Too soon for P3D V5.2?

Isidoro Attie

Ross McDonagh
3 hours ago, Jeremy Smirnov said:

Which they did... Absolutely great optimization on VRAM in 5.2... I just flew the PMDG 737 with all Orbx stuff and most settings up pretty high and it stayed below 3 GB. 

Stop it!! No way!?!  what are you running for settings and addon airports?  Try LatinVFR KFLL or KMIA and then come talk to me :P

I run 4K and I have to keep my textures on 1024.  If I trade 4K for 2K (1440p) which looks terrible on my 27” Acer Predator 4K monitor-then I can get 2K textures and not run out of VRAM…

Ross McDonagh
10 hours ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Mine are all back in place and thats somewhere close to 500 entries.   Backing up is always a must.  

Norman-a backup of the scenery.cfg I take it?  Not too many of mine are .cfg entries currently-other than Orbx and a few old sceneries like T2G KMCO etc. 

If you want to convert all your .cfg scenery entries to the xml method I suggest you search Avsim for Addon Organiser for P3D by Lorby-Sl.  It will do it all for you. Most of my sceneries are in the Addons folder, and even the couple that were in the P3D folder were still there after a complete reinstall of everything.

Norman Blackburn
33 minutes ago, Ross McDonagh said:

Norman-a backup of the scenery.cfg I take it?  Not too many of mine are .cfg entries currently-other than Orbx and a few old sceneries like T2G KMCO etc. 

None of mine are listed in scenery.cfg

14 hours ago, Norman Blackburn said:

I did a full install however that wasn't needed.

I tried doing it by uninstalling and reinstalling the new client, content and scenery but my aircraft weren't displaying correctly, so I have done a complete uninstall of version 5.1 and install of 5.2.

I'm still not completely finished after about 12 hours, but I more or less have everything installed and working again except FSL.

I guess I will have to have a holiday from FSL Airbuses until they are updated. I would have waited if I knew FSL aircraft would not work in 5.2 but I had already pulled the trigger when I found that out.

12 hours ago, Camille MOUCHEL said:

Full reisntall = need to install again my 100+ scenry add on ?

Yes. easy enough to just resync Orbx but it has taken me a long time today to reinstall all my other scenery.

• Like 1
Sante Sottile
4 hours ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Having installed hundreds of sceneries I see installers placing files everywhere - even ones that let you choose your own folder.

One of the most annoying things about purchasing scenery with a simmarket installer.... Even if you point the scenery to a custom folder, it's almost guaranteed the effects, and other files will be put in the default P3D folders. I actually prefer scenery that comes with a zip file, so I can manage my own library and keep it on it's own.

Norman Blackburn
27 minutes ago, Sante Sottile said:

One of the most annoying things about purchasing scenery with a simmarket installer.... Even if you point the scenery to a custom folder, it's almost guaranteed the effects, and other files will be put in the default P3D folders. I actually prefer scenery that comes with a zip file, so I can manage my own library and keep it on it's own.

I’ve so many sim market installs I can repackage them for my setup in a couple minutes max.  They are such a pain though!

• Like 1
Jeremy Smirnov
3 hours ago, Ross McDonagh said:

Stop it!! No way!?!  what are you running for settings and addon airports?  Try LatinVFR KFLL or KMIA and then come talk to me :P

I run 4K and I have to keep my textures on 1024.  If I trade 4K for 2K (1440p) which looks terrible on my 27” Acer Predator 4K monitor-then I can get 2K textures and not run out of VRAM…

I run on a 6GB VRAM card - RTX 2060. 10th Gen Intel i7, and 16 GB 3200 RAM. It's a laptop with a native display of 1080p, so that's the resolution. Other than that, everything is pretty much either High or Ultra. 2048 Textures, all Orbx Global products and regions, Active Sky, EZDok cameras, RealTurb, and about 195 unique aircraft. I use the Predator Helios 300 (2020 model) if you are wondering. I don't use payware airports - those I only buy in MSFS. I am a latecomer to P3D and only started it on January 1st - came here from MSFS (happily running both)... P3D was always tougher on my system than MSFS. That is, until 5.2 came out. I am running 30-60 FPS (30 being the absolute lowest). The VRAM requirements went WAY down. I used to have to adjust settings down for Milviz KA350i and for TFDI 717... Not anymore. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Norman Blackburn said:

I’ve so many sim market installs I can repackage them for my setup in a couple minutes max.  They are such a pain though!

Hello Norman,

Being aware of the XML method and also desiring that sceneries (and all of their files) stay out of the main folder, what is your general methodology for this?

Because the installers do lay files all about, how do you consistently keep the install directory "clean?" Any pointers?

Thanks.

Norman Blackburn

Hi Jeffry,

I have a fake P3D folder which has a copy of Prepar3d.exe and Prepar3d.exe.config

I run a script file locally that:

Renames P3D, virtualli, SODE SimObjects & XML folders and creates blank folders in their place.

Changes where P3D is installed in the registry.  Pauses.

I then run the installer which if needed I point at the fake P3D folder.

Once done the script then grabs anything it found created, moves it to the fake P3D folder and tidies up after itself.

I then move the addon xml from docs if it was created or make one myself before finally moving the new product to its new home which is automatically picked up on next P3 start. 

• Like 3
Rado Sutto

I installed brand new v5.2. VRAM usage is amazing low, I can use 2k textures (with PMDG NGXu), no problem with blury textures. I had not VRAM usage higher than 3.5GB even over the large photosceneries or at big and badly optimized freeware airports EDDF or EGLL.

Waiting for v5.2 compatible A320...

• Like 2
Jonja Merck
I installed brand new v5.2. VRAM usage is amazing low, I can use 2k textures (with PMDG NGXu), no problem with blury textures. I had not VRAM usage higher than 3.5GB even over the large photosceneries or at big and badly optimized freeware airports EDDF or EGLL.
Waiting for v5.2 compatible A320...

Exactly! It’s crazy… I can even continue to use my aging 1080 ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Miguel de gonzalo

Does anyone use ezdok camera ? I think they said that the new release will come for the 5.2 the 25th of this month....  I think it's too much.

Has anyone try it with the old version of ezdok ? 

Thanks 

• Like 1
David Norfolk

I'm honestly very surprised with 5.2 I was expecting it to be an absolute dumpster fire. Although as I previously mentioned that EA is still abit hit & miss. It's finally good to see they fixed up the VRAM usage aswell as other issues. Maybe now is the time for those who were wondering about if going V5 is a good idea to finally make the jump. It's also good to see those who were having those issues finally be able to enjoy the sim. It's just a shame these things weren't fixed in the initial release or even 5.1. However, hopefully that's a thing in the past & maybe from here on outm we will finally see v5 come to life abit more 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
20 hours ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Hi Jeffry,

I have a fake P3D folder which has a copy of Prepar3d.exe and Prepar3d.exe.config

I run a script file locally that:

Renames P3D, virtualli, SODE SimObjects & XML folders and creates blank folders in their place.

Changes where P3D is installed in the registry.  Pauses.

I then run the installer which if needed I point at the fake P3D folder.

Once done the script then grabs anything it found created, moves it to the fake P3D folder and tidies up after itself.

I then move the addon xml from docs if it was created or make one myself before finally moving the new product to its new home which is automatically picked up on next P3 start. 

Thanks Norman,

I suspected it required some surgery of that nature - it'd be cool to see a detailed tutorial but I think I follow.  Are you using PowerShell for the scripting?  I like the concept and keep promising myself that I'll, one day, go for a "clean" P3D install as you have.

Norman Blackburn
3 hours ago, Jeffry Babb said:

Thanks Norman,

I suspected it required some surgery of that nature - it'd be cool to see a detailed tutorial but I think I follow.  Are you using PowerShell for the scripting?  I like the concept and keep promising myself that I'll, one day, go for a "clean" P3D install as you have.

I am indeed.  Used a batch file at first but progressed.

Norman Blackburn
Just now, Robert Scott said:

I'm also hearing that the current version of Spotlights will cause v5.2 to CTD.

We are already testing a new version of spotlights internally which work great.

• Like 2
phil highton
On 6/10/2021 at 6:25 PM, Norman Blackburn said:

All of my airports are installed outside of P3D.  All of them.  In my case yes it worked.  

Norman , can you do a youtube explanation video please ?, all this xml , "outside p3d" stuff makes me tremble B)

Stu Antonio
22 minutes ago, phil highton said:

Norman , can you do a youtube explanation video please ?, all this xml , "outside p3d" stuff makes me tremble B)

There are several videos out there already (see below). But I have to admit, there are also so many „special circumstances“ with scenery that isn‘t so easy to do via xml, plus some that need every part of it (landclass, sound, effects etc) to be implemented separately as well etc., at least so it seems  

Those who are familiar with the method seem to praise it for it‘s simplicity, those who are not (like me) can be quite confused and overwhealmed at first.

I guess it‘s about just trying and going step by step, seeking for advice or solutions when you encounter problems along the way. At least that‘s what I‘m going to try :)

Norman Blackburn
3 hours ago, Jonja Merck said:

Just to chime in: http://

I'm not really a fan of that method (or the presenter's style)

Things can be much more simple by having a discovery path which means that you don't need these extra folders in your P3D addons nor do you need to change the path for each add on scenery.

Isidoro Attie
3 minutes ago, Norman Blackburn said:

I'm not really a fan of that method (or the presenter's style)

Things can be much more simple by having a discovery path which means that you don't need these extra folders in your P3D addons nor do you need to change the path for each add on scenery.

Just to see If I understood, creating one “secret” folder manually inside p3d and adding all sceneries there?

Norman Blackburn
2 hours ago, Isidoro Attie said:

Just to see If I understood, creating one “secret” folder manually inside p3d and adding all sceneries there?

No, not a secret folder and not in P3D.    If its not in your Prepar3D v5 Add-ons folder then it needs to be referenced in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\add-ons.cfg

Stu Antonio
4 hours ago, Maxime Guy said:

What's the general consensus on what to do with ENVSHADE for updating to 5.2 ?

5 minutes ago, cfi86 said:

Don't install it. Not compatible yet. Caused massive lag spikes here for me.

ED76C937-19C4-4B7F-9D64-0245E489F91B.png

• Like 6