Nvidia Game Ready Driver (GRD) 466.63 crashing GPU

Alexander Polcher

Alexander Polcher

Dear Gents,

one more time Nvidia brought up driver's which are crashing my GPU. Installed yesterday 466.63 and it crashed my flight after 30 mins and keeps my GPU crashing working solely on my desktop. I would not install them and keep the previous version.

• Thanks 1
Alexander Polcher
6 hours ago, Patrick Hildebrand said:

I do not have any issues.

We've already had three different colleagues with the same issue and crashing P3D's. Seems highly depening on the system.

K_€_€_M___C_€_R_V_A_N_0

Also have this issue. Crashing my computer with "DPC Watchdog Violation" Error. Rolling back to 466.47 fixes the issue completely and PC/P3Dv5 is rock stable.

Quick look at the Nvidia forum and others are getting crashes and lockups too in other games.

• Thanks 2
Alexander Polcher
1 hour ago, Chris Frasure said:

Whats up with all of these s*it NVIDIA drivers lately?  Nothing but problems.

CF

Same with windows updates. It's not getting better at the moment.

• Like 1
Timm Rehberg

I have no problems with the latest GPU drivers and also with the latest windows update(s)!
And I am always up-to-date. I am update addicted

Stu Antonio

BTW, what make you guys think your CTDs are GPU driver related? 
Is there a specific log that leads to the driver?

'Caus I have had freezes and CTDs from time to time on all drivers for the past 2 or 3 years (I'd say 1 out of 25 flights). Sometimes it's a terrain.dll, other times something with the UI or the OOM errors or just CTDs without any explanation etc. ... What's special about your current crashes? Did you really never had any crashes before this specific driver?  

Robert Ruprecht

Personally, I cannot remember the last ctd that I had, or a complete freeze. I carried out two more flights, same departure, and route after the freeze, and subsequent ctd. ( which happened by the way at approx 1.35. Hours into the flight. LPPT to LPPD).

I updated to 466.62 yesterday, and it loaded ok, never completed, the first or second flight . I rolled back today to the previous driver, and completed both flights  with no problem. 

I cannot prove that the latest driver is the definite issue, but, because of the issues I read here ( similar to others) might have been the new driver, it was the first thing I tried. Had a nervous few minutes either side of 1.35 hours into it , but had no problems. You are right it could have been something different. However, so far, the problem has not returned, so I will stay on the rollback. If a similar thing occurs again, I will have to think again.

However with similar issues shared here, after loading the new driver, it might be the driver.  It it  looks like a duck, quacks and walks like a duck, it might just be the duck driver.

Stu Antonio
22 minutes ago, Robert Ruprecht said:

I updated to 466.62 yesterday, and it loaded ok, never completed, the first or second flight . I rolled back today to the previous driver, and completed both flights  with no problem. 

Sounds like a legit troubleshooting. 
I‘d also blame the GPU driver in your case then. Is the Windows application log giving any clues? 

Alexander Polcher
1 hour ago, Stu Antonio said:

BTW, what make you guys think your CTDs are GPU driver related? 
Is there a specific log that leads to the driver?

'Caus I have had freezes and CTDs from time to time on all drivers for the past 2 or 3 years (I'd say 1 out of 25 flights). Sometimes it's a terrain.dll, other times something with the UI or the OOM errors or just CTDs without any explanation etc. ... What's special about your current crashes? Did you really never had any crashes before this specific driver?  

Because on all three known cases the GPU crashed not related to a software and on my own experience my whole system had to be shutdown.

After re-installation of the previous drivers, everything is okay.

• Thanks 1
Robert Ruprecht

Stu

Not specifically, the error closest to the time was A Windows Shell issue, but I can,t pin that down specifically to the driver. However as that error did not repeat itself using the rollback driver, whatever that problem was, it has not repeated. I will wait and see. I must be honest I thought for 1.35 hours with the new driver, it was a graphics improvement and stable. 

Stu Antonio

Just to be clear, I‘m not saying this is not driver related. I‘m just collecting reports in order to descide if it‘s really better/wiser to roll back, that‘s all. :) Thanks you guys. 

K_€_€_M___C_€_R_V_A_N_0

Looking at the dump files, mine was caused by nvlddmkm.sys crash. Which is an part of the Nvidia drivers.

Rolling back the drivers and my system is stable again.

• Thanks 1
K_€_€_M___C_€_R_V_A_N_0

Hi guys,

466.74 is out now

Hotfix for the latest driver.

Changelog:

The hotfix addresses the following issue:

• [Kepler/Turing]:DCP WATCHDOG VIOLATION error may occur on some systems with GeForce GTX 600/700/16 and GeForce RTX 20 series GPUs [3321668][3321735]

Will test later if it really does fix the crashes I have been having with the latest driver :)