this costing less than 400 dollars for the yearly subscription.

It´s just something that´s been on my mind for a long time. If you have the answer, but you think it´s too soon to say something about it, no problem!

Keep us updated about your product, lots of people are going to enjoy this more and more. Good luck on the project

Paul Golding

Sounds like this could be a very nice Airbus Lefteris, even though you make it seem so complicated ;)

pina

Looking good! I think the displays are too small, at least relativity, maybe reducing the height of the MCP FCU or something, there's something there...

One thing that is very important IMO that is correctly represented is the font! It does look exactly like the real thing, a thing that bugs me in every other airbus addons. That and all the cool stuff already here, of course:P

keep it on!

PanosG

Argoume kyrioi, argoume...ta xronia pernane, den tha zisoume kai 120 xronia!!!

O Geros tou FS.... :lol:

mccoy007

It is really exciting to see the ARINC 429 standard to be implement into FSX, I believe this is the first one isn't it? I can't wait to see the extraordinary results of this work.

Since you mention the aircraft will use full ARINC 424-19 protocol specifications, does it means that the navdata will be handled in another way, which is different from what we experience with most of today's mainstream add-on? And what about adding support for RNP approach procedures?

Regards

Kepti

It looks great guys! Can't wait to have my hands on this, really.

Btw, is the sounds so terrible that you needed to turn "Sound off"? :lol:

Aerlingus231

Lookin great, can't wait to get my hands on a propper A320 for FSX, Is it only the 320 or are other models included?

richard welsh

Hi All, First post, like most simmers I have been extremely disappointed with the efforts of other developers in trying to simulate the A320. I am putting my trust in FSLabs that their product will surpass all others and make the A320 as it should be. richard welsh.

rabee

Glad that this long awaited post has been born !!!

Great job there FSlabs team !

Gregory Bally

Very glad to hear about the systems... I am just a bit scared looking at the 2D panel.... reminds me the old PSS 320 6 years ago..... Ijust hope the VC will be as good as PMDG's with all surface and components modelled in 3D !!!

Efkharisto !

Greg

Jordan Collins

Very glad to hear about the systems... I am just a bit scary looking at the 2D panel.... reminds me the old PSS 320 6 years ago..... Ijust hope the VC will be as good as PMDG's with all surface and components modelled in 3D !!!

Efkharisto !

Greg

that's what I was thinking. The 2D panel looks sooooo old, but I guess they are old technology.

Scott White

Thanks for the update Lefteris. Looking forward to seeing more as you progress.

Scott

Daryl S

Thanks for the update, Lefteris.

As I suspected... there was complaining from some quarters about an update. An update is posted, and those quarters still have to make negative comments. ;)

jesper giortz

Looks fantastic!! And those techs you write about is simply jaw-dropping :-D

Keep up the good work!

Alec246

Please don´t complain about the 2d not looking good! For the first time we´ll have an Airbus with proper system simulation. Look at Aerosoft, and their Airbus, it´s the best looking VC I´ve ever seen, but from what I´ve heard, I couldn´t fly 5min in that machine due to the lack of system realism.

This is not about graphics, it´s about simulating an Airbus, sure they will include a VC, as they did with the Concorde, but I don´t expect it to be the best looking VC for FS ever, because I´m much happier if they spend their time doing the hardcore simulation we´ve always wanted.

Just my opinion!

Gregory Bally

Please don´t complain about the 2d not looking good! For the first time we´ll have an Airbus with proper system simulation. Look at Aerosoft, and their Airbus, it´s the best looking VC I´ve ever seen, but from what I´ve heard, I couldn´t fly 5min in that machine due to the lack of system realism.

This is not about graphics, it´s about simulating an Airbus, sure they will include a VC, as they did with the Concorde, but I don´t expect it to be the best looking VC for FS ever, because I´m much happier if they spend their time doing the hardcore simulation we´ve always wanted.

Just my opinion!

I strongly disagree..... Since making a eye candy aircraft and VC is the "easiest and fastest" thing to do in such a complex airbus project (AirSimmer did it, Aerosoft did it and they showed it quite early in the project compare to systems design, which I agree are unsufficient en sometimes not functionning well (AS). Therefore, if a company manages (and I am very confident FSLabs will succeed) to implement a fully functional Airbus for FSX I think it would be very disapointing not to get a nice enveloppe considering this is do-able.... Don't do what Simcheck did please...

Hope you get my point !

Good luck, Greg

Lefteris Kalamaras

Very glad to hear about the systems... I am just a bit scary looking at the 2D panel.... reminds me the old PSS 320 6 years ago..... Ijust hope the VC will be as good as PMDG's with all surface and components modelled in 3D !!!

Efkharisto !

Greg

Captains,

there's always a downside to posting updates that include visuals, as there will be someone who will reply with a qualitative sentence offering "their opinion" without any explanatory or quantitative justification on what they mean. This will be followed by countless "I don't think so" or "I agree" posts which might serve a purpose to the poster (they feel they have participated in their own way) but makes no headway in serving us to expand or improve on our work.

A good example is the post I quote above. "I am just a bit scary looking at the 2D panel..." - well, ignoring the obviously incorrect usage due to the poster being a non-native speaker (I doubt Greg wanted to say he himself is scary, though I can offer a more informed opinion if he posts his picture :)), I will focus a bit on how this statement helps us... well... not at all.

a ) Why would a 2d panel scare someone?

b ) What was wrong with the old PSS (panel, he means? or company?)

We'd love to read your opinions (it's the "other" reason we post the updates - the "primary" reason being I want Smiffy to stop foaming in the mouth from being agitated by irate users who haven't appeased their hunger for news), but I'd like to ask that you please try to make informative, if not also quantitative statements about exactly what it is that you feel is not up to your standards.

When we get those statements, we'll also ensure that we pass them on to Airbus, as they will want to know what is wrong with their panels too (as our bitmaps are a result of photographic enhancements on source material retrieved from the actual aircraft).

Some might argue (but I won't steer this discussion that way) that "other Airbus addons" have shadows etc. in their 2d bitmaps, for a more 'effective' view. We elected NOT to use them, as they would only be correct exactly ONCE per day, unless you choose to keep a shallow turn at a speed which might match the rotational velocity of the earth also taking the natural curvature into account - quite a difficult task, but please let us know the parameters once you achieve them! :)

Also - it's a bit unfair to compare apples to oranges (when you mention the competition's virtual cockpit) as you haven't even seen what we have in store for you in that regard.

Thank you for your time - I am now going back to modeling the backup (standby) NAV components, as we want you to be able to use them when you have dual FMGS failures :).

Dave Taylor

Hi Lefteris,

The Concorde X was the best simulation ever IMO. The job you did on that was nothing short of fantastic. I never thought that anyone could further enhance the Koch Concorde to that degree so, I am sure that your Airbus project will be the 'cream on any others cake' when it's finished.

You built up this company out of sheer professional skills (that others didn't fully appreciate) :rolleyes: and as far as I am concerned, you have already sold a million copies already of the A320 from FS Labs.

Your only level competitor is Level-D in flight simulation. Hey Daryl? :D

seafloorwaves

popup display? COOL~

I have to buy another one display to wait for this great bird

yoshimura

unless you choose to keep a shallow turn at a speed which might match the rotational velocity of the earth also taking the natural curvature into account - quite a difficult task, but please let us know the parameters once you achieve them! :)

Seriously, who care ? :blink:

I work with a set-up of half dozen Elinchrom flashes and countless reflectors. For me a picture with no shadow is just lifeless.

And since a picture speaks a thousand of words, please check the VS/FPA knob on both picture and tell me which one look the best :

When we get those statements, we'll also ensure that we pass them on to Airbus, as they will want to know what is wrong with their panels too (as our bitmaps are a result of photographic enhancements on source material retrieved from the actual aircraft).

In graphics, art and photography it's not just about how accurate it is, but also how it's look.

I expect nothing less from the Concorde X makers, than a stunning Airbus in every aspect.

Konstantinos Kioussis

And since a picture speaks a thousand of words, please check the VS/FPA knob on both picture and tell me which one look the best :

The one that works as it should ( and doesn't CTD).

yoshimura

The one that works as it should ( and doesn't CTD).

Can you be more off topic ?

Konstantinos Kioussis

Can you be more off topic ?

but I humbly ask for your patience on this - we're still in development, remember? :)

larshgf

για σου Λευτερι!

Τι κανεις σιμερα;

What an exciting piece of news for me to hear. Airbus 320 in a Hi-Fi version. I'm looking forward to this.

I have the AirbusX from Aerosoft but new models - especialy of high quality is always welcome and will soon find a place in my hangar.

Hope FSL will prepare a meticulous manual for the Airbus too! Unfortunately the documentation is often a weak link in the chain...

Do you need more beta-testers?? If so please let me know!

yoshimura

Konstantinos what Lefteris said :

but I humbly ask for your patience on this - we're still in development, remember? :)

Doesn't seam to apply to the 2D cockpit, since the team is happy with it.

Lefteris Kalamaras

Yoshimura-san,

thank you for your opinion. I'd like to assure you that we have taken it under very serious consideration.

Regards,

Raju

That's just amazing!

Please keep on progressing like this and we hope to see finally a realistic and complex bus for FSX :)

Gregory Bally

Yoshimura-san,

... Leftheris, you're a very well educated man... ;)

lonewulf47

Just my opinion!

I strongly agree! We are so overly fed by eye-candy in any respect! I'm sure we will get a VC and it will be functional and of course it won't look bad at all. What else do we need? Don't we know all of the fantastic eye-candy VC's that are a nightmare in functionality?

Oskar

pina

we want you to be able to use them when you have dual FMGS failures :).

Cool, will they also do this? :P

Capturar2-1.jpg

Or this:P:P

Capturar-7.jpg

That's probably asking way too much, but it would be pretty awesome if it was to happen!

Raju

Well I don't think the 2D is looking bad...

Look at the clearity of the instruments

Kdawg

Looks great guys. I think the whole community has been waiting for a great Airbus for some time now. Excited that you guys have taken on the challenge. Can't wait!

-Kevin M

KiberHD

Shadows or no shadows the knob your pointing at shows us another aspect they forgot at fslabs.

The fact that at the fslabs screen it looks like you facing straight towards every knob. However the second image shows the knob at a slight angle, like you are facing it from a slight angle. Wich makes it looks so much more realistic im my opinion. Also the altitude knob shows this angle, and even the pull std knob looks like your facing it slightly from above.

Daryl S

If you look real closely at the knobs - you have to zoom in - there is text that gives anyone who finds it a FREE copy of the program.

uniuniunium

If you look real closely at the knobs - you have to zoom in - there is text that gives anyone who finds it a FREE copy of the program.

Why is the promotion code "gullible?"