4k TV for FlightSimulation?

Stu Antonio

Stu Antonio

While browsing for a new PC screen (I want 4k and min 40 inch), I realized that „TVs“ are actually quite a bit cheaper than „PC Screens“.

Is using a 4K TV as a PC screen a valid option or is there a good reason not to use them that I am not aware of?

Tom van der Elst

Well, read this https://www.wepc.com/gaming-monitor/compare/tv-vs-monitor/

maybe it helps :D

I decided against it, I am not that well versed in TV and monitor land and so I cannot really make

an informed decision, and I'm not the guy that trusts a salesman, and I only play flightsim.

If I were into console gaming it might have been different.

It all boils down to what you want out of it, and there's something to be said for both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
phil highton

stu i just switched from a LG 34" widescreen monitor to a 43" LG 4K TV , pros and cons. Crispness not as good as Monitor ( 1080p) but the immersion is way better , screen size alone is worth it to me , i guess you have to see for yourself but iam not going back B)

Stu Antonio
3 hours ago, phil highton said:

stu i just switched from a LG 34" widescreen monitor to a 43" LG 4K TV , pros and cons. Crispness not as good as Monitor ( 1080p) but the immersion is way better , screen size alone is worth it to me , i guess you have to see for yourself but iam not going back B)

Thanks Phil, I‘m also seeking a more immersive experience and hope for a 4K TV to be crisp enough.
But the more I read about it, the more I get concerned that it will have a negative impact on my professional work (design/3D). I think I might spend the few hundred extra bucks on a monitor. Santa is a good man :D 

Rafal Haczek
15 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

I get concerned that it will have a negative impact on my professional work (design/3D)

I work with Adobe software (mostly PP, AE, PS, LR, AI) among other stuff at my beloved desk and can't even imagine doing it on a large TV!
Once you can have two desk/equipment sets, one for work and one purely for simming, then it may be a solution, though not without drawbacks.

Here's a video by Parker Walbeck, that you may find interesting.
He is not a simmer, he's a filmmaker, but in this video he shares his pro impressions of using a TV instead of a monitor.

• Thanks 1
Stu Antonio
1 minute ago, Rafal Haczek said:

I work with Adobe software (mostly PP, AE, PS, LR, AI) among other stuff at my beloved desk and can't even imagine doing it on a large TV!
Once you can have two desk/equipment sets, one for work and one purely for simming, then it may be a solution, though not without drawbacks.

I‘m actually on two 32 inch 4K monitors right now, which is perfect for work. But I want my Sim screen to be BIGGER!! 

OvUPpc7.gif

Rafal Haczek
6 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

I‘m actually on two 32 inch 4K monitors right now, which is perfect for work. But I want my Sim screen to be BIGGER!!

I'm on 34" UW and think anything bigger and I have to change my desk (and studio) into a bigger one, not to mention my eyes. B)
Simmingwise, have you ever thought of a projector? This image can be huge (as much as you want).

Stu Antonio
3 minutes ago, Rafal Haczek said:

Simmingwise, have you ever thought of a projector?

I actually have, but my office just doesn‘t provide the size and walls necessary for setting up a beamer.

Markus Burkhard
58 minutes ago, Rafal Haczek said:

Simmingwise, have you ever thought of a projector? This image can be huge (as much as you want).

That is a bad idea. Sure a projector image can have an enormous size, but its resolution will not grow with image size, hence you will be required to sit further away to still perceive it as a crisp image, negating any size advantage. Plus most projection systems are at a substantial disadvantage towards TFTs regarding image contrast. 

Tom van der Elst

I have a screen so wide I have to physically look to the left or the right to read

the 2D mcdu.

( think tennis match left right etc )

My next screen will be smaller.

cheers

Tom.