Out of the loop - Which simulator will the new Concorde be created for?

James Burke

James Burke

Hi all,

It's been a few years since I've participated on the forum seriously but I still fly the lovely Concorde on my old P3D V3 and enjoy it very much.

I was happy to see a new version will be developed but with new groundbreaking simulators being released over the last two years I'm a bit lost as to where FSLabs is going in the future.

Will the new Concorde remain with P3D either in the V4 or V5 (Or V6?) versions, or has FSLabs any plans to move to MSFS 2020 (Or X-Plane?)

I'm already setting aside some cash for the ultimate PC to run the next iteration of Concorde on whatever simulator it ends up being :)

Any information appreciated.

Andrew Wilson

Morning James -

Our plans, at this time, are to release our new Concorde title for the P3Dv5 platform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Konstantin Didushok

What about P3Dv4?  Last year, it was announced that the new Concorde would be released for both v4 and v5...

• Like 1
Andrew Wilson
22 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

What about P3Dv4?  Last year, it was announced that the new Concorde would be released for both v4 and v5...

No, v5 or later now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Steve Prowse
1 hour ago, Andrew Wilson said:

No, v5 or later now. 

There will be so many extremely disappointed Concorde simmers, upon reading that news.  Many people bought v4 just to be able to buy and use the new version of Concorde.  

Hugh Morten

Very bad news indeed. I am very disappointed too.

There is no honour anymore - politicians lie, the media lies, games developers lie - even in small communities like ours. For shame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Ray Proudfoot
4 hours ago, Andrew Wilson said:

No, v5 or later now. 

Why hasn't this news been officially announced? I was expecting an announcement about Concorde before Christmas and then before New Year. Nothing.

And if James hadn't asked the question we'd be none the wiser.

Ray Proudfoot
20 minutes ago, Callum McLoughlin said:

Why are people surprised that a developer is not going to release an add on for obsolete versions of P3D?

No version of P3D is obsolete. Scenery can still be purchased for v3 let alone v4. That's the beauty of the ESP engine. Backward compatibility.

I suspect the only reason a v4 option has been dropped is to save time testing on that platform. With the improvements in v5.3 it offers better performance over v4 which remains a very good version. But not as good as v5 with enhanced PBR effects.

Callum McLoughlin

I can still purchase scenery for FS2004….

It is entirely reasonable for a developer to sell products for the platform with the greatest longevity. In terms of P3D, that is definitely v5.3+. The world moves on, and its not FSLabs problem if a few people are not keeping up with sim releases. In all honesty, I am pretty sure everyone who wants Concorde and hasn’t got V5 will end up buying it rather than doing without! It’s their risk to take, and they haven’t discounted release on other platforms / versions.

Steve Prowse
43 minutes ago, Callum McLoughlin said:

Why are people surprised that a developer is not going to release an add on for obsolete versions of P3D?

Emmm…..oh that’s an easy one because they said they would!   If I’m not mistaken development of Concorde version 2 started with P3D v4, so many people bought v4 just for Concorde, TO SUPPORT FSL.  There was no v5 when they started to develop Concorde v2!   Also please note the Airbus is compatible with P3D v4 and V5.  

Peng Jia

Abandoning V4 may indeed be a wise choice, it's just when an offical makes some major desicions,especially when there's a contradiction with the previous statement, it's best to make an announcement in time.

Andrew Wilson
21 minutes ago, Steve Prowse said:

Emmm…..oh that’s an easy one because they said they would!   If I’m not mistaken development of Concorde version 2 started with P3D v4, so many people bought v4 just for Concorde, TO SUPPORT FSL.  There was no v5 when they started to develop Concorde v2!   Also please note the Airbus is compatible with P3D v4 and V5.  

Steve/Ray - 

Development in this industry is incredibly dynamic - primarily the reason why progress is seldom shared with the community. And here is a perfect example of why details are withheld - it is difficult to commit to anything. Any number of things could happen between now and release that could potentially steer the project in a different direction. These are concerns development teams handle constantly in this industry - I can only imagine the anxiety it would cause if we relayed every decision and delay to our potential customers. 

The decision to support P3D v5+ is not one taken lightly. We are, of course, aware of potential customers on the v4 platform. At some point, however, the cost of supporting an obsolete platform is greater than those potential sales. Your argument suggesting customers who purchased v4 were in some way supporting FSL I'm afraid is void; we see no commission from their sales. We have, however, a working relationship with the developers at LM and they have been instrumental in providing support by means of bug fixing and new technologies for us to utilise in our upcoming titles. We cannot offer competitive titles for an obsolete platform - especially at a time when expectations are higher than ever in the community. 

We will have some more Concorde news to share going forward. Right now, the teams are busy at work. Should anyone wish to put any questions forward, we will do our best to answer them. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4
Ray Proudfoot
2 hours ago, Andrew Wilson said:

Should anyone wish to put any questions forward, we will do our best to answer them. 

Just one please Andrew. v5.3 introduced a [JobScheduler] section to the Prepar3D.cfg for fine tuning of the cores on which specific elements of the sim can run.

Will FSL be taking that into consideration? Would you, for example, write your own values to the file or just go with those of the user?

And 18 months after the release of MSFS there has been no announcement from FSL about your intentions for that sim. I’m sure you’ve given it plenty of thought. Have you reached a decision yet?

Konstantin Didushok

This is very disappointing. After it was announced in late 2020 that the new Concorde would be developed for both v4 and v5, I bought the PRO edition of v4 after having tested v5 and determined that it was quite buggy and too taxing on VRAM in its early stage. I did it so that I could move from v3 (I had to say good-bye to Concorde-X at this point) and enjoy better features (such as 64 bit) while waiting for the new Concorde. (And we all expected it to be released in 2021).

In the meantime, all questions on this forum related to news about the development were extinguished by locking the respective threads. And now, out of nowhere (as Ray pointed out, by the coincidence of James asking the question), we learn that the airplane will not be compatible with P3Dv4.

Are you aware of the inconvenience that this information has caused for users who are in the same situation like me?  Now, not only will we have to buy v5, but with it most likely a new video card to allow for higher VRAM (and video cards are currently very expensive). I can understand that development in this industry is dynamic, but if you were not sure in late 2020 about whether you would develop the airplane for v4 or not, then why didn't you state that the decision would be made later during the development process?

I want to point out that P3Dv4 is by no means obsolete; in fact, since it is stable and gets no more updates, you can count on this platform not breaking anything. Also, a lot of high-fidelity airplanes (PMDG, Majestic, and even your own Airbuses) are compatible with both platforms and have no issues being so, even when the airplanes are updated. And I want to remind you that when Concorde-X was released for P3D in early 2016, it was officially compatible with then-outdated P3Dv2.5. (Heck, even FSX was still supported).

I don't know if all of these points will convince you to include v4 in the compatibility list or not, but the only solace to be taken from the circumstances is that when the new Concorde will be released, P3Dv6 may not be that far away...

• Like 2
Andrew Wilson

Hi Ray,

Unfortunately I'm one of many suffering with performance issues on 5.3 where the performance degrades significantly and eventually stops altogether. LM are aware of the issue - I have since rolled back to 5.2. I'm confident they'll find the cause - and we can then look at 5.3 more closely. 

As for MSFS - our position has not changed since Lefteris provided an update here:

News Update

Kian Andrews
54 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

This is very disappointing. After it was announced in late 2020 that the new Concorde would be developed for both v4 and v5, I bought the PRO edition of v4 after having tested v5 and determined that it was quite buggy and too taxing on VRAM in its early stage. I did it so that I could move from v3 (I had to say good-bye to Concorde-X at this point) and enjoy better features (such as 64 bit) while waiting for the new Concorde. (And we all expected it to be released in 2021).

In the meantime, all questions on this forum related to news about the development were extinguished by locking the respective threads. And now, out of nowhere (as Ray pointed out, by the coincidence of James asking the question), we learn that the airplane will not be compatible with P3Dv4.

Are you aware of the inconvenience that this information has caused for users who are in the same situation like me?  Now, not only will we have to buy v5, but with it most likely a new video card to allow for higher VRAM (and video cards are currently very expensive). I can understand that development in this industry is dynamic, but if you were not sure in late 2020 about whether you would develop the airplane for v4 or not, then why didn't you state that the decision would be made later during the development process?

I want to point out that P3Dv4 is by no means obsolete; in fact, since it is stable and gets no more updates, you can count on this platform not breaking anything. Also, a lot of high-fidelity airplanes (PMDG, Majestic, and even your own Airbuses) are compatible with both platforms and have no issues being so, even when the airplanes are updated. And I want to remind you that when Concorde-X was released for P3D in early 2016, it was officially compatible with then-outdated P3Dv2.5. (Heck, even FSX was still supported).

I don't know if all of these points will convince you to include v4 in the compatibility list or not, but the only solace to be taken from the circumstances is that when the new Concorde will be released, P3Dv6 may not be that far away...

Sorry but you said it yourself, v5 was in its early stages. Testing and comparing this early version sim with a stable v4 version was only going to go one way. Also, testing back then for a product that you thought would be releasing 12months later… Why not wait and see what happened with v5? After all LM is constantly developing.

I’m struggling to see why you’d fix yourself to a sim. Particularly based on information so early in the development process. You couldn’t have known how v5 would’ve progressed in the coming months.

We can’t ask FSL to innovate, yet ask they they still support sims approaching 5 years old (as v4 is). Even the latest v4 version - 4.5 - is essentially three years old nearly, as far as I know.

So many P3D versions have seen issues early on. It was never going to be the case that v4 remained superior forever.

• Like 2
Ray Proudfoot

Hi Andrew,

It’s a strange bug and one I haven’t encountered even with a complex Boeing airliner. LM do seem very engaged in finding it so hopefully you won’t need to stay on 5.2 for long.

That post from @Lefteris KalamarasIs 16 months old and references v4 and v5 for Concorde. He might want to revisit that post.

Ray Proudfoot

@Konstantin, I know it’s not much consolation but VRAM usage has been improved with v5.3. At my ‘heaviest’ airport - LatinVFR Miami - the Max VRAM is 8.1Gb with 4096 textures dropping to around 7.4 with 2048 ones. On v5.1 it would run out of VRAM and CTD on my 11Gb 1080Ti. Not now though.

If I recall correctly you have an 8Gb 1080 so that’s an airport you would want to avoid. But in all other respects VRAM problems seem to have been resolved. Even the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG errors can be trapped and ignored with a Registry hack.

James Burke

Hi all,

Thanks very much @Andrew Wilson for answering the question, and apologies for the storm of activity I've kicked up with this question!

I feel for everyone who invested in P3D V4 - I did as well. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to be upset about the news; the various mods invested in can get quite expensive over time.. But after buying V5 it's clear (At least to me) that it's just so much better than V4, not only in terms of graphics but in general stability and performance. V5 actually seems to be able to take advantage of high end gaming components which make for a much smoother, more pleasant experience when hand flying. While not all scenery / other mods from V4 work in V5, many of them can be made to work somehow or other.

Anyway, thanks for the news, and I hope anyone that was hoping for a V4 release comes around and flies on V5 when the Concorde is released, whenever that may be.

Steve Prowse
5 hours ago, James Burke said:

I don't think it's unreasonable for them to be upset about the news; the various mods invested in can get quite expensive over time

Particularly when we read:

"I would be remiss not to mention that development of the Concorde-X is once again well under way and the initial release will be for Prepar3D v4/v5, using latest modeling techniques available in the P3D v5 SDK update. As usual, we don't offer release dates, but we expect to be putting out some more information for you soon."

Lefteris Kalamaras,
October 16, 2020

Now just what part of that would make anyone think FSL were not going to release Concorde for v4 and v5.  Then as if from nowhere we get: "No, v5 or later now."-  Andrew Wilson.   That's it that all we got, no explanation nothing, moreover we were only told that by accident.  I wonder what the reaction from all those 'why are you angry' brigade...if FSL had said sorry Concorde is going to be released for MSFS only!  Definitely the boot would have been on the other foot, then you may come to know just why many people are thoroughly disappointed with FSL.  This whole Concorde v2 development has been nothing short of a complete fiasco from start till now.

David Spaulding

Welp. This is very disappointing. I guess I’m out. I’m not paying to upgrade to v5 just for one aircraft (which by the way has continuously been full of bugs and fixes while v4.5 has been rock solid), which means I’d also have to buy others that require another license to maintain my collection. See you all in MSFS in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2
Ray Proudfoot

@David Spaulding, I must be in a minority because v5.3HF1 is the most stable simulator I’ve owned for many years. The only problem I’m getting is the DXGI one and that can be trapped with a Registry fix. Whether that’s down to LM, Microsoft or Nvidia who knows.

In comparison MSFS is still far from stable 18 months after release. Huge forced updates which frequently cause more problems than they solve. And no access to the wx for 3rd party developers.

And I haven’t even mentioned the SDK. I think you’ll be waiting quite a while before you see quality aircraft in that sim. P3D remains the pilot’s sim whereas MSFS is for those who like looking out of the window.

Konstantin Didushok
13 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Konstantin, I know it’s not much consolation but VRAM usage has been improved with v5.3. At my ‘heaviest’ airport - LatinVFR Miami - the Max VRAM is 8.1Gb with 4096 textures dropping to around 7.4 with 2048 ones. On v5.1 it would run out of VRAM and CTD on my 11Gb 1080Ti. Not now though.

If I recall correctly you have an 8Gb 1080 so that’s an airport you would want to avoid. But in all other respects VRAM problems seem to have been resolved. Even the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG errors can be trapped and ignored with a Registry hack.

Negative, Sir. I only have a GTX1660 Super with 6Gb VRAM, which I bought in August 2020 for 220 Euro. From an investment point of view, I "made" money with it because these days, this card is being sold for more than double the price. However, it works very well with MSFS and P3Dv4, where using good airport add-ons and running a texture resolution of 2048 rarely reaches 6 Gb. I don't think that this video card will cut it for v5, though.

13 hours ago, Kian Andrews said:

Sorry but you said it yourself, v5 was in its early stages. Testing and comparing this early version sim with a stable v4 version was only going to go one way. Also, testing back then for a product that you thought would be releasing 12months later… Why not wait and see what happened with v5? After all LM is constantly developing.

I’m struggling to see why you’d fix yourself to a sim. Particularly based on information so early in the development process. You couldn’t have known how v5 would’ve progressed in the coming months.

We can’t ask FSL to innovate, yet ask they they still support sims approaching 5 years old (as v4 is). Even the latest v4 version - 4.5 - is essentially three years old nearly, as far as I know.

So many P3D versions have seen issues early on. It was never going to be the case that v4 remained superior forever.

When it is officially announced that Concorde will be compatible with v4 and v5, and you are currently using v3, what is wrong with going for a stable v4 version over one that is buggy in its early stage?  After all, you are making an investment of some sort with purchasing a simulator (since you also buy other add-ons that have been upgraded for v4). And no one could have known how v5 would have progressed in the coming months; after all, some people forecasted the death of P3D and X-Plane altogether with the arrival of MSFS. And some developers no longer update their add-ons for v5 that are compatible with v4. But stability has been one thing that you could certainly count on with regard to v4, so I see this as a win situation. And it is not quite true that all new P3D versions are so buggy in their early stages; when v3 and v4 were released, I recall that most users switched to the new version and had overwhelmingly positive things to say.

When Concorde-X was released for P3D, they updated the airplane and kept compatibility with a sim that back then was almost 10 (!) years old (and far from stable). And to people who state that v5 runs well and stable on their system, I am happy for you!  I wish P3D to progress well into the future. However, it is ironic that the developer of Concorde himself, Andrew, is struggling with the performance bug (that has also affected other users, as you can read in forums). I am also confident that LM will resolve it, but I hope that you see how stability in v4 is a very valuable factor.

Ray Proudfoot
2 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

Negative, Sir. I only have a GTX1660 Super with 6Gb VRAM, which I bought in August 2020 for 220 Euro.... However, it works very well with MSFS and P3Dv4, where using good airport add-ons and running a texture resolution of 2048 rarely reaches 6 Gb. I don't think that this video card will cut it for v5, though.

It would be borderline with v5 and that’s before we know how much VRAM Concorde would use so I agree v4 is best for you with that card.

And with the ridiculous price of more powerful cards only the well-off are buying them now. There are indications the circumstances that have caused these problems might ease in the second half of 2022.

https://youtu.be/MgmsB8fWyes

Michele Benedetti

I find P3D v5.3 far more stable than any version of P3D v4 ever was. And when i say far more stable I really mean it. Zero problems whatsoever since it launched. With all FsLabs, PMDG, Qualitywings aircrafts installed and an enormous amount of scenery as well. To me the choice to develop the new Concorde V2 for P3D v5 is common sense. But I also understand those people who bought v4 just for Concorde V2 and now find themselves in a sort of "trap".

• Like 1
David Spaulding
[mention=15585]David Spaulding[/mention], I must be in a minority because v5.3HF1 is the most stable simulator I’ve owned for many years. The only problem I’m getting is the DXGI one and that can be trapped with a Registry fix. Whether that’s down to LM, Microsoft or Nvidia who knows.
In comparison MSFS is still far from stable 18 months after release. Huge forced updates which frequently cause more problems than they solve. And no access to the wx for 3rd party developers.
And I haven’t even mentioned the SDK. I think you’ll be waiting quite a while before you see quality aircraft in that sim. P3D remains the pilot’s sim whereas MSFS is for those who like looking out of the window.

What I said goes completely by me reading from here and Discord about how a new version comes out and then something gets bugged and needs a fix. These complaints are NOT from me. I have not purchased nor willing to purchase v5 because I have no desire to continue to buy a simulator that’s based off of something written since 2006. I already invested heavily on MSFS because I anticipate it is the future and do not want to reinvest again into P3D just for one aircraft that I’ve been waiting to work properly since FSX was not designed for 64bit systems. V4 runs perfectly fine right now for my system. It’s a shame this company has pulled the rug out. That’s their choice. This means just for me to have everything I currently invested in v4 I’d have to purchase v5, FSL Concorde, aircraft without an additional license for v5, and all of my numerous add on airports and utilities to v5 which will add up quite substantially into a version that I see people complain about. Clearly FSL is looking out for their own interests, well so am I. I’m out and not willing to follow their wishes.

Matt Crick

To be fair, people rarely post when something is "working well" for them. There's always an element of "negative bias" on forums and other social-media groups as they are usually full of posts about their problems, and seeking advice on how to fix them. This doesn't mean that a P3D release is fundamentally flawed, and on the occasion that there is a genuine bug, LM have been pretty quick releasing hotfixes.

It's been some time since I made the jump from v4 to v5, but from memory... very few addons (aircraft/scenery) required an upgrade fee. Most things that worked in v4 continue to work fine in v5 (albeit some airports might have been re-released after being recompiled against the v5 SDK and include updated PBR textures). Worst case scenario is some v4 airports need custom "exclusion bgls" adding, but many of these have been compiled by the wider flightsim community and are available as free downloads.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the jump from v4 to v5 isn't as hideous as folks make out... Although I would say that at a minimum, you'll need to have a GPU with at least 8GB of VRAM to have a pleasant time in v5.

I have no doubt that Concorde started to be developed in v4 (as per Lefteris' original announcement), but when v5 was released, it clearly affected the development path. I wouldn't know whether v4 and v5 differ that greatly "under the hood" from a development perspective, but I can see how attempting to release a complex product for two simulators could potentially double the development time. If we ever want to see Concorde released, only coding for the latest platform makes perfect sense. Further more, if FSL need P3D to do something that it currently doesn't, they're going to be far more successful engaging with LM over v5 as they themselves are still actively developing the platform.

Naturally, P3Dv6 could come out of nowhere and throw yet another spanner in the works... but lets hope not!

David Spaulding

And rightly so, their cost expectation for one add on just jumped to six or whatever many items they own that are not compatible. Anyways, FSL reputation may have been only slightly blemished in this decision. Their products of being through and accurate is strong. Regardless, I’ve made my decision. The Concorde and I wasn’t meant to be.

John Barnes

That's a shame to hear @David Spaulding I really think you would embrace the improvements V5 brings.

Yes, it has its quirks (show me a sim that doesn't) and yes, it's another 60 bucks or so but it's a hobby we choose for a reason. 

For me, it's simple. 

1 Your PC gets old

2 Your Sim gets old

3 Your PC gets old once more 

Repeat until dead or doing something else.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
David Spaulding

It’s not another 60 bucks for me to have Concorde 2.0. I have detailed that pretty accurately for someone who can do the math themselves. It is much more than that sir. I respectfully disagree with the fact that you’re portraying. It isn’t THAT simple for some and for that reason is why some here are feeling pushed aside. I simply don’t want to invest so much just for one add-on aircraft when I have invested in something that is becoming beyond P3D. Yes, might not exactly be the best now, but it is making great strides and soon will be beyond P3D v4.5 and even v5.3+. Ever since MSFS was released, v4.5 was always my fall back program for when the bugs of MSFS are getting to great, I have something stable, reliable, and still full of many products supported. I have no intent of moving to v5 just because that’s what I use P3D for. It would be silly to do such a thing. Invest in v5 just to not use it at all in two years.

Listen, I know my words won’t change the minds of FSL. To be honest, even 100 people who voiced the same thing I am wouldn’t change their minds. That’s why I am not shouting, cursing, wishing ill will on FSL, nothing of a very damning nature. A business is a business. A customer has the freedom to pay up, or shut up. I choose to save my money for greater things to come. End of story.

• Like 2
Steve Prowse
On 1/7/2022 at 3:47 AM, David Spaulding said:

It’s not another 60 bucks for me to have Concorde 2.0. I have detailed that pretty accurately for someone who can do the math themselves. It is much more than that sir. I respectfully disagree with the fact that you’re portraying. It isn’t THAT simple for some and for that reason is why some here are feeling pushed aside. I simply don’t want to invest so much just for one add-on aircraft when I have invested in something that is becoming beyond P3D. Yes, might not exactly be the best now, but it is making great strides and soon will be beyond P3D v4.5 and even v5.3+. Ever since MSFS was released, v4.5 was always my fall back program for when the bugs of MSFS are getting to great, I have something stable, reliable, and still full of many products supported. I have no intent of moving to v5 just because that’s what I use P3D for. It would be silly to do such a thing. Invest in v5 just to not use it at all in two years.

Listen, I know my words won’t change the minds of FSL. To be honest, even 100 people who voiced the same thing I am wouldn’t change their minds. That’s why I am not shouting, cursing, wishing ill will on FSL, nothing of a very damning nature. A business is a business. A customer has the freedom to pay up, or shut up. I choose to save my money for greater things to come. End of story.

Absolutely spot David.....many others I'm sure agree....but as you so rightly point out: "To be honest, even 100 people who voiced the same thing I am wouldn’t change their minds."  Just wait to see what these same people say when FSL announce that they will be developing for MSFS:lol:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
David Spaulding
Absolutely spot David.....many others I'm sure agree....but as you so rightly point out: "To be honest, even 100 people who voiced the same thing I am wouldn’t change their minds."  Just wait to see what these same people say when FSL announce that they will be developing for MSFS:lol:

That’s true. The shoe can always be worn by another foot. The question is how big of a base will there be for P3D when the other big 3rd party companies (PMDG, Aerosoft, etc.) finally complete their products for MSFS and the simulator finally gets in a more complete state? Because if it gets small enough, FSL will have no choice in switching yet again. The fact that people are saying that it makes sense to switch now to v5? Well, I can’t really 100% agree to that. Yet again, people are waiting for another fix for v5. I’m seeing multiple people twiddling thumbs, waiting, while v4.5 has no problems. Just shows how player’s priorities are always different.

Ray Proudfoot

If Rob Ainscough’s estimation is a realistic one the lifespan of v5 is closer to the end than the beginning. This is what he said...

If we follow LM's release history there will be at least a 5.4 and maybe a 5.5 before year end and V6 towards end of 2022 or early 2023.

With no estimated release date for Concorde who knows how much longer we could be waiting? It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that P3D v6 could be released before Concorde for v5 making that version of limited appeal for those who wish to have the latest P3D version.

FSL would then have to prioritise making their Airbus fleet compatible as that’s their main source of income. That could push a Concorde release back even further.

A definitive statement on a planned release date is long overdue. Just saying “later this year or next” is so out of date as to be worthless.

Norman Blackburn
24 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

A definitive statement on a planned release date is long overdue

Hi Ray,

Until LM give a definite statement in regards to their plans it would be very premature of us to even consider making a statement, would you not agree?   

Ray Proudfoot
10 minutes ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Hi Ray,

Until LM give a definite statement in regards to their plans it would be very premature of us to even consider making a statement, would you not agree?   

No. Concorde 64-bit has been designed for P3D v5 which is the current version. Why would it be necessary to wait for LM to announce when v6 will be available? I don't understand your reasoning.

Ray Proudfoot

Hi Andrew,

I am fully aware FSL has a policy of not announcing release dates but given the huge length of time it's taking to make a 64-bit Concorde available you could find events overtaking you. That's all.

Andrew Wilson
32 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Andrew,

I am fully aware FSL has a policy of not announcing release dates but given the huge length of time it's taking to make a 64-bit Concorde available you could find events overtaking you. That's all.

Of course - and I explained in my previous note that these are concerns we here at FSL will deal with on a regular basis. At this point in time, however, we can only speculate on such topics. 

Just one point to clarify - we are not simply making Concorde-X compatible in a 64bit environment. It is a new version - and significantly distinguishable from its predecessor :)

Ray Proudfoot
3 minutes ago, Andrew Wilson said:

Just one point to clarify - we are not simply making Concorde-X compatible in a 64bit environment. It is a new version - and significantly different from its predecessor 

Yes, I've known that for a number of years Andrew.  ;) We last spoke about it in 2018 at Cosford. We were both a lot younger then.

Is it your intention that it will still require adapting for each new release of P3D - even including hot fixes? Like your Airbus fleet? I hate to mention it but the PMDG aircraft don't need tweaking like that.

Perhaps that's something to do with the fact the Airbus is a flying computer with many complex systems. Hopefully Concorde - being a simpler aircraft in terms of electronic complexity - will just work without updates for each P3D change.

Andrew Wilson
6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Yes, I've known that for a number of years Andrew.  ;) We last spoke about it in 2018 at Cosford. We were both a lot younger then.

Is it your intention that it will still require adapting for each new release of P3D - even including hot fixes? Like your Airbus fleet? I hate to mention it but the PMDG aircraft don't need tweaking like that.

Yes, it will Ray. We pride ourselves at FSL on producing true-to-life aircraft titles that operate within a very narrow margin of real world performance data. The new Concorde we are working on is no exception; it is flying a four hour supersonic sector and landing within 30 seconds / 250kg of the real plan data (even on Bahrain sectors). 

This level of accuracy is simply not achievable through the default SDK, and so we are required to update our titles with any new version of P3D.  

We have recently, however, launched our new in-house Control Center - and our Airbus product line has received compatibility updates within 24 hours for any subsequent update to P3D. I see no reason why the Concorde will be any different.  

• Thanks 2
Fabrice Estienne
6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Perhaps that's something to do with the fact the Airbus is a flying computer with many complex systems. Hopefully Concorde - being a simpler aircraft in terms of electronic complexity - will just work without updates for each P3D change.

Hi Ray & Andrew,

I'm looking forward to seeing this new Concorde.

However, I would like to point out that simulation of ADC, autopilot and autothrottle is not easy for this aircraft.

And I hope that improvements have been made in these areas.

Best Regards,

Fabrice

Andrew Wilson
2 minutes ago, Fabrice Estienne said:

However, I would like to point out that simulation of ADC, autopilot and autothrottle is not easy for this aircraft.

And I hope that improvements have been made in these areas.

They've been re-worked entirely :) 

• Like 2
Ray Proudfoot
6 minutes ago, Fabrice Estienne said:

Hi Fabrice,

Concorde's are very different of course and complex in their own way.