Jump to content

A question about Concorde-X and the Affinity Mask setting


Ray Proudfoot

Recommended Posts

Ray Proudfoot

I have a computer with Hyperthreading enabled which means my 6-core i7-8086K has 12 virtual processors. I have found out through various tests in P3Dv4 and v5 that assigning P3D to cores 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 is ideal for a smooth flight.

In my prepar3d.cfg I have an AffinityMask setting of 1365 to command that assignment. When the scenario screen is presented to me with the Cub as the default aircraft that setting is current.

However, after selecting Concorde I now find all cores are now assigned. Why? Is it reasonable to interfere with a user's settings?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Fraser Gale
20 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have a computer with Hyperthreading enabled which means my 6-core i7-8086K has 12 virtual processors. I have found out through various tests in P3Dv4 and v5 that assigning P3D to cores 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 is ideal for a smooth flight.

In my prepar3d.cfg I have an AffinityMask setting of 1365 to command that assignment. When the scenario screen is presented to me with the Cub as the default aircraft that setting is current.

However, after selecting Concorde I now find all cores are now assigned. Why? Is it reasonable to interfere with a user's settings?

Does it do the same with other “heavy load” aircraft?  
Were such processors even around all those years ago when Concorde X was coded? 
Could it be that Concorde was designed to run on cores other than the ones P3d used to help performance before the majority of us had such processors? 
 

Too many questions to give a definitive answer but I don’t think there is any great conspiracy here that requires an accusatory tone.  Please also remember that the product you are enquiring about is technically out of support so the company are not obliged to answer...

Link to comment
Ray Proudfoot

I have no other “heavy load” aircraft in v3.4. That ancient 32-bit version remains on my computer purely for Concorde flights.

For those that have “heavy load” aircraft from other developers in v3.4 do those use all virtual processors when loaded overwriting the AffinityMask setting?

Accusatory tone? It’s a reasonable question. Would it be acceptable to change Scenery Complexity from Very Dense to Sparse to improve performance?

I don’t expect any fix as it’s an unsupported product but an explanation of why that decision was taken is entirely reasonable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Fraser Gale
52 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

For those that have “heavy load” aircraft from other developers in v3.4 do those use all virtual processors when loaded overwriting the AffinityMask setting?

My experience with the AffinityMask is that it is a bit "hit and miss" - I didn't need it in v4.5, I needed it to get rid of stutters in v5.1 and now I don't need it in v5.2 so you might find there is no scientific answer.  Surely you shouldn't need to improve performance in v3 after all this time using it anyway?  I haven't changed my v3 settings for years!

57 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Accusatory tone? It’s a reasonable question. Would it be acceptable to change Scenery Complexity from Very Dense to Sparse to improve performance?

It is more the way you phrase your question.  Perhaps "could it be possible that the Concorde product is able to alter this setting in the background" would have been less accusatory.  Yes, people do have to accept that as scenery/aircraft eat up more resources they might have to turn down their settings to have an acceptable user experience so it has been accepted as such for many years - unless the people have an endless supply of new processors and GPUs. 

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don’t expect any fix as it’s an unsupported product but an explanation of why that decision was taken is entirely reasonable.

My personal opinion (just as yours is stated in the above sentence) is that if it had been several years ago maybe, but many years after purchasing a product and after it is out of support means it is a little late to be asking such questions. 

Hopefully you can get your settings to a place where you can get a compromise between "eye candy" and acceptable performance.  Does it run well when using all cores?  It should with the speed of your processor. 

Link to comment
Ray Proudfoot

@Fraser Gale, I really don't want to get into a debate about AM or performance. I just want an answer from the developers to my question.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Seth Goodwin
5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don’t expect any fix as it’s an unsupported product but an explanation of why that decision was taken is entirely reasonable.

No, it really isn't for an unsupported product.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Ray Proudfoot
2 hours ago, Seth Goodwin said:

No, it really isn't for an unsupported product.

The decision to do this was made in development. It’s not a request for support. It’s a question why that decision was made.

Link to comment
Fraser Gale
37 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The decision to do this was made in development. It’s not a request for support. It’s a question why that decision was made.

Do you know for sure that Concorde X (and only Concorde X) overrides the setting or changes the cfg file and if so how do you know?

Link to comment
Ray Proudfoot
16 minutes ago, Fraser Gale said:

Do you know for sure that Concorde X (and only Concorde X) overrides the setting or changes the cfg file and if so how do you know?

The main P3D scenario window has the Cub as the default aircraft. At that point P3D is running and if you open Task Manager and select the Details tab, highlight P3D, right-click and choose Change Affinity I see my AM setting with only selected VPs enabled.

Choose Concorde and load the sim. Then check the AM setting again. You’ll see all VPs are now enabled.

Link to comment
Fraser Gale
14 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The main P3D scenario window has the Cub as the default aircraft. At that point P3D is running and if you open Task Manager and select the Details tab, highlight P3D, right-click and choose Change Affinity I see my AM setting with only selected VPs enabled.

Choose Concorde and load the sim. Then check the AM setting again. You’ll see all VPs are now enabled.

Well, I wasn't aware you could check it like that so thanks for that trick.  The trouble with AffinityMask is it is a trick and as I said earlier everyone gets different results with different settings so it isn't an exact science.  You would have to try it with all the other default aircraft to ultimately prove the point though, not just the Cub - it could be a P3d bug and that version isn't current now either. 

Ultimately even if it does change the setting, if it was done to improve the user experience I don't think you have a case.  Frankly, (and I know you won't like this but it is a valid opinion) if she's still flyable and with reasonable settings that would have been acceptable at the time of purchase and with the "rules of the game" that were valid at time of purchase, I don't see what the problem is. 

Link to comment
Ray Proudfoot

@Fraser Gale, there was a huge discussion over at AvSim about P3Dv5 and it’s updates plus hot fixes. The use of AM on computers with Hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS makes a big difference in performance compared to not having an AM and P3D using both VPs of the first core.

In short, it gets bombarded by P3D causing stuttering and a generally poor performance.

Now I accept that for a computer of my power and the need to keep sliders reasonably for reasons of VAS I can easily maintain 30fps even without an AM setting.

But It’s the first time I’ve found P3D settings changed by a third party aircraft. I couldn’t work out why the AF setting in the cfg file wasn’t working. Eventually by a process of elimination everything pointed to something in the Concorde code to it being changed.

My post isn’t about pointing any fingers or complaining about performance. I simply want confirmation that FSL are forcing P3D to use all cores when Concorde is loaded. Heck, it might be a coding error that might transfer over to the 64-bit version so some clarification would be appreciated.

I don’t see it as a P3Dv3 feature because it would have been discovered a long time ago.

BTW, using an Affinity Mask setting isn’t a trick. It’s to prevent overload of the first core which is heavily used by P3D and FSX before it. Vital on computers with Hyperthreading enabled which my professionally built machine came with.

Link to comment
Fraser Gale

Last post from me on this one:

30 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Fraser Gale, there was a huge discussion over at AvSim about P3Dv5 and it’s updates plus hot fixes. The use of AM on computers with Hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS makes a big difference in performance compared to not having an AM and P3D using both VPs of the first core.

In short, it gets bombarded by P3D causing stuttering and a generally poor performance.

I have read many other forum posts on this subject and many people make sweeping statements that if you do such and such it will work, invariably followed by several people saying it didn't work.  As I've said, I needed AM for v3, didn't for v4.5, did for v5.1 and don't for v5.2 and my equipment nor BIOS settings have changed one bit over all those versions.  Everybody has to troubleshoot for themselves in these matters.

33 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But It’s the first time I’ve found P3D settings changed by a third party aircraft. I couldn’t work out why the AF setting in the cfg file wasn’t working. Eventually by a process of elimination everything pointed to something in the Concorde code to it being changed.

My post isn’t about pointing any fingers or complaining about performance. I simply want confirmation that FSL are forcing P3D to use all cores when Concorde is loaded. Heck, it might be a coding error that might transfer over to the 64-bit version so some clarification would be appreciated.

Whenever I've installed the FSL Airbus series I have been asked via pop up dialogue to apply settings including removing AM if I remember correctly, so I think the team at FSL know what they are doing.

37 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don’t see it as a P3Dv3 feature because it would have been discovered a long time ago.

And yet you are bringing this to attention now, years after purchasing Concorde. 

38 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

BTW, using an Affinity Mask setting isn’t a trick. It’s to prevent overload of the first core which is heavily used by P3D and FSX before it. Vital on computers with Hyperthreading enabled which my professionally built machine came with.

I'm fully aware of what it is and does because I've been using it on and off for years but perhaps our definitions of the word trick differ - I would regard any user having to edit a cfg file to circumvent inadequacies in the computer program as a trick.   

Finally, I suggest we allow the team to progress with the important stuff and leave the unsupported software where it is now, for your sake as well because you clearly want the 64 bit version to arrive asap (as we all do this isn't a criticism) and be thankful that we can still fly it in v3 at all.  

Happy flying anyway and I hope you are planning to fly her out to Oshkosh near the end of the month!

Link to comment
Ray Proudfoot
1 hour ago, Fraser Gale said:

Happy flying anyway and I hope you are planning to fly her out to Oshkosh near the end of the month!

No plans I’m afraid.

Regarding AM and the Airbus it would appear having one is still relevant according to this discussion...

https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/30283-bad-performance-on-p3dv52hf1/

 

Link to comment
×
×
  • Create New...