To upgrade or not to upgrade from P3D v4 to v5?

Denis Kosbeck

J0hannes Butz

Hi Denis,

compared to v4 the new P3D gave me a significant performance boost in pretty much any scenario. If your graphics card has some headroom (and supports DX12!), the upgrade should be well worth it. Can't comment much on stability; for me it runs just as stable as v4 did.

• Like 1
Denis Kosbeck

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

I think I'll give it a try, I guess I have nothing to lose with the P3D money back guarantee. Except for the time invested installing...

I recently upgraded from a GTX780 3GB to a 1660 super 6GB for MSFS which now runs just fine (no more CTD's and good FPS!). So I should be able to run P3D v5 and even benefit from improved performance. P3D v4 is running fine except with the FSL bus that for some magic reason basically became unusable (very low PFD refresh rate).

The installer for the bus is the same as for v4, correct?

Denis

Tom van der Elst
3 hours ago, Denis Kosbeck said:

The installer for the bus is the same as for v4, correct?

Denis

Correct.

Rudy Fidao

6GB you will have to be careful with, but I am managing to use my 980ti with 6GB with P3D 5.2 HF1 with 4K as well.  Be prepared to sacrifice some settings compared to P3D v4.

Performance is generally much better where you would get CPU-limited bog-down before (e.g. around complex airports).

Downside is dynamic lighting in the FSL bus has a massive impact on FPS when compared to P3D v4.  I cannot figure out why.  Hopefully it is something FSL could look at?

Cheers,
Rudy

• Like 1
Adrian West

I personally will be skipping P3D v5. I have invested heavily in P3D v4 which performs really well on my rig, and I will be sticking with that for now. I am not keen on paying another USD 200 for the licence for P3D v5, especially with the well publicised issues with P3D v5. My next sim will almost certainly be MSFS, but not until that runs with the same level of immersion that I have with P3D v4 (so I'm talking about the likes of GSX, a decent traffic add-on, Active Sky, and so on). I am crossing my fingers that FSL will develop for MSFS. 

• Thanks 1
Denis Kosbeck

I think I have been making the right choice here. I will definitely keep v5 as performance is considerably better with the FSL bus than in v4, and I can run P3D with higher graphics settings all around (AA etc. maxed out and higher autogen settings). In addition, using the landing lights in the dark no longer bring performance to it’s knees. As a matter of fact, I lose zero FPS turning on all the lights!

i am running the sim on 1920x1200 and a bit lower and the second monitor. Should have bought that 1660 two years ago when it sold for $200 and not two weeks ago when it was on the shelf for $550! Oh well…

Denis Kosbeck
On 9/17/2021 at 8:49 AM, Adrian West said:

I personally will be skipping P3D v5. I have invested heavily in P3D v4 which performs really well on my rig, and I will be sticking with that for now. I am not keen on paying another USD 200 for the licence for P3D v5, especially with the well publicised issues with P3D v5. My next sim will almost certainly be MSFS, but not until that runs with the same level of immersion that I have with P3D v4 (so I'm talking about the likes of GSX, a decent traffic add-on, Active Sky, and so on). I am crossing my fingers that FSL will develop for MSFS. 

I agree with you on your last statement. I have MSFS installed and running, and as soon as there will be good aircraft and other addons I will make the switch for good. Although, a good Airbus is really all I need. The rest is just bonus.