Ready to upgrade to RTX30...

Ivan Majetic

Ivan Majetic

Good morning guys,

I need a word of wisdom. My local computer shop has both 3080 and 3080ti (Gigabyte). 

Is it worth to spend extra 600 eur for the ti version?

Thanks,

ivan

Miguel de gonzalo

If you already has the rtx 3080 I'll wait for the next generation , it ain't that far away.... Rtx 40xx is coming next year.... Wich is so close by now..... And I had read some very good new about new architecture.... Up to you.

Peter Hastings

Check out comparison videos on YouTube.  Some, like Gamers Nexus, say that the 3080ti is 8% better in gaming on average, than the 3080.

But it's, what, 60-70% more expensive?  Ultimately, it's down to you and your wallet!

7 hours ago, Ivan Majetic said:

Thanks for all your inputs. Went and bought 3080. 

Good call in getting one when you could. If some think a 30 series is hard to get imagine what it would be like when a 40 series drops. Why wait for something that is not out yet. I managed to get a 3090 for my flight PC six months after release and after a year on the EVGA Step-Up program I got a 3080 for my gaming PC. Enjoy the new card. 

Ivan Majetic
1 hour ago, Danny Moore said:

Good call in getting one when you could. If some think a 30 series is hard to get imagine what it would be like when a 40 series drops. Why wait for something that is not out yet. I managed to get a 3090 for my flight PC six months after release and after a year on the EVGA Step-Up program I got a 3080 for my gaming PC. Enjoy the new card. 

Thanks. I just checked the store where I bought it yesterday and the price went up 100 eur overnight. 

My point was also why wait for 40 series, there will be no difference when it comes to availability, and I won’t even mention pricing. 
I am really really happy with what I’ve seen playing last night, both in p3d and msfs. 

take care,

ivan

• Like 2

The high end current generation cards are monsters....if you are running 1440p, you'll never have any issues at all with anything you want to do and you really have to start pushing things at 4k especially in the simming world. I'm not finding the GPU a limit on most things, it tends to be the main CPU thread in cases of software that does not multithreading well to be the last bottleneck. 

Antonio Valcarce

always a tricky question.... someone said "if you got the money, yes always..." well, that my 18 years experience building computer tells me that is not that simple or absolute true. The reason, as usual (boring...) is: it depends. The first thing to check is the rest of your hardware, you don't want a bottle neck in your system ever. That is almost a golden rule. You may have the money for one special component, but if you have little ram, old MOBO, slow processor etc... you are wasting money, that simple.

Having said that, your specs reveal to be good enough for a system that includes the Ti. On that side seems to me it is a go ahead.

The other thing in this case is what you want it for. If your intention is eventually (but not in the next 2-3 years) move to MSFS, perhaps it is worth waiting. The 3080 and your system can run P3D as good as you may need if fine-tuned. Then, after 2-3 years both MSFS and the hardware may have evolved in a way that you won't aim for a 3080 ti but for a 3090 that, at that time won't be top of the range..., or even a faster whole system (only you know).

So difficult choice but if I was you, perhaps wait with a cheaper 3080 and leave the big update when moving on. By the way, even for running MSFS the 3080 would do quiet well; since last update, I can run it "decently enough" with a very old GTX980, a i7 990X @4.4Mhz and just 12GB of ram (I'm in the process of building a new massive one, so I'm just squeezing the old rig as much as I can in the interim).

At the end, in this case, the best option is the one that put you in the best position to cover several matters (value for money): hardware bottlenecks (including monitor resolution...), Sim to use, when you want thing and which ones (hardware evolves big time in a year), your cash availability now and in the future, your medium or even long-term plans sim wise, etc...

Not sure if helps but surely you'll make the right choice.

Cheers

Antonio Valcarce

I see I'm late, but I decided to leave my comments in case it helps someone else in the future. I'm glad to see you went for the 3080, is what I'd have done. Someone pointed out that why wait for something that is not out yet, in relation to the 40 series.. Well, you may not wait for the 40 to be out to buy it but to get a 3090ti, that today is a crazy thing, (if at that time you are agile enough in the market, you may get it at a good price and it is definitively a game changer, if the rest of your rig is balanced, which in your case it wouldn't, but that is a different story all together).

Good call

Cheers

I've had both 3080 and 3080Ti this year (luckily snagged FEs at RRP on both and actually sold the 3080 second hand for more than the Ti cost!). I can't say I notice much of a difference in P3D (5.2) between the two, but I wanted the extra 2Gb as I run 4K and was occassionally hitting VRAM limit (SW EGLL, LVFR LEMD). I was coming from a 1660 Super which couldn't even run v5 so it's been a nice few months of flying!

MSFS runs beautifully too.

After two weeks having 3080, I can say I am pretty happy with it, MSFS runs like a charm, P3D runs better than on 1080ti, ray tracing looks nice in Metro Exodus for example.

One thing that worries me is VRAM, been hitting 9.7 Gb in MSFS, but other than that no regrets. 

Unfortunately or fortunately, common sense said not to spend extra 600 euros on the ti version.