Computer Configuration

JPC

Hello everyone,

My actual computer will be on its third year in september. Even though those things are costly, I'm a gamer and I must admit that the pleasure of having a big powerful computer is fading away and now comes the time where I have to admit that my config just isn't good enough anymore.

Games like Mafia II, which will be out very soon, or addons like the A32X series, will definitely be too much for my computer.

So here goes : can anyone here give me the specs of an entire assembly that would be as up to date as possible in the 800-1000€ price range - not including OS and other software (just parts) ?

Forget about DVD burners, I already have that, and a serial ATA II hard drive as well so I won't need those, nor will I need another sound card.

I just need a motherboard, RAM memory, graphics card and CPU that will work together fine.

Thanks !

• 4 weeks later...

JPC,

I was in the same boat last week and purchased the following last weekend:

Q9400 Quad Core CPU

XFX HD 5870 ATI card

New case\Power supply (for the 5870)

Cost me around £500 and I run rise of flight on max settings at 65fps now (was 25 on low settings with pretty much the same spec as you).

FSX is more config and add-on related for fps but get 35 with concorde x on fairly high settings with REX and ultimate traffic 2.

Lefteris Kalamaras

Hello everyone,

My actual computer will be on its third year in september. Even though those things are costly, I'm a gamer and I must admit that the pleasure of having a big powerful computer is fading away and now comes the time where I have to admit that my config just isn't good enough anymore.

Games like Mafia II, which will be out very soon, or addons like the A32X series, will definitely be too much for my computer.

So here goes : can anyone here give me the specs of an entire assembly that would be as up to date as possible in the 800-1000€ price range - not including OS and other software (just parts) ?

Forget about DVD burners, I already have that, and a serial ATA II hard drive as well so I won't need those, nor will I need another sound card.

I just need a motherboard, RAM memory, graphics card and CPU that will work together fine.

Thanks !

An I7-930, 6GB RAM, mid-price motherboard and a GTX470 will run you just about 1000 Euro...

• 1 month later...

Update !

I've just now ordered the following elements :

ASUS P6T SE (Intel X58 Express) - ATX -

Crucial 6 Go (kit 3x 2 Go) DDR3-SDRAM PC8500 CL7 - CT3KIT25664BA1067

Intel Core i7 950 - Quad Core Socket 1366 QPI 4.8 GT/s Cache L3 8 Mo 0.045 µm

That's more or less what you recommended, right ?

I'll keep my Gainward Bliss Go 8800GT 1Go for some time because of financial reasons.

Thanks for all the help ! This could turn into a hardware discussion thread.