Even more pre-purchase questions

Luis Hernández

Luis Hernández

I've finally purchased another computer (specs in signature) after the recommendations of some of you, and looks like I'll be finally purchasing the bus in the next 2-3 months (after a trip I'm doing). But I have still some questions, and since I'm not yet an user, I can't check in the whole forum:

1) Regarding simulation rates in cruise, how stable is this plane in 8x and 16x? Reason: I already have the Fenix A320 for MSFS, but I rarely fly it because of the (IMO absurd) 2x simrate limit. The Aerosoft buses (which I also have) allow me to keep 8x (if I lock P3D at 30 FPS) or 16x (FPS totally unlocked) without problems. If I can keep 8x at least with the FSL Airbus, it's a go for me.

2) Can I install it into both my desktop and my laptop? My concern is mostly about EULA. Reason: I want sometimes to take my laptop and fly the FSL plane there. I guess I won't be allowed to fly in both rigs at the same time, but that is something I never do. And regarding performance, since I intend to use only the 2D panel in my laptop, I hope FPS won't be an issue.

3) Can I fly the plane without a dedicated throttle lever? Reason: I do have one throttle quadrant for my desktop, but my laptop would use the Xbox controller, for which I have already mapped two buttons to Increase/Decrease throttle.

Norman Blackburn

Hi Luis,

We don't recommend increases in sim rate however you can use 2x without issue, 4x most of the time and 8x with care.  Performance is of course dependant on your specs.  I would question your claim of 16x without problems :) 

EULA does indeed preclude the use on more than one machine at a time however each case is looked at on application.  Generally as long as its one desktop and one laptop - and the installer will know - and you have obtained permission, there will be no issues.   That said, with Control Center its super easy to uninstall and reclaim the license from one, install on another all within a matter of seconds.  When its time to change back again its a few mouse clicks and you are back to the exact same settings as you last had on that machine.

You dont need dedicated thrust lever controls.  We allow use of F1 through F4 to step through the various detents.  

• Like 1
Luis Hernández
On 7/16/2022 at 2:26 PM, Norman Blackburn said:

I would question your claim of 16x without problems :) 

I'm just flying the Aerosoft bus again, just for checking my claims. My apologies, you are right: I only can get stable behavior at 16x without real WX. If I add WX, I'm getting oscillations, up to 300 ft. But at 8x, I can keep VS≈0 with real WX. Altitude never deviates more than ±50ft. If I can do so with the FSL bus, I'll be glad.

Generally as long as its one desktop and one laptop - and the installer will know - and you have obtained permission, there will be no issues.

That's my case (desktop and laptop). How do you obtain this permission?

You dont need dedicated thrust lever controls.  We allow use of F1 through F4 to step through the various detents. 

These are good news. Will F1-F4 allow me to move the throttle "lever" freely between Idle and CL?

John Barnes
13 hours ago, Luis Hernández said:

That's my case (desktop and laptop). How do you obtain this permission?

These are good news. Will F1-F4 allow me to move the throttle "lever" freely between Idle and CL?

A1 A quick email to info[at]flightsimlabs[dot]com     

Will do the trick

A2 In general, F1 and F4 move the throttles up and down between the detents and F2 and F3 will increase/decrease the throttle smoothly.

Rgds

JB

• Thanks 2
Luis Hernández

Well, this leaves 2 out of 3 questions already answered. Thank you very much!

Now the only thing I need yet to be convinced of is the behavior at 8x simrate, with real WX.

Norman Blackburn
1 hour ago, Luis Hernández said:

Now the only thing I need yet to be convinced of is the behavior at 8x simrate, with real WX.

I already answered that.  Real weather or not, if you are using 8x I wouldn’t be leaving things unattended.  No matter what the addon plane is.

• Like 1
Robert Sutherland
19 hours ago, Luis Hernández said:

I've only ever had bad experiences with 8x speed. It's definitely not a good idea. 

Kian Andrews
20 hours ago, Luis Hernández said:

Well, this leaves 2 out of 3 questions already answered. Thank you very much!

Not sure I can see a need for 8x sim rate - 8x rate in a sim is just asking for trouble imo regardless of the addon. However there is a 'Jump Ahead' function which allows you to bypass a lot of the cruise to a given waypoint if you so desire.

Al.so, if you plan to join a virtual airline, the vast majority do not allow any increase in rate.

Luis Hernández
On 7/20/2022 at 12:18 PM, Bob Zolto said:

Also, if you plan to join a virtual airline, the vast majority do not allow any increase in rate

I understand. That's why I never joined one. That's why my Fenix bird is stuck flying patterns..

On 7/20/2022 at 12:12 PM, Kian Andrews said:

However there is a 'Jump Ahead' function which allows you to bypass a lot of the cruise to a given waypoint if you so desire.

What? I never heard about this function. Do you have more info about this?

I've heard about something similar in the QW 787. Is this the same function? I can give it a try there while I make my mind.

Norman Blackburn

Basically after departure you can choose any waypoint, FL, fuel, speed etc and the aircraft will magically appear at this new point.  

On 7/21/2022 at 7:13 PM, Luis Hernández said:

I've heard about something similar in the QW 787. Is this the same function? I can give it a try there while I make my mind.

Yes, very similar to the one in the QW 787 (I don't use it on either as I find a nice steady x2 acceleration is good for my needs {sincerly hoping no VAs are listening as I will need to set fire to the sim if they are :) }